Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Didn't 28 Days Later's entire second act get rewritten because there was a blood transfusion plothole they couldn't let stand?

From what I've heard, the plothole was that the 'cure' for the zombie virus was complete exsanguination, then replacing all the blood, so that the old blood supposedly never comes into contact with the new blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Tehan posted:

From what I've heard, the plothole was that the 'cure' for the zombie virus was complete exsanguination, then replacing all the blood, so that the old blood supposedly never comes into contact with the new blood.

Alex Garland and Danny Boyle have said that they realized before shooting that you probably can't completely exsanguinate anything, because they're will still be blood sequestered in capillaries and bone marrow, even if you drain them to death. That's why they changed the third act to Christopher Eccleston and his army guys in the mansion. Originally, it was supposed to be them going to the facility where the outbreak started and running into a scientist hiding out in a secured lab.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
It's kind of impressive that they found something too medically inaccurate for a zombie movie.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Young Freud posted:

Alex Garland and Danny Boyle have said that they realized before shooting that you probably can't completely exsanguinate anything, because they're will still be blood sequestered in capillaries and bone marrow, even if you drain them to death. That's why they changed the third act to Christopher Eccleston and his army guys in the mansion. Originally, it was supposed to be them going to the facility where the outbreak started and running into a scientist hiding out in a secured lab.

There's an animatic for it on the DVD. It was a really contrived and strange way to end it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Didn't 28 Days Later's entire second act get rewritten because there was a blood transfusion plothole they couldn't let stand?

It was more that they just didn't loving have a complete story and were making poo poo up as they went. I don't think they changed it because they hated the blood transfusion, they just liked their new idea better. Which it was.

I'm curious what's wrong with the blood transfusion in Fury Road?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Snak posted:

I'm curious what's wrong with the blood transfusion in Fury Road?

The thinking is that if Furiosa is that pale from blood loss, an impromptu blood transfusion wouldn't deliver fresh blood into her body fast enough to save her. In real life the actual transfusion part of the procedure takes 1 to 4 hours depending on how much blood is needed and Furiosa could die before then. Then again, the film doesn't give any hard specifics on how close to death Furiosa is and we don't know how long Max was sitting there before they reached the Citadel. It's not necessarily an outright blooper, just somewhat of a compressed time frame.

There's another issue that was brought up on the IMDB page for the film, but I can't comment on its accuracy because I'm not a professional doctor and my knowledge only extends to emergency first aid:

quote:

The concept of blood type O as the "universal donor" is in reference to packed red blood cells, which are the most commonly transfused blood product. But when Max's blood is transfused, they are transfusing whole blood, which contains both red blood cells and plasma (the liquid component of blood). There is no universal donor for whole blood. While Max's red cells would cause no problems because as they are type O, having neither the A or B antigens on their surface, his plasma would likely cause a transfusion reaction, because it would contain both A and B antibodies. With a patient exsanguinating like Furiosa, the probable transfusion reaction would be worth the risk, but for "topping off" purposes, the risk would outweigh the potential benefits. For non-emergent whole blood transfusions a same-type donor would be used.

Also Max stabbing her in the side to release the air from her chest cavity is a real procedure called a needle decompression, but she would need continuous suction to prevent her lung from collapsing again and the cause of her punctured lung would need to be addressed. The last real medical inaccuracy in the film is that it doesn't take that long to lose a pint of blood in a transfusion, so Max should have been severely weakened by the time Nux drove into the storm regardless of adrenaline.

That said, the inaccuracies are mostly all minor stuff that gets violated because you wouldn't have a film otherwise. It's not like shows like House MD where the writers just make gigantic, glaring mistakes in virtually every episode.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
O-neg is the universal donor for red blood cells, not whole blood. O-neg whole blood would contain anti-A and anti-B antigens in the plasma that would attack the recipient's cells if the recipient were A, B, or AB.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
A person can only donate so much blood without putting themselves at risk and it's a lot less than what someone dying of blood loss like Furiosa would need. And Max had been giving blood to Nux for a while, as well.

