Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Desperado Bones posted:

He is awesome, and I hope to see him on much more movies, good or bad. Period.

Now that we are talking about Bichir, let's see some posters from movies (and a few telenovelas) he was in:

Forgive the random DVD cover.

"When love becomes dust, you need too much heart."

That is some heavy poo poo right there..... I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

ShufflerZero posted:

90: These Are My People

His name is "Makepeace", lmao.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

effectual posted:

His name is "Makepeace", lmao.

Also, isn't that the plot for Drillbit Taylor? Complete with army jacket and white tee costume?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

kiimo posted:

My five wives, none of which are Molly Shannon, also none of which get billing.

Jesus gently caress.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

drat, I love the marketing stuff Deus Ex does.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i never plastered this

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Someone sure took the marketing from Bioshock: Infinite to heart huh?

This is better though. I don't know about the 1950s style fitting in with anything from either major Deus Ex game, but the artist really went whole-hog on the Rockwell aesthetic and it lands beautifully.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

I want to make a PYF Awkward Ugly and Gross thread joke....but I know it's going to suck.

Still, sweet posters.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alright. I feel out of touch...I have no idea what that is.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Deus Ex-- a better-than-average FPS cyberpunk game--has a new game coming out soon, and these are early ads for it:

They're really good ads but Deus Ex--especially the modern version of the series and not the 2000 original--is known for way better exploration of its transhumanist setting in its ancillary advertisements than the games ever do.

Compare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elQC62FUgqw

vs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq5KWLqUewc

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh okay. I will watch that if C. Robert Cagrill is writing it.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

BonoMan posted:

"When love becomes dust, you need too much heart."

That is some heavy poo poo right there..... I think.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around that.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

Oh okay. I will watch that if C. Robert Cagrill is writing it.

Might be waiting a while. That movie is seems to be in development hell.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

BonoMan posted:

Also, isn't that the plot for Drillbit Taylor? Complete with army jacket and white tee costume?

Yes but Drillbit Taylor was cast as "Superbad for elementary schoolers"

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

That's pretty rad!

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

BonoMan posted:

Not just that, but Adam Baldwin has a cameo appearance in it, being interviewed by Taylor as a bodyguard.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

I loving love this

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
I love Deus Ex but the Rockwell art throws me off. The games don't really have a 1950's aesthetic.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The first game is set in 2052 so it is technically very 50's.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ThatPazuzu posted:

I love Deus Ex but the Rockwell art throws me off. The games don't really have a 1950's aesthetic.

I think they're trying to evoke a 1950's "McCarthy/Red Menace" vibe with these.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I do like how the aesthetic changes with each installment of Deus-Ex. In the first game it was basic cyberpunk urban decay with some blocky robots stomping around and a few glowy computer terminals. In Invisible War it's all a lot more futuristic looking with people wearing sci-fi jumpsuits and living in huge arcologies, there was still some modern looking urban areas where the poor lived which contrasted pretty strongly with the clean, stylized techno world the rich lived in. Human Revolution is similar in that there is a lot of contrast between the poor areas and the richer areas and some of it even looks more futuristic than the anything in Invisible War despite taking place 40 or so years earlier but a lot of the design on the clothes, buildings and even some of the technology is heavily inspired by the renaissance so it's this weird mix of the distant past and the near future.

One thing the first game seemed to put more emphasis on than the later games was the whole "all conspiracy theories are true"-thing. Sure there is still a bunch of secret organizations all with their own plots to take over the world but there aren't as many references to actual conspiracy theories. Maybe because when the first game came out the X-Files were really popular so stuff like Area 51 and the like were pretty big in pop culture.

e:
That being said I seriously doubt the next game is going to deviate from the cyber-renaissance look of Human Revolution and go all 1950's Bioshock on us.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Aug 23, 2015

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ThatPazuzu posted:

Don't point this out too directly, you'll get people aggressively rationalizing the dissonance until the cows come home because they like the posters in a vacuum.

FreudianSlippers posted:

I do like how the aesthetic changes with each installment of Deus-Ex. In the first game it was basic cyberpunk urban decay with some blocky robots stomping around and a few glowy computer terminals. In Invisible War it's all a lot more futuristic looking with people wearing sci-fi jumpsuits and living in huge arcologies, there was still some modern looking urban areas where the poor lived which contrasted pretty strongly with the clean, stylized techno world the rich lived in. Human Revolution is similar in that there is a lot of contrast between the poor areas and the richer areas and some of it even looks more futuristic than the anything in Invisible War despite taking place 40 or so years earlier but a lot of the design on the clothes, buildings and even some of the technology is heavily inspired by the renaissance so it's this weird mix of the distant past and the near future.

One thing the first game seemed to put more emphasis on than the later games was the whole "all conspiracy theories are true"-thing. Sure there is still a bunch of secret organizations all with their own plots to take over the world but there aren't as many references to actual conspiracy theories. Maybe because when the first game came out the X-Files were really popular so stuff like Area 51 and the like were pretty big in pop culture.

Whoops too late.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

ShufflerZero posted:

90: These Are My People

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

mind the walrus posted:

Don't point this out too directly, you'll get people aggressively rationalizing the dissonance until the cows come home because they like the posters in a vacuum.

Using red scare artwork with the augs as the communists is basically on par with that one Mitchell and Webb sketch in terms of casting yourself as the bad guy but they look really cool and do a great job immediately explaining the conflict of the game. I'll take it over any of a dozen identical "guy facing the camera with head lowered and glowy poo poo/floating heads around him" posters games usually use.

