Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Gold bugs and silver stackers love having all their eggs in one basket/bedroom. The upside is that at least someone got the opportunity to enjoy spending it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Suspicious Lump posted:

Haha this is amazing. I never understood why people keep gold in their home when you can buy gold and have it stored at the mint, with a few clicks you can sell or buy more.

Because then you can't go look at it.

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005
At work, I've discovered most of my co workers are absolutely hopeless with money, despite most if them having household incomes in the $125-175k range. It really makes me afraid of ever having kids, seeing the financial abyss it seems to inevitably cause.

For example, at work we have long term disability insurance provided by the company for free. It kicks in 30 business days after you become disabled and pays 75% of your salary. For about $13/week, you can buy short term disability, in order to have your disability kick in after 14 days instead of 30. I loudly exclaimed that this is about the biggest ripoff I've ever seen, as after about 6 months of paying that you'll have paid them more then you can ever possibly get back.

Naturally, quite a few co workers were indignant. You just don't get it, just wait until you have kids and have to pay on three credit cards. Husband is an engineer at Ford, she works in a hospital lab, combined income of $150k, and she has to buy the ripoff insurance AND keep 2 weeks PTO in the bank at all times because they'd be missing bill payments if they even lost one of their incomes for a single week.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Devian666 posted:

He should have diversified into a safe, a secure door and secure storage outside of his home.

The best door in the world is worthless if you don't loving lock it :psyduck:

quote:

The victim said Martinez knew he collected gold and silver and had been inside his house on many occasions to do odd jobs and care for his dog. The man said Martinez also knew he kept one of his doors unlocked.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
drat fool might as well have dropped his pants and spread. :goatsecx:

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Devian666 posted:

The ultimate in bad with money: that $2m worth of gold and silver I keep in the spare bedroom has gone missing.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...43d3_story.html

What will they do now if the world economy collapses and they have to exchange worthless gold and silver for valuable food and alcohol.

I love that one pawn shop bought $340,000 of gold coins from the guy, like how could that possibly not be suspicious

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Xequecal posted:

At work, I've discovered most of my co workers are absolutely hopeless with money, despite most if them having household incomes in the $125-175k range. It really makes me afraid of ever having kids, seeing the financial abyss it seems to inevitably cause.

For example, at work we have long term disability insurance provided by the company for free. It kicks in 30 business days after you become disabled and pays 75% of your salary. For about $13/week, you can buy short term disability, in order to have your disability kick in after 14 days instead of 30. I loudly exclaimed that this is about the biggest ripoff I've ever seen, as after about 6 months of paying that you'll have paid them more then you can ever possibly get back.

Naturally, quite a few co workers were indignant. You just don't get it, just wait until you have kids and have to pay on three credit cards. Husband is an engineer at Ford, she works in a hospital lab, combined income of $150k, and she has to buy the ripoff insurance AND keep 2 weeks PTO in the bank at all times because they'd be missing bill payments if they even lost one of their incomes for a single week.

Are any of your co-workers trying to have children? Upcoming maternity leave was the reason we boosted our short-term disability.

Because yeah, otherwise it's a pretty terrible ripoff. Although usually if you buy extra coverage you get a larger percentage of your income. Are you sure you don't get 50% by default and 75% if you buy the additional insurance?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Kids don't cause financial nightmares necessarily, but most people are terrible with money and kids are a big expense. Since most people have kids, that means that usually they're a disaster because their parents already were kind of hopeless.

SmuglyDismissed
Nov 27, 2007
IGNORE ME!!!

Suspicious Lump posted:

Haha this is amazing. I never understood why people keep gold in their home when you can buy gold and have it stored at the mint, with a few clicks you can sell or buy more.

