Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Go to the prereqs folder and install that poo poo. It looks like the updating script misses running those for some people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Volt Catfish posted:

is starbound actually f....fun now?

Not really, still needs a sense of progression and a worthy reason to do anything in the game.

This update is primarily for NPC housing.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Just landing on the first planet I can say the game feels like it has a lot more personality than it did the last time I dove in which was a long time ago.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Hot question: are guns good yet? Is it Soldat sandbox?

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Well I ran my pre-reqs and got it running, and now my teleporter doesn't send me anywhere. It sends me back to my ship, and then I can't access it again until I save+exit and restart. I rate this update 11/10.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lmao the game starts to finally get good one week before MGS5 releases and nobody plays anything but it for the next two months

Reiley posted:

Hot question: are guns good yet? Is it Soldat sandbox?

Sandbox Soldat would be like the perfect game

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
Yeah it looks like there were a few issues with the prereqs, most could be solved just by restarting steam but the rest should be fixed now.

Let me know what you think! There's still a lot of work to be done, but we've touched on every part of the game in this update.

The next update will mainly focus on improving how combat works in the game, and everything that goes along with that. We started work on the combat update while wrapping up the main work on the colony update, so there's actually a bunch of changes to combat in this update already, but they're pretty minor compared to the work we're going to put into it now.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Since I need to update the OP, I'm giving people in the thread a mission:

we need more pretty screenshots and info. If you have a screenshot that you think deserves to be in the OP, or you find that some important information has changed, or if you think anything needs to be updated, let me know. I'll probably be playing the game a bit myself tomorrow if only to get a feel for what I'm going to need to change and update for my race mod.

Also if you put up a public server and plan on leaving it up, I'll put it in the OP.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Supernorn posted:

Yeah it looks like there were a few issues with the prereqs, most could be solved just by restarting steam but the rest should be fixed now.

Let me know what you think! There's still a lot of work to be done, but we've touched on every part of the game in this update.

The next update will mainly focus on improving how combat works in the game, and everything that goes along with that. We started work on the combat update while wrapping up the main work on the colony update, so there's actually a bunch of changes to combat in this update already, but they're pretty minor compared to the work we're going to put into it now.

Are the new and improved upon combat mechanics the primary change, or will how much you can survive getting hit and how many hits it takes to kill an enemy been changed as well? (More forgiving? Less forgiving?)

Will there be practical and readily accessible recovery methods, or will your primary source of healing be finding a doctor NPC, eventually making nano bandages, or food (now no longer something you can set and forget between outings)?

Basically I'm wondering if how much you can survive getting hit/how much enemies survive getting hit shall remain like from since launch up to now, but with new sword swing animations and parries and energy mechanics on top.

The combat skewing towards Rocket Tag at times, along with the dearth of practical non grindy recovery options has always been my primary :sigh: about the game design from day one. So hopefully that gets sorted to more forgiving instead of more calling fast deaths :darksouls: A lot of the game itself has been pretty cool and impressive and that is the primary thing that has been making me throw up my hands and go play with other things.

These are actual questions, not rhetorical ones.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Combat needs a concise plan to build off of. What is the base Time To Kill of an even-level enemy encounter, how do level disparities or weapon quality skew that value, and how asymmetrical is the death threshold (player dying in one second of fire vs. enemy dying in 20 seconds is Not Ideal)? Symmetrical low TTK offers combat a sense of challenge built around speed, positioning and precision (which might be weird for a co-op sandbox), whereas asymmetrical TTK that skews in the player's favor is more forgiving to less aggressive players while still allowing for them to chew through scores of even-level enemies in an infinite universe instead of every other encounter demanding a pause in action to heal. High TTK outside of a boss encounter is little more than an endurance test and generally a waste of the player's time, offering no higher skill ceiling than 'how long can I pull aggro and kite for?'

Combat has been the one area of this game I've wanted to see done right and if the plan is a Borderlands UVHM bulletsink grind as challenge then I really feel like the opportunity for the perfect game (as mentioned in above posts) is being squandered on speedbumps and tedium.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Useless rambling about :darksouls: RE; starbound combat.

Basically, the literal Darksouls during my first half blind playthrough felt more forgiving than Starbound tends to be, for combat and recovery.

Because improvements in gear and statistics actually helped, instead of holding a status quo of "You can take X hits per area, and it takes Y hits to kill things. Better Learn To Dodge EVERYTHING, because those shields break super fast if the enemy has projectiles LOL" the whole game, every single enemy.

I chumped Kalameet and Artorias on the first shot thanks to the actual progression options. I didn't even use fancypants stuff I just used a big ol Manserpent sword and generic tower shield. At the end of the game I switched back to my starting equipment (now upgraded) to give the final boss a proper sendoff with my longsword and leather armor.

