Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.

SugarAddict posted:

Squid is aqua, chickens air, pigs and cows order and earth, anything undead gives entropy, creepers and taint swarms is fire.

For Vis conservation I reccomend you get manasteel caps. All they require to make is iron and botania mana. You have to research the livingwood core to access them.

Can you use septers to capture nodes? I thought they only work in crafting tables.

They work just fine for pretty much everything a wand can do, except you can't stuff foci on them. Staffs are the opposite, they work for everything a wand can do, except you can't stuff em in a table.
This makes it impossible to get a primal staff with void caps on it by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Humans Among Us posted:

There's two nodes close together in the swamp and there's one at the mountain summit. Should be enough to fill your first wand to get going..

Wait what? Do wands not automatically refill by themselves? I've just started getting into the paranormalist questline and i've not scanned any nodes but my wooden wand is already full. e: oh whoops missed a bunch of posts, the animal thing must be what happened

also i guess i have been spoiled by HQM but the thaumonomicon is the most confusingly-laid-out thing I've seen in a help guide. I have literally no idea what I am doing and it doesn't help to have nodes with weird symbols and cryptic headers split across dozens of different tabs. what even is this

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Zebrin posted:

They work just fine for pretty much everything a wand can do, except you can't stuff foci on them. Staffs are the opposite, they work for everything a wand can do, except you can't stuff em in a table.
This makes it impossible to get a primal staff with void caps on it by the way.

It's impossible in vanilla, but you can do it in modded.

Everyone in Blightfall should be making tainted wand cores instead of Silverwood - they have 150 mana capacity and all sorts of benefits when in tainted biomes, which you are all the dang time in Blightfall. A tainted crafting scepter would have 225 mana capacity.

If you need tainted shards, make a shovel of the purifier and chop up some fibrous taint with it. You should be making a shovel of the purifier anyway.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Edminster posted:

Wait what? Do wands not automatically refill by themselves? I've just started getting into the paranormalist questline and i've not scanned any nodes but my wooden wand is already full. e: oh whoops missed a bunch of posts, the animal thing must be what happened

also i guess i have been spoiled by HQM but the thaumonomicon is the most confusingly-laid-out thing I've seen in a help guide. I have literally no idea what I am doing and it doesn't help to have nodes with weird symbols and cryptic headers split across dozens of different tabs. what even is this

Dont worry about all the tabs friend. It's merely to split up the different themes / mods. You can do any of the things you unlock but i'd probably focus on Thaumaturgy & Alchemy (& Golemancy) to get some useful poo poo.

Basicly the top 5 or so tabs are the default thaumcraft tabs, the others are added by other mods and sorta bleed into it.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

For example, if you complete the research for Essentia Distillation ( in the Alchemy tab ), you'll unlock stuff in the Applied Energistics tab. The thaumcraft Epochrypa tab got me interested in the Blood Magic and Botania mods and that is one of the fun things about the Thaumomonicon to me.

Edminster posted:

Wait what? Do wands not automatically refill by themselves?

Be wary that the lovely starter wand can drain nodes empty, after which they don't regenerate that aspect or just vanish entirely if you took out everything.

You need at least a gold capped greatwood wand or similar (thaumaturgy) and the Node Preserver research ( 1st tab ) in order to safely charge your wand at a node.

heard u like girls fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 25, 2015

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
OK so what is the infusion altar search length below it? My candle love nest is 5 blocks below. At the same level of the altar, I have my crucible with lava under it, an infinity water pool, torches, and some of my chests within searchable area. I think my furnace and alembic are outside of range--including all the extra random essentia jars I filled with one or two units.

I had hooked up more pipes and jars to the alembic once I realized nether war had three aspects to it. I just saw something quick that it had praecantatio and did not double check. Even then, the drat thing would just jam up. It would claim to still have some stuff in it, but nothing was filling. So I'd have to go around the tabs, trying different jars to draw off whatever random crap it had. I totally plan to get that into thaumic energistics ASAP, but I'm really eating it in the early tree here.

Magres posted:

Your order of priorities should be getting a greatwood gold capped wand, then a greatwood gold capped scepter/staff (I usually do scepter but that's personal preference), getting centivis tech (takes no crucible or infusion work if you use greatwood scepter/staff), then getting essentia distillation and the thaumatorium going. After that and only after that, go harvest a couple stacks of zombie flesh off a sinister node (there's one near alpha) and make enough candles to trivialize instability.

But but but I was following your centivis guide when I was trying to make that silverwood wand! :(

If I can just pop some chickens and stuff with my wand in my inventory, then I should be fine to at least make the caps. I just don't want to go node hunting to get the wand charged enough to make the next wand, and then go node hunting some more to get the 75 vis in every aspect I need to bottle a node.

