Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The rules explicitly say that if you own the new deck you have to use it.

They actually say you should and we haven't seen a tournament document yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I'll probably use it just for practice and because I genuinely like some of those crits in there as compared to the crits that exist now.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
I'm gonna have to update my customized crit tokens :(

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I also notice that Damaged Sensor Array is much more restrictive this go around. I like it, since some ships can't just flat-out ignore it anymore.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

alg posted:

They actually say you should and we haven't seen a tournament document yet.

The rules say it replaces the original core set's deck. Claiming that you don't have to use the new one because it says "should" instead of "must" is silly.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The rules say it replaces the original core set's deck. Claiming that you don't have to use the new one because it says "should" instead of "must" is silly.

I didn't claim anything. I posted what the rules say. We don't really know what will happen until we see a tournament document, given the fact that some might not buy the new set. Lots of rules in the tournament document are different from the rulebook.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Can someone post a shot of the past where it says you should use the new deck? Got a couple of idiots gleefully trying to tell me to stop spreading rumors.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
Is it just me or is the blue ace's ability really neat. You can do a hard 1 instead of 1 straight for a boost. With the new Tallon roll, k-turn, and the option of a stright boost or hard turn boost, you will not be able to predict where the frick it will end up.you can do U-turns, tallon roll then turnboost so your guns are pointing into a trailing ship, so fun.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

jassi007 posted:

Is it just me or is the blue ace's ability really neat. You can do a hard 1 instead of 1 straight for a boost. With the new Tallon roll, k-turn, and the option of a stright boost or hard turn boost, you will not be able to predict where the frick it will end up.you can do U-turns, tallon roll then turnboost so your guns are pointing into a trailing ship, so fun.

It's an action is it not? Therefore can't do it after Tallon Roll cause it's red right?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Giving the small ships great and less predictable dials really seems like they're trying to undo the blocking & arc dodging high ps big ships with turrets and engine upgrade dominance. Tallon roll especially is a huge boon for jousting x wings that were ridiculously easy to block on the k turn.

It almost seems a bit like a "in hindsight this is how it should've been" reboot except not.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Strobe posted:

Can someone post a shot of the past where it says you should use the new deck? Got a couple of idiots gleefully trying to tell me to stop spreading rumors.

Posted a couple of pages ago:

nilstryfe posted:

The rules in the book say that if you have the new deck you have to use it.

edit: http://imgur.com/9CbukY8

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

bunnyofdoom posted:

It's an action is it not? Therefore can't do it after Tallon Roll cause it's red right?

Correct, without something to somehow eat the stress you can't boost after the tallon roll.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
So, are people who painted their wave 1TIE Fighters with a First Order paint scheme going to have problems trying to field them as Academy Pilots?

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

willus posted:

actually they did, as you would know if you checked the wiki http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Barrel

thank you.

thank you

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Poopy Palpy posted:

So, are people who painted their wave 1TIE Fighters with a First Order paint scheme going to have problems trying to field them as Academy Pilots?
No, the base is the only thing that matters.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Thanks.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

willus posted:

actually they did, as you would know if you checked the wiki http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Barrel

Based on where they appeared, it looks like barrels are actually Legends. :colbert:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Carteret posted:

Based on where they appeared, it looks like barrels are actually Legends. :colbert:

In that cases, breasts are also legendary. Maybe even mythical.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

bunnyofdoom posted:

I'm flying so casual I don't know the rules. :P Still looking at the dial, and the option of boost 1 straight or boost 1 hard left or right, you can end up in so many places it will be really hard for pursuing ships to predict your move.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
BB-8, plus PtL. Barrel roll, push for second action, take a green maneuver to clear the stress, then take a third action after you move.

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

The Gate posted:

BB-8, plus PtL. Barrel roll, push for second action, take a green maneuver to clear the stress, then take a third action after you move.

huh? you're selecting a green maneuver after performing an action?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Irom posted:

huh? you're selecting a green maneuver after performing an action?

Push the Limit can trigger any time after you perform an action, not just during the "Perform Action" step after moving. You can do the same sort of trick with Push the Limit/Advanced Sensors on something like a B-Wing. So in this case BB-8 gives you a barrel roll after you reveal your dial but before you move, you use Push the Limit to springboard off of that, then you make your move and since it's green you clear the stress PtL gave you, whereupon you get your third move.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Yeah, selecting might not have been the best word. You end up getting the stress from PtL before you actually move, which means it then clears and you can still take a normal action.

If they ever print any Tech upgrades with a printed action, you could take 4 actions in one turn with Enhanced Interface too!

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
ohhh. I guess I assumed the wording was after completing a maneuver not after revealing a maneuver. Well, that's interesting. Are we certain this is the correct interpretation?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Irom posted:

ohhh. I guess I assumed the wording was after completing a maneuver not after revealing a maneuver. Well, that's interesting. Are we certain this is the correct interpretation?

