Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Tendai posted:

She's eating better than me today.

I feel a little ashamed.

DInner is served, Madam.

It went down very well :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Pookah posted:

DInner is served, Madam.

looks a hell of a lot better than my lunches lately :(

Glad Her Ladyship is feeling better!

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Pookah posted:

DInner is served, Madam.

Shouldn't have looked while I am hungry.

Good job Pookie!

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Disco Salmon posted:

looks a hell of a lot better than my lunches lately :(

Glad Her Ladyship is feeling better!
No kidding, I ate straight out of the leftovers container today, and here's a parrot eating curry off a nice plate.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Tendai posted:

No kidding, I ate straight out of the leftovers container today, and here's a parrot eating curry off a nice plate.

Made by their private chef.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Burb is obviously broken - plate's not upended, no food in feathers, not a drop of finger blood to be seen.

Seriously though, she's super sweet, glad she's ok.

Happiest little dinosaur.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Suntan Boy posted:

Burb is obviously broken - plate's not upended, no food in feathers, not a drop of finger blood to be seen.

Seriously though, she's super sweet, glad she's ok.

Happiest little dinosaur.

Seriously, if that was a saucer, it would have been thrown across the room. Side plates are apparently OK in Birdverse.

Edit; Spuddybird is a-bed now and all is well :3:

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Big birds honestly terrify me. Not only are they way smarter than little birds, they are much less skittish and give so little fucks, they can actually use their smarts.

The wild cockatoos are working together to tease my akitas. Big 40kg bear looking things. I wish my camera was charged.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Big birds honestly terrify me. Not only are they way smarter than little birds, they are much less skittish and give so little fucks, they can actually use their smarts.

The wild cockatoos are working together to tease my akitas. Big 40kg bear looking things. I wish my camera was charged.

Same. Pelicans are my biggest fear.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

Made by their private chef.
Can I hate a parrot on a deep envious level but still love them because they're a parrot and I want to watch them do parrot things? Because drat.

Pookah posted:

Seriously, if that was a saucer, it would have been thrown across the room. Side plates are apparently OK in Birdverse.
It's called MANNERS you plebeian :3:

I really like them because of that lack of skittishness. Judah is a friendly, people-oriented little guy but he is a cockatiel and they are... special. Whereas the larger birds (that didn't have underlying mental/health/environment issues) that I've interacted with were pretty unflappable (sorry).

Especially the hyacinth macaws. Every one I've met has been the most gentle, mellow parrot I've dealt with.

Oh, for the kind of money to have one of those in a really satisfying environment for it.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Tendai posted:

Especially the hyacinth macaws. Every one I've met has been the most gentle, mellow parrot I've dealt with.
Oh man. Zoey, the hyacinth macaw at Denise's Parrot Place here in Seattle, is such a sweetie. She really likes me (I'm there often enough!).

She'll hang on to branches and then wait for someone to grab her feet and she'll start kicking or doing a bicycle motion, it's hilarious. She also REALLY likes snuggles.

Here she is doing just that in a photo of mine that a local magazine published (and totally failed to attribute to me! :mad: )

also have some photos of Alexis & Auri from this evening just before bedtime:

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 26, 2015

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kenshin posted:

Here she is doing just that in a photo of mine that a local magazine published (and totally failed to attribute to me! :mad: )

Oh jeez look at all these birbs :3: The bird store in Arizona I used to go to would sometimes have one that a customer brought in, I think to get her nails done? But she was the sweetest parrot I've ever met. The whole attempting to tongue-kiss my eardrum was a little weird, but still, you know, friendly.

I love how your birds go from "aw yeah scritches" to "CRAZY EYES HELLO"

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
My dream bird is a blue & gold macaw, they are just so beautiful and amazing.

If I had the time and money to get one, I would in a heart beat.

Then I could pretend I was a pirate.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Pookah posted:

DInner is served, Madam.

What goes into bird curry?

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

So I took a good 45m of video of Albert dicking around and chatting in her cage this weekend to see what new words she's learned lately.

Enjoy this supercut of the most noises/chatter/works/head bobbing.

Edit: Removed. Someone filed copyright claim on a song on the radio. Guess ill cut whichever song that is. Lame.

Notable words:

"Hey Albert!"
"Pretty Bird"
"Yummy yummy!"
"Beepboop" and/or "Peekaboo"
"BuckbuckbuckBUCKAK!" (still working on this one...it's more like "peeppeeppeepPEEKAK!" at the moment)

Grraarrgghh fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Aug 26, 2015

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Khizan posted:

Judah, if he keeps being a poo poo like he was tonight :getin:

The audio got muted, apparently someone decided they held the copyright? :stare:

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Khizan posted:

1/2 partridge or 1/2 duck, an onion, and I just use the brick of curry seasoning that you buy at the store because I'm lazy and I think it tastes good. Make sure it's the brick one and not a packet or jar.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Did the video pick up the radio in the background? Music can auto hit triggers on youtube if its the wrong song.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Kenshin posted:

Pookah posted:

DInner is served, Madam.