At least yesterday I got a bloodwood sapling and was able to kit out my everyday tools.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

If I can just pop some chickens and stuff with my wand in my inventory, then I should be fine to at least make the caps. I just don't want to go node hunting to get the wand charged enough to make the next wand, and then go node hunting some more to get the 75 vis in every aspect I need to bottle a node.

I'm still a tiny babby when it comes to TC, but you need to have your wand in your hotbar, not just the inventory, and you need to pick up the tiny motes that fall out of dead things you've probably noticed already.

Honestly, I have a hell of a time finding terra anywhere, everything else I can boat around for 5 minutes and fill up, but my terra is almost always empty. Can't wait until I get my cV tech up.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Well you might as well smear out the node hunting so you give the nodes the time to regenerate their Vis. I.e. visit the same nodes a couple of times in between you doing other stuff...

You're going to be doing it a lot I'm afraid :shobon:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

yeah i pretty much beelined for cv tech and ended up only having to do infrequent wand refills because of it

now I just afk next to my arcane crafting bench :gonk:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
With centi-vis can you still plop your wand down in a recharger and let it recharge without you?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Reason posted:

With centi-vis can you still plop your wand down in a recharger and let it recharge without you?

not that i'm aware, I dropped a wand recharge doohickey next to my CV node and it did squat

if you can put it in an arcane crafting bench it will but vis stones and staves don't fit in there :negative:

Syka
Mar 24, 2007
sum n00b or wut?
I want to set up a centivis thing in Blightfall, but after I jarred a node I noticed it was tainted. Is there any way to cleanse the node itself? Or will using it for centivis make it okay? Can I just stick it somewhere out of the way and plant ethereal blooms around it to prevent its influence from spreading? Should I just find a different untainted node?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Syka posted:

I want to set up a centivis thing in Blightfall, but after I jarred a node I noticed it was tainted. Is there any way to cleanse the node itself? Or will using it for centivis make it okay? Can I just stick it somewhere out of the way and plant ethereal blooms around it to prevent its influence from spreading? Should I just find a different untainted node?

The transducer will remove the tainted effect in the process of turning it into an energized node. Just keep some ethereal blooms or pure daisies planted nearby just in case it slips some taint out while it's transducing.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I did it guys, I cleared 20%+ of the Savannah! Level 5 Purity (4 Frugal, 1 Enlarge) on top of a 50 vis wand. Frequent trips were made back to the CV setup while a dawn totem was clearing up the Savannah plateau. One village has been purged entirely except for the liquid flux because gently caress clearing that up right now. There's now an open path from the Redwood City waypoint to Dome Beta.

I need a better wand. :v:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Syka posted:

If you're going to make it a centivis node, it doesn't matter. When the node is ripped open by a transducer it loses its taint aspect. Just have the setup all ready to go, activate the transducer, and be ready to spot-clean the few areas that get tainted with pure daisies, ethereal blooms or a purifying focus.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I didn't know the Aether Mod actually got updated/got a sequel! Maybe this time they will support it for more than a few months

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

You can destroy Liquid Flux by dropping and immediately picking up lava from a bucket. Also works on ceilings!

Sage Grimm posted:

I need a better wand. :v:

Blood Wand :getin:

heard u like girls fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 25, 2015

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

OK so what is the infusion altar search length below it? My candle love nest is 5 blocks below. At the same level of the altar, I have my crucible with lava under it, an infinity water pool, torches, and some of my chests within searchable area. I think my furnace and alembic are outside of range--including all the extra random essentia jars I filled with one or two units.

I had hooked up more pipes and jars to the alembic once I realized nether war had three aspects to it. I just saw something quick that it had praecantatio and did not double check. Even then, the drat thing would just jam up. It would claim to still have some stuff in it, but nothing was filling. So I'd have to go around the tabs, trying different jars to draw off whatever random crap it had. I totally plan to get that into thaumic energistics ASAP, but I'm really eating it in the early tree here.

The range is 5 blocks below the cube, 10 blocks above it. This translates to 3 blocks below the main pedestal, 12 blocks above it. There's only room to put in a headroom-only crawlspace under your altar which you can fill with candles. Or you can just put crystal clusters attached to the ceiling of the room below your infusion altar, which is what I do. It might be a good idea to put your candles slightly elevated near your altar, since infusion problems can spill flux goo, which will displace candles and make things even more unstable. The horizontal distance is 12.

Again, wearing goggles will let you see what type of essentia is in the alembic waiting to be taken out. If you have no goggles and there's some essentia in an alembic and you don't know what it is, you can right-click on it with an empty warded jar to pull it out directly. Make an Essentia Funnel to move essentia from jar to jar quickly and without labels. That's in the Thaumic Tinkerer tab, iirc. It's a bit weird to use, as you have to click on the funnel to remove the top jar, rather than the jar.

Humans Among Us posted:

You can destroy Liquid Flux by dropping and immediately picking up lava from a bucket. Also works on ceilings!

