Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

fart blood posted:

So America's gonna be just fine, right?! :haw:

Basically. It'll have some effect, but not a heavy one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

CommieGIR posted:

Basically. It'll have some effect, but not a heavy one.

Marketplace is actually pretty decent on this one.

http://www.marketplace.org/popoutplayer/85

We send about 1-2% of our output to China. The Chinese slowdown isn't directly making the majority of our economy lose steam or anything. It's hurting Airplane manufacturers, Heavy equipment makers (Caterpillar), and other mechanical capital producers that have grown plump supplying the booming Chinese economy over the last decades. Now it's time to see if they've saved their pennies and nickles to weather this drop in demand. It's also going to lead to corrections for those companies stock values as we adjust to revised Chinese economic growth (supplied from outside the CCP). Hopefully growth in India and Europe will prop up some of the US companies that are more reliant on development heavy markets.

Additionally, commodities are hurting like a bee-yotch over the last year. Corn, Soybeans, Oil, Metals, etc. are cumulatively down by ~30% from last year. The Midwestern farmers and oil barons who enjoyed steady economic growth during the financial crisis are going to feel this much more than a 'typical american worker' (whatever that actually means). If I knew the code for the farmer smilie, I'd put it in here with a 'money pit' smilie next to it.

Tech stocks are also hammered by the decline. Most people agree that the animal spirits that have been guiding the markets with Tech Co. valuations have probably overstated their profit potentials -- Getting into China/India and other mass market developing companies was expected to be the future bread and butter for these companies to grow in the long run. WIth this much uncertainty about the economic future of China these tech companies aren't viewed as having as robust of a market to get into.

TL:DR - USA USA USA USA :911: Mei Banfa.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Fishvilla posted:

Marketplace is actually pretty decent on this one.

http://www.marketplace.org/popoutplayer/85

We send about 1-2% of our output to China. The Chinese slowdown isn't directly making the majority of our economy lose steam or anything. It's hurting Airplane manufacturers, Heavy equipment makers (Caterpillar), and other mechanical capital producers that have grown plump supplying the booming Chinese economy over the last decades. Now it's time to see if they've saved their pennies and nickles to weather this drop in demand. It's also going to lead to corrections for those companies stock values as we adjust to revised Chinese economic growth (supplied from outside the CCP). Hopefully growth in India and Europe will prop up some of the US companies that are more reliant on development heavy markets.

Additionally, commodities are hurting like a bee-yotch over the last year. Corn, Soybeans, Oil, Metals, etc. are cumulatively down by ~30% from last year. The Midwestern farmers and oil barons who enjoyed steady economic growth during the financial crisis are going to feel this much more than a 'typical american worker' (whatever that actually means). If I knew the code for the farmer smilie, I'd put it in here with a 'money pit' smilie next to it.

Tech stocks are also hammered by the decline. Most people agree that the animal spirits that have been guiding the markets with Tech Co. valuations have probably overstated their profit potentials -- Getting into China/India and other mass market developing companies was expected to be the future bread and butter for these companies to grow in the long run. WIth this much uncertainty about the economic future of China these tech companies aren't viewed as having as robust of a market to get into.

TL:DR - USA USA USA USA :911: Mei Banfa.

We'll be fine, but who are we going to sell the durable goods to during a Chinese civil war?

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

A Bad King posted:

We'll be fine, but who are we going to sell the durable goods to during a Chinese civil war?

We're Americans --- We'll be selling them to both sides.

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

Fishvilla posted:

We're Americans --- We'll be selling them to both sides.

My country, 'tis of thee,
Sweet land of liberty,
Of thee I sing;
Land where my fathers died,
Land of the pilgrims' pride,
From ev'ry mountainside
Let freedom ring!

Our fathers' God to Thee,
Author of liberty,
To Thee we sing.
Long may our land be bright,
With freedom's holy light,
Protect us by Thy might,
Great God our King

IKillForPie
Jan 13, 2006

Is that a pie in your pocket?
Does anyone know if they've lifted the ban on some of the stocks they suspended from trading last month? - I was under the impression that a portion of the market is suspended from trade, do these companies just come back to a ravaged and limp market?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Junkyard Poodle posted:

Sweet land of liberty,
Of thee I sing;
From ev'ry mountainside
Let freedom ring!

