Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

LastInLine posted:

The reason I ask is because anyone, rooted or not, unlocked or locked bootloader, can apply an OTA with the stock recovery and the everyone else update came out a few days before the T-Mobile one. Using the everyone else update caused radio dropouts. Shouldn't have affected Bluetooth but for some reason wifi and Bluetooth on Android seem to be weirdly tied together.

Personally I'd try the dev preview and see if that fixes the problem because then you'll have a really good idea if it will get fixed in the next version.

Flashed the M preview, so far no problems (other than apps that don't work fully with M yet).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I think it boils down to the differences between the 3rd gen and 4th gen Gobi LTE modem from Qualcomm.

The 805, 808, and 810 all use the 4th gen.

The 615 and 410 use the 3rd gen.

The Nexus 6 uses the 805 and has a "one device to rule them all" situation similar to the Pure with the 808.

We already know that the Moto G using the 410 needs different SKUs depending on radios since there's a GSM model and a model for Sprint/Virgin/US Cellular.

I'm going to go out on the limb and say that the 4th gen Gobi can support more simultaneous radios than the 3rd gen which makes an 'all carrier' device possible.

So, that would leave the 615 in the multiple SKUs bucket to cover all US carriers since it uses the 3rd gen modem. So, Moto had a choice to make. They could do like they did with the G and release one or two SKUs that would serve part of the market, but they probably felt there wasn't enough price difference between $220 and $300 to make it worth the effort. So, they decided to shop the device around for carrier support. If the carrier would support it, then it would be worth their time to make a unique SKU to serve that market. Only Verizon bit. That is likely because they are not served by the 3rd gen Moto G and they need a decently priced option to go with their new no-contract plans.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Anyone here go from the Nexus 4 to the 2015 Moto G? I'm curious if there is any sort of difference in performance. I know the battery life is better on the G, not sure about the camera.

MannStooka
Sep 18, 2003
I mentioned a problem I'm having with ghost images in Picasa a few pages back and nobody commented on it. I'd like to re-post the question, but I'm not sure if that's poor etiquette or not. Is it cool to re-ask a question if it slips by, or is there a waiting period you should go through to not be annoying as poo poo?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Butt Savage posted:

I learned about a Verizon and Motorola deal from a buddy of mine last week whose brother works at a Verizon store. According to him...

This sounds like it's going to be super reliable information.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
I know, I know. It's part of the reason why I didn't bother mentioning it in this thread since it gave off that whole "my uncle who works at Nintendo" vibe, and on top of that I myself questioned the accuracy. But he wasn't too far off, he just mistakenly thought the exclusivity applied to all the new Moto X's and not just one model.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Seditious Jerk posted:

I mentioned a problem I'm having with ghost images in Picasa a few pages back and nobody commented on it. I'd like to re-post the question, but I'm not sure if that's poor etiquette or not. Is it cool to re-ask a question if it slips by, or is there a waiting period you should go through to not be annoying as poo poo?

I saw your question but don't know the answer. My feeling is that Picasa is completely tied to Hangouts and you can't do what you're wanting but have no evidence one way or the other.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Seditious Jerk posted:

If clearing Picasa's cache doesn't solve it then I'd chalk it up to just "one of those Android things."

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009

Hughmoris posted:

Anyone here go from the Nexus 4 to the 2015 Moto G? I'm curious if there is any sort of difference in performance. I know the battery life is better on the G, not sure about the camera.

I'm curious about the difference too. I have a Nexus 4 that is still going strong but having 4G LTE would be nice.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Carriers need to stop installing crap people don't want.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/08/major-android-remote-access-vulnerability-is-now-being-exploited/?comments=1

Sea Monkey
Nov 20, 2008

Hughmoris posted:

I just upgraded from the N4 to the 16gb Moto G and I'm loving it. It's blazing fast, the camera is a nice upgrade, and the battery life (cannot be understated) is terrific. Highly recommended.

