Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

So how much does the increased accuracy help in a cruiser like the Omaha? I'm not sure the AA is worth half a mil.

I swear every game I play in my Omaha I wind up against at least one Cleaveland and that rear end in a top hat always winds up on my side of the map. The worst part is I've had multiple battles where the Cleveland just drives merrily along broadside to me, I put 5-6 shots into his citadel (thanks to whoever posted that Cleveland diagram a couple weeks ago), and still end up doing way way less damage than him just farting HE at me endlessly. I know I'm playing down a tier but come on, shouldn't accurate AP to the citadel be hurting more than the HE spam?

...just 30k more xp to go :shepface:

Reztes fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

TSBX posted:

So is there a reason behind this besides WG's lining their coffers with purchased gold made from people getting rid of skills that this information isn't in the description on?

EDIT: I just realized that this in reference to skills I can't even see yet. It's me, I'm the pubbie.

It's also not talking about skills that your captain can learn but modules that you can install on your ship.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Welp, I'm done with this game until the patch comes out and then I'm done completely if it doesn't get drastically better.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Switching in the Accuracy upgrade instead of the traverse upgrade has made the Furutaka bearable. I had no idea the loving thing was making the guns load slower. :negative:

E: It's already helping.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Aug 25, 2015

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

:black101:

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

drawchat:

I just had a thought that might curb some of the frustration with draws: like some other wargames (i was inspired just now by Rule the Waves), how about having differing victory levels? ie, Major victory for killing all the enemies and/or capping, decisive victory for having >50% cap points when time runs out or a rough point-value based comparison for remaining ships on each team, and minor victory for having only a small amount of cap points / lead in remaining ships.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
I dunno, I think I'm gonna take a break for now. I can't stand the utter insane bullshit that is CVs. It is unthinkable that they continue to exist in this state, making high tier DD play basically impossible, but whatever.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
DDs will get Anti-Air skill in 2 days. This might help a bit. Hopefully the cooldown is shorter than on Cruisers.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Tank Boy Ken posted:

DDs will get Anti-Air skill in 2 days. This might help a bit. Hopefully the cooldown is shorter than on Cruisers.

Not really, but whatever. It still doesn't stop the CVs from making GBS threads on you every time the skill is down, or spotting you. Maybe I'll just play CVs from now on, its just so loving easy to get a 60% win rate and never die, and its obvious WG has no interest in balancing them anytime soon.

Sneaky Kettle
Jul 4, 2010
Clevelands are assholes every day of the week. They're a nuisance to use outside 8km and a menace to fight inside 8 km. I didn't cry when I sold mine, though the Pensacola is one of those ships, like the Aoba, that only really does well when nobody is shooting at it. The armor is paper thin and the citadel is gigantic.

Honestly, I discovered the accuracy mod for the Omaha makes the difference between usually penning the citadel on a cruiser and always penning the citadel. It makes the already excellent guns into a nightmare for anything Tier 3 through 7. Use the B hull: the extra guns and torps are worth the AA tradeoff.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Just got the Clemson. It's my second game and the captain's not even retrained yet.

This happens:

So do the US DDs get even better, or remain about at this level of fun?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

AlphaDog posted:

Just got the Clemson. It's my second game and the captain's not even retrained yet.

This happens:

hahahaha
oh boy
enjoy the Nicholas while it lasts, its all downhill from there.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
How the hell is a tier 5 US carrier supposed to defend from a tier 5 Jap carrier?

Twice today I have been bum rushed and blown up by 3 torp and 2 bombers. Sure I switched to 2 fighters and 1 bomber but no matter what I do I can't kill enough before my carrier gets raped.

inkwell
Dec 9, 2005

Raged posted:

How the hell is a tier 5 US carrier supposed to defend from a tier 5 Jap carrier?

Twice today I have been bum rushed and blown up by 3 torp and 2 bombers. Sure I switched to 2 fighters and 1 bomber but no matter what I do I can't kill enough before my carrier gets raped.

If you set your two fighter squadrons on 2 of the torp sqadrons, you just have to dodge the one torp salvo. and the Bogue actually has decent AA guns, so you might take out a couple before they drop. But yeah if the enemy decides to rush you they stand the best chance of being able to mess you up bad. Assuming you can hold off the first wave, mopping his planes up should be easier.

