Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have a link to the IT salary guide?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

siggy2021 posted:

I'm looking to get an inventory/asset management system in place where I work. At the moment, if someone leaves/gets fired/whatever, I have no loving clue what they have. My only resources are what the position they held would generally have, asking their manager, and for phones praying someone actually updated the name on the line on our carrier's website.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start looking on best practices and software to help get this done?

SCCM can do most of this for you. It will track Primary Users for devices when configured to do so and will pull detailed inventory information, including Asset Information tagged in UEFI/BIOS.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Drunk Badger posted:

Does anyone have a link to the IT salary guide?

The one? http://s3.amazonaws.com/DBM/M3/2011/Downloads/RHT_2015_salary-guide.pdf

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

SCCM can do most of this for you. It will track Primary Users for devices when configured to do so and will pull detailed inventory information, including Asset Information tagged in UEFI/BIOS.

It also inventories last logon information if your devices have, uh, migrated.

Don't think it would be too useful for managing phones though. You'll likely need some sort of enterprise mobility management solution for that.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

SCCM is great management data but really isn't Asset data. I would look at System Center Service Manager with either Provance or Cireson's ITAM plugins. It's not cheap but Provance has been doing ITAM for decades and they have put together a really excellent product. Cireson is OK and lower cost which has put some pressure on Provance to lower prices and bundle a package with some other good 3rd party pieces for SCSM.

I know there are other ITAM systems out there but with the System Center consulting I do, this is what I'm familiar with.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Zaepho posted:

SCCM is great management data but really isn't Asset data. I would look at System Center Service Manager with either Provance or Cireson's ITAM plugins. It's not cheap but Provance has been doing ITAM for decades and they have put together a really excellent product. Cireson is OK and lower cost which has put some pressure on Provance to lower prices and bundle a package with some other good 3rd party pieces for SCSM.

I know there are other ITAM systems out there but with the System Center consulting I do, this is what I'm familiar with.

It requires some work, but since SCCM acts on SQL queries you can transform the data in any way you see fit.

We exposed our VOIP VLAN and take inventory of phone MAC Addresses, IPs, and model data. Admittedly SCCM isn't "geared" towards asset management (it's really a software management platform at its core) but it can be engineered for nearly any purpose. If you're looking to integrate billing, invoice, or financial data definitely look elsewhere.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

It requires some work, but since SCCM acts on SQL queries you can transform the data in any way you see fit.

Where this doesn't work is catching that machine that never hit the network because it walked off the loading dock. or dealing with more complex assignment information relating to organizational structure or financial cost centers, etc.

The SCCM data is not asset data because asset data is what SHOULD be. SCCM is perfect for reconciling asset data because it gives us a view of what really is happening. SCCM is also pretty terrible with machines that go into storage or haven't yet been imaged, etc. Not to mention things that aren't on a network that may need to be inventoried (Monitors, Docks, etc).

The real key is the difference between what actually IS (SCCM) and what Should Be (ITAM).

Edit: OH, and both of the mentioned products link the SCCM data to the Asset data within SCSM so that you can more easily reconcile things.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

Not the one I was thinking of at first, but that works. I think there was a Modus one out as well

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
RHI and Modis put them out and I usually get access to them but I haven't seen one in quite a while. I'll ask around.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Zaepho posted:

Where this doesn't work is catching that machine that never hit the network because it walked off the loading dock. or dealing with more complex assignment information relating to organizational structure or financial cost centers, etc.

The SCCM data is not asset data because asset data is what SHOULD be. SCCM is perfect for reconciling asset data because it gives us a view of what really is happening. SCCM is also pretty terrible with machines that go into storage or haven't yet been imaged, etc. Not to mention things that aren't on a network that may need to be inventoried (Monitors, Docks, etc).

The real key is the difference between what actually IS (SCCM) and what Should Be (ITAM).

Edit: OH, and both of the mentioned products link the SCCM data to the Asset data within SCSM so that you can more easily reconcile things.

Agreed, which is why I mentioned invoice, billing, etc.

I'll have to look into SCSM. We use ITSM Service Management for Asset Management and I loathe every aspect of the service.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
In terms of the networking realm, what sort of job titles should someone with 3-4 years of experience in support and a CCNA/Sec+ be looking for? Network technician feels like it's aiming too low, network admin sounds like it's too much of a reach. Junior network admin? NOC positions?

Don't have the CCNA yet but will within 9 months or so, if all goes to plan.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Agreed, which is why I mentioned invoice, billing, etc.

I'll have to look into SCSM. We use ITSM Service Management for Asset Management and I loathe every aspect of the service.

SCSM isn't a great deal better and gives you virtually nothing out of the box. It's a product that I work on and can make do good stuff but it's the part of the suite that i loathe the most.

Granted you at least have access to all of your data!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

siggy2021 posted:

I'm looking to get an inventory/asset management system in place where I work. At the moment, if someone leaves/gets fired/whatever, I have no loving clue what they have. My only resources are what the position they held would generally have, asking their manager, and for phones praying someone actually updated the name on the line on our carrier's website.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start looking on best practices and software to help get this done?

