Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I used to order from MM regularly (well, maybe one or two large orders a year) but my last 3 or 4 games I've just ordered through Amazon since we have prime. I guess I'm part of the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I used to order from MM regularly (well, maybe one or two large orders a year) but my last 3 or 4 games I've just ordered through Amazon since we have prime. I guess I'm part of the problem.

how dare you

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

The Mantis posted:

how dare you

burn him

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
the morality arguments bubbling out of the BGG thread right now are thrilling

:eng101: "I know! Internet magic will save us!"

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Lichtenstein posted:

No, it's horrible. The tutorial booklets leave out some rules that can be important in the full game and make no effort to indicate there's something missing. So you have to read through the whole alphabet-ordered list, filled with crap you do not need at the moment, organized in a way that eschews any logical links just in case there's something that was omitted/special ruled for the tutorial.

It's also bad because it triggers Pax Porfirana PTSD.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Eh, there's some gremlins in the FS Learn to Play, but considering how bad FF's rulebooks used to be... well, this is miles better.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I heard that if you place the rulebooks to Pax Porfiriana, Through the Ages and Forbidden Stars and chant 'Eklund, Vlaada, FFG' three times, the demon of bad rulebooks pops up and makes you forget how to actually play games.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Tekopo posted:

I heard that if you place the rulebooks to Pax Porfiriana, Through the Ages and Forbidden Stars and chant 'Eklund, Vlaada, FFG' three times, the demon of bad rulebooks pops up and makes you forget how to actually play games.

Is it a demonized version of the Robinson Crusoe rulebook?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Tekopo posted:

Actually he just kinda hangs around and keeps arguing over the finer points of Arkham Horror.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
The problem I had with the Forbidden Stars books is at least one person is going to have to read both books, cover to cover, in oder to play the game... which somewhat defeats the point of a "learn to play" book. I do think it is a step in the right direction, however.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Tekopo posted:

I hate these unbalanced haunts.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Looks like Plaid Hat is making an X-Wing like game called Tail Feathers. With the risk of sounding like a cynical old man, I'm going to say that it's going to be insanely over-hyped then end up being aggressively mediocre. Like all Plaid Hat games.

Edit:
vvvv Oh yeah, it's in the Mice & Mystics world, so it's all mice flying around on birds. That part is at least pretty cool.vvvvv

Electric Hobo fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Aug 25, 2015

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Wait a minute... is the theme of Tail Feathers basically Mice & Mystics + JOUST? :stare:

The one thing Plaid Hat is good at is coming up with appealing concepts, at least

Dre2Dee2 fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 25, 2015

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Lichtenstein posted:

No, it's horrible. The tutorial booklets leave out some rules that can be important in the full game and make no effort to indicate there's something missing. So you have to read through the whole alphabet-ordered list, filled with crap you do not need at the moment, organized in a way that eschews any logical links just in case there's something that was omitted/special ruled for the tutorial.

FYI a good host does this beforehand anyway.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Electric Hobo posted:

Oh yeah, it's in the Mice & Mystics world, so it's all mice flying around on birds. That part is at least pretty cool.

Finally I'll be able to get my wife interested in miniature gaming! Muhahahahaha!

Edit: I should point out that I really like the theme too, but she loves lil' critters something fierce.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Aug 25, 2015

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

All rulebooks should use Squad Leader-style learn to play. :colbert:

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I like when rulebooks have actual useful examples of people playing through a complex turn and not just full page color picture examples of stupidly easy rules ('Joe rolled three dice to see if he hit' *shows picture of three dice* 'the dice are 2, 2, and 5' *picture of dice with 2 2 and 5* 'Joe needs a 4 or higher to hit, so Joe scores one hit' *same as last picture with the 5 die circled*)

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff

StashAugustine posted:

All rulebooks should use Squad Leader-style learn to play. :colbert:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

A COIN-style playbook that's twice as long as the rulebook with a twelve-page example of play, strategy advice on all the factions, rules clarifications, and twenty pages of historical information is also appreciated.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Toshimo posted:

Got a source for this? That's some combination of horrifying and hilarious.

It (the deterministic shuffling in the Dominion client) is horrifying and hilarious (or was, they may have fixed it by now). A few people actually bothered to figure out the exact order that your discard goes into your deck, but it was clear something was off if you just played enough times. You didn't need to take notes to notice that if you started 5/2, you'd always get the same stuff on your first draw. And this wasn't the only bizarre problem with that client.

quote:

I wouldn't say bonkers easy; if you try to write your own shuffle algorithm without reading up on some theory you'll probably create a biased shuffle, but you certainly shouldn't end up with something predictable.

Pick a random card out of the deck and put it in a pile, repeat until the pile's gone. Perfect shuffle. Swap two random cards, repeat 10 thousand times. Done, and it's fine. All the naive approaches I can think of actually end up with a reasonable shuffle... I have no idea what they would have done to make that behavior on Star Realms (maybe they actually wanted it that way?).

I guess maybe they tried to write their own random number function too?

jmzero fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 25, 2015

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

Mojo Jojo posted:

Is there a list?

We just read the learn to play and then used the rules reference as questions came up. We didn't spot any omissions.

There are a few important omissions if memory serves, like how many units you can produce from a single factory in one activation ( = skulls on factory worlds in that system), the limit on the number of attacking units (5?), and the asset token limit (3 of each type; holy gently caress this is an important limit).

Caedar fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 25, 2015

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

jmzero posted:

Randomizing some cards is bonkers easy on a computer (and if for some reason you want reproducability or something then seeded randoms are easy too).