Sleeveless fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 23, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

FreudianSlippers posted:

That being said I seriously doubt the next game is going to deviate from the cyber-renaissance look of Human Revolution and go all 1950's Bioshock on us.

Which is great, because I really loved the cyber-renaissance. Some of the fashion in that game in particular was amazing.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

MikeJF posted:

Which is great, because I really loved the cyber-renaissance. Some of the fashion in that game in particular was amazing.

Yeah. Some of the clothes are definitely things no person has ever actually worn, but they're believable as a kind of fashion that might emerge.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I definitely kinda feel like "McCarthyism, get it?" is a bit overdone at this point, and it's also hard to avoid comparisons to Fallout & BioShock. Still, decent posters.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I'd be okay with Mankind Divided exploring kind of a Cyber-McCarthyism thing. That era of America is pretty well-covered in video games by Fallout and Bioshock, but only aesthetically; Bioshock instead uses the setting to explore the flaws of different parts of far-right politics on their own terms, while Fallout uses the whole era as more of a backdrop, with all notable pieces becoming part of the history. Neither of them really explores that part of the time, beyond some vague Red Scare jokes in Fallout that are clearly more intended as Actual War propaganda rather than Cold War. So there's totally a spot in the market for it, especially if they use a different aesthetic to differentiate it. I'd say maybe a Cyberpunk Industrial Revolution look would do well for it, but that might drift too close to Dishonored.

Of course, the game as we've seen it looks like it's going for a 'the gold plating's fallen off' follow-on from Human Revolution's cyber-renaissance, which is just fine. Things have stopped being so ornamental as suddenly augmentations aren't seen as such a status symbol anymore, so we see more of the 'ugly' tech that would quite easily transition into the original Deus Ex's style.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 24, 2015

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Cleretic posted:

Of course, the game as we've seen it looks like it's going for a 'the gold plating's fallen off' follow-on from Human Revolution's cyber-renaissance, which is just fine. Things have stopped being so ornamental as suddenly augmentations aren't seen as such a status symbol anymore, so we see more of the 'ugly' tech that would quite easily transition into the original Deus Ex's style.

This is the fundamental problem between the posters and the game-- they're clearly two different things held together by the vague trappings of transhumanism. The last game had this problem too, per the videos I posted. That's not a bad thing, but it does mean that if you buy the new Deus Ex expecting "Bioshock: Blade Runner" you're going to be disappointed.

This goony dude 4 years ago made a very good video on this problem with games vs. games advertising, which hardcore C/D-ers should really give a shot as it comes down pretty harsh on the shallow thematics in gaming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnCpSMlUEpo

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

They should've made a cyberpunk version of actual renaissance propaganda

Just slap some robo arms on some of those dudes and you're set.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

flosofl posted:

I think they're trying to evoke a 1950's "McCarthy/Red Menace" vibe with these.

It's odd, because at E3 and elsewhere they've said they're going for an apartheid theme, which isn't really the same thing. Maybe they thought red scare imagery just connected more with American audiences, or maybe they didn't want their marketing to get confused with a Neill Blomkamp movie.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Erebus posted:

It's odd, because at E3 and elsewhere they've said they're going for an apartheid theme, which isn't really the same thing. Maybe they thought red scare imagery just connected more with American audiences, or maybe they didn't want their marketing to get confused with a Neill Blomkamp movie.

It may come down to more of a "know your audience" aspect. Americans are not very familiar with apartheid propaganda and these are very evocative of the Red Menace. Perhaps a similar treatment in South Africa would have more of an apartheid feel to them.

Maybe if they had gone the route of the Japanese internment camps during WWII, but I don't know if there was anything other than the "caricature of the enemy" type of propaganda then. There wasn't a "turn in your neighbor and report them" vibe in those (or maybe there was, I just haven't seen any posters like that).

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 24, 2015

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Another reason could be that Apartheid happened relatively recently and a lot of people still have unresolved wounds and issues with it, not to mention the Israel/Palestine connotations. Or, as everyone else has said, Americans in the target demographic don't connect with or recognize Apartheid as a cultural touchstone.

flosofl posted:

Maybe if they had gone the route of the Japanese internment camps during WWII, but I don't know if there was anything other than the "caricature of the enemy" type of propaganda then. There wasn't a "turn in your neighbor and report them" vibe in those (or maybe there was, I just haven't seen any posters like that).

The "turn in your neighbor" narrative wasn't a big part of nationalist propaganda in Apartheid South Africa, either, at least when directed at towards white people. There was a concerted effort to divide the black population by "ranking" their status by color, language, tribal affiliation and level of cooperation with the nationalist government. The Afrikaaner nationalists followed the example of the British when they took over in 1948.

If we see people being segregated by their level of augmentation, then we can draw parallels with Apartheid more directly.

Afriscipio fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Aug 25, 2015

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
Poster Six-Pack: It's All About 'U" Edition.

From my "I Should Really Get Around to Watching This" pile.

We're gonna need a bigger.. budget.

Run! It's a Derpsaurus!

Starring Barbara bach's severed head...

This poster's imagery courtesy of the fabled "Woodstock Brown Acid", methinks.

Mildly Not-Safe-For-Work for being the dirtiest Mad Magazine cover ever.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

Not a poster but a banner

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
"Hi! We pasted in people all over this cool background."

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

rawillkill posted:

I think I'm starting to get to the point where I assume any poster I see where there's no useful information and I have no clue what the gently caress the deal is supposed to be is Hunger Games

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Pretty sure that's Expendables tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

rawillkill posted:

All these months later and the statue still looks wonky as gently caress.