Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Uthor posted:

I really need to read Starman again. I really liked that issue set way in the future where he was telling kids about the history of Starman through time (I'm a sucker for those types of stories). Was that a DC One Million tie-in?

Has The Shade appeared anywhere else? He's so tied to the city in my mind.

Are they ever going to finish the Starman omnibus softcovers? They left me hanging after the second one, and the hardcovers are going for really high prices now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Jack Gladney posted:

Are they ever going to finish the Starman omnibus softcovers? They left me hanging after the second one, and the hardcovers are going for really high prices now.

Nope

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm finally reading through it now and goddamn this is good stuff, it's so refreshing

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Uthor posted:

I really need to read Starman again. I really liked that issue set way in the future where he was telling kids about the history of Starman through time (I'm a sucker for those types of stories). Was that a DC One Million tie-in?

Has The Shade appeared anywhere else? He's so tied to the city in my mind.

I think that was Starman Annual #2, from the summer when all DC Annuals had the "Legends of the Dead Earth" theme. Starman #1,000,000 was about Farris Knight, Ted and Jack's distant descendent, who was a dick and a traitor.

Did you ever read Robinson's Shade miniseries from 2012? He has a lot more globetrotting adventures in that series, and you'll enjoy it if you're a Starman fan like I am.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Did you ever read Robinson's Shade miniseries from 2012? He has a lot more globetrotting adventures in that series, and you'll enjoy it if you're a Starman fan like I am.

Yeah, it wasn't my favorite... Lovely art, though.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Been waiting over 3 years for it to go on sale again. :argh:

Unmature
May 9, 2008
So we all know how involved Stan Lee was with most of the comics he wrote, but does anyone know the process with his and Moebius's Silver Surfer: Parable? It reads unlike any Lee book I've read and was quite a bit later than most of the comics he's written. And Moebius is such a big time artist I wonder if Stan just slapped his name on it.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Lee probably helped with the dialogue mostly. I don't know how that project came together, but I feel like they were both savvy enough to appreciate the value of working with eachother.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I don't know if anyone else does this, but whenever I read pre-N52 Captain Cold, I always hear him as a younger Harvey Keitel. It enhances the character.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
What are some of the longest delays in comics. Like, off the top of my head Planetary took forever to finish, Neil Gaiman's run on Miracleman still hasn't technically finished, that dude from Carnivale (or Lost, cn't remembr which over rated show he wrote for) wrote a five part Ultimate Hulk vs Wolverine series, but their was a multi-year gap between issue 2 and 3. Kevin Smith took about a year to finish his Spider-Man thing and I know their was some delay for Bendis' version of Secret War. I'm basically asking if I've forgotten one.

Fake Edit, Issue 22 of Hawkeye.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The last four issues of Scud took, what, literally a decade? And we're never going to see La Cosa Nostroid finish either.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rising Stars was delayed so long that JMS forgot how to write good books before it finished.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Nonplayer :allears:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Skwirl posted:

What are some of the longest delays in comics. Like, off the top of my head Planetary took forever to finish, Neil Gaiman's run on Miracleman still hasn't technically finished, that dude from Carnivale (or Lost, cn't remembr which over rated show he wrote for) wrote a five part Ultimate Hulk vs Wolverine series, but their was a multi-year gap between issue 2 and 3. Kevin Smith took about a year to finish his Spider-Man thing and I know their was some delay for Bendis' version of Secret War. I'm basically asking if I've forgotten one.

Batman Widening Gyre part 2, which took so long they spun it off into its own 6 issue miniseries, has been delayed since 2010. Also Kevin Smith.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Do we count Daredevil: Target, or are we just accepting that that's never being finished?

In the '90s, I remember Wizard making a lot of jokes about the prolonged absence of Wetworks #2.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I know it's manga, and normally I wouldn't bring it up, but on the fascinating subject of delays, the king is Kouta Hirano, who made Hellsing's ten volumes over twelve years. If that doesn't sound too unreasonable, keep in mind that some chapters were only a few pages long, and Dragon Ball's complete forty two volumes took eleven years. He also started a prequel to Hellsing in 2001, of which there aren't even enough chapters for a single volume and remains incomplete to this day.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

X-O posted:

Rising Stars was delayed so long that JMS forgot how to write good books before it finished.