Why would you use lava?! Use water!

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 25, 2015

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

water spreads a lot faster than lava

lava is easy to drop and pick up again before it starts getting everywhere

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

McFrugal posted:

The range is 5 blocks below the cube, 10 blocks above it. This translates to 3 blocks below the main pedestal, 12 blocks above it. There's only room to put in a headroom-only crawlspace under your altar which you can fill with candles. Or you can just put crystal clusters attached to the ceiling of the room below your infusion altar, which is what I do. It might be a good idea to put your candles slightly elevated near your altar, since infusion problems can spill flux goo, which will displace candles and make things even more unstable. The horizontal distance is 12.
I definitely screwed that up then. I have to raise up all those candles. Technically, should I put the candle love nest in a room above the infusion altar then? I just remember the drat thing zapped a chicken too in a coop in the floor above, so maybe I want to do this anyways. I'd just carve out yet another room down and make that be infusion-land.

quote:

Make an Essentia Funnel to move essentia from jar to jar quickly and without labels. That's in the Thaumic Tinkerer tab, iirc. It's a bit weird to use, as you have to click on the funnel to remove the top jar, rather than the jar.
This makes me happy! I did not know this was a thing!

quote:

Don't you need a heat source under the crucible? That's where the lava is. Wait, you thought I put lava in it? .... I wonder if that works. :3:

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 25, 2015

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

McFrugal posted:

The range is 5 blocks below the cube, 10 blocks above it.

This wiki says the opposite: 10 blocks below and 5 blocks above. It would make sense since the cube is raised up, which allows you to have a candle room either above or below the altar.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I definitely screwed that up then. I have to raise up all those candles.

You might just need more candles. Someone posted earlier something about like 250 or so candles to have no instability.

VegasGoat fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 25, 2015

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
it's really too bad thaumic tinkerer got removed from some of my preferred modpacks due to it having the grey goo essentia fires, the funnel and the repair machine are very good

(do not use the essential fires)

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

VegasShirtGuy posted:

This wiki says the opposite: 10 blocks below and 5 blocks above. It would make sense since the cube is raised up, which allows you to have a candle room either above or below the altar.

Well... it used to be 10 above, 5 below. Someone looked at the code to find out. It would make sense to be the other way around since then it's not as lopsided. I wonder if it was changed? I might have to test it.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Acne Rain posted:

it's really too bad thaumic tinkerer got removed from some of my preferred modpacks due to it having the grey goo essentia fires, the funnel and the repair machine are very good

(do not use the essential fires)

Use the essentia fires if you want an even worse Blightfall. :unsmigghh:

VegasShirtGuy posted:

You might just need more candles. Someone posted earlier something about like 250 or so candles to have no instability.

Correct, as each balanced stabilizer prevents 0.1 instability. Infusion can start with 0 instability up to 10 and then steadily increases up to a maximum of 25 while it is running.
Beware though; if a stabilizer is not balanced across both axes, it adds more instability.

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 25, 2015

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

McFrugal posted:

Well... it used to be 10 above, 5 below. Someone looked at the code to find out. It would make sense to be the other way around since then it's not as lopsided. I wonder if it was changed? I might have to test it.

I was curious and went and checked the code. Here's the relevant section of code I got from the decompiler with 4.2.3.5. While the loop is from -5 to 10, it's actually subtracting, so the checked y coordinates are from +5 to -10. Maybe it was a bug and he fixed it later by changing to subtraction, or whoever looked at the code before didn't notice it was subtracting.

code:
          for (int yy = -5; yy <= 10; yy++) {
            if ((xx != 0) || (zz != 0))
            {
              int x = this.field_145851_c + xx;
              int y = this.field_145848_d - yy;
              int z = this.field_145849_e + zz;

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Sage Grimm posted:

Correct, as each balanced stabilizer prevents 0.1 instability. Infusion can start with 0 instability up to 10 and then steadily increases up to a maximum of 25 while it is running.
Beware though; if a stabilizer is not balanced across both axes, it adds more instability.

I thought each pair of candles adds 1 stability while something not paired or was junk adds 1 instability with a max of 250. At the start of an infusion it does a roll to decide how much stability or instabiity to add and adds that to the infusion instability and the stability of the alter.

As in stability and instability are separate numbers, while instability > stability it will roll on what happens with the frequency and the level of "bad things" depending on the difference between instability and stability.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

From the wiki

quote:

Instability is the main hazard to infusion. Most often it merely disrupts the process, but it can also damage the player, and extreme cases can even produce explosions.