Because when society collapses you won't be able to go and claim your gold.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
I was talking with an acquaintance about investing, while at a party not long ago. I moved on to other subjects when he told me his house is his retirement plan. :psyduck:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Adiabatic posted:

I was talking with an acquaintance about investing, while at a party not long ago. I moved on to other subjects when he told me his house is his retirement plan. :psyduck:

Is it a nice house? That doesn't sound like the greatest plan, but it's not terrible retirement plan when compared to the 40% of people who answer that question with "the lottery."

The joke will be on us when the government slaps a punitive tax on our 401k's to support all those people who didn't win the lottery. Mr. House-Retirement won't look so silly then.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Or go long in cat food shares.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BWM is finally moving money from a money market account to index funds...last week. :shepspends:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Subjunctive posted:

BWM is finally moving money from a money market account to index funds...last week. :shepspends:

Only BWM if you sell it now!

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Looks like the market is rebounding, I missed the bottom! Wait, what if this is a dead cat bounce? What if everything goes to poo poo again right after this? Surely, if I held on for another day or two, I could reap even greater gains. But what if the market just recovers and I really did miss this bottom? What about trading VIX? Surely that's the ticket here, I could have tripled my money. But maybe the volatility is going down in absolute terms, so I should short VIX? Yeah, and then leverage that poo poo. 3X Leveraged ETF with funds from a HELOC sounds about right. Also, I'm supposed to be executor of this trust but they'll thank me for dipping into it for this sure a thing.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Krispy Kareem posted:

Is it a nice house? That doesn't sound like the greatest plan, but it's not terrible retirement plan when compared to the 40% of people who answer that question with "the lottery."

The joke will be on us when the government slaps a punitive tax on our 401k's to support all those people who didn't win the lottery. Mr. House-Retirement won't look so silly then.

A house is a sound part of a retirement plan, but you can't eat a house.

...can you?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Nail Rat posted:

...can you?

Let me consult the experts

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Only BWM if you sell it now!

True, and I'll probably move more this week because long-term Vanguard is better than a glorified checking account. Thanks, GWM-bro!

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2669292

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

baquerd posted:

Also, I'm supposed to be executor of this trust but they'll thank me for dipping into it for this sure a thing.

Haha this is literally happening to me right now. Before my grandma passed away in 2014, she passed a sizable piece of land and an attached investment account to her two kids and six grandkids in a limited partnership. We just found out my aunt (general partner) has been trading on margin with partnership assets :magical: Although in her case it's less about "beating the market on this great piece of investment advice" and more "trying to recoup the money she's stolen from the partnership to cover her credit card debt and legal fees".

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

pig slut lisa posted:

Haha this is literally happening to me right now. Before my grandma passed away in 2014, she passed a sizable piece of land and an attached investment account to her two kids and six grandkids in a limited partnership. We just found out my aunt (general partner) has been trading on margin with partnership assets :magical: Although in her case it's less about "beating the market on this great piece of investment advice" and more "trying to recoup the money she's stolen from the partnership to cover her credit card debt and legal fees".

Sometimes I'm glad my family is poor, so I don't have to worry about money tearing us all apart

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

The past month or two I've been cringing at the thought of putting more money into funds when everything has been at peaks (Except for the Canadian market :canada:). So while my gains from the last year have just about been wiped out, I also have a very good opportunity to put more money in. This is very much a stock sale to me still.

Just have to try not to attempt to time the market by only buying at the bottom. I think I'll just start up putting in money regularly again

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Nail Rat posted:

...can you?

You can eat the food you buy with Social Security checks in your paid-for house quite nicely. Hell, two SS checks in a paid for house will make you better off than the average retiree by a longshot.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Radbot posted:

You can eat the food you buy with Social Security checks in your paid-for house quite nicely.

Drywall is surprisingly high in fiber and stucco sprinkles nicely on a green leafy salad.

Tile is terrible on the bowels.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

triplexpac posted:

Sometimes I'm glad my family is poor, so I don't have to worry about money tearing us all apart

Money tears apart poor families just as well. There's less of it to go around so people fight over it more desperately, especially when there's a windfall such as inheritance.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Krispy Kareem posted:

Drywall is surprisingly high in fiber and stucco sprinkles nicely on a green leafy salad.