I felt like I had accomplished things, and I had options to make things workable with less "pro skills" even without any of the rare one of a kind stuff (Well, except the newbiest of armors that is Elite Knight Set, found at practically the start of the game).

Starbound Combat on the other hand felt like poorly balanced bullshit and offered no sense of success for merely surviving the millionth projectile spitting birdbearpigcyborg on any given planet. When not getting wind gust spammed off of asteroids into the void of space.

I upgrade everything every step of the way and it's the same treadmill, across entire worlds so one or two slip ups means having to drop everything and pull out a bed because your ability to eat food is still on cooldown, and it takes several bandages to heal so much as a single hit's worth.

I'm really hoping it will not prove to be hopelessly naive to trust what supernorn is telling me, again. Because the last time I got enthusiastic about promised combat design changes? "We're making energy more forgiving!" from norn a day later turned into "If you run out of energy, it locks your regeneration!"

But since they have so many cool things worked out okay, I'm sure THIS time combat changes will work out great... right? :shepface:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Aug 25, 2015

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

This update seems really good so far. Not sure if I just got lucky on my first world, but there's tons of caves, lots of iron and copper, and i've found lots of ropes and flares. It seems like mining stuff is faster now too. Energy comes back really quickly and I can actually string a couple of kills together with the gun that I found. There's a ton of diversity in mini-dungeons and set pieces, which was much needed. I found one of those magic doors to a jump challenge zone or w/e and aside from one part it actually was fun well put together. I like that there all sorts of small fauna hanging around now too. Combat seems to have been tweaked in that fighting with even tiered stuff isn't much a threat if you're paying attention, which is definitely nice. Those tech card things are uncommon drops rather than rare now, so by the time i'd finished getting the core fragments I had enough to unlock all three starter techs. This is I think mostly fine.

Some cons:
-You need to use diamonds, which are really rare, and this other thing, that seems to only available as loot, to upgrade the matter manipulator. The drop/find rate on the part seems good, i've picked up a bunch so far; however, diamonds are rare as gently caress and only seem to spawn in small, easily missable clumps. Assuming you still need to pick up oil for that early quest this could easily make that section drag on. Doing something like giving a 2 or 3 diamonds as a reward for the core fragment quest would help a lot I think (or just have it use core fragments instead).
-It's still a bit boring digging up ore because it's slow. Something I did with a mod I used on a server I was running was to make the caves more common, bigger, and spawn ore clumps way, way more often and upped the loot table by x1.5. This made it so you could stop and dig up ore if you wanted, which was easier to spot because it was a very dim light source, or just explore around and smack ore chests.
-The enemies still get boring pretty quickly. They should probably die a bit faster in general and maybe to compensate have them hit a bit harder.
-Why is the grappling hook so far up the tech tree? By the time you get to it you're going to have a couple of techs and that drastically reduces the value of the grapple. I'd suggest making it take a bunch of copper and iron, but being a starter tech.
-There should probably be a merchant somewhere near the beam down point of the starter planet that sells bombs, flares, bandages, and rope. You end up with a lot of pixels and I haven't found anything to use it on. The rope and flares make spelunking a pretty fun experience when you find enough linking caves to use them.
-WHY THE gently caress CAN'T I CATCH THE NEW ANIMALS AND DISPLAY OR SOMETHING GODDAMN

Overall this is a good update so far. I haven't left the first planet yet and I haven't tried farming yet, so I don't know if it gets bad again or w/e.

edit: oh and you use core fragments to upgrade your ship which is nice. There's now a point to grabbing them.

edit: also remove the slow backward walking it's terrible

Sloppy Milkshake fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Aug 25, 2015

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
does the glow ore mod still work?

are enemies still just garbage obstacles that waste your time when you're trying to do other stuff and dazzle you with their identical patterns when you're trying to fight?

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Ahundredbux posted:

does the glow ore mod still work?

are enemies still just garbage obstacles that waste your time when you're trying to do other stuff and dazzle you with their identical patterns when you're trying to fight?

probably and yes

edit: also the net counts as a weapon so i guess i'm never going to that town again.

Sloppy Milkshake fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Aug 25, 2015

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
There was a pretty cool mod where you could take a trophy of any enemy you kill, including posing it, and set it up as decoration on your ship/in your house. That should be included in vanilla.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Well after I deleted all my old save data and made a new guy I was able to teleport down to the starter planet. Combat has been adjusted somewhat since I last played, with only the avian tomb enemies feeling really annoying. Haven't hosed with farming yet, but otherwise mostly agree with sloppy.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Never thought I'd say this, but the colony stuff looks really nice and I'm glad it's finally coming together. On the other hand, there's still a bunch of questionable decisions present like the farming change and backwards walking(why), but hopefully you'll roll that back and fix other things in the combat update which is totally coming soon and won't be a giant step back like it hasn't been every time prior. Right?