Here's a photo I took with the Moto G yesterday:

(Oh, the camera does suck in dim light though)

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Hughmoris posted:

Didn't go from one to the other, but I've owned both. Moto G blows the Nexus 4 out of the water in every aspect.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
The 2015 Moto G should easily outperform the Nexus 4, not only is it 3 years newer, the Nexus 4 could barely legally claim to have "battery life" and "a camera" in the first place.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Desk Lamp posted:

The 2015 Moto G should easily outperform the Nexus 4, not only is it 3 years newer, the Nexus 4 could barely legally claim to have "battery life" and "a camera" in the first place.

It had that badass design on the back glass though.

gently caress that was tits.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I miss my N4, it was the perfect size. I see you're already on the topic of the Moto G, I read one of the Moto devices has actual hands free control of some sort, at least while in car? Does this have that? Voice control is laughably bad natively in android, coming from WP.

Also the N4 has LTE, you just need to root and use an app to make it work.

codo27 fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Aug 26, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

codo27 posted:

Also the N4 has LTE, you just need to root and use an app to make it work.

Well it only has LTE on Band 4 and if you're to the point where you've rooted you can just download and flash the radio in fastboot without the app.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

codo27 posted:

I see you're already on the topic of the Moto G, I read one of the Moto devices has actual hands free control of some sort, at least while in car? Does this have that? Voice control is laughably bad natively in android, coming from WP.

I have no idea about the Moto G or E, but every generation of the X has had always listening Touchless Control (or Moto Voice, they renamed it at some point). Among other things, it detects that you're driving and reads text messages out loud to you, asking you if you want to respond (through dictation). What problems have you been having with the native voice control?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Super Dude posted:

I have no idea about the Moto G or E, but every generation of the X has had always listening Touchless Control (or Moto Voice, they renamed it at some point). Among other things, it detects that you're driving and reads text messages out loud to you, asking you if you want to respond (through dictation). What problems have you been having with the native voice control?

G does not have the always listening chip. I had it on my '13 X and I really didn't like it. I listen to a lot of audiobooks so random pausing for crummy quick little messages were more of a nuisance to me.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'm not sure if battery problems are a thing of the past or not (mostly because every time I Google something, there's always wild contradictory information) but, I accidentally left the tablet off charge until it shut down. This is the first time I've done it. Is this going to cause a battery issue?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Letting your tablet shut off because of lack of battery once isn't going to destroy your battery. I would probably avoid doing it constantly, but you shouldn't have any problems because of this one incident.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

With Windows phone, boy it was a breeze. Driving down the road and get a text, I don't have to look at the phone or interact with it in any way, it would say I have a text from someone, ask if I want to read it, and then give me the opportunity to reply. How the gently caress in 2015 does android not have this stock? Yes yes you can get apps, although I've tried some and they still require you to do at least something first, but this should be baked in.

I'm willing to forego the removable battery I guess seeing with all 3 Galaxy's I've had (S, S3 and S5) the back cover has cracked from removing it all the time. 8gb internal storage does seem a bit low even with SD slot. But for $200? Koodo lists it at $216 so I can probably get it even cheaper somehow.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

TraderStav posted:

G does not have the always listening chip. I had it on my '13 X and I really didn't like it. I listen to a lot of audiobooks so random pausing for crummy quick little messages were more of a nuisance to me.

The always listening is unrelated to the pausing of playing to read text messages. The reading of text messages is just a configurable thing in the Moto app. (Well, I guess it was the Moto Actions app back on the '13 X.)

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

The desire z was my first smartphone and its physboard was great, the s4 that replaced was fine without one. The nexus 6 I have now would be harder to use with one due to size IMO.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Desk Lamp posted:

FWIW, the new Moto G (2015) benchmarks slightly above the Nexus 4. (roughly 20,000 on Antutu). For comparison the Nexus 5 apparently tests around 27,000. Other recent budget phones do have quite a bit more horsepower. The Idol 3 scores around 32,000 and the Zenfone 2 about 42,000.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

See I couldn't care less about benchmarks in phones because, well, its a loving phone. I'm not gonna be playing any games on it (until a mobile version of Space Harrier is put out). I found my N4 very snappy, especially when I rooted it and used a custom ROM. I just want things to open and transition reasonably smoothly.