The gently caress are you talking about?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Devian666 posted:

He should have diversified into a safe, a secure door and secure storage outside of his home.

Sounds like...a...bank...?

Vvv: holy poo poo no way????

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 25, 2015

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

NancyPants posted:

Sounds like...a...bank...?

thatsthejoke.jpg

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I think everyone who is saying the TEOTWAWKI gold hoarder should have trusted banks and computers more is kinda missing the whole point of that thing.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Nail Rat posted:

...can you?

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Krispy Kareem posted:

Radbot posted:

We were talking about eating houses. Where the gently caress have you been?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Krispy Kareem posted:

The logical progression of any financial discussion imo

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah if you can't follow a classic Eating Houses gag, maybe finance isn't the field for you.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Krispy Kareem posted:

Specifically talking about how the person in question wouldn't have to eat their house, is where I've been.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Radbot posted:

Specifically talking about how the person in question wouldn't have to eat their house, is where I've been.

You should probably take a break from posting

And eat some drywall

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Radbot posted:

I think everyone who is saying the TEOTWAWKI gold hoarder should have trusted banks and computers more is kinda missing the whole point of that thing.

No one could trust a bank with $2m you know they'd steal it. Unlike your neighbour who you let into your home who claims to sell drugs when you ask where the money came from. That guy will be trustworthy with $2m of gold and silver that will never be recovered.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Radbot posted:

Y'know it is a thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9o6loVbzvg

Courtesy of My Strange Addiction. Don't watch that show, btw. probably :nms:

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

You should probably take a break from posting

And eat some drywall

:clint: "Neighbor, how long has it been since you had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Drywall? Well, that's too long!" :fork:

(I miss the :texas: emoticon)

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Krispy Kareem posted:

All of this house-eating talk and one of my co-workers just dropped this gem- he built a waterfall in his backyard. Backstory: he bought a house in East York, Toronto about 2 years ago (first home purchase). Last time I spoke to him, he was fretting over the size of his mortgage: ~$700K. He cashed out all of his investments for the downpayment. Very little liquid savings. His roof needs to be re-done, his house is slanted and on an unnatural grade, and he has nothing saved up for property taxes or any other "what-ifs".

Just today he showed me his latest project- a waterfall. He walked around the entire office showing everyone pictures of it on his smartphone. Super :smug:. According to him, "We figured that a nice house deserves a nice backyard."

He went from crapping his pants about his mortgage to installing a waterfall in his backyard. His next project? Tearing down a wall in one of the upstairs rooms, and replacing it with a floral, glass-etched wall "to bring some natural light into the room". I've watched him go from a desperate first-time homeowner to someone who has just put on blinders and has shifted his focus entirely on keeping up appearances.

I would've dismissed the whole thing if it weren't for the fact that he skips meals and forces himself to go hungry pretty much every day. And whenever he gets sick with a cold, it devastates him because he isn't eating properly or taking care of himself. This isn't schaudenfraude, by the way. It's like watching insanity slowly happen. And before this, he was bragging about spending nearly $10,000 on furnishing their main floor, and asking me about home equity credit lines.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 26, 2015

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
It sounds like you can contribute to making your co-worker a BWM success. Increased borrowing and insane projects that sound inspired by lovely TV shows about houses. He won't need much more encouragement to have unsustainable monthly payments if he's skipping food. Food being the first thing people cut when they want to keep paying all the bills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I noticed somebody talking about Kangen Water way earlier in this thread.

When my brother talked about how his friend who bought the water machine for ~$3000 and I said it was a complete scam the very moment I knew about it's existence.

His rebuttal? Those that drank it "felt better", yeah because there's is no such thing as placebo or confirmation bias.

• Locked thread