Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Bob Morales posted:

He also forces everyone to print double-sided and tells people NOT to print unless they have to and he runs around picking up printouts to use for scrap paper.

I do this already and honestly, absent of all the other truly weird stuff, this seems like it should be encouraged in every office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

totalnewbie posted:

I do this already and honestly, absent of all the other truly weird stuff, this seems like it should be encouraged in every office.

Double sided printouts loving suck when you go to scan/fax that poo poo

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Bob Morales posted:

The real reason is because the owner LOVES printing emails. So if you have this email chain going, he'll print it and it's 85% signatures and he flips the gently caress out.

Get your colleagues to start using those "save the environment, don't print this email" images in their signatures.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

I've taken a 5000 post break from this thread, but I need to rant today.

I was asked to come to the regional office for a meeting. Project manager forgot to tell the guy planning it that I was coming, so I got left off the email with all the details in,.

Turns out that the "meeting" was actually building 4 server racks, one each, in the warehouse and shipping them off to customers.

Not knowing this I turned up in an expensive dress and 4" heels.

I'm totally justified in adding a pair of jeans to my expense claim, right? If they moan about it, I'll instead complain about being made to work in a steel toe cap and hard hat area without proper PPE.

E: Despite having to run into town, I still finished my rack before the 3 dudes, and with neater cabling, though I feel dirty because I was made to use cableties.

Lum fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 25, 2015

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Lum posted:

cableties.

:gonk:

Bob Morales posted:

The real reason is because the owner LOVES printing emails.

Bob Morales posted:

tells people NOT to print unless they have to

:wtc:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Lum posted:

I've taken a 5000 post break from this thread, but I need to rant today.

I was asked to come to the regional office for a meeting. Project manager forgot to tell the guy planning it that I was coming, so I got left off the email with all the details in,.

Turns out that the "meeting" was actually building 4 server racks, one each, in the warehouse and shipping them off to customers.

I'm totally justified in adding a pair of jeans to my expense claim, right? If they moan about it, I'll instead complain about being made to work in a steel toe cap and hard hat area without proper PPE.

E: Despite having to run into town, I still finished my rack before the 3 dudes, and with neater cabling, though I feel dirty because I was made to use cableties.

Cableties :cry:

Also welcome back. Haven't seen you in forever.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

I also now understand why people rave about Dell rails. Last rack I put together was a Compaq 9000 series, with 1st gen 4U DL380s in it! Also those R220s are amazingly quiet compared to what I'm used to.

Though the project manager cheaped out on the displays, went with a Belkin Omniview Pro 3 and a Belkin monitor tray.

The monitor tray comes with these stupid half-length rails that sorta dangle vaguely horizontally from the back of the rack, then you have to slide the entire tray over both of them as they flop about half way down the rack, before supporting the entire tray with one hand as you attempt to screw the front on with a pair of rack ears.

The KVM doesn't pass on EDID information, so if you're on Server 2012r2 or higher then I hope you like strretched widescreen 1280x1024 with the refresh rate set to 64Hz for some reason I simply can't fathom.

And for the icing on this poo poo cake, we were then made to configure the servers to autologin as a user with admin priveleges and autostart a GUI "service". UAC is disabled too, but I guess you figured that out already.

In the last half hour I replaced half of some dude's job with a batch file. I just wish I could replace the project manager with a batch file. CTTY NUL is all it would need to contain.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Lum posted:

Yup, a reasonable claim on the grounds of PPE - you could have cut your knees without adequate protection.

That reminds me, I still have to claim for a pair of trousers worn during a site visit to a concrete factory. Turned out those muddy puddles were concrete and water and I didn't notice until the splashes on my trousers dried into solid lumps. Not even Persil Ultra could shift that

Very nice dress, BTW

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Did not notice the pic. Nice dress indeed.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Lum posted:

And for the icing on this poo poo cake, we were then made to configure the servers to autologin as a user with admin priveleges and autostart a GUI "service". UAC is disabled too, but I guess you figured that out already.

We have such lovely services.

We run them all as fake windows services in FireDaemon. :ssh:

J
Jun 10, 2001

Bob Morales posted:

Owner has been getting mad because people bring a treat in on their birthdays. Cupcakes, cookies, whatever.

So I started bringing in a dozen donuts and anonymously leaving them in the break room early in the morning.

What in the hell :psyduck:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Owner has been getting mad because people bring a treat in on their birthdays. Cupcakes, cookies, whatever.

So I started bringing in a dozen donuts and anonymously leaving them in the break room early in the morning.

Coming back to this...

I actually remember once running into a client that complained to my boss that I was "too friendly" or something because I said "Have a good one" at the end of a conversation. So clearly I am not hiring material and should live on the streets.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Bob Morales posted:

Wait, this is the guy who is Very Particular About Capitalization and naming of folders.