Edit: Wikipedia says a safe amount to donate is 10-15% of one's blood, while blood loss causing symptoms like those of Furiosa is 30-40%.

Kassad fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 23, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

The thinking is that if Furiosa is that pale from blood loss, an impromptu blood transfusion wouldn't deliver fresh blood into her body fast enough to save her. In real life the actual transfusion part of the procedure takes 1 to 4 hours depending on how much blood is needed and Furiosa could die before then. Then again, the film doesn't give any hard specifics on how close to death Furiosa is and we don't know how long Max was sitting there before they reached the Citadel. It's not necessarily an outright blooper, just somewhat of a compressed time frame.

There's another issue that was brought up on the IMDB page for the film, but I can't comment on its accuracy because I'm not a professional doctor and my knowledge only extends to emergency first aid:

Also Max stabbing her in the side to release the air from her chest cavity is a real procedure called a needle decompression, but she would need continuous suction to prevent her lung from collapsing again and the cause of her punctured lung would need to be addressed. The last real medical inaccuracy in the film is that it doesn't take that long to lose a pint of blood in a transfusion, so Max should have been severely weakened by the time Nux drove into the storm regardless of adrenaline.

That said, the inaccuracies are mostly all minor stuff that gets violated because you wouldn't have a film otherwise. It's not like shows like House MD where the writers just make gigantic, glaring mistakes in virtually every episode.

Yeah, all that makes sense. I think they kind of covered their rear end by establishing early on that "blood transfusions are magic life-force technology".

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Max would have a larger volume of blood since he's physically larger than Furiosa, but I don't know if that's enough to make it plausible. I found some online blood volume calculator based on gender / height / weight and there can be some dramatic differences.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Everyone knows how much blood you can safely give is determined by how much gumption and fighting spirit you have.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

Also Max stabbing her in the side to release the air from her chest cavity is a real procedure called a needle decompression, but she would need continuous suction to prevent her lung from collapsing again and the cause of her punctured lung would need to be addressed.

Considering I recall seeing the same procedure in Three Kings when Markie Mark gets a sucking chest wound, I'd assume that they had a flutter valve from leftovers from the Organic Mechanic or made a rudimentary one to regulate Furiosa's lung pressure.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

How much blood would even be going into Nux? It was a one way feed, wasn't it, not a thing where they were essentially putting his gross cancer blood in Max for Max's presumably cleaner system to flush out?

There was also at least most of a day between when he gets pulled out of Nux and when he plugs into Furiosa so that might have given him the chance to grow back some bloods.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It's got some inaccuracies, but surprisingly few for a film that has a pretty large number of medical procedures in a non-medical film. The mistakes that do get made are likely intentional to keep the story going, rather than Miller just not having a clue.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I think it's pretty unlikely that he didn't have a clue given his background, and the medicine isn't so implausible as to be an issue. I've seen people come back, healthy, months after the missed diagnosis of tension pneumothorax. I've seen people come in with sucking chest wounds they've had for a few hours "because I figured it would get better." I've seen Jehovah's Witnesses (who will not accept transfusions) survive states of shock similar to Furiosa's. I thought it was a fairly sound depiction of post-apocalyptic field medicine, really.

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot

TerminalSaint posted:

I don't believe so. I can't find it, but I remember reading an interview where he talked about seeing the trailers they'd come up with and saying he was worried about the film living up to them.

Lucky for him that the film more than lived up to the trailers.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
As a layman the only thing that seemed weird to me was that all their hypodermic needles were huge fishhooks rather than the needles we know.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Terrible Horse posted:

As a layman the only thing that seemed weird to me was that all their hypodermic needles were huge fishhooks rather than the needles we know.

I'm probably wrong, but my reading was that the fishhook needle Max pulls out of himself was supposed to be a straight needle that got bent around during the car crash he was just in. I thought the needles he used for Furiosa were just regular old needles. Again, haven't seen the movie in a while and the Bluray's not out for a couple weeks.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Crappy Jack posted:

I'm probably wrong, but my reading was that the fishhook needle Max pulls out of himself was supposed to be a straight needle that got bent around during the car crash he was just in. I thought the needles he used for Furiosa were just regular old needles. Again, haven't seen the movie in a while and the Bluray's not out for a couple weeks.