Our fathers' God to Thee,
Author of liberty,
To Thee we sing.
With freedom's holy light,
Protect us by Thy might,
Great God our King
I swear I left my Atheist's Battle Hymn of the Republic somewhere...

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

A Bad King posted:

I know it's not actually going to happen, but for real a broken up China divided along racial and cultural lines would be a net good for the Chinese and the world.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

Mange Mite posted:

I know it's not actually going to happen, but for real a broken up China divided along racial and cultural lines would be a net good for the Chinese and the world.

Uhhh what the hell... I mean the Tibetans and Uighurs should get independence if they want to but total Balkanization would be a disaster.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Ethnic Cleansing with Chinese Characteristics would be incredibly, incredibly bad. Like, it would redefine global politics and economics.

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp
Bought some apple stock this morning :getin:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Morrow posted:

Ethnic Cleansing with Chinese Characteristics would be incredibly, incredibly bad. Like, it would redefine global politics and economics.

That's bad?

LazyArtistry
Oct 11, 2002

Creating disasters and running away from them since 1981.

Mange Mite posted:

That's bad?

They have NUKES.

It's bad.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Morrow posted:

Now how likely would that be?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
A lot more likely than a Grouchio incited Tom Clancy-esque derail not being horrible.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
So the Dow completely lost its rally today. If the Shanghai Composite has another -7 % or so tomorrow are we likely to see a continued rally of European markets? Or has the interest rate change likely already lost its correcting power?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Ethnic Cleansing With Chinese Characteristics is a great name for a band or bar-trivia team.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Mange Mite posted:

Sure, if every other country in the world followed suit. The US and Europe can volunteer to go first.

No? Well I didn't think so.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mange Mite posted:

So 85% China as it stands now, and then Tibet as well?

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

MothraAttack posted:

So the Dow completely lost its rally today. If the Shanghai Composite has another -7 % or so tomorrow are we likely to see a continued rally of European markets? Or has the interest rate change likely already lost its correcting power?

The Chinese market is guaranteed to see 2000 in the near future, but now that the rest of the world knows this it's not likely to impact the bulk of non-Asian stocks for a while. Exceptions: Australia (completely hosed) and businesses with heavy exposure to China / some tech stocks.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Maybe our Aussie cousins shouldn't have tied their cart to the insane dystopian nightmare horse that is China??

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Welp, DJIA took a little profit taking.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

It is all our fault.

quote:

(Reuters) - A researcher at China's central bank said expectations that the U.S. Federal Reserve would raise interest rates next month was to blame for the recent global market volatility, the official Xinhua news agency reported on Tuesday.

Yao Yudong, head of the financial research institution of the People's Bank of China, was quoted as saying the expected September U.S. rate hike had been the "trigger" for the market swings.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
China is the Fox News of nation-states, christ.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

this is amazing, holy poo poo. I wonder how at-gunpoint Yao Yudong was when providing this nugget.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

How are u posted:

Maybe our Aussie cousins shouldn't have tied their cart to the insane dystopian nightmare horse that is China??

No, I think you try to make money while you can. If anything is blame them for not preparing adequately for disconnecting their cart when the time came.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

IKillForPie posted:

Does anyone know if they've lifted the ban on some of the stocks they suspended from trading last month? - I was under the impression that a portion of the market is suspended from trade, do these companies just come back to a ravaged and limp market?

Those stocks were supposed to be suspended for a long time, like 6 months or more, so the market chugging along down the road to hell even without them.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

tbf I've heard equally crazy explainations for the 2008 crisis from western governments, so it's not like China is the only one who does this

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

computer parts posted:

So 85% China as it stands now, and then Tibet as well?

Once you tack on East Turkestan and whatever parts of Southern Mongolia that still have Mongols living in it, you end up with a pretty huge chunk of the country... Especially keeping in mind that the TAR ≠ Tibet.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

Once you tack on East Turkestan and whatever parts of Southern Mongolia that still have Mongols living in it, you end up with a pretty huge chunk of the country... Especially keeping in mind that the TAR ≠ Tibet.

Inner Mongolia is 80% Han. It's not at all like Tibet.