\\fileserver\Dunkin Donuts\How Can I Help You\ Extra Large Coffee

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

J posted:

Wait, this is the guy who is Very Particular About Capitalization and naming of folders.

\\fileserver\Dunkin Donuts\How Can I Help You\ Extra Large Coffee

I think it's more like:

\\Fileserver\Dunkin donuts\How can i help you\Extra large coffee

(IIRC, he only wanted the first letter of the first word capitalized for some reason because he said so.)

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Did not notice the pic. Nice dress indeed.

I concur.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Lum posted:

I also now understand why people rave about Dell rails.

Say what you will about Dell hardware (I'm fine with it) but ReadyRails are a godsend, especially when you compare them to Cisco equipment that requires you to hold the equipment in place with one hand while you screw in the mounts on the front.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

They've even made the cable management arms not-poo poo. I used to throw them away if they ever got ordered by accident, but now I quite like them.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Tailored Sauce posted:

If somebody would bring in hummus and pita chips instead of donuts one day, I would be so happy.

Ask Sundae how bringing hummus in to work went for him.

Some idiot got offended because Sundae was eating terrorist food in the cafeteria and Sundae had to attend sensitivity training as a result. :psyduck:

On a better note, I just pulled a hell of a :yotj:. I like my current job, but I've been wanting to try living overseas for a while, so just for the hell of it I started applying for some jobs in Ireland. Got an offer from a company in Limerick today! :cheers:

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

They've even made the cable management arms not-poo poo. I used to throw them away if they ever got ordered by accident, but now I quite like them.

Cable management arms?!? Not with this PM!

Who needs cable management arms with 1U servers anyway!

Lum fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 26, 2015

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Lum posted:

I just wish I could replace the project manager with a batch file.
New thread title please. (Full disclosure: I was a project manager for 10 years.)

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Lum posted:

Who needs cable management arms with 1U servers anyway!
I have a customer who refuses to use them because ~*~*AIRFLOW*~*~ whether 1U, 2U, 4U, or 5U, so no matter how many interfaces hang off the back, everything is a dangerous, tangled waterfall that scares me whenever I have to replace a fan/psu/IO adapter/etc

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Bob Morales posted:

I have to agree about the signature thing though.

So many companies are mandating poo poo like this::

Nitrogen A. Neckbeard
Corporate Shill - Department of Redundancy Department
123 Pothole Filled Rd. | Smokestack, NY 12345
Office: 666-555-1234 | Cell: 666-555-4321 | Fax: 666-555-9876

Contoso, Inc.
[contoso logo here]

We make things for people that have money to buy things.
[company facebook link] [company twitter link]

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Our C-levels and upper management went through some kind of feel good awakening a while back, so at the end of their signatures they have some sort of "strengths" list that they post.

So after the company logo, the contact info, and the other junk they'll have something like:

quote:

Achiever | Responsibility | Individualization | Relator | Learner

People seem to eat that poo poo up.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Our C-levels and upper management went through some kind of feel good awakening a while back, so at the end of their signatures they have some sort of "strengths" list that they post.

So after the company logo, the contact info, and the other junk they'll have something like:

At one point we all got rocks. Foam rubber rocks with signs sticking out of them where we wrote our current big challenge, how we were going to overcome it, and some other poo poo.

I've done plenty of ridiculous things in my career in call centers, but I think this was the first time I said to my supervisor "You realize this is completely ridiculous, right?"

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

you ate my cat posted:

At one point we all got rocks. Foam rubber rocks with signs sticking out of them where we wrote our current big challenge, how we were going to overcome it, and some other poo poo.

I've done plenty of ridiculous things in my career in call centers, but I think this was the first time I said to my supervisor "You realize this is completely ridiculous, right?"

"My current challenge is getting rid of this loving rock. I plan to give it to my dog or set it on fire or something equally amusing. In this way it shall give me pleasure, and make me more productive."

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

you ate my cat posted:

An old boss of mine was into "game-ification." We were a tier 3 helpdesk and he was trying to incentiveize lower call times and first-call resolutions with Wawa gift cards and days where we'd order pizza in from a local pizza joint.

We didn't confront him about how dumb it all was until he started designing a big prize wheel ala Wheel of Fortune that he intended for each month's "big SLA winner" to spin for a fabulous prize.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Bob Morales posted:

At least they are not using "Have a Magical Day!"

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

tomapot posted:

At least they are not using "Have a Magical Day!"

