Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Fojar38 posted:

I'm getting really sick of seeing this lumped in to arguments about why 20th Century Communism was cool and good. The third loving reich made a bunch of technological achievements including the first manmade object in space but nobody accepts that as a defense of fascism, for good reason.
:cmon:

The nazis hijacked the most developed bureaucracy, economy and military on the planet. They leeched off it, then crashed and burned like a thousand burning stars when their incompetence caught up with them. If they had done something worthwhile, people would be impressed with them too(just think about Napoleon and how he is viewed today). The hilarious truth is, that the Nazis didn't amount to poo poo. The only worthwhile thing that they managed to pull off was an anti-smoking movement and some improvement in social benefits to the working class.

Soviets started with 250 million malnourished potato serfs after the war, squatting in their burned-out potato fields and destroyed cities. Ten years later and they are cruising around in space. That's some pretty impressive poo poo.

e: poo poo, i thought this was the novorussia thread. ignore the post.

GABA ghoul fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Aug 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Chinese government looks at the spat Russia has with EU and USA and probably smirks quietly before ripping Russia off. It's worth reminding that the whole Nixon era US-China talks were based basically on "hey, we hate Russians too". I've laughed my rear end off when I've heard there's a project of long term leasing huge swaths of land in easternmost parts of Russia to China.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

waitwhatno posted:

:cmon:

The nazis hijacked the most developed bureaucracy, economy and military on the planet. They leeched off it, then crashed and burned like a thousand burning stars when their incompetence caught up with them. If they had done something worthwhile, people would be impressed with them too(just think about Napoleon and how he is viewed today). The hilarious truth is, that the Nazis didn't amount to poo poo. The only worthwhile thing that they managed to pull off was an anti-smoking movement and some improvement in social benefits to the working class.

Soviets started with 250 million malnourished potato serfs after the war, squatting in their burned-out potato fields and destroyed cities. Ten years later and they are cruising around in space. That's some pretty impressive poo poo.

e: poo poo, i thought this was the novorussia thread. ignore the post.

Totalitarian governments can get poo poo done on massive scale once people are decently motivated and people on top are at least marginally competent. War has weeded out total fuckups in managerial positions and for a couple of years people were still high on victory. USSR wasn't a nation of potato serfs during 1930s, by that date they've started to get their poo poo together after WW1 and massive clusterfuck of civil war and dissolution of Romanov empire. After WW2 Soviets also robbed occupied territories of anything that could be moved, and a lot of lands under their control wasn't bombed to poo poo like western parts.

It's not novorussia thread stuff because it's seriously impressive, with one distinction: from the very beginning of bolshevik state the safety of workers was low on priority list, if you could squeeze more coal from mine, steel from foundry or build an industrial complex faster by killing or maiming 100 workers you did that. "Animal farm" was spot on in that regards.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What are the implications of this?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Cingulate posted:

What are the implications of this?

It means they better dump some more reserves into their markets or things will be heading south very quickly.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

It means they better dump some more reserves into their markets or things will be heading south very quickly.
I don't understand - wasn't it supposedly bad for Russia when it had major inflation recently?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Cingulate posted:

I don't understand - wasn't it supposedly bad for Russia when it had major inflation recently?

Oil prices are taking a major hit on the Russian market. Russia's economy depends on oil exports, and under $44 a barrel was not something they anticipated. The free-fall started last fall when the oil prices first started dropping, and they dumped billions in reserves to stabilize the ruble. It was over 76.00 USD at one point, and people were panicking and buying out stores in Russia over it. Russia's been artificially keeping the ruble afloat, and fighting a war against Ukraine since 2013,

Live feed of Independence Day in Ukraine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KGsJUXByvE

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Oil prices are taking a major hit on the Russian market. Russia's economy depends on oil exports, and under $44 a barrel was not something they anticipated. The free-fall started last fall when the oil prices first started dropping, and they dumped billions in reserves to stabilize the ruble. It was over 76.00 USD at one point, and people were panicking and buying out stores in Russia over it. Russia's been artificially keeping the ruble afloat, and fighting a war against Ukraine since 2013,
Seriously, I don't get economics. They have to dump reservers both when their currency inflates and when it deflates?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Cingulate posted:

Seriously, I don't get economics. They have to dump reservers both when their currency inflates and when it deflates?