I'm skeptical because this game keeps burning me, but early goon impressions seem positive. If somebody sets up a server I'd like to give it a shot.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Did they take out the ability to make picks?

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Okay I don't think you have to do that bullshit coffee quest anymore, I just bought her a candy bar. The energy bar regens really fast now even when you deplete it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Reason posted:

Did they take out the ability to make picks?

Looks lIke it. Just the matter manip.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Mokinokaro posted:

Looks lIke it. Just the matter manip.

Fine with me, if they matter manipulater was made better/easier to upgrade.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

the mining mission is way less annoying so far.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im glad of hearing about the improvements

ive always felt like this should be more sandbox oriented and just taking features from other games and make them fun and not tedious

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

These are positive steps.

According to Steam I have played this game for 70 hours. Why. Why have I done this. I know it's a bad game. What was I doing. Nothing about that time stands out. Perhaps I fell into a coma on the keyboard and spent 70 hours trying to mine the side of my ship.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

you forgot to close the launcher after playing for 10 minutes

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Kly posted:

you forgot to close the launcher after playing for 10 minutes

It's a good story, I'm going with it.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i've played the game for 153 hours and it's gonna be longer than that soon

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I have a lot of hours in the game because I often forget the close the launcher when I'm testing the mods I'm working on lol

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
yea right

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Section Z posted:

Are the new and improved upon combat mechanics the primary change, or will how much you can survive getting hit and how many hits it takes to kill an enemy been changed as well? (More forgiving? Less forgiving?)..

Yeah, revamping the combat mechanics will require a lot of balance changes out of necessity, both for the player and enemies. We'll be tweaking all of this stuff as we go forward with the changes.

Section Z posted:

The combat skewing towards Rocket Tag at times, along with the dearth of practical non grindy recovery options has always been my primary :sigh: about the game design from day one. So hopefully that gets sorted to more forgiving instead of more calling fast deaths :darksouls: A lot of the game itself has been pretty cool and impressive and that is the primary thing that has been making me throw up my hands and go play with other things

These are actual questions, not rhetorical ones on grinds

What would your idea of practical non grindy recovery options be, out of interest?

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

lots of feedback

This is cool, thanks for posting your thoughts as you go through. I think we can address some of this stuff pretty easily.

Kernel Monsoon fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 25, 2015

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Babe Magnet posted:

I have a lot of hours in the game because I often forget the close the launcher when I'm testing the mods I'm working on lol

i apparently had something like 80 hours ingame recorded because right after I bought the game and played it for 20 minutes I left the launcher up then went out of town for the weekend

I also discovered you can get trading cards by just leaving the launcher open, I must have made 17 cents that day

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Supernorn posted:

What would your idea of practical non grindy recovery options be, out of interest?

If you want to rip straight from a good game you could always just do estus flasks which are refilled upon visiting your spaceship/teleporter.

Also planetary bases should project a slow regen aura rather than having to sleep in a bed.

Basically dark souls/terraria does a good job of it.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 25, 2015

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Eonwe posted:

yea right

gently caress, you got me

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'd love a LAN option for quick, no fuss no muss local multiplayer. Supernorn, is this in the cards at all?

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Supernorn posted:

Defeated baddies could sometimes drop health pickups that would automatically restore an amount based on tier (like pixels, but for HPs). These could be in smashables, too.
If food didn't have downtime equal to uptime that would be a decent possibility.
Gear or tech that provides modest passive regen could let players patch up chip damage over time while not affecting time-to-kill.
Kinda similar to the pickups thing, but maybe some weapons could drain an amount of health on hit. That would affect balance tho.
"Comfort items" like beds could create small areas of regeneration, so players could be crafting or building while healing instead of lying in a bed doing nothing.
One of those "science-magic" staves could generate a little medical drone that would heal the user over time but break the second he or she takes any kind of damage.

I guess the main idea is to spend less time doing inventory management stuff or being functionally afk. Hope you guys don't mind me saying this even though the question wasn't for me.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

It's Sci-Fi just get a suit that auto heals you using mats from your inventory like in New Vegas etc.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Supernorn posted:

combat mechanics will require a lot of balance changes

:eyepop::siren: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGpADOgoiLY :siren::eyepop:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Wait is 100mb update I just got 5 minutes ago the content update or is that fixing stuff i'm confused

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i stopped playing starbound originally because the framerate was mildly terrible at all times and extremely terrible whenever more than ten unique decorations were on screen at once. has any of that been fixed or does the game still drop to 2-3 fps in prison colonies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I remember when the game came out and they were pushing out a lot of updates and everyone one the official forums were crying about :qq: MY BANDWIDTH :qq:

• Locked thread