Each recipe has a "starting" instability, which has an internal numeric value but is shown as a category: "Negligible" corresponds to an instability value of 0 or 1, "Minor" to 2 or 3, "Moderate" to 4 or 5, "High" to 6 or 7, "Very High" to 8 or 9, "Dangerous" to 10 or more. To this is added a penalty for any failures of symmetry, then a bonus is subtracted for any properly-placed stabilizer items. An unmatched item adds 1 to the instability (and some recipes require an unmatched item), an unmatched pedestal adds 2, and these do combine. It takes 10 properly-matched stabilizer items to counter 1 point of instability. Stabilizers can reduce the starting instability below zero, which can help counter later increases.

Instability grows randomly over the course of an infusion. The chance of increase depends only on the recipe instability, so stabilizers will not slow or prevent this increase, only reduce the total. (On the other hand, neither does the growth "feed on itself".) However, the chance to increase is checked each time a point of essentia, level, or item is consumed, so recipes which cost a lot have more opportunity to increase. The chance is 1 in (50 - recipeInstability×2), each increase is 1 point. Note that doing Infusion Enchantment or Runic Enhancement on an item which is already enchanted or enhanced increases the cost, and thus the overall increase. Also, any problems which delay the infusion (items are missing when they're needed, running out of essentia, or discovering belatedly that an item is "imperfect") will make things worse the longer they remain unfixed. Instability never goes down -- if things are getting really out of hand, abort the infusion (by removing the central item) and start over. (With more candles!)

For each game tick of the ritual, there is an (instability/500) chance of something bad happening: Flux lightning, knocking an item off its pedestal, producing flux, melting an item into flux, tainting the player, or in extreme cases, an explosion. The total instability is capped at 25, which would average 1 incident per second.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Use mana pylons so you don't have to have a gigantic ugly field of candles

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Humans Among Us posted:

You can also clear it by placing any block and removing it. Just drop sand on all the liquid flux and shovel it up.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I highly recommend putting a tainthistle or 5 in your infusion room. It's really nice and quick for cleaning up messes before things get out of hand

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
If you have your CV setup nearby and don't want to go through the giant botania advancement and infusion needed to get tainthistles, you can use a Thaumcraft scrubber instead, or...

Ambaire posted:

You can also clear it by placing any block and removing it. Just drop sand on all the liquid flux and shovel it up.

Use a shovel of the purifier! A right-click deletes all flux nonsense in a 5x5 block cube!

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

OK so what is the infusion altar search length below it? My candle love nest is 5 blocks below.

But but but I was following your centivis guide when I was trying to make that silverwood wand! :(

The silverwood wand is the hard route compared to the greatwood scepter.I'm just going you edit the guide because silverwood wands aren't worth the trouble in blightfall, considering tainted wand cores are waaay better. Go for the greatwood scepter or staff, both work and are way easier. In a modpack without forbidden magic, silverwood wands are worth making, but definitely not in blightfall.

E: updated the centivis guide. Sorry for the bad advice regarding silverwood wands, I've always done them before but they're just not worth it in blightfall

Magres fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 25, 2015

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

What is the order of mining levels in Blightfall? For some reason the items that have them display a name but no number. I feel like it would add much more clutter to change it from Soft Non-Metal to Soft Non-Metal (1).

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ariong posted:

What is the order of mining levels in Blightfall? For some reason the items that have them display a name but no number. I feel like it would add much more clutter to change it from Soft Non-Metal to Soft Non-Metal (1).

Hard Non-Metal -> Soft Metal -> Hard Metal -> Excavation Focus

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
So uh... I got warped enough to research the Eldritch Eye-related stuff. Is there even an Obelisk that has keystones? All the ones I've found are just obelisks with nothing near them to put the eyes on.

Ariong posted:

It goes from soft non-metal -> hard non-metal -> soft metal -> hard metal -> diamond -> supra-diamond -> alien -> extreme -> epic -> manyullyn+? (Tartarite has that)

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
How are you supposed to get nether shards? I tried eating a bunch in the mini hell biome and I'm getting no gluttony shards. I'm assuming there's a way of duplicating them considering all the single shards laying around

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

McFrugal posted:

So uh... I got warped enough to research the Eldritch Eye-related stuff. Is there even an Obelisk that has keystones? All the ones I've found are just obelisks with nothing near them to put the eyes on.

It goes from soft non-metal -> hard non-metal -> soft metal -> hard metal -> diamond -> supra-diamond -> alien -> extreme -> epic -> manyullyn+? (Tartarite has that)

Cheers.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

Magres posted:

E: updated the centivis guide. Sorry for the bad advice regarding silverwood wands, I've always done them before but they're just not worth it in blightfall
Where is this guide? I haven't really fooled with Thaumcraft since before centivis.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Blightfall / Tinker's Construct / Iguana Tweaks? question: how do I go about defining the mining level of a new mod-added pick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Blind Duke posted:

How are you supposed to get nether shards? I tried eating a bunch in the mini hell biome and I'm getting no gluttony shards. I'm assuming there's a way of duplicating them considering all the single shards laying around

There are recipes to craft them.