Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hey, it keeps the show running strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

I can't believe I didn't notice Tad Strange was voiced by Cecil Baldwin :v:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

m2pt5 posted:

AND WE'RE STILL ON THE SAME loving SEASON. :argh: DISNEY!

Shhh, don't taunt the mouse lest you invoke his wrath and we all pay the price.

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014
Did they wholesale nab futurama's burglarcenarsony joke by accident there.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Kazy posted:

I can't believe I didn't notice Tad Strange was voiced by Cecil Baldwin :v:

Now that I know that, it's impossible to not hear it. How did I miss it the first time round?

Jackapol
Sep 16, 2007
Huh huh buhhh.
"Oh Snap." :geno: Ahh Tad was great.

Soos' few moments were probably my favorite, " My life just flashed before my eyes!" and I really hope they keep the half exploded mayor head as a Gravity Falls thing. Just have it in the background every now and again, that would be a nice touch to honor the man who may or may not have started WWI.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Jackapol posted:

"Oh Snap." :geno: Ahh Tad was great.

Soos' few moments were probably my favorite, " My life just flashed before my eyes!" and I really hope they keep the half exploded mayor head as a Gravity Falls thing. Just have it in the background every now and again, that would be a nice touch to honor the man who may or may not have started WWI.

You know they will. Gravity Falls is amazing about that stuff.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
I know they pulled the show from Amazon Season Pass, but does anyone know when they're going to release the new episode for individual purchase?

ninja alamode
Apr 20, 2004

Looks like the same as before, it's available now on amazon, so I assume they'll continue to have it up the next morning.

I'm disappointed in myself that I didn't expect the mind control at all. They gave that away in the title, but I was just expecting a campaign with regular hijinks. Also, seeing Bill's circle at the end reminded me, I think it had been assumed the glasses represented Stanford, but it's pretty safe to say that the six-fingered hand is Stanford now that we know he's the author. Are there any better theories whom the glasses represent now?

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
Something Awful memes from 2004: Still loving Relevant Baby.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

ManMythLegend posted:

I know they pulled the show from Amazon Season Pass, but does anyone know when they're going to release the new episode for individual purchase?

It's up.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

pandaK posted:

Here's a little something to ponder on in regards to that: Gideon's deal is most likely going to be against Stanford Pines.

At this point, doesn't Gideon still believe that grunkle Stan is Stanford? Bud Gleeful does at least, he refers to him as Stanford several times over the episode. I'm inclined to think Stanford hasn't really been out and about around Gravity Falls yet and all the townspeople continue to assume that grunkle Stan is the one and only Stan Pines and thus Stanford.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The episode was weird when Stan's character is supposed to be a huckster conman. It seems like they bent his character to serve the premise (just compare it to Bottomless PIt).

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

subpar anachronism posted:

At this point, doesn't Gideon still believe that grunkle Stan is Stanford? Bud Gleeful does at least, he refers to him as Stanford several times over the episode. I'm inclined to think Stanford hasn't really been out and about around Gravity Falls yet and all the townspeople continue to assume that grunkle Stan is the one and only Stan Pines and thus Stanford.

Outside the inner circle of Wendy, Zoos and the other Pines, the only other beings that might know that the real Stanford exists are Old Man McGukkit and Bill Cipher.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The episode was weird when Stan's character is supposed to be a huckster conman. It seems like they bent his character to serve the premise (just compare it to Bottomless PIt).

He's a horrible conman who desperately wants to be liked, and loves his family more than anything else.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

pandaK posted:

Here's a little something to ponder on in regards to that: Gideon's deal is most likely going to be against Stanford Pines.

I would think Bill is smart enough to know which Stan Gideon is talking about, but then of course he'd also be smart enough to use that to his advantage. So whatever deal Gideon is going to make, it's going to backfire on him.

Was great to have some Gideon back. His voice is so good

johntfs posted:

Outside the inner circle of Wendy, Zoos and the other Pines, the only other beings that might know that the real Stanford exists are Old Man McGukkit and Bill Cipher.

I like that Wendy knows (I mean Soos called her and told her all about it) and just doesn't give a poo poo

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Macaluso posted:

I would think Bill is smart enough to know which Stan Gideon is talking about, but then of course he'd also be smart enough to use that to his advantage. So whatever deal Gideon is going to make, it's going to backfire on him.

Was great to have some Gideon back. His voice is so good

I like that Wendy knows (I mean Soos called her and told her all about it) and just doesn't give a poo poo

The deal will be specifically worded to do something to Stanford Pines, Bill is going to monkey's paw the poo poo out of that. Stanford is all but confirmed not a permanent character.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

pandaK posted:

The deal will be specifically worded to do something to Stanford Pines, Bill is going to monkey's paw the poo poo out of that. Stanford is all but confirmed not a permanent character.

