Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

From PPP's NH poll:

So yeah, Sanders has basically solidified his lead there. It would seem difficult for Clinton to recover unless Sanders has some sort of scandal or Clinton starts a lot of attack ads (which could easily backfire imo).

Sanders just needs to replicate this in Iowa and hopefully the momentum of winning the first two states could give him a decent chance in the rest of the primaries.

How would it look if Bernie attack ads started airing, after Bernie has publicly pledged to not air attacks against Hillary and support her, should she be the nominee. I don't think attack ads are the way to go as far as :shillary: is concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Joementum posted:

Trump got a high profile endorsement today!

That guy was on Thom Hartmann and all the comments are calling Hartmann a zionist puppet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnlBp4vT_20

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Joementum posted:

Lessig got 1% in the last PPP poll, which qualifies him for the debate :negative:

I thought he needed an average of 1% across several polls leading up to the debate?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Joementum posted:

Quote of the just now, "I liked The Kelly File much better without Megyn Kelly. Perhaps she could take another eleven day unscheduled vacation!" ~ Take a Wild Guess Who

These got really good. Can't wait to see Trump go off on Ailes.

:eyepop:

This guy is amazing.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Why did Lawrence Lessig upset anyone? He seems extremely uninteresting, who cares if he makes the debate?

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Schnorkles posted:

I'm pretty sure you could find that post almost word for word about Ron Paul in 2007 on these very forums.

My lord you people are dense. If anything, "shady backroom" stuff helped Ron Paul get the delegates he got. Ron Paul was a fringe candidate (he was also a weak candidate). Trump isn't a fringe candidate and he's not a weak candidate.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

greatn posted:

Why did Lawrence Lessig upset anyone? He seems extremely uninteresting, who cares if he makes the debate?

His ideas for reform are extremely stupid and I don't want them to have a platform.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Joementum posted:

His ideas for reform are extremely stupid and I don't want them to have a platform.

My boss is friends/neighbors to the Leggig's. He's a big fan and supported both his PAC and now his presidential run. No matter how many times I or others say that his ideas are dumb and would never work (especially the PAC, where we have clear proof it didn't work), he won't listen. :negative:.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Trump has responded:

Politico posted:

In a statement, Trump said he "totally disagrees" with Ailes and said he does not think Kelly is a "quality journalist":

"I totally disagree with the FOX statement. I do not think Megyn Kelly is a quality journalist. I think her questioning of me, despite all of the polls saying I won the debate, was very unfair. Hopefully in the future I will be proven wrong and she will be able to elevate her standards to a level of professionalism that a network such as FOX deserves. " Trump said.

Trump said that what's more improtant are his high poll numbers.

"More importantly, I am very pleased to see the latest polls from Public Policy Polling showing me at a strong number one with 35% in New Hampshire, the Monmouth University poll showing me, again at number one, with 30% in South Carolina and the latest national poll from Gravis where I am again the clear front runner with 40%. It was also just announced that I won the prestigious corn kernel poll at the Iowa State Fair by a landslide," he added. "I will be in Iowa tonight with my speech being live on CNN and other networks. My sole focus in running for the Presidency is to Make America Great Again!"

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Joementum posted:

http://www.onthemedia.org/story/lawrence-lessig-referendum-candidate/

OTM did an interview with him recently, if anyone is curious.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

So how hard would it be for Trump to win the nomination without Virginia or NC? I could see him going "That's fine, I can respect that, and I'm glad that the American People have been given this opportunity to see the desperate losers that are really holding the gun to their collective temple."

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Lessig is doing an ama on reddit right now and hes being pretty beat up by sanders supporters, which is good.

also he posted this lol:

quote:

Sanders is great, but he is running a campaign to win, not to govern. Like Obama 8 years ago, he is talking about the problem, but not giving us a plan for how it will be fixed. First. Because if he doesn't address it first, then — seriously, this is obvious, right? — none of the things he's talking about will be possible. So why isn't he talking about it first? Because the consultants are telling him: "here's how you win a campaign." They don't care if winning the campaign that way means you can't actually govern. I do care about whether we have a government that can govern. I'm offering a plan that might actually get us that.

Sanders, definitely the candidate who only cares about winning and saying what the consultants and pollsters tell him to say

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Dahbadu posted:

My lord you people are dense. If anything, "shady backroom" stuff helped Ron Paul get the delegates he got. Ron Paul was a fringe candidate (he was also a weak candidate). Trump isn't a fringe candidate and he's not a weak candidate.

Dude, you're gonna have to post some sources sometime.

Brannock posted:

Not only would Trump be the least worst GOP candidate, I think he would also probably be very good for the left in America by way of destroying and completely discrediting the Republican party whether he wins or runs third party.

And you're gonna have to post something you haven't just repeated word for word for weeks now.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Shageletic posted:

Dude, you're gonna have to post some sources sometime.

Just read about how caucuses, delegates, and superdelegates work.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Dahbadu posted:

Could you link me to some good information about Ron Paul and superdelegates?

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone have the picture of Scott walker as a conehead

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010

Dahbadu posted:

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

berniesupporters.txt

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Joementum posted:

Could you link me to some good information about Ron Paul and superdelegates?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 22, 2016

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Pull up Trump, you're going to get banned!

Oh right you're not on the Something Awful internet forums you're just the front-runner for the Republican nomination.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Correct me if I'm wrong Joe, but didn't Ron Paul do good enough to get a decent percentage of the delegates in some states, mostly by having supporters hijacking caucuses. But because delegates were split, superdelegates came into play, and basically took those delegates away from him. Based on current polling Trump will win by so much superdelegates won't matter enough. And my other point is that Trump doesn't need to play games to win.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Joementum posted:

He spoke at my law school while I was there and I was shocked just how idiotic and naive his politics were, for someone I'd thought of as a reasonably respected legal academic.