The problem in this case is not the inflation, it's the exchange rate. By selling reserves they raise the price of rubble and lower the exchange rate.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

^^^^^
people bought anyting in stores as a safeguard against inflation. RUB lost value faster than a new luxury car did. Electronics are even better, no upkeep cost and take up less place.

Low price of RUB is pretty good when you sell oil and gas - every market trading in them trades in EUR or USD. That keeps Gazprom or Rosneft even more profitable than they've expected.
But then there's anything else - even if Russia throws a hissy fit and stops buying food from Europe altogether they'll have to buy with USD. Their big industry is far from self-sufficient - probably every big machine will have to be bought with foreign currency. Then there's a matter of financing - no international bank would issue a loan to Russian company in RUB, unless interest was really high - and it was before sanctions and oil price drop. In normal economy once your currency tanks it gets really profitable to invest in your country - labour and anything locally sourced is cheap. In case of Russia international corporations won't invest there because of sanctions, scrutiny brought by getting anywhere close to Russian government and massive insecurity of Russian state itself. Simply put if you're company X from country Y Russia will create law to gently caress you over because head of your state said something against Russia. It's petty and terrible in the long run, but Putin, being secret service sperg, doesn't get economics on global scale.

Sergiu64
May 21, 2014

Lol: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34037743

Not much there but apparently Poroshenko likened current situation in Donbass to the likes of the badlands of Mordor.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Sergiu64 posted:

Lol: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34037743

Not much there but apparently Poroshenko likened current situation in Donbass to the likes of the badlands of Mordor.

He meant that Novoryssia is just as fictional as Mordor

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I remember during the big ruble panic, you could just keep refreshing the Google search for "Ruble to dollar conversion" and watch the number change every time.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

I remember during the big ruble panic, you could just keep refreshing the Google search for "Ruble to dollar conversion" and watch the number change every time.

it was glorious and kept me warm during our cold british winters

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Hopefully all the currency exchange places kept their new three-digit signs so they'll be ready when the ruble takes a dump again.

Sergiu64
May 21, 2014

sparatuvs posted:

He meant that Novoryssia is just as fictional as Mordor

Bah... He's making the same mistake as Denethor II.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

This post confused the heck out of me. After crashing, the RUB to USD exchange is 70:1, meaning one ruble is equivalent to $.014 dollars.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Yeah, it's 1 dollar = 70 roubles, not the other way around.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

chitoryu12 posted:

Still great http://zenrus.ru

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
The problem with oil prices and Ruble vs. USD is basically that Russia imports a lot of stuff from other countries, and in order to buy foreign things, they need foreign currency such as USD or EUR.

Now because Russia itself doesn't produce anything that anyone in other countries would want to buy, except oil (and some natural gas), Russian rubles are only valuable in so far as they can be easily converted into oil. Hence, when oil gets cheaper, the ruble gets cheaper.

This doesn't happen to such an extent with developed-economy currencies, because those economies are more diverse and produce a lot more world-class high-quality things than just oil and gas. For example, if you have 100 million euros, you can buy pretty much any kind of goods or services from the euro area, or you can readily convert the money to USD and buy American stuff, or indeed anything produced anywhere. Whereas if you have the equivalent amount in Russian rubles, you can buy... oil. Or gas. From Russia.

Hence, when the only valuable thing Russia has to sell, i.e. oil, becomes cheaper, Russia directly becomes poorer in the sense that they cannot afford as much western goods.

Here's an old picture which remains hilarious and I think still true today:

(edit: rehosted image)

Horns of Hattin
Dec 21, 2011

Stepan Demura was right again :eyepop:

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

eigenstate posted:

Stepan Demura was right again :eyepop:

I don't know who that is, but I like this picture very much. He's so happy to be the prince of darkness.

Horns of Hattin
Dec 21, 2011

A Pale Horse posted:

I don't know who that is, but I like this picture very much. He's so happy to be the prince of darkness.