Card shuffling is simple but people still get it wrong :shobon:

My favorite boiled down to stepping through the deck (52 cards one at a time from "top" to "bottom") and for each card swap it with another random card in the deck.

The problem was that the way they did it each card was only getting swapped with the REMAINING cards in the "stack"... not the whole deck.

So card 1 was swapped with card 2-52 (random).

Card 2 was swapped with card 3-52. And so on.

So the closer cards were to the "bottom" the more likely (and eventually almost certain) they were to stay there.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
PS this was a gambling site btw in the early 2000s :haw:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Mister Sinewave posted:

My favorite boiled down to stepping through the deck (52 cards one at a time from "top" to "bottom") and for each card swap it with another random card in the deck.

The problem was that the way they did it each card was only getting swapped with the REMAINING cards in the "stack"... not the whole deck.

So the closer cards were to the "bottom" the more likely (and eventually almost certain) they were to stay there.

Mister Sinewave posted:

PS this was a gambling site btw in the early 2000s :haw:

lmao. I'm really glad I don't have to be in charge of generating random numbers for something that costs money. As it turns out, it's really hard to get a truly random number out of anything. Ultimately it comes down to picking a sufficiently fluid algorithm seed. Dice and cards are pretty adequate for this, dice especially, because their "seed" is the act of physically jostling them around in a way that (most people) cannot predict or control.

It's a little harder in a computer- I'm not even sure what the current standard is. IIRC it's usually based on either the current system time or the CPU state. That's all assuming the programmers aren't just fuckups. I wish I could name the title, but I remember in college they told us, as a cautionary tale, about an arcade game whose enemy distribution was originally meant to be random, but in practice, the game always used the same random seed, which was just hard-coded in. If you aren't paying super close attention to the game's behavior, you'll have no idea that it's a bug if you're a tester, since all the functions expect to get a number fed into them, which they do, and thus appear to be working as intended.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Mister Sinewave posted:

This is really close to the standard accepted in-place shuffle algorithm, but getting a tiny detail wrong screws the whole thing up. It's not as easy as you'd think.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Caedar posted:

There are a few important omissions if memory serves, like how many units you can produce from a single factory in one activation ( = skulls on factory worlds in that system), the limit on the number of attacking units (5?), and the asset token limit (3 of each type; holy gently caress this is an important limit).
The factory deploy limit and limit on attacking units are both in there.

You're right about the assets though. That is a glaring omission. I'm not sure how we knew that limit when we played actually

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

So what happened to all the bugged MM orders?

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

So the original top card absolutely can't be the top card in the shuffled deck. Great. Anyway, that rings true as something someone would do, so I guess I've once again underestimated human stupidity.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Cocks Cable posted:

I got an email saying "whoops, that happened, we're canceling the orders and refunding everyone. Sorry!"

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Cocks Cable posted:

Word is they just refunded everything and sent out an e-mail telling people to place orders again if they were still interested in any items they had tried to order (presumably at normal pricing).

edit: beaten while phone posting

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

From BGG:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1424248/bug-miniaturemarketcom-everything-15/page/7

quote:

First, I would like to apologize to anyone who was affected by the pricing glitch on our website this morning. For some reason our website took our daily deal price of $15 and applied it to all items priced over $15. We have since found and corrected the error.

Any orders place between 12:01 AM CST and 7:36 am CST will have their order canceled and their payment refunded.

Second, no one is perfect (and we are far from it). We have been making system changes to improve website speed (in preparation for black Friday) and also redesign our website to be more mobile friendly. While doing that we are having to change around internal system to keep great features like our daily news and daily deal fully functional. This error was a side effect of one of those changes.

Third, the poster who just put up an image of their order (100231475 - Mike) was from back in 2013. I'm not sure why Mike is trying to make the problem worse for us by getting everyone whipped up into a frenzy but I assure you that none of the orders in the time period specified above will be shipped out.

Finally, thank you to the countless people who posted on here supporting us. We wouldn't be where we are today without your support.

Thank You
Steve @ Miniature Market

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Man, Mike sounds like kind of a dick.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I'd love to see them post an itemized list of games refunded. Just to see which games shitburgers hit the hardest.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Kai Tave posted:

Most BGG users are actually pretty loving dickish. They seem like the type of people who are inviting at first, until someone disagrees with them and then they write essays about how they are and always will be in the right. It's a really lovely and toxic community, and I was glad to see people here cancel their orders.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Kai Tave posted:

Seemed like a reasonable response.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

GrandpaPants posted:

Most BGG users are actually pretty loving dickish. They seem like the type of people who are inviting at first, until someone disagrees with them and then they write essays about how they are and always will be in the right. It's a really lovely and toxic community, and I was glad to see people here cancel their orders.

Yeah, reading the last two pages of that thread make that abundantly clear, from the guy apparently posting fake pictures of his order to stir poo poo up to the guy arguing for pages in the smuggest fashion possible that he's perfectly entitled to try and take advantage of an obvious fuckup while unironically using the term "white knighting." I mean, I don't read BGG anyway because their entire site is a hideous throwback abomination, but dang.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

ETB posted:

Seemed like a reasonable response.
Mike is the dick BGG person, Steve is the MM guy

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Entitled baby people on the internet, yep

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Tekopo posted:

Mike is the dick BGG person, Steve is the MM guy

Thanks for the clarification. Mike is definitely a dickbag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Toshimo posted:

I'd love to see them post an itemized list of games refunded. Just to see which games shitburgers hit the hardest.

I'd think that Forbidden Stars and/or Imperial Assault probably topped the list.