You can do the same thing right now with, say, a B-Wing, Push the Limit, and Advanced Sensors, though because Advanced Sensors actually takes the place of your regular Perform Action you don't get three of them, but you do still get to do "take action with AdvSens, PTL for another action, reveal green maneuver and clear stress."

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Strobe posted:

Immelman is a proper noun, and the maneuver is named for German pilot Max Immelman, who developed the maneuver during WW1. Obviously, Star Wars did not have a WW1.

I don't particularly give a gently caress what someone calls it, but it'd be kinda dumb to call it an Immelman no matter how identical the maneuver is if the setting is Star Wars.

Fine, it's a Split-S then?

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Kai Tave posted:

You can do the same thing right now with, say, a B-Wing, Push the Limit, and Advanced Sensors, though because Advanced Sensors actually takes the place of your regular Perform Action you don't get three of them, but you do still get to do "take action with AdvSens, PTL for another action, reveal green maneuver and clear stress."

Right but advanced sensors is worded as before you reveal your maneuver. Not sure if that changes things or not tho.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Irom posted:

Right but advanced sensors is worded as before you reveal your maneuver. Not sure if that changes things or not tho.

1). Select a green maneuver.

2). Before you reveal your maneuver, use Advanced Sensors to take an action.

3). Use Push the Limit to take a second action, gain a stress.

4). Reveal your maneuver dial, take the green maneuver you selected, remove your stress.

The only thing that's different with BB-8 is that the barrel roll goes off after you reveal the dial instead of before, but it still happens before you actually take the movement. So reveal, barrel roll, trigger PTL, then move...and because neither BB-8 nor PTL actually deny you your regular Perform Action (like Advanced Sensors does) then you proceed right along to that step free of stress and able to perform your third action of the turn.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Should != must.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Nephzinho posted:

Should != must.

I mean, sure, but you're really arguing semantics here and not intent. They want you to use the new deck, and that's clearly stated. The only question really is when/if they will require it for official events.

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Strobe posted:

Immelman is a proper noun, and the maneuver is named for German pilot Max Immelman, who developed the maneuver during WW1. Obviously, Star Wars did not have a WW1.

The barrel roll is not named for anyone in particular, and is called that because the maneuver resembles the craft looping around the perimeter of a barrel. There are, in fact, barrels in Star Wars. Go figure.

I don't particularly give a gently caress what someone calls it, but it'd be kinda dumb to call it an Immelman no matter how identical the maneuver is if the setting is Star Wars.

They don't have english letters but still managed to devise X-wings, K-wings, and Y-wings

B-wings got lost in translation prolly, they're obviously T-wings

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Nephzinho posted:

Should != must.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
B is for blade. They're sword shaped.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Irom posted:

They don't have english letters but still managed to devise X-wings, K-wings, and Y-wings

B-wings got lost in translation prolly, they're obviously T-wings

Actually...

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

The Gate posted:

I mean, sure, but you're really arguing semantics here and not intent. They want you to use the new deck, and that's clearly stated. The only question really is when/if they will require it for official events.

If they don't require it for official events, there will be people at official events arguing it (or flat out denying they have it).

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Yeah, most likely. I'm assuming they'd add it to the next tournament FAQ, but there'll probably be some time allowance, etc.

I have to say that I hope these new dials are the wave of the future for ships. Even without the boost or barrel roll options, these shops are way more maneuverable, which will make the generic ships far more interesting on the table. Green turns on the FO is super fun to think about!

dogsarentdangerous
Aug 11, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

1). Select a green maneuver.

2). Before you reveal your maneuver, use Advanced Sensors to take an action.

3). Use Push the Limit to take a second action, gain a stress.

4). Reveal your maneuver dial, take the green maneuver you selected, remove your stress.

The only thing that's different with BB-8 is that the barrel roll goes off after you reveal the dial instead of before, but it still happens before you actually take the movement. So reveal, barrel roll, trigger PTL, then move...and because neither BB-8 nor PTL actually deny you your regular Perform Action (like Advanced Sensors does) then you proceed right along to that step free of stress and able to perform your third action of the turn.

Could you push the limit again after you take your 3rd action? Or is it once per round?

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
PtL is once per round. If you had a card with an action and Enhanced Interface equipped though....

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Nephzinho posted:

If they don't require it for official events, there will be people at official events arguing it (or flat out denying they have it).

I will bet one hundred earth dollars that "you have to have an updated damage deck" is added to the tournament FAQ after a reasonable amount of time for new starter sets to make it to store shelves has passed. There's no way they put that in the rulebook for the new starter without plans to make it the new default damage deck and anyone who tries weasel-wording their way around it is almost assuredly going to be told "no, bring a new damage deck or don't play in this tournament, thanks."

dogsarentdangerous posted:

Could you push the limit again after you take your 3rd action? Or is it once per round?

PTL specifies once per round, so you can't chain multiple uses of it. Still, three actions in one go is pretty good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

dogsarentdangerous posted:

PtL is once per round

• Locked thread