Like, his big argument then was that if Congress had an 18% approval rating, but wasn't being completely overturned every two years, it must be because of money in politics. Instead of that, you know, each individual Congressperson is likely to be fairly popular in their own district/state and people just hate the aggregate.

Dahbadu posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong Joe, but didn't Ron Paul do good enough to get a decent percentage of the delegates in some states, mostly by having supporters hijacking caucuses. But because delegates were split, superdelegates came into play, and basically took those delegates away from him. Based on current polling Trump will win by so much superdelegates won't matter enough. And my other point is that Trump doesn't need to play games to win.

You're correct that his supporters pulled some chicanery to get him some delegates, but Ron Paul didn't get anywhere near close enough for party actors to have to do anything.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 25, 2015

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Dahbadu posted:

You seem pretty behind on all this. I recommend that you just read about how caucuses, delegates, and superdelegates work.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Dahbadu posted:

"Superdelegates" only exist in the DNC, which lets all Congressional, Gubernatorial, and Presidential Democrats be delegates at the convention. Ron Paul used the way caucuses worked in 2012 to get a few more delegates than he would had they been awarded proportional to the results of the precinct caucuses, but they all got to go to the convention and vote for Ron except the contested Maine delegates, who claimed that Ron Paul won because of a snowstorm or something.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Dahbadu posted:

I'm going to frame this post.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Joementum posted:

"Superdelegates" only exist in the DNC, which lets all Congressional, Gubernatorial, and Presidential Democrats be delegates at the convention. Ron Paul used the way caucuses worked in 2012 to get a few more delegates than he would had they been awarded proportional to the results of the precinct caucuses, but they all got to go to the convention and vote for Ron except the contested Maine delegates, who claimed that Ron Paul won because of a snowstorm or something.

Good to know. So does my point still not stand: Ron Paul got the support he got because he worked the system really well with what little he had?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Dahbadu posted:

Good to know. So does my point still not stand: Ron Paul got the support he got because he worked the system really well with what little he had?

He got a few more delegates than he otherwise might have, but it wasn't a big deal. Ron's big deal making in 2012 happened when he formed a non-aggression pact with the Romney campaign in exchange for Rand getting a prime-time speaking slot at the convention.

Also, it's completely understandable to not know the rules of delegate apportionment off the top of your head.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 22, 2016

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Dahbadu posted:

Jesus.

http://elections.nytimes.com/2012/primaries/delegates

Oh yeah and in 2008

quote:

As of February 5, 2008, Paul had won sixteen delegates to the Republican National Convention, placing him last amongst the four Republican candidates still in the race at that time.[10] The campaign projected on February 6 to have secured at least 42 delegates to the national convention

Wikipedia

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Paul won the majority of delegates in Iowa, Minnesota, and Nevada, but in the end, Paul got something like 7-8% of the total delegates. Romney got ~90%. I guess Paul may have "swayed/tilted" things enough to earn himself an extra percentage point, but he in no way turned the party rules on their head.

Huh. I was under the impression he managed to "tilt the rules" to get a good chunk of the delegates he did, not an extra percentage point (although not that many in absolute numbers). In the end I suppose to doesn't really matter.

I don't think anything about Ron Paul is relevant to Trump's run.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

I never said he turned the system on his head, but he did use it in his favor. Something Trump won't even have to do (if things continue the way they are).

Edit:

I was definitely wrong about the rules, and I whole hardheartedly admit that. But my point was is that Ron Paul used the arcanity of the system (which I labeled as "shady backroom stuff") in his favor, which he did. I think it's fair to say that my point still stands.

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 25, 2015

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Shageletic posted:

And you're gonna have to post something you haven't just repeated word for word for weeks now.

When a politician does this, we call them consistent and authentic :v

But seriously, Trump is a genuine positive for progressives. He's making financially center-left stances palatable to conservative americans while forcing racism out of the dogwhistles and shadows. In the very best of scenarios we will end up with a reverse-libertarian bloc that must end its racism or remain unelectable.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Meanwhile, at Rand Paul's rally in Alaska...

turnip kid
May 24, 2010

Jewel Repetition posted:

That guy was on Thom Hartmann and all the comments are calling Hartmann a zionist puppet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnlBp4vT_20

He was on Alex Jones the other day. Every other word that came from his mouth was "Jew."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuXNMkBJbNg

The comments. :(

turnip kid fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 25, 2015

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Alaska owns. I'd really like to move there.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

Cephalocidal posted:

So how hard would it be for Trump to win the nomination without Virginia or NC? I could see him going "That's fine, I can respect that, and I'm glad that the American People have been given this opportunity to see the desperate losers that are really holding the gun to their collective temple."

It depends on how many states follow VA/NC's lead and if any of this has any bite.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

turnip kid posted:

He was on Alex Jones the other day. Every other word that came from his mouth was "Jew."

That's not too surprising; Wizards have always been at-odds with Warlocks, especially ones skilled in golemancy.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

turnip kid posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuXNMkBJbNg

The comments. :(

wow watching this i just realized that Alex Jones needs to run for president

king salmon
Oct 30, 2011

by Cowcaster

Would this even be legal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Joementum posted:

Also, it's completely understandable to not know the rules of delegate apportionment off the top of your head.

you are dead to me

• Locked thread