Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

Nerd Of Prey posted:

You know, I don't think the size of them is really an excuse to charge that much. It would cost more in raw materials (and I guess shipping) to make them twice as tall, but all other production costs would be pretty much the same. I don't know what people think is reasonable for 6" figures these days, but a bigger version of what is in all other respects the EXACT same figure, I don't get how it adds up to that.

I don't really think Hot Toys are reasonable either, but I can see where your money is going. The level of detail is crazy. They have a ton of parts and are clearly a bitch to fully assemble, with extremely complex paint jobs, stitched clothing, etc. They articulate the loving eyeballs!

These turtles are clearly less complex than your average Legends figure in terms of the paint job and articulation. I don't think they contain $130 worth of plastic by weight. This does not add up. I think you guys are being played for suckers!

Now I'd never pay the money being asked for these turtle figures, but there's also the run times involved in producing the figures that would put the prices up.

I work in plastic injection moulding, and the larger the part, the less cavities you generally have in the tooling.

For example, for a small figure, you may have an 8 cavity tool which means eight heads are produced at once. For the larger figures, maybe you only have two cavities so you only get two heads made at once. This tends to bump prices up quite a bit due to the extra run times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Did they ever make a really good Moon Knight figure?

Also a big part of the cost for stuff is the licensing fees. Don't forget those.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Did they ever make a really good Moon Knight figure?

The best made is the Marvel Select figure, the detail is insane on it and the Khonchu statue is great. The Legends is based on the Ultimate version so it is garbage mostly. I would not be surprised if a new one isn't made sometime in the future though I can see a traditional one made with the Grim Reaper body and the new Marvel Now suited one with that new suit body, both would be pretty cheap to make as well.

BlackCircle
Oct 21, 2005

I did Nazi that butt coming

Djarum posted:

The best made is the Marvel Select figure, the detail is insane on it and the Khonchu statue is great. The Legends is based on the Ultimate version so it is garbage mostly. I would not be surprised if a new one isn't made sometime in the future though I can see a traditional one made with the Grim Reaper body and the new Marvel Now suited one with that new suit body, both would be pretty cheap to make as well.

I would kill for a figure with that suit look. It looks so great in the new comic series.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

boom boom boom posted:

Darth Vader's helmet was inspired by samurai helmets, plus the plot of Star Wars was lifted from a Japanese movie, so, y'know. not that crazy a connection.

These are also being made by a legit Japanese company so I have a little more patience for the unbearably goony concept due to the cultural accuracy

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Nerd Of Prey posted:

You know, I don't think the size of them is really an excuse to charge that much. It would cost more in raw materials (and I guess shipping) to make them twice as tall, but all other production costs would be pretty much the same. I don't know what people think is reasonable for 6" figures these days, but a bigger version of what is in all other respects the EXACT same figure, I don't get how it adds up to that.

I don't really think Hot Toys are reasonable either, but I can see where your money is going. The level of detail is crazy. They have a ton of parts and are clearly a bitch to fully assemble, with extremely complex paint jobs, stitched clothing, etc. They articulate the loving eyeballs!

These turtles are clearly less complex than your average Legends figure in terms of the paint job and articulation. I don't think they contain $130 worth of plastic by weight. This does not add up. I think you guys are being played for suckers!

Well considering that these are $20 each and smaller scale with this poo poo tier job of paint and the mold is pretty lazy .

The paint apps on the Mondo version are much better and larger scale plus these arent being mass marketed afaik (200 for subscription x 4, 500 with with the Shredder arm, no numbers on the individual release). These are standard prices for figures in this scale and "area of collecting". It's not for everyone but I truly dont think we are played for fools in this case.

In cases where people are? Hot Toys army of various Iron Man armours being charged $250-$300 (I think they have made close to 20 versions but someone can correct me on that). The high scale collecting scene has gotten pretty crazy as people with disposable income demand better figures and better detail compared to stuff found at Toys R Us.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

That cross stitching effect they put into the sculpt is embarrassingly awful.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

In cases where people are? Hot Toys army of various Iron Man armours being charged $250-$300 (I think they have made close to 20 versions but someone can correct me on that). The high scale collecting scene has gotten pretty crazy as people with disposable income demand better figures and better detail compared to stuff found at Toys R Us.