Such cute birbs :kimchi:

I am THIS CLOSE to looking up the nearest lovebird seller on Gumtree and going over to their place this afternoon and taking all their birds. I won't actually do it because impulse purchasing birds is Very Bad but ugh. I miss my baby neckbird :smith:

Tonight I am playing Eclipse Phase so I can pretend to be a (different) bird and also hug cats and eat junk food and tell everyone about how awesome Bitey was.

e: PS thank you everyone being so nice about Bitey, it is very much appreciated :unsmith:

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Crows honestly from experience I think it might be best to wait a while and perhaps get a different coloured love bird or even another species if at all possible. I loved my second Quaker Kimi but she was too similar to my first one Yoda (both green), and I never had the same relationship with her that I had with Yoda or my curent blue Quaker Bobby, which I really regret.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 26, 2015

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Khizan posted:

I took about a 1/4 cup each of red lentils and yellow split peas and soaked them for a couple of hours, then heated a little coconut oil (supposed to be good for parrots) and sauteed one green chili. I added the drained lentils/peas and sizzled them a bit then added water to cover everything along with a small teaspoon of garam masala (salt-free mix). I left that to simmer until everything was pretty soft but not completely cooked and popped in 1 minced tomato and 2 finely grated carrots to add a bit of sweetness. Topped it up with water if it looked too dry and just let it cook on til the split peas were done :) I put little helpings into paper cupcake thingys and froze them, so now I have about two weeks of Pookie breakfasts/dinners ready to go!

The saucer vs. plate thing is pretty funny; when she was little we started playing a game with her that was basically spinning a saucer on it edge so she'd pounce on it and try to kill it. Ever since she has regarded saucers, and only saucers, as enemies to be destroyed. Every other size of plate or bowl is just somthing to grab food from.

Edit: Tomatoes are ok, but the stems, leaves, or green bits around the stalk on top are toxic and have to be completely removed.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Aug 26, 2015

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Crows honestly from experience I think it might be best to wait a while and perhaps get a different coloured love bird or even another species if at all possible. I loved my second Quaker Kimi but she was too similar to my first one Yoda (both green), and I never had the same relationship with her that I have with Yoda or my curent blue Quaker Bobby, which I really regret.

Yeah, the babies I'm watching at the moment are meant to be blue/turquoise/teal when their feathers come in. I deliberately asked the breeder if she had any non green-peach-faces because I don't think I could handle getting another one that looks too similar to Bitey. Also why I want to wait at least a month plus before getting a new one rather than getting one of her current ready-to-go birds (who are both regular green Bitey-coloured peachies). I've spoken with her and she's okay with me deciding to delay it a bit further if the new babies are ready to go and I still don't feel quite comfortable with getting one, and she knows to not under any circumstances give me one of the current ready-to-go birds (because I will certainly regret it).

I've been looking up cockatiels too if I decide I can't get another little lovebird.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Yeah, the babies I'm watching at the moment are meant to be blue/turquoise/teal when their feathers come in. I deliberately asked the breeder if she had any non green-peach-faces because I don't think I could handle getting another one that looks too similar to Bitey. Also why I want to wait at least a month plus before getting a new one rather than getting one of her current ready-to-go birds (who are both regular green Bitey-coloured peachies). I've spoken with her and she's okay with me deciding to delay it a bit further if the new babies are ready to go and I still don't feel quite comfortable with getting one, and she knows to not under any circumstances give me one of the current ready-to-go birds (because I will certainly regret it).

I've been looking up cockatiels too if I decide I can't get another little lovebird.

You're doing it right, do it on your own time, but I will tell you I can't recommend cockatiels enough. The stories of derp are legendary, and they can be cuddly too, it just takes a little work.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

get a cassowary

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

Okay so I filed for Fair Use and it seems to be working now. Woopie dumb bird noises!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BGM4jLqKl4

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

anotherblownsave posted:

You're doing it right, do it on your own time, but I will tell you I can't recommend cockatiels enough. The stories of derp are legendary, and they can be cuddly too, it just takes a little work.
Cockatiels are pretty great. Judah can be an annoying poo poo some days but 85% of the time he's a joy and a pretty simple parrot in terms of his needs on both a physical and emotional level.

Dreggon posted:

get a cassowary
I would be way more scared if I were robbing someone and they had a cassowary than if they had some big guard dog.

Grraarrgghh posted:

Okay so I filed for Fair Use and it seems to be working now. Woopie dumb bird noises!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BGM4jLqKl4
Oh man all the little noises and burbles and then random word :3:

Well... Judah is nothing if not stupidly self-confident.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Yeah cockatiels are little flying retards but they're good-natured and fairly friendly flying retards. Plus, the derp means they can't pull off being assholes as well as the smarter birds

aerialsilks
Nov 28, 2013

please stop telling me about how you "humanely euthanized" your hamster by drowning it in its ball
Being constantly on Poop Watch with Pie is starting to piss me off. Larger birds and birds with wetter poop in general are so loving hard to tell if there's something wrong with them. Show me a parakeet and I can probably tell you anything going on with their poop, but this conure? Goddamn.

