Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The White Dragon posted:

The easy way to beat everything in FFT is to have a high-Brave character of your favorite cloth armor class with Barefisted and Auto-Potion. Put on clothes that increase your speed and attack power and then proceed to melt everything with your fists. If you have a full party of this loadout, almost everything is a joke. It's even fairly cheap to run as far as armor shopping goes, and you never need to buy weapons.

Pick up Time Mage's Teleport for even more fun!

This but replace auto-potion and teleport with MP Switch and Move-MP UP to make yourself unkillable in the Weigraf fight.

Or do what I did and grind out Dark Knight (this takes awhile). I managed to get it unlocked when I killed off Gafgarion before opening the castle gate and once Ramza has Dark Knight abilities everything else is trivial. In one of the earlier fights you can have a Treant show up. Bring a Mediator for that fight and recruit it, then once you get a Taiju you take it to an easy map and do some save/load poaching on it until you get the rare drop at the fur shop (Defender). Congrats! Your Dark Knight Ramza now has a sword you'll use through the rest of the game unless you give him Excalibur for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Your Dark Knight Ramza now has a sword you'll use through the rest of the game unless you give him Excalibur for some reason.

That reason being you have Dual Wield and you want auto-haste also :getin:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Al Borland posted:

Okay so my update on FF-0 so far. Holy poo poo :negative: They've really pissed all over final fantasy since I last really played one which was like 6 or 7.

This mother talk thing is super creepy for all the clearly capsule bred children of the sultry scientist.

They bastardized moogles for god's sake!
I'm really not liking the story so far and the fact they took 3 minutes in a cut scene to tell me what a save point was. (Which I everyone already had figured out.)

The game started out really good with the tutorial but is quickly crumbling with all this bullshit in between.

What the hell is this, Akademia's moogles own a whole ossuary of bones

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
This whole port was a direct result of Western fans crying for an English release, right? What was it people liked in the original strongly enough to try and get Square's attention?

In the interviews, Tabata sure seemed excited. I even read his AMA and it sounded like he was really hopeful about this remake. It certainly didn't sound like anyone was slacking off. Yet I hear it's not much improved from the PSP.

I'm just not sure what the goal of investing all that time and effort was when the reception has been... lukewarm at best, to a game people were clamoring for when it wasn't even translated.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

There was blood and death in the opening cutscene and it looked like Type-0 was going to be a deep and serious Final Fantasy for deep and serious adult Final Fantasy fans.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I think half the reason why Type-0 was localized was to get the console team up to date on HD development. The other half was being a prototype for future "HD" ports, and to be a vehicle for the FF15 demo.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i don't think it's a bad game, it's just a victim of the "best FF ever that square won't translate because they're idiots" narrative that was built up around it.

either way it's a FF game so even with a lukewarm reception i imagine it's sales are worth it, there's a reason square is releasing all their stuff on PC now

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Level Slide posted:

There was blood and death in the opening cutscene and it looked like Type-0 was going to be a deep and serious Final Fantasy for deep and serious adult Final Fantasy fans.

Interesting, that's exactly what Nomura said to expect from Versus XIII, which was being made alongside Type-0 back when it was still called "Agito". He said he wanted KH-style combat but grittier, bloodier and more aimed toward adults. He put an emphasis on how they'd never done a "bloody" FF game before this.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

i don't think it's a bad game, it's just a victim of the "best FF ever that square won't translate because they're idiots" narrative that was built up around it.

either way it's a FF game so even with a lukewarm reception i imagine it's sales are worth it, there's a reason square is releasing all their stuff on PC now

It turns out that its reputation of "best FF game that has never been released in English" doesn't mean much when we already have all the good ones.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
The best way to beat Wiegraf is to punch him to death before he even gets a turn.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Tae posted:

I think half the reason why Type-0 was localized was to get the console team up to date on HD development. The other half was being a prototype for future "HD" ports, and to be a vehicle for the FF15 demo.

Hexadrive, a development partner for FFXV, made the HD remaster for Type-0. It runs on an updated version of their old engine with added DX 11 features. Apparently, the localization had been finished for a quite some time but they sat on it until the HD remaster.

Excels posted:

Interesting, that's exactly what Nomura said to expect from Versus XIII, which was being made alongside Type-0 back when it was still called "Agito". He said he wanted KH-style combat but grittier, bloodier and more aimed toward adults. He put an emphasis on how they'd never done a "bloody" FF game before this.

Before it even became FFXV, Versus XIII lost some of the violence and blood it had during the initial reveal. SE has always been reluctant to push the envelope since FF, especially the main series of games, since a key demographic for the games are teenagers in Japan. Much of the darker aspects, such as the brutality of war, have come from directors like Matsuno and Tabata who have an interest in history and warfare. With the success of M-rated RPGs in the West and the contraction of the Japanese home console market, I'm not sure it continues to make sense to avoid directly appealing to an older demographic.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Sunning posted:

Before it even became FFXV, Versus XIII lost some of the violence and blood it had during the initial reveal. SE has always been reluctant to push the envelope since FF, especially the main series of games, since a key demographic for the games are teenagers in Japan. Much of the darker aspects, such as the brutality of war, have come from directors like Matsuno and Tabata who have an interest in history and warfare. With the success of M-rated RPGs in the West and the contraction of the Japanese home console market, I'm not sure it continues to make sense to avoid directly appealing to an older demographic.

Adding on to this, the kinds of "M-rated" aspects that we are talking about here appeal just fine to teens in the West and a lot of parents are accepting of them too. I cannot speak for the East though.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Al Borland posted:

Okay so my update on FF-0 so far. Holy poo poo :negative: They've really pissed all over final fantasy since I last really played one which was like 6 or 7.