Bill will use the rift that Ford talked about to come into this dimension. Should be a good time had by all.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Yes this bothered me the whole episode too, his life skill is manipulation.
just seemed lazy to make that be his flaw, the "amerifreedom" speech was actually more in character for stan than dipper.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Suspicious Dish posted:

He's a horrible conman who desperately wants to be liked, and loves his family more than anything else.

I also get the feeling that the realization of Ford's returning finally hit him. After the summer is over, he will have to leave Gravity Falls. He will be without a home, a job, or a family (since he faked his death), forced to start over as an old man. It's a last hurrah of acceptance before the end.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
HOLD ON TO THAT BRANCH OR DIE, CAT!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

PassTheRemote posted:

I also get the feeling that the realization of Ford's returning finally hit him. After the summer is over, he will have to leave Gravity Falls. He will be without a home, a job, or a family (since he faked his death), forced to start over as an old man. It's a last hurrah of acceptance before the end.

He obviously has a good enough relationship with his little brother to maybe get some help from him. It's not like his father disowning him matters once the old man's dead.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Whoever asked for more Gideon is certainly getting what they wished for, considering the after-episode preview.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I thought this was a fantastic episode, but I thought the Simpsons-style "and now, back to the status quo!" ending was a bit unnecessary maybe. It would have been cool to see Stan as mayor, and I felt until then like the episode could have actually bucked the cliche and gone through with it.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
Reality is stranger than fiction.

quote:

Never has reality made satire obsolete quite so spectacularly as what we see in “The Stanchurian Candidate.” This is a fine episode, but the funniest joke may be the one at the episode’s (and, um, the nation’s) expense, in that the central premise is that a brash, huckstering loudmouth launches a self-aggrandizing political campaign in which he says whatever crude, terrible things pop into his head … and that goes over so much worse with the lunatics of Gravity Falls than it does when Donald Trump pulls that exact same crap in real life. I mean, say what you will about Stan’s plan to stimulate the economy by invading nearby towns, but it’s no more incoherent or absurd than whatever the hell it is Trump says he’s going to do to Mexico.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
this is why you don't make a show contain faux political commentary

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Well I thought of Donald Trump, who is a similar situation to stan in this (shyster runs for office, speaks his mind instead of using any people skills and says stupid poo poo) buuuuut remembering how long episodes get delayed + time needed to get them animated, the episode must have been written way before Trump even annouced running.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Acne Rain posted:

Well I thought of Donald Trump, who is a similar situation to stan in this (shyster runs for office, speaks his mind instead of using any people skills and says stupid poo poo) buuuuut remembering how long episodes get delayed + time needed to get them animated, the episode must have been written way before Trump even annouced running.

Which is the real magic of it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Guess who the only person that the official Stan Pines 4 Mayor Twitter account follows.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Oh hey the website updated

http://www.mabelsaidshedmakemeawebsite.com/

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Haha holy poo poo that Waddles page

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Boy, Tad Strange. What a guy.

After seeing how the necktie worked on Soos I was a bit worried that the episode was going to be about it seriously taxing Stan's straining weak old-man heart the more Mabel and Dipper used it. Glad to see it didn't go that way though.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I hope Tad Strange becomes a recurring character.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Tad Strange felt more like a Family Guy style cutaway gag more than anything.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ninja alamode posted:

Looks like the same as before, it's available now on amazon, so I assume they'll continue to have it up the next morning.

I'm disappointed in myself that I didn't expect the mind control at all. They gave that away in the title, but I was just expecting a campaign with regular hijinks. Also, seeing Bill's circle at the end reminded me, I think it had been assumed the glasses represented Stanford, but it's pretty safe to say that the six-fingered hand is Stanford now that we know he's the author. Are there any better theories whom the glasses represent now?

I don't know about the glasses, but we know what happened to the llama now.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It was a great episode and the only weak part was introducing Zoos as a surprise candidate. It didn't make sense because he didn't give the stump speech and didn't even throw his hat in the pile. Even with Gravity Falls' lenient electoral laws this would be too much. It was just a somewhat lazy way to get twins to the debate and put them backstage doing something.

Also, is it just me or it sounded like DiMaggio wasn't available and someone else had to voice Manly Dan?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Gravity falls has a gay mayor now. How progressive!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Say Nothing posted:

I don't know about the glasses, but we know what happened to the llama now.

Wait, who's the bag of ice?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

If Darrell Issa can be in government I don't see why not Stan. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

IUG posted:

Wait, who's the bag of ice?

Wendy, it's presumed.