LANsweeper is pretty awesome.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

In terms of the networking realm, what sort of job titles should someone with 3-4 years of experience in support and a CCNA/Sec+ be looking for? Network technician feels like it's aiming too low, network admin sounds like it's too much of a reach. Junior network admin? NOC positions?

Don't have the CCNA yet but will within 9 months or so, if all goes to plan.
Network Administrator, Junior Network Engineer, Network Engineer I, etc.

Job titles vary tremendously from company to company, so don't sweat the title. Search on keywords instead (like "CCNA") and apply for the jobs where you think you have even the slightest chance of coming in for an interview. In the beginning of your career, the interviews for the jobs you don't get are your best friend: they help you easily identify your shortcomings so you can work on them before the next interview.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Dark Helmut posted:

RHI and Modis put them out and I usually get access to them but I haven't seen one in quite a while. I'll ask around.

You have any access to the good ones? My company uses Radford and I'm curious how those compare to the publicly published one like Robert Half. RHI's seems a touch high, though I'm not sure if they include bonus or non cash compensation.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Dark Helmut posted:

Modis used to be easily available, but they seem to have thrown it behind a "Register with us and a sales associate will call you to discuss getting access!!!" wall and fuuuuuck that. If you have access to a copy and wouldn't mind posting/PM'ing it that would be awesome :)

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Yea I'd definitely be interested too.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Whenever I have been looking for jobs and salaries to use as a basis I have been going to http://glassdoor.com and putting in the title and region. Depending on the company you can sometimes get averages based on the actual company to see what they pay compared to regional average. Also for interviews sometimes people leave experiences there so you know what kind of questions they ask or what the process is like.

Very nice site.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
Just be advised that glassdoor is the yelp of job searches. Anyone who has an ax to grind posts their drama or bad experiences there. Conversely, it's very rare that someone posts a positive experience. YMMV, but just keep that in mind.

I'll try to get that guide, but like I said I haven't seen one passed around in over a year so we'll see.

This should be pretty useful, not to mention Dice is probably less biased than an agency:
http://marketing.dice.com/pdf/Dice_TechSalarySurvey_2015.pdf

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Dark Helmut posted:

Just be advised that glassdoor is the yelp of job searches. Anyone who has an ax to grind posts their drama or bad experiences there. Conversely, it's very rare that someone posts a positive experience. YMMV, but just keep that in mind.

I'll try to get that guide, but like I said I haven't seen one passed around in over a year so we'll see.

Yeah you gotta take any reviews with a grain of salt. But just like Yelp or Amazon ratings you kind of get a feel for interpreting them. You can kind of tell when someone complaining may be just a jerk with crazy expectations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Dark Helmut posted:

Like anything else: read the reviews, ignore the ratings.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Here is Robert Half's which I've found to be laughably high based on all of their ridiculous modifiers:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/DBM/M3/2011/Downloads/RHT_2015_salary-guide.pdf

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
One of my horrid former employers has gone on a Glassdoor Improvement spree, forcing employees to post five star ratings. I spoke to one of my old co-workers about it and she said it started as a genuine concern about the very low rating, and then turned into full scale click-fraud. I had to laugh because it's so obvious reading the reviews where the tidal wave of shills begins.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Here is Robert Half's which I've found to be laughably high based on all of their ridiculous modifiers:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/DBM/M3/2011/Downloads/RHT_2015_salary-guide.pdf

The thing I don't like about using them as a basis is that they are a staffing company that deals a lot with financial firms. They would clearly want the numbers higher so they can place people and bill higher. Plus the financial sector quite often is ready to throw money around.

quote:

The information is based on the market observations of our Robert Half Technology staffing and recruiting professionals, and the thousands of interim and full-time placements we make each year, as well as our frequent surveys of CIOs and other IT professionals.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Internet Explorer posted:

Good job! There will inevitably be something broken tomorrow. Just keep calm and work through it and you'll be fine!

Day started off fine. The majority of people who had issues just didn't follow instructions and restart. I only had one outburst of "What is this new file server. I just loving lost 3 years worth of drawings!!!1! You need to loving know what you're doing!!!1111" which was fixed in about 15 seconds (relog dude, you were special and had your own share for some reason and I had accommodated for it)

Then I got a little over ambitious and dedomo'd my old DC (that was also hosting the now obsolete file server) and immediately raised the domain functional level to 2012 r2 so there was no turning back. What I didn't consider was that for some reason almost every machine in the mill was hard-coded as it's DNS being server I just removed DNS from as opposed to getting it through DHCP(which is what I planned on). After 2-3 hours of doing that I realized what I had done and then the headaches began. I realized I turned the entire place into a bomb waiting to implode because login scripts will not function without a proper DNS. Turns out there is no good way of pushing a gpo to fix this either because gpo needs DNS to work!

All in all lessons were learned.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Aug 26, 2015

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Sounds like a job for Powershell and the network adapter cmdlets available in the latest version.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Power through a Server 2012 R2 install and add the DNS role, set the IP address the same. Maybe just adding the IP address onto the existing box would work as well.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Sounds like a job for Powershell and the network adapter cmdlets available in the latest version.