No way, that needle was shaped that way on purpose.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Just popping in here to say everybody who loved this movie owes it to themselves to watch both of the Happy Feet movies. They have the same sort of itchy energy and ethos towards the image and how it relates detail better than straight exposition, which is probably a bad way to describe all these movies and how they look but part of the strength of a compelling image is the inadequacy words gain when describing it so, whatever. When you watch em you'll "get" it.

Maybe someone brought these up earlier but hell if I'm going to read this whole thread to find it.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Young Freud posted:

i was gonna say the second act mighta suffered for the change but whoa :eyepop:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, but like, that's the funniest reason for deciding against doing that stupid cure idea. Like, came up with the idea that someone could be cured by taking all of their blood out. But then they realized that IT"S NOT REALISTIC TO TAKE ALL THE BLOOD OUT OF A PERSON and were like welp, back to the drawing board. Can't do some other kind of cure.

Also in the original ending they were going to put the infected blood they took out of the person the were curing back in to the blood donor, leaving them infected. because of reasons. When i watched that special feature on the dvd I thought "holy poo poo now I understand why every bad thing about this movie is the way it is."

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Snak posted:

Also in the original ending they were going to put the infected blood they took out of the person the were curing back in to the blood donor, leaving them infected. because of reasons. When i watched that special feature on the dvd I thought "holy poo poo now I understand why every bad thing about this movie is the way it is."

aaand now I'm back to mourning the Corman film that never was

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

aaand now I'm back to mourning the Corman film that never was

I'm not sure what you're referring to... fill me in?

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Googling corman gave me this:
Roger William Corman is a legendary American independent film producer, director and actor. He has been called The Pope of Pop Cinema, and is known as a trail blazer in the world of independent film.

So I'm guessing its a reference to Cormans films. If 28 days had that blood transfusion ending it would be like a Corman film i guess?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
saw this on reddit, one of the early drafts that George Miller did on a plane in 1997
https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/3ibfw4/this_is_the_fury_road_legend_that_george_miller/

There's an image, but the top comment is a transcript that many will find easier on the eyes.

King Diamond
Dec 26, 2005

Snak posted:

saw this on reddit, one of the early drafts that George Miller did on a plane in 1997
https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/3ibfw4/this_is_the_fury_road_legend_that_george_miller/

There's an image, but the top comment is a transcript that many will find easier on the eyes.

GYNOTOPIA

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Snak posted:

It is crazy what survived this to the final film

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Someone on my Facebook said this film "sucks" and compared it unfavorably to Formulaic Marvel CGI Superhero Origin Story Movie Part 12: Now with Paul Rudd Because We're Running Out Of Leading Men To Put In Tights.

You guys would all vote to acquit if you were on the jury, right?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Depends on who they call to the WITNESS stand.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Shadeoses posted:

Remember to chrome your mouth before testifying there.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Shadeoses posted:

Behold, the only decent and context-appropriate witness joke ever loving made on the internet.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Behold, the only decent and context-appropriate witness joke ever loving made on the internet.

:mediocre:

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

WITNESS, the only decent and context-appropriate witness joke ever loving made on the internet.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Days Since A lovely Witness Joke Was Made: 0

:smug:

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Days Since A lovely Witness Joke Was Made: 0

:smug:

god drat it :negative:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

I'm going to say mean things on the internet to the next person who comments on my deviantART fanart of the Bullet Farmer with "WHAT A LOVELY DAY!" <:mad:> It's not even a Bullet Farmer quote you uncultured swine!

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
Honest Trailers did their Mad Max: Fury Road trailer and it is :perfect:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Honest Trailers is barely a step above Cinema Sins in quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Honest Trailers is barely a step above Cinema Sins in quality.

Honest Trailers makes CinemaSins look like Every Frame A Painting.

• Locked thread