Don't tell me what to do!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We had spirit animals but only like two people still use them

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

We had spirit animals but only like two people still use them

*mumblemumble*something about cultural appropriation*mumble*mumble*tumblr*mumble*

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
I committed a terrible sin today - I trusted what my co-worker was telling me we needed to do in order to remove some 4-month old ctk-vmdk file off of datastores for a couple hosts. Turns out when he said they're old core dump files, they aren't actually core dump files, as they had to rename them back in April with a .old extension to fix some corrupted backup issue. The whole loving thing should have been better researched, but he was confident that all we needed to do was shut the hosts down and that would allow us to delete the file manually off the datastores.

Two hours later we were still trying to figure out how to delete the file, but on the positive sign I managed to fix my screwup of disabling the core dump file and partition so I didn't look like a completely incompetent fuckup. I finally threw in the towel since I was getting woozy and irritable, and that's always a sign that my blood sugar is getting low and I need to grab something to eat. I left him there reading some VMware KB articles - he should have actually researched the drat procedure further if he wanted to proceed. The 5 minute search I did turned up a warning that it's a pain in the rear end getting rid of those files and that if it isn't 100% necessary then to leave it alone. Apparently our team lead prefers a nice, organized and clean VM folder on the datastore and didn't like the 6 meg file being there, but didn't know how to get rid of it since it wouldn't let him delete it from the disk just by right-clicking on it.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Say what you will about Dell hardware (I'm fine with it) but ReadyRails are a godsend, especially when you compare them to Cisco equipment that requires you to hold the equipment in place with one hand while you screw in the mounts on the front.

Our HP servers have something similiar to ReadyRails and once you get the hang of it they are really convenient. Unlike the Cisco 2921's I have to mount regularly which are unwieldy monstrosities.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Our signature has all the usual contact info, disclaimers, etc., but after that we have one of our company's seven Core Values. Core Values like "We Treat You The Way You Want To Be Treated" and "We Own What We Do." It cycles through the seven on a monthly basis.

Pissed me off: having to write the drat script to cycle through the Core Values.

beepsandboops fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 26, 2015

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

It almost makes me want to put something at the end of my signature mocking it just to see if anyone notices.

Procrastinator | Aimless | Defenestration | Glutton | Misanthrope

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Bob Morales posted:

Double sided printouts loving suck when you go to scan/fax that poo poo
So...this makes faxing more of a pain in the rear end?

Sounds like a good policy to me. Anything that discourages the use of those evil machines is wonderful.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Not my choice. Certain vendors and clients require fax.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

beepsandboops posted:

Our signature has all the usual contact info, disclaimers, etc., but after that we have one of our company's seven Core Values. Core Values like "We Treat You The Way You Want To Be Treated" and "We Own What We Do." It cycles through the seven on a monthly basis.

Pissed me off: having to write the drat script to cycle through the Core Values.

My company has these horrendous email signature policies that marketing cooked up. It's got all those little social media buttons, a Facebook link and a stupid huge logo. They also wanted technical people to plaster the logos for all our certifications (which for some of us, would be an insane amount of GIFs, PNGs, and JPEGs)

I've refused on the grounds that they look tacky and unprofessional. I keep it simple: Name, Title and Dept, Company, Office Phone Number and Email Address. Every now and then I toy with putting a URL to the company at the bottom, but I always end up removing it.

About once every couple months someone who's attached to whatever project I'm on at the time will emai that I'm not adhering to the marketing email policies. My reply is a simple "You are correct."

Other than the occasional "you're doing it wrong" from people who have zero impact on my position, I've never been reprimanded or had it remarked upon.

Break your signature bonds. Odds are, no one will really care.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Once upon a time Dell R200 rack rails were the hosed up kind that had to be lifted up into the U above it and then out. Meaning that if you had racked a bunch of them you literally had to unrack every server from the top down in order to get a set of rack arms out.

At the colo I am hosted in, I can still see a rack of pizza boxes with a random gap with an abandoned set of rack rails in the gap and think, "yep. An R200 was there."

Has dell fixed that poo poo since then?

Bob Morales posted:

I would start signing off my emails and greet people in the hallways with, "HAPPY YKATERINA BRIDGE! YOU FILTHY INGRATE!"

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It almost makes me want to put something at the end of my signature mocking it just to see if anyone notices.

Procrastinator | Aimless | Defenestration | Glutton | Misanthrope
"Cynic" and "Patronising" would go in mine at least.

poo poo pissing me off today: 600mm wide racks. Even with the best cable management it becomes an unmanageable mess because there's just no room for the cables to go down the sides. And there's no way I'm going to get an OK to replace them with 800mm racks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

A previous employer I worked for did that. I believe it was called "Strengths Finder". Everyone got the book and then had to take the test online. Once all of the results came back we had meetings to talk about our strengths and how they fit with the rest of the team. It was pretty much a complete waste of time. Marketing loved it.