Iron Men are actually closer to $399 generally because they're partially diecast.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Honestly toys that are 1/6 scale really put me off. Like they can get away with charging crazy amounts for them, they're going to take up a huge amount of space, and they won't fit with any of my other toys. gently caress that, at least my overpriced Figmas and Figuarts can chill with my marvel legends and DC collectibles.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

therealjon_ posted:

Cross hatching, and the effect is awesome if they hadn't pinched pennies on the paint wash needed to bring them out. I've seen some where people have them a black wash and the effect is fantastic.

Those fancy turtles are fine but I can't give a poo poo about another Mirage-inspired line until they finally give me a Shredder, Utrom, and Triceradon. Wow, the same four turtles again...*yawn*.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Travis343 posted:

Honestly toys that are 1/6 scale really put me off. Like they can get away with charging crazy amounts for them, they're going to take up a huge amount of space, and they won't fit with any of my other toys. gently caress that, at least my overpriced Figmas and Figuarts can chill with my marvel legends and DC collectibles.

I kinda feel like this. I get tempted by some of them, but the combo of price and being totally out of step with my collection's general size means I can't set them up having weird inter-property parties. They're gorgeous and incredibly impressive, but ... yeah.

Props to people who do buy them, though. They're rad as poo poo. Just can't make myself take the plunge.

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Cross hatching, and the effect is awesome if they hadn't pinched pennies on the paint wash needed to bring them out. I've seen some where people have them a black wash and the effect is fantastic.

I feel like if the only way a figure looks good is if you manually repaint it at home, that's ... kinda lovely? The effect as-is looks like crap, which is disappointing. Just because it could look good aftermarket - that sucks. It leaves the figures you'd see on the shelves looking really lovely and disappointing. It ain't a drat model kit, y'know?

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

A Tin Of Beans posted:

I feel like if the only way a figure looks good is if you manually repaint it at home, that's ... kinda lovely? The effect as-is looks like crap, which is disappointing. Just because it could look good aftermarket - that sucks. It leaves the figures you'd see on the shelves looking really lovely and disappointing. It ain't a drat model kit, y'know?

The end product is pretty lovely and the penny-pincher who nixed the wash is an rear end in a top hat, I'm just saying that the sculptor made a good decision that was undercut.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Even with a wash (or paint at all) the one running down his face looks more like a scar than shading. It's not good. The shading effect on the bottom of the shell is actually pretty good when painted.

The figure was a poor effort to stick something collector's might like in the kid's line. They never should have mixed the two because they did it half-rear end so collectors won't buy it, and kids don't want it either because scarred up Raphael isn't on the Nick show. Playmates is really good at making kids' toys. When the try to veer from that they don't put in the effort and end up proving themselves right over and over that collector's don't want their stuff.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wait, it's not supposed to be scars?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I think they're supposed to be akin to comic pencil sketching but without proper paint they just look like factory mistakes.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

NECA did it right the first time. If they would have released the set now it wouldn't have bombed and we would have Shredder, Foot Clan and Ultroms. :(

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Yep, NECA are still after all these years the best TMNT figures made.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Those look good. I also saw some new(er?) figures at my comic shop that looked really good. Classic turtle look and tons of articulation even in the fingers. Honestly other than the accessories seemed pretty close to those new mondo ones.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

therealjon_ posted:

Even with a wash (or paint at all) the one running down his face looks more like a scar than shading. It's not good. The shading effect on the bottom of the shell is actually pretty good when painted.

The figure was a poor effort to stick something collector's might like in the kid's line. They never should have mixed the two because they did it half-rear end so collectors won't buy it, and kids don't want it either because scarred up Raphael isn't on the Nick show. Playmates is really good at making kids' toys. When the try to veer from that they don't put in the effort and end up proving themselves right over and over that collector's don't want their stuff.

It's just different strokes I guess. As someone that likes the turtles but nowhere near enough to spend more than $20 on one, those are pretty perfect for me. Between those and the Kraang (Utrom), Playmates is well on their way to being my ideal set of Mirage tribute toys.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

therealjon_ posted:

It actually looks pretty good and gives it a neat sketchy hand drawn effect, it's just painted like poo poo. When those came out like a year ago, I completely repainted one and was pretty happy with it. It needs more than just a wash to look good, but for $7, I can't complain that much.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
I like the look of the Mondo ones sooo much more than the NECA line. Maybe because I grew up with the animated show and not the comics, and the Mondo ones kind of split the difference a little in terms of the style.

1/6th scale though - that's normally around 12 inches, right?