It's a combination of worry and irritation, because I can't actually tell if anything is wrong. He keeps having intermittent really wet, really loose light green poops and then an hour later they'll be tight and dark again. I really have no idea what to think here. He's acting completely normal, eating normally, eating his veggies(though not yet today), drinking, no weight loss or gain, nothing feel weird around the keelbone/vent. I just don't know.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

thank you, I needed this today.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

aerialsilks posted:

Being constantly on Poop Watch with Pie is starting to piss me off. Larger birds and birds with wetter poop in general are so loving hard to tell if there's something wrong with them. Show me a parakeet and I can probably tell you anything going on with their poop, but this conure? Goddamn.

It's a combination of worry and irritation, because I can't actually tell if anything is wrong. He keeps having intermittent really wet, really loose light green poops and then an hour later they'll be tight and dark again. I really have no idea what to think here. He's acting completely normal, eating normally, eating his veggies(though not yet today), drinking, no weight loss or gain, nothing feel weird around the keelbone/vent. I just don't know.

It's completely normal. Whenever Alexis eats a bunch of apple or drinks a bunch of water she has really watery poops 30 minutes to an hour later. If she's been munching on pellets or drier foods she has drier ones.

The only reason to worry about it I should think is if Pie starts pooping in ways that are NOT normal (like all wet poops all day long or all dry poops all day long)

aerialsilks
Nov 28, 2013

please stop telling me about how you "humanely euthanized" your hamster by drowning it in its ball

Kenshin posted:

It's completely normal. Whenever Alexis eats a bunch of apple or drinks a bunch of water she has really watery poops 30 minutes to an hour later. If she's been munching on pellets or drier foods she has drier ones.

The only reason to worry about it I should think is if Pie starts pooping in ways that are NOT normal (like all wet poops all day long or all dry poops all day long)

It'll go in stretches. The past few poops have been extremely wet and loose. He was in his cage before that and it's cleaning day tomorrow so it's hard to actually tell what's newer in there.

He's been shredding his rope perches recently. Could it be from ingesting them? He does usually strain to poop every so often, too. Should I just take them away?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

aerialsilks posted:

It'll go in stretches. The past few poops have been extremely wet and loose. He was in his cage before that and it's cleaning day tomorrow so it's hard to actually tell what's newer in there.

He's been shredding his rope perches recently. Could it be from ingesting them? He does usually strain to poop every so often, too. Should I just take them away?
Alexis strains to poop every morning because she stores it up all night and has 1-2 megapoops for me in the morning.

Same with when I get home from work... little bird doesn't like pooping in her cage!

I forget, did you take Pie to the vet? If they don't see anything wrong, there's probably nothing wrong.

aerialsilks
Nov 28, 2013

Kenshin posted:

Alexis strains to poop every morning because she stores it up all night and has 1-2 megapoops for me in the morning.

Same with when I get home from work... little bird doesn't like pooping in her cage!

I forget, did you take Pie to the vet? If they don't see anything wrong, there's probably nothing wrong.

I didn't, because the last time it cleared up by the next day and was completely fine pretty much up until last night. I'll try to make him an appointment for the weekend after I get paid, and see if I can find a better bird vet in the area. The only legit avian vet I know is an hour away and I have no car(though maybe a friend could take me. if i have enough money for that vet anyway.)

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
http://thebestoftumbling.com/post/125698544775/cockatoo-peekaboo

I think I've found the happiest cockatoo

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

aerialsilks posted:

I didn't, because the last time it cleared up by the next day and was completely fine pretty much up until last night. I'll try to make him an appointment for the weekend after I get paid, and see if I can find a better bird vet in the area. The only legit avian vet I know is an hour away and I have no car(though maybe a friend could take me. if i have enough money for that vet anyway.)
Ok. They'll just want to do an anal swab to get cultures most likely.

What is Pie eating? If you're feeding high-water-content fresh fruits or veggies then I'd expect the poops to be kinda watery...

Tadhg Dall
Dec 5, 2008

aerialsilks posted:

For a while a similar thing was happening to Oliver; he would have very soft pale poops and then it would go back to normal. I kept debating whether I should take him to the vet until I finally realized that the weird poop happened every time I gave him dried papaya (but not right away, like an hour later to be confusing) so I stopped giving him that and it stopped happening.

I did take him in one time that he vomited in the morning (like puke splattered everywhere, not a nice I-love-you puke) and mentioned the on and off weird poop to the vet and he said that if it clears up after a few poops that it's probably nothing serious.

As far as straining, our vet said that as long as something is coming out it's probably just a case of bird-derp. My boyfriend's bird frequently strains as if pooping were an Olympic event.

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.
Just read this article about an injured toucan who got a new 3D-printed beak. :3:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Carbon Thief posted:

Just read this article about an injured toucan who got a new 3D-printed beak. :3:

That's awesome :3: The material looks like leather with the way the light hits it so it's like he's wearing one of those ridiculous gloves that only covers the fingers, only on his beak. What a stylish motherfucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
The same parrot I saw in a cage on its sailboat at anchor in the British Virgin Islands:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgcatkA2dw8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsQL1vvLEsk

auuugh i wish I could bring Auri with me to the Caribbean

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Aug 27, 2015