It's like saying you should give back the parts of Russia that aren't full of Russians back to the Mongolians.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 25, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Morrow posted:

It's funny because Ethnic Cleansing with Chinese characteristics is what's happening right now as the status quo, just only if you're a Uighyr or a Tibetan or a Yunnan person or a Zhuang

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

Grouchio posted:

I swear I left my Atheist's Battle Hymn of the Republic somewhere...

I got you bro,

Sweet land of liberty,
Of thee I sing;
From ev'ry mountainside
Let freedom ring!

Our fathers' Money to Thee,
Author of liberty,
To Thee we sing.
With freedom's spending might,
Protect us from capital flight,
Great Cash our King

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Gum posted:

tbf I've heard equally crazy explainations for the 2008 crisis from western governments, so it's not like China is the only one who does this

no im p sure the inscrutable orientals from rivalstate are just bad and so goddamn crazystupid

Crashrat
Apr 2, 2012

Toplowtech posted:

Hey guys, remember the 80s when Japan was going to take over the world and become an all powerful economic superpower ? No? Well, if you want a good laugh at someone hyping a bubble economy that isn't China, you can buy a used copy of "Japan as Number One" by Ezra F. Vogel for around 0.01$ on Amazon those days...

Vogel's book is from 1979 so that comparison isn't quite as apt as I'd have liked to have seen on this forum.

The best would be George Friedman & Meredith Lebard's The Coming War with Japan written in 1991 about how Japan is going to curb stomp American economic interests. For those that don't recognize that name the guy runs Stratfor, which a fuckton of both governments and major companies give shitloads of money to in order for them to do "intelligence." Given my own work in a field they're supposed to be experts in (Mexico & Central America) the amount of times they're hilariously wrong is so amazing that I honestly think they'd be better off flipping a coin.

But that Japan book? It's so horribly wrong that George Friedman wiped it from his Wikipedia bibliography and if you try to re-add it then it gets removed again.

That's the kind of guy that runs a major "intelligence company" that people pay huge sums of money to in order to be better informed.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Raenir Salazar posted:

Sure, if every other country in the world followed suit. The US and Europe can volunteer to go first.

No? Well I didn't think so.

Europe is already broken up, that continent has never managed to maintain a successful unified administration over +50% of the land for more than half a century, at least not since the Roman Empire.

Not that a dysfunctional multi state entity as the EU is in any way preferable to a single unified state in any way except tickling nationalist sentiments.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

computer parts posted:

Inner Mongolia is 80% Han. It's not at all like Tibet.

It's like saying you should give back the parts of Russia that aren't full of Russians back to the Mongolians.

That's why I said the parts that still contain Mongols- much of that 80% Chinese majority is concentrated in a number of large cities, which obviously wouldn't get retroceded to Mongolia, but there are still a few nomadic areas with Mongol populations. Likewise, it probably wouldn't make sense to put Xining in an independent Tibet, but once you get outside the city things get pretty Tibetan-y again pretty quickly.

Edit: and if the parts of Russia that are filled with ethnic or cultural Mongols wanted to return to Mongolia, I don't see a problem there either.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Zudgemud posted:

Europe is already broken up, that continent has never managed to maintain a successful unified administration over +50% of the land for more than half a century, at least not since the Roman Empire.

Not that a dysfunctional multi state entity as the EU is in any way preferable to a single unified state in any way except tickling nationalist sentiments.

The people in Normandy and Langudoc would disagree. Europe is full of peoples that have been partially culturally assimilated like the Cantonese.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

That's why I said the parts that still contain Mongols- much of that 80% Chinese majority is concentrated in a number of large cities, which obviously wouldn't get retroceded to Mongolia, but there are still a few nomadic areas with Mongol populations. Likewise, it probably wouldn't make sense to put Xining in an independent Tibet, but once you get outside the city things get pretty Tibetan-y again pretty quickly.

Most of the Mongols live in the cities.

quote:

Edit: and if the parts of Russia that are filled with ethnic or cultural Mongols wanted to return to Mongolia, I don't see a problem there either.

They're not, they're even more heavily Russian.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

computer parts posted:

Most of the Mongols live in the cities.

That's nice? I'm talking about areas with majority Mongols, which we both seem to agree is not the cities? It's a number of banners IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Gum posted:

Oh of course, and there were some pretty loud denials that anything was wrong at the beginning of the mortgage implosion. That doesn't make the statement any less hilarious.

• Locked thread