I might still want to do this. Can you explain a bit?

So I'd need to push a gpo to enable remote powershell access to all the clients first. Just kidding this wouldn't work because clients don't recieve gp updates without proper dns.

For the actual script would it be something along the lines of this? I know basically nothing about powershell. How could I populate workstations.txt and only workstations running windows 7 without dealing with wmi stuff because I don't know how to use that.

quote:

PS C:\> Invoke-Command -computername (get-content workstations.txt) -command { set-networkadapterdns "local area connection" -dnsserver 129.129.30.7, 8.8.8.8 }

Thanks Ants posted:

Power through a Server 2012 R2 install and add the DNS role, set the IP address the same. Maybe just adding the IP address onto the existing box would work as well.

Considered both of these. I don't have a datacenter key unfortunately. Once I panicked and realized what I had done I had already manually gone around and changed as many DNS settings as I could to point to new DC before thinking I could just add another vnic to my new DC and assigning it the IP of the old DNS after I was half way done and was worried I'd brick everything further.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 26, 2015

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Honestly to get a site back online long enough to GPO everything back onto DHCP I wouldn't worry too much about activating the software. It's going to be running for a week tops, just chuck the ISO at VMware and don't enter a key.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Methanar posted:

I know basically nothing about powershell.

First, from what you've already written, you're doing better than 90% on Powershell.

Second, there's a Powershell thread in Cavern of COBOL, you should start asking questions in there!

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Thinking this over again the simplest bandaid just seems to be add another vnic to my new DC and assigning it the IP of the old DNS.
Is there any reason this wouldn't work?

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

First, from what you've already written, you're doing better than 90% on Powershell.

Second, there's a Powershell thread in Cavern of COBOL, you should start asking questions in there!

I didn't even write that. I just quickly ctrl f'd in 30 seconds through the month of lunches book for pieces.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Aug 26, 2015

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Is there any reason you can't just give the existing nic another IP? I mean adding a vnic is probably just as easy, but this way you don't have to futz with a whole other connection.

E: that is, a secondary IP.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

CloFan posted:

Is there any reason you can't just give the existing nic another IP? I mean adding a vnic is probably just as easy, but this way you don't have to futz with a whole other connection.

E: that is, a secondary IP.

You mean I can set a second IP to the same nic that the proper DNS server is using? How?

I thought I'd have to actually add another vnic to the VM and have that vnic point to the same vswitch.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Methanar posted:

You mean I can set a second IP to the same nic that the proper DNS server is using? How?

I thought I'd have to actually add another vnic to the VM and have that vnic point to the same vswitch.

Advanced properties of the IPv4 settings on the NIC. You can assign multiple IPs

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Methanar posted:

I didn't even write that. I just quickly ctrl f'd in 30 seconds through the month of lunches book for pieces.

Ok, that brings you down to 80%

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Walked posted:

Advanced properties of the IPv4 settings on the NIC. You can assign multiple IPs

Wow. I've actually never clicked on that advanced button. Thanks I didn't know I could even do that. This is probably exactly what I need while I fix it for real.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

loving users, man. Third phish compromise in less than 24 hours, "Oh sure I'll click this link from someone I've never heard of-- oh, it wants my password? Better enter it to see what the message says!"

180,000 emails and a couple of blacklists later, here I am.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Methanar posted:

I might still want to do this. Can you explain a bit?

So I'd need to push a gpo to enable remote powershell access to all the clients first. Just kidding this wouldn't work because clients don't recieve gp updates without proper dns.

For the actual script would it be something along the lines of this? I know basically nothing about powershell. How could I populate workstations.txt and only workstations running windows 7 without dealing with wmi stuff because I don't know how to use that.

Considered both of these. I don't have a datacenter key unfortunately. Once I panicked and realized what I had done I had already manually gone around and changed as many DNS settings as I could to point to new DC before thinking I could just add another vnic to my new DC and assigning it the IP of the old DNS after I was half way done and was worried I'd brick everything further.

Actually now that I'm looking at it the Powershell NetAdapter commands are 2012 R2/Win 8.1 only, so they wouldn't work with an Invoke-Command since they don't exist on Windows 7. I could've sworn they had a RemoteComputer attribute, but apparently my memory is failing me.

Adding an IP is the better idea anyway, but once you've got things fixed definitely rip out the hardcoded DNS nonsense. That poo poo is bananas.

Wrath of the Bitch King fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 26, 2015

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Started my new job Monday, still going through company training and haven't seen my desk yet, but an interesting tidbit came up in the email security section. The cloud spam filtering service quarantines nothing and just appends *Spam* to the subject.

This seems insane to me because quarantines aren't that hard to check. Is this a common practice? Is this why you guys constantly battle ransomware?

Is this what my future holds?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We don't even allow users to browse quarantine. If they suspect something got blocked that they needed they need to put in a request for us to check it out. I've gotten maybe a half dozen requests in 5 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Alright, I fixed it well enough that nobody except me will notice the issue.

Thanks for the help.