This mother talk thing is super creepy for all the clearly capsule bred children of the sultry scientist.

They bastardized moogles for god's sake!
I'm really not liking the story so far and the fact they took 3 minutes in a cut scene to tell me what a save point was. (Which I everyone already had figured out.)

The game started out really good with the tutorial but is quickly crumbling with all this bullshit in between.

I told you not to play it you idiot

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
What's the triple triad app called? Searching on the App Store gives me some fan made thing

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's part of the Final Fantasy Portal app.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
It has "app" in the name of the app which is unconscionable

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

fronz posted:

What's the triple triad app called? Searching on the App Store gives me some fan made thing

Look up "FINAL FANTASY PORTAL APP", in allcaps. Triple Triad is part of the app. Also, if you download it before August 31st, you get a free copy of the iOS and Android ports of FF1.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Isn't Triple Triad like basically 3 games every 2 hours?

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Sunning posted:

Yeah, the first trailer in 2006 had red blood for the enemies, but for the 2013 PS4 reveal it had been changed to blue. Also, in Duscae the enemy soldiers are now robots.

Since the Japanese age ratings are way more strict on violence (especially against innocent people like in GTA), it might be worth having a censored version in Japan like No More Heroes or Metal Gear Rising did. Some people even prefer those versions since enemies exploding into pixels looks really cool, and the white blood in Rising actually fits parts of the story a lot better.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Tae posted:

It would be socially irresponsible to allow any more than that accessible by phone.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Tae posted:

if there was no limit to how long you could play, i don't think it's a stretch to say that single app would turn into a very unhealthy addiction

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I don't have the app but I'm surprised there's no way to buy like 1000 gil for $2.99 and you can play a game for 100 gil or something

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

from what I heard that's how it works

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Help Im Alive posted:

I don't have the app but I'm surprised there's no way to buy like 1000 gil for $2.99 and you can play a game for 100 gil or something

You get five crystals and any game (solo or versus) costs one crystal. These refill at 30 minutes per crystal. You can also pay real money to purchase more crystals. It's F2P at its finest.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Controversial opinion alert toot toot: FF is good and it is not a press X simulator, that is just experience and gamer elitism speaking

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
I want the FFXIII trilogy on Vita and PS4.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

bloodychill posted:

Controversial opinion alert toot toot: FF is good and it is not a press X simulator, that is just experience and gamer elitism speaking

Because on the good ones you press A.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Because on the good ones you press A.

I pressed X a lot of times when I was playing Final Fantasy 4

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

bloodychill posted:

Saying that Final Fantasy is good in the Final Fantasy thread, that's a real bold statement to make. I admire your ability to really put yourself out there like that, standing firm in your beliefs with so little regard to personal safety, knowing that you're fighting a battle you cannot possibly win yet still charging forward fearlessly.

When these dark times at last come to pass and man can once more sip the sweet nectar of freedom, TRUE freedom, it'll be the powerful words of people like you that will be remembered as the catalyst which ushered forward the magnificent golden era of actually liking the things we discuss and post about.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Kanfy posted:

When these dark times at last come to pass and man can once more sip the sweet nectar of freedom, TRUE freedom, it'll be the powerful words of people like you that will be remembered as the catalyst which ushered forward the magnificent golden era of actually liking the things we discuss and post about.

Of the posters on these forums, we alone, up to now, are the sole ones who have risked its all against posting about things we don't like. The magnificence of the courage and fortitude of us, the FF posters, defies description. We have chosen to risk being called loving nerds rather than being cynical all the time. Our last words will be: “Don’t scuttle FF.”

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Kanfy posted:

Saying that Final Fantasy is good in the Final Fantasy thread, that's a real bold statement to make. I admire your ability to really put yourself out there like that, standing firm in your beliefs with so little regard to personal safety, knowing that you're fighting a battle you cannot possibly win yet still charging forward fearlessly.

Well every Final Fantasy is the worst. :v:

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The Machine posted:

I want the FFXIII trilogy on Vita and PS4.

Same here, mostly because the PC versions are really poorly optimised because they run on a single thread, and even ridiculously powerful PCs can't hold a stable 60fps. Plus, the videos in FFXIII are lower quality than in the PS3 version.

Valkyria Chronicles was originally a PS3 exclusive, and that still had an extremely optimised port. I guess SE only intended to use the PC ports for their streaming service, until they realised they could also sell them on Steam.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

That loving Sned posted:

Same here, mostly because the PC versions are really poorly optimised because they run on a single thread, and even ridiculously powerful PCs can't hold a stable 60fps. Plus, the videos in FFXIII are lower quality than in the PS3 version.

I think SE doing a high-effort port of the 13 series to any platform at this point is pretty minimal. Not saying it wouldn't be neat to happen, but too many stars would have to align and from a business perspective, the money probably isn't there to be made.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

That loving Sned posted:

Valkyria Chronicles was originally a PS3 exclusive, and that still had an extremely optimised port. I guess SE only intended to use the PC ports for their streaming service, until they realised they could also sell them on Steam.

the ff13 engine is a real poo poo-show in general, though. i don't know that much about the VC development but sega tends to be much better at using good cross-platform tech, even for their smaller franchises.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

mycot posted:

Well every Final Fantasy is the worst. :v:

Such an...oudated opinion, that. Nowadays, popular consensus is that every Final Fantasy is simultaneously the best AND worst Final Fantasy.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I like... Final Fantasy

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Gross.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Baal posted: