Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
zing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I miss the days when all gg chat was relegated to cesspools like twitter and reddit subforums before the movement collapsed under its own hilarious stupidity and most people returned to their old places of discussion

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I wasn't aware they ever left their old places of discussion

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

theultimo posted:

Reminder, Macross Plus turns 20 today.

i was reading on polygon comments or neogaf or something nerds bitching about how MODERN ANIME has been ruined with the inclusion of pop idol stuff in relation to that fire emblem SMT game. little do they know macross is literally like 35 years old. lol

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

icantfindaname posted:

i was reading on polygon comments or neogaf or something nerds bitching about how MODERN ANIME has been ruined with the inclusion of pop idol stuff in relation to that fire emblem SMT game. little do they know macross is literally like 35 years old. lol

people have a weird obsession with japanese idols. a trailer for a new falcom came out that had idols in it for a single shot and the entire reaction was people bitching about that.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I wasn't aware they ever left their old places of discussion

Might just be my perspective bias, I had a flare-up on facebook of people posting about it over the last few days and lamenting gg sites they posted at going down

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
If your facebook friends include people who post about gamergate then you should stop and reevaluate where your life is heading

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Motto posted:

people have a weird obsession with japanese idols. a trailer for a new falcom came out that had idols in it for a single shot and the entire reaction was people bitching about that.

I know former anime emperor, Zorak, would often talk about how the idol industry is a front for actual yakuza or someshit. I have to wonder if that one idol group comprised of ladies over 80 are also part of the yakuza conspiracy and the death of feminism in Japan.

Anyway, Tokyo Xanadu looks like a nice game, even though I probably won't be able to play it for a long time.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Motto posted:

Level Slide posted:

I know former anime emperor, Zorak, would often talk about how the idol industry is a front for actual yakuza or someshit. I have to wonder if that one idol group comprised of ladies over 80 are also part of the yakuza conspiracy and the death of feminism in Japan.

Anyway, Tokyo Xanadu looks like a nice game, even though I probably won't be able to play it for a long time.

i mean idol stuff is legitimately kind of sketchy, although like everything to do with japan people's reaction can be way far out of proportion to it, it's just the dumb nerds slowly realizing that their favorite video games are actually anime games *gasp* and freaking the gently caress out that's so funny. it's like you told someone the bread they make sandwiches for lunch with has actually been made of ground up cockroaches for years

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

icantfindaname posted:

i mean idol stuff is legitimately kind of sketchy, although like everything to do with japan people's reaction can be way far out of proportion to it, it's just the dumb nerds slowly realizing that their favorite video games are actually anime games *gasp* and freaking the gently caress out that's so funny. it's like you told someone the bread they make sandwiches for lunch with has actually been made of ground up cockroaches for years

of course there's super bad things about idols, but people get weird about them appearing in anything. I think even pokemon had an idol minigame in it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

icantfindaname posted:

if i found out all my bread was made of cockroaches i actually would be upset though?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

icantfindaname posted:

That analogy only really makes sense if the bread actually was made of ground-up cockroaches though, because Japanese games definitely put stuff like idols in things where it makes no sense to us and is weird

Like your point about overreactions makes sense but is in no way exclusive to the way geeks react to anime or Japanese things, nerds having hilariously overblown positive and negative reactions to nuances of media (from all countries) is such a thing that everybody from The Simpsons to the AVGN has been joking about it for decades at this point

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aGOpjqAW3M

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Adam Bowen posted:

If your facebook friends include people who post about gamergate then you should stop and reevaluate where your life is heading

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Adam Bowen posted:

qft and should be next thread title

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Zombies' Downfall posted:

That analogy only really makes sense if the bread actually was made of ground-up cockroaches though, because Japanese games definitely put stuff like idols in things where it makes no sense to us and is weird

the point is they didn't care or notice for years until it was pointed out to them. it was a bad analogy

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Nerd A: <Thing> about <country X> is amazing! Why is <my country> so stupid... :sigh:

Nerd B: Are you kidding me? <Other thing> about <country X> is literally the worst thing on earth and they should all be shot. <Country X> :argh:

Remember kids, all other countries are cultural monoliths and only your own deserves nuanced views.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
i played a lot of sfv it's really good

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It looks like Street Fighter 4, again.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Ekster posted:

Nerd A: <Thing> about <country X> is amazing! Why is <my country> so stupid... :sigh:

Nerd B: Are you kidding me? <Other thing> about <country X> is literally the worst thing on earth and they should all be shot. <Country X> :argh:

Remember kids, all other countries are cultural monoliths and only your own deserves nuanced views.

lol you think people have nuanced views of their own countries

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lurdiak posted:

It looks like Street Fighter 4, again.

in that they are both good games.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

in that they are both good games.

Street Fighter 4 was teeeeerrible.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
America is the greatest country on Earth.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

TheScott2K posted:

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

TheScott2K posted:

America got Deez Nuts. *points at crotch*

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

TheScott2K posted:

for me to poop on

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
more like Animerica

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

TheScott2K posted:

i need to quote this again so the people know

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

TheScott2K posted:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Greatest at sucking

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

America pros:

- Good highbrow TV
- A handful of decent game studios I guess

America cons:

- Literally everything else about the country

*dies from heart attack stuck in gridlock on a 15 lane American freeway chanting USA USA*

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
よび

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

A Steampunk Gent posted:

America pros:

- Good highbrow TV
- A handful of decent game studios I guess

America cons:

- Literally everything else about the country

*dies from heart attack stuck in gridlock on a 15 lane American freeway chanting USA USA*
There is no gridlock on the freeways, there's no grid. It's a freeway. That's the whole point. You only get gridlock on a grid.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

There is no gridlock on the freeways, there's no grid. It's a freeway. That's the whole point. You only get gridlock on a grid.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm not really an expert on US road systems. I just see pictures from across the atlantic and think to myself 'thank god it wasn't me'

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I'm not gonna lie, I'm not really an expert on US road systems. I just see pictures from across the atlantic and think to myself 'thank god it wasn't me'
You must have good eyesight, I can barely see pictures from across the street.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

You must have good eyesight, I can barely see pictures from across the street.

It's the only way we can keep track on all the places we used to own :(

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
I live in Brazil

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

program666 posted:

I live in Brazil

how many sega genesis/megadrive systems and games do you own?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

program666 posted:

I live in Brazil

How are you handling the Tony Hawk situation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
I called techtoy once to get tips for toejam and Earl and they gave me a huge string of commands that didn't work

• Locked thread