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
The Myogi is so loving bad

Can't hit another battleship's broadside at 7km because RNG says no :suicide:

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Raged posted:

If you're running the 2 fighter config, you really shouldn't have many problems defending yourself. take a look at the layout of your forces and send your fighters (or even your bomber during the initial rush) to the empty spaces so he can't sneak around but try not to over-commit. In most cases you should be able to interdict a strike package well before it gets to you. If they have fighters, make sure to group your fighters before attacking theirs. Own the skies!

The 2 fighter mod isn't much fun unless you really like air superiority and griefing other CVs, but I probably used it through most of my Bogue. Now I'm on the Lexington and although the 2/1/1 looks great on paper, I always seem to be fighting up-tier matches and AA just melts all my bombers so it's tough to be effective like it was in T6-7.

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman

AlphaDog posted:

This happens:

this is nicholas:

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
So I just had to buy the N Carolina, Cleveland, and Nicholas back to back and I've finally hit the credit wall and run out of money. What's the best ship to go out and earn cash on?

Also, the Cleaveland is amazing. After grinding through the BB line and being harassed by them at every turn, it's nice to finally be able to poo poo hot lava streams over BBs everywhere.

vvvv I just zig zag about ~10km out so all 12 guns can rain and I have learned quickly to try and hold back a bit at the beginning and stick with the BBs. The few times I've tried to rush I've gotten wrecked pretty quickly. vvvv

Dark Helmut fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 25, 2015

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Switching to the Cleveland was rough because the Omaha was great with AP for citadeling fools. Head on that thing was more dangerous than broadside.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Omaha is better for its tier than Cleveland is :colbert:

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

I don't even know what the fuck I'm doing!!

Dark Helmut posted:

What's the best ship to go out and earn cash on?

I don't know of a better one then the Murmansk for quick games and good consistent cash flows.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Bitter Beard posted:

I don't know of a better one then the Murmansk for quick games and good consistent cash flows.

This is still a pretty good deal: https://www.kinguin.net/category/17812/world-of-warships-cruiser-murmansk-1-port-slot-7-days-premium-1000-tokens-us-bonus-code/

(NA only)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I went up against a Furutaka in the Nicholas at close range with my torps on cooldown, and I killed him with 8 Citadel hits. The Nicholas is basically a solid light cruiser masquerading as a DD and you will enjoy it as much as the Clemson.

Also, the Clemson has a secret and excellent power once you get the gun upgrade: It turns all your turrets into doubles.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Dark Helmut posted:

If you're running the 2 fighter config, you really shouldn't have many problems defending yourself. take a look at the layout of your forces and send your fighters (or even your bomber during the initial rush) to the empty spaces so he can't sneak around but try not to over-commit. In most cases you should be able to interdict a strike package well before it gets to you. If they have fighters, make sure to group your fighters before attacking theirs. Own the skies!

It doesn't even matter if you use two fighters, and it's one of the reasons you see so many IJN carriers run strike packages. I've lost entire fully upgraded fighter squadrons to singular US squadrons on a semi-regular basis. This includes those from a tier below me. While over friendly ships with AA. While only managing to kill 1-2 planes. Like, I can understand making US fighters better from the whole "That's their specialty" angle, but if you're making the fighters of the other side basically worthless in exchange, amazingly it isn't that surprising that many players may dump them. Especially since that inability to kill poo poo in a reasonable timeframe carries over to killing bomber squadrons too. In terms of actual per squadron effectiveness, there's nowhere near that kind of gap in bombers.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Lord Koth posted:

It doesn't even matter if you use two fighters, and it's one of the reasons you see so many IJN carriers run strike packages. I've lost entire fully upgraded fighter squadrons to singular US squadrons on a semi-regular basis. This includes those from a tier below me. While over friendly ships with AA. While only managing to kill 1-2 planes. Like, I can understand making US fighters better from the whole "That's their specialty" angle, but if you're making the fighters of the other side basically worthless in exchange, amazingly it isn't that surprising that many players may dump them. Especially since that inability to kill poo poo in a reasonable timeframe carries over to killing bomber squadrons too. In terms of actual per squadron effectiveness, there's nowhere near that kind of gap in bombers.

I was giving him advice on playing the Bogue (US fighters). I'm sorry about your IJN fighter woes. :japan:

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

LegoMan posted:

Switching to the Cleveland was rough because the Omaha was great with AP for citadeling fools. Head on that thing was more dangerous than broadside.
Cleveland can citadel anything you could citadel with an Omaha, and it is much less likely to be citadeled in return. Just have to get used to the longer flight time and learn the lead.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

Hazdoc posted:

Not really, but whatever. It still doesn't stop the CVs from making GBS threads on you every time the skill is down, or spotting you. Maybe I'll just play CVs from now on, its just so loving easy to get a 60% win rate and never die, and its obvious WG has no interest in balancing them anytime soon.