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Neo_Reloaded posted:

I like the look of the Mondo ones sooo much more than the NECA line. Maybe because I grew up with the animated show and not the comics, and the Mondo ones kind of split the difference a little in terms of the style.

1/6th scale though - that's normally around 12 inches, right?

Yes, so they will be about 10" tall.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Hey everyone, I'm selling my spare Hot Toys Iron Man 2 War Machine, asking $350 + shipping. Lemme know if you want more pictures.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Vintersorg posted:

Well considering that these are $20 each and smaller scale with this poo poo tier job of paint and the mold is pretty lazy .

That's bad reasoning. Mass market garbage like that being priced (and bought!) at $20 is worse than the overpriced Hot Toys and Mondo figures and neither should be used to justify the other.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Anyone know of a good site to order custom 1/6 scale clothing? I can't find what I need on etsy and the only pre-made version of it I can find is on a broken website that doesn't even have a "contact us" page that's functional.

I'm looking for a white suit. Gonna try for a custom 1/6th scale Moon Knight.

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Anyone know of a good site to order custom 1/6 scale clothing? I can't find what I need on etsy and the only pre-made version of it I can find is on a broken website that doesn't even have a "contact us" page that's functional.

I'm looking for a white suit. Gonna try for a custom 1/6th scale Moon Knight.

eBay isn't a bad place to look. I am typically looking for 1:12 scale, but I usually see a lot of 1:6 items too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can try looking for 1/6 collector communities. Places like that generally have areas for people who do that kind of stuff to advertise.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Aliexpress has tons and tons and tons of stuff too, you might just have to play around with keywords to find what you are looking for.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
How bad about myself should I feel that I keep looking at all of the Bat-vehicles my LCBS has available from that one company (edit: Batman Automobilia) and I...I want them all? Does anyone here collect them?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

redbackground posted:

How bad about myself should I feel that I keep looking at all of the Bat-vehicles my LCBS has available from that one company (edit: Batman Automobilia) and I...I want them all? Does anyone here collect them?

I sell a shitload of those things. Just be warned, the little cases crack if you sneeze at them. Eaglemoss makes so much cool poo poo, wish I had the income to get it all.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
After getting sick of Sideshow and Hot Toys stuff literally falling apart in my hands just by slightly posing it, I've moved over to Play Arts Kai. So far I have Arkham City Batman on my shelf, with Catwoman and Poison Ivy and Dark Knight Rises on their way in the mail. You can seem to get good deals on these on eBay, both Batmen were $40 each, Ivy slightly more and Catwoman was $36 shipped.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

redbackground posted:

I get some of the Star Trek Starships that Eaglemoss do and they're pretty awesome. They do some nice rarities that have never seen any sort of release too. There's a USS Centaur sitting on my desk at work.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

evobatman posted:

After getting sick of Sideshow and Hot Toys stuff literally falling apart in my hands just by slightly posing it, I've moved over to Play Arts Kai. So far I have Arkham City Batman on my shelf, with Catwoman and Poison Ivy and Dark Knight Rises on their way in the mail. You can seem to get good deals on these on eBay, both Batmen were $40 each, Ivy slightly more and Catwoman was $36 shipped.

They made a female Commander Shepard so that was cool. The high end ones are all the guy.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

What scale are those batmobiles in? I cant seem to find the size comparisons on the site. They look decent - I like the animated series one.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Vintersorg posted:

What scale are those batmobiles in? I cant seem to find the size comparisons on the site. They look decent - I like the animated series one.
1:43, I think.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

redbackground posted:

1:43, I think.

Cool, roughly 4" or so. Thanks! :)

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

evobatman posted:

If youre wanting a figure series that doesnt fall apart, you chose poorly. Literally every Play Arts Kai I had broke, either on an elbow or knee joint. Or just their piss poor plastic. I gave up after 3.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
They're also pretty heavy, and also top heavy, so if you aren't careful with your posing they can randomly fling themselves off your shelf.

Strong Style Liger
Mar 10, 2013
I went to the local outdoor flea market this weekend and ended up finding some rare Marvel Legends figures (Warpath, Red Hand Ninja, Elektra and quite a few others). They were a great find and everything, but being out in the sun in a box did some no favors. A few have a lose bicep or thigh swivel or a loose rocker joint and I was wondering if anyone here had a tip on how to tighten the joint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Yeah, I forgot to ask: Recommendations for good, cheap stands that will work with 6-10" scale figures, preferably black and the sort that grips around the waist/hips?