He's a rather charismatic financial analyst that appears on many smaller non-government-owned TV stations. In a country where Adam Smith's ideas are considered to be highly contentious, while Putin is treated as infallible, he goes out there and tells it like it is.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Meanwhile in Russia

quote:

MOSCOW (Sputnik) — Roscomnadzor said on Monday it had ordered providers to block a Russian Wikipedia web page containing information on illegal drugs.

On Thursday, a Russian court in the southwest Astrakhan Region urged Roskomnadzor to blacklist Wikipedia, should it refuse to delete an article describing methods of preparing narcotics.

"Roscomnadzor has ordered providers to block a page on the Russian Wikipedia website, which contains information on narcotics," the Federal Service for Supervision in the Sphere of Telecom, Information Technologies and Mass Communications said in a statement.

Vladimir Medeyko, the director of Wikimedia.ru, a voluntary group controlling Wikipedia's operations in Russia, said Wikipedia would appeal against the decision of Roscomnadzor. According to him, the whole resource's operation will be affected by the watchdog's order.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

What is more funny is that it already has been unblocked. In basically was blocked for this night, Moscow time.

I guess someone woke up and got pissed off enough about it to get it fixed. :ironicat:

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks Google News :argh:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Roskomnadzor thing works in a very bizarre bureaucratic way. Should enough people report a webpage that at a first glance contains something illegal, they have to block it right away and ask to remove illegal content. In fact the may be doing this automatically by the looks of it. Only after that they can start actually analysing said content. In most cases they only block the suspicious page, too. So if a drug dealing site had two pages for heroine and LSD, they would probably be satisfied with removing just one or even moving it to another address.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

This one was unblocked after supposed editing, though there's no actual editing since the start of the fuss involved, as it turns out, other than bunch of editors arguing about exact contents of section about Roskomnadzor blocking the page.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Paladinus posted:

Roskomnadzor thing works in a very bizarre bureaucratic way. Should enough people report a webpage that at a first glance contains something illegal, they have to block it right away and ask to remove illegal content. In fact the may be doing this automatically by the looks of it. Only after that they can start actually analysing said content. In most cases they only block the suspicious page, too. So if a drug dealing site had two pages for heroine and LSD, they would probably be satisfied with removing just one or even moving it to another address.

In this case, it was blocked by the decision of a rural court in Astrahan Region.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Ukrainian film director and maidan activist Oleg Sentsov has been sentenced to 20 years in a Russian high security penal colony for supposedly plotting terrorist acts. Amnesty International has categorized his detainment, trial and now imprisonment as a "show trial".

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

A Pale Horse posted:

Ukrainian film director and maidan activist Oleg Sentsov has been sentenced to 20 years in a Russian high security penal colony for supposedly plotting terrorist acts. Amnesty International has categorized his detainment, trial and now imprisonment as a "show trial".

Man, something about free speech seems to terrify the Russian government.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Russia steadily becomes a larger version of North Korea.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Gantolandon posted:

Russia steadily becomes a larger version of North Korea.
Pyongyang -> Moscow -> Budapest lie on the same great circle. Coincidence, or the beginning of a Great Circle of Evil?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Pyongyang -> Moscow -> Budapest lie on the same great circle. Coincidence, or the beginning of a Great Circle of Evil?

Circle of Evil makes me think of circle of life.

What about the Perimeter of Peril?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Gravel Gravy posted:

Circle of Evil makes me think of circle of life.

What about the Perimeter of Peril?
That implies everything on one side is evil, when it's really only the circle itself. Maybe Ring of Evil?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That implies everything on one side is evil, when it's really only the circle itself. Maybe Ring of Evil?

If we add Iran and ISIS to the mix it could be the Pentagram of Problems.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Gravel Gravy posted:

If we add Iran and ISIS to the mix it could be the Pentagram of Problems.
Dude, Iran just joined the good guys.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Just wait until Americans elect Trump and he takes the matter in his strong hands.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

kalstrams posted:

Just wait until Americans elect Trump and he takes the matter in his strong hands.
Looking forward to Trump "just happening to find the True Cross" while visiting the Middle East. Putin will see a real master of self-promotion at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Dude, Iran just joined the good guys.

Alright, the Trapezoid of Trouble then.

• Locked thread