This makes me wonder something, since I've just started playing recently: is there a good reason to actually go past about Tier 5? Seriously, the lower level cruisers and destroyers seem like tons of fun so far and the upper level nonsense I keep reading about makes it look like the balance up there is completely wonky with no major benefits in terms of fun. I'm genuinely considering just sticking with my Omaha and the other low-level ships in my collection. Is there a particular reason to not do this that I'm unaware of?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Dark Helmut posted:

I was giving him advice on playing the Bogue (US fighters). I'm sorry about your IJN fighter woes. :japan:

To be fair, I was tying into it. There's no real reason for him, if he's using a fighter loadout, to send both squadrons against a singular IJN fighter squadron, as opposed to having the other one on patrol. Fighters can be used as bait to create a hole, after all.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

grrarg posted:

Cleveland can citadel anything you could citadel with an Omaha, and it is much less likely to be citadeled in return. Just have to get used to the longer flight time and learn the lead.

My problem with citadeling things using the Cleveland is the angle of the shells is frequently 45° at impact.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

wdarkk posted:

My problem with citadeling things using the Cleveland is the angle of the shells is frequently 45° at impact.

You can get them by plunging the shots through the deck armor with the high arc.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

GenericServices posted:

This makes me wonder something, since I've just started playing recently: is there a good reason to actually go past about Tier 5? Seriously, the lower level cruisers and destroyers seem like tons of fun so far and the upper level nonsense I keep reading about makes it look like the balance up there is completely wonky with no major benefits in terms of fun. I'm genuinely considering just sticking with my Omaha and the other low-level ships in my collection. Is there a particular reason to not do this that I'm unaware of?

No not really, the game starts to get pretty frustrating, but just log in and have fun and do your doubles on several lines and in less time than you think you will be to tier 10 in that line. I'm waiting for the patch to hit before playing again too though.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Lord Koth posted:

To be fair, I was tying into it. There's no real reason for him, if he's using a fighter loadout, to send both squadrons against a singular IJN fighter squadron, as opposed to having the other one on patrol. Fighters can be used as bait to create a hole, after all.

Gotcha. I always just try to mob the fighters first so I lose fewer of my own but that makes sense too.

To the point of playing past Tier 5, I just like the cool factor of unlocking new poo poo which is probably the same as every game ever. I'm not necessarily having a ton more fun and the higher tiers are definitely more of a grind, but I can always go back and play the old stuff. Rebought the St Louis the other day and had a blast with goons.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I am legitimately looking forward to the Aoba and the New Mexico, at least.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Some of the higher tier ships are really loving fun.

Imagine if the RNG hosed off and you succeeded or failed on your own merits alone. That's basically what the Zao's guns are like.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

grrarg posted:

Except the Omaha is lower tier whereas the Cleveland gets tier 7-8 BB which you should be throwing HE at.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

GenericServices posted:

As in War Thunder (any game): Play what is fun to you. Having T10 ships which you don't enjoy is pointless. F2P games offer progression. That doesn't mean that you have to progress.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tank Boy Ken posted:

As in War Thunder (any game): Play what is fun to you. Having T10 ships which you don't enjoy is pointless. F2P games offer progression. That doesn't mean that you have to progress.

This, seriously. I spent like 400 games in my Sherman and Churchill back in the day in tanks, both tier five. I learned how to play, had a ton of fun, and made a lot of silver. Only after a long time did I start going up to tier six and beyond, and even then there was a purpose: clan wars.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

LegoMan posted:

Except the Omaha is lower tier whereas the Cleveland gets tier 7-8 BB which you should be throwing HE at.

If I remember the chart someone posted several pages back, the Omaha can see up to tier 7, but the Cleveland can see tier 9.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Astroniomix posted:

If I remember the chart someone posted several pages back, the Omaha can see up to tier 7, but the Cleveland can see tier 9.

That still protects the Omaha from the Mogami, North Carolina, and Iowa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Bitter Beard posted:

Also the Murmansk keeps me in Confederate signal flags for grinding through stock hulls faster, it's really great at pooping damage on a ton of people seriously

E:

Dark Helmut posted:

I just started the Bogue and tried the double fighter build and goddamn you hardly have any replacement planes if you do get shot down - 50% more squads with 2-6 fewer planes than the Langley means 2 replacement planes per squad, why the hell did I decide to play US carriers again :psyduck:

Reztes fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 25, 2015