To be fair, part of the reason for the delay was business related as there was an argument between JMS and Top Cow about rights. The other part being that JMS is easily distracted.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

WickedHate posted:

I know it's manga, and normally I wouldn't bring it up, but on the fascinating subject of delays, the king is Kouta Hirano, who made Hellsing's ten volumes over twelve years. If that doesn't sound too unreasonable, keep in mind that some chapters were only a few pages long, and Dragon Ball's complete forty two volumes took eleven years. He also started a prequel to Hellsing in 2001, of which there aren't even enough chapters for a single volume and remains incomplete to this day.

If we're gonna bring manga into it, I'm going to trot out X/1999. Started in '92, got 18 volumes in, then went in hiatus in 2003 with no sign it's ever going to be finished. Actually, CLAMP does that a lot. Legal Drug was on hiatus from 2003 - 2011, when it got a new title and relaunch and really slow release schedule. I think Clover was incomplete, too? That went on "hiatus" in '99 and ain't nothing happened since. So I think CLAMP are pretty strong contenders for most hiatus-y manga team.

... Still ain't western, though, so lord knows if any of that counts.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Do we count Daredevil: Target, or are we just accepting that that's never being finished?

In the '90s, I remember Wizard making a lot of jokes about the prolonged absence of Wetworks #2.

Kevin Smith will have you tossed out of a Q&A if you ask about DD the Target.

Also the Wizard claiming that Wetworks #1 had come out was bullshit. Portacio's sister died and he withdrew from the industry for years. Yeah there was a long gap but it was from the announcement of the series to when it actually debuted. There was no multi year gap between #1 and #2.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Does that count as 'delays' at this point, or is it just an ongoing that happens to publish every 4 years as opposed to weeks?

Unmature
May 9, 2008
In the lead up to 52 (not New 52) they littered the DCU with clues to what was going to happen. One of the biggest clues was a chalkboard that someone (Rip Hunter?) had scribbled a bunch of crazy poo poo all over and Wizard Magazine dissected it. Does anyone have that Wizard page or remember what it said?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Do non releases from announcements count because I am still waiting for Bryan Singer's Ultimate X-Men.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I've been waiting four years for the final issue of Latour's Loose Ends to drop. I bugged him about it at C2E2 and he said the artist is sitting on the script. And, of course, Latour has a lot more to worry about with Spider-Gwen and Southern Bastards hitting it huge in the meantime.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I was specifically curious about gaps in the middle of a serialized story.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Speaking of which, wasn't All-Star Batman and Robin supposed to get a reboot after never finishing?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

Speaking of which, wasn't All-Star Batman and Robin supposed to get a reboot after never finishing?

Supposedly but now Miller's like dying or something so it's never gonna happen.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Supposedly but now Miller's like dying or something so it's never gonna happen.

I'm honestly going to be sad when that racist misogynistic fucker dies.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Skwirl posted:

I'm honestly going to be sad when that racist misogynistic fucker dies.

He made some great comics.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
He's dying??

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

hadji murad posted:

He's dying??

We're all dying. :ssh:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

hadji murad posted:

He's dying??

It's rumored that he has something wrong because last year he showed up to promote the second Sin City movie and looked horrible. Very thin, sickly and hairless.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's a bummer.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
That's awful. Feel bad for the guy even though I don't like what he's become.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

hadji murad posted:

That's awful. Feel bad for the guy even though I don't like what he's become.

Skeletor?

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Uthor posted:

Skeletor?

For all his faults, Skeletor at least surrounded himself with diverse people.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

He was wheelchair-bound earlier this year, as well. His health is fading fast, and it won't be a shock when he finally passes, unfortunately.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Skeletor was a musclebound motherfucker.

Frank Miller is turning into Kate Moss.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Skwirl posted:

I was specifically curious about gaps in the middle of a serialized story.

There was a ten year gap between Stray Bullets #40 and #41.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Brocktoon posted:

There was a ten year gap between Stray Bullets #40 and #41.

At the time of #40 Lapham said he had little to no interest in continuing the series though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Skwirl posted:

Smith's Spider-Man/Black Cat was delayed much longer than a year. More like 3.

The Bendis Secret War had some delays but I don't remember them being too serious - months, rather than years.

Astonishing X-Men was plagued with delays, even though they took a scheduled break after the first "season" to let Cassaday get ahead.

My favourite is Daredevil: End of Days. I'm pretty sure I quit comics and picked them back up again at least two separate occasions between that getting "announced" (to be fair, it was never actually solicited at the time) and it actually getting published. It's a different situation because it was actually published regularly once it came out (I'm fairly sure it was all done before they solicited it, though), I was just struck by just how long it took to come out.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Aug 27, 2015