I just wish the loving industry wasn't trending towards big phone=big specs. I mean just because I want a <5" phone doesn't mean I should have to settle for a poo poo camera (the other big factor for me) or lack of any other features.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Keep in mind that even though the processor is just a little above the Nexus 4, RAM and NAND are probably significantly faster on the Moto G which would lead to a better experience.

MannStooka
Sep 18, 2003

LastInLine posted:

I saw your question but don't know the answer. My feeling is that Picasa is completely tied to Hangouts and you can't do what you're wanting but have no evidence one way or the other.
Did I properly describe the problem? These pictures only show up when I go to attach and image, and it doesn't to matter what application I'm using to do it. Hangouts, the default text messaging app, they both show the same thing. Before I discovered the web interface to manage photos through Picasa Web Web Albums, there were a lot more. I cleaned everything out of the Picasa web front end, and now there are just a handful of older images that I can't seem to locate anywhere.

Desk Lamp posted:

If clearing Picasa's cache doesn't solve it then I'd chalk it up to just "one of those Android things."
How would I do that if I have never had Picasa installed on my phone as an app?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

You can go to Settings > Storage and click on Cached Data to clear the general cache, if that helps

I'm guessing your Picasa account is connected to your Google one, and that's why it's pulling in data from there. Might be worth checking what you have under Accounts and Sync in the settings, and maybe also look at your Google account online and see if you can unlink the Picasa account

I think for a lot of people Picasa got automatically changed to Google+ albums, and now that's being pulled out into Google Photos, so uh your pics might be lurking in there too

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The coolest thing about picasa and google photos was when I was at the cabin once and it just decided to sync up my photos to my phone for no reason to the tune of 2 gigs of data back when I only had 500mb. Luckily the carrier waived it when I explained what happened.

MannStooka
Sep 18, 2003

baka kaba posted:

You can go to Settings > Storage and click on Cached Data to clear the general cache, if that helps

I'm guessing your Picasa account is connected to your Google one, and that's why it's pulling in data from there. Might be worth checking what you have under Accounts and Sync in the settings, and maybe also look at your Google account online and see if you can unlink the Picasa account

I think for a lot of people Picasa got automatically changed to Google+ albums, and now that's being pulled out into Google Photos, so uh your pics might be lurking in there too
I cleared the cache like you suggested. The results are confusing. The images/photo thumbnails have disappeared, but they have been replaced with blank, gray placeholders. See the image attached. This is loving bizarre, and it's annoying the poo poo out of me.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I think I've come up with a solution for your annoyance.

Place the phone face up on the ground between your feet. Now jump into the air, bringing your knees up as far as you can. On the descent, be sure to direct the heels of your feet sharply downwards and firmly onto the screen of your phone. Repeat this in rapid succession until you fall down or the stomping can cause no more discernible damage to the device. You've now successfully "jumped up" your phone and can go buy something else!

MannStooka
Sep 18, 2003
And just to clarify, not sure if this matters, this problem is only happening when attaching messages from the "Gallery" app, not "Photos".

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

BeastOfExmoor posted:

FWIW, the new Moto G (2015) benchmarks slightly above the Nexus 4. (roughly 20,000 on Antutu). For comparison the Nexus 5 apparently tests around 27,000. Other recent budget phones do have quite a bit more horsepower. The Idol 3 scores around 32,000 and the Zenfone 2 about 42,000.

Good thing benchmarks are useless! How does the Zenfone benchmark for Crapware per Phone and Build Quality per Second? :3:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Seditious Jerk posted:

And just to clarify, not sure if this matters, this problem is only happening when attaching messages from the "Gallery" app, not "Photos".

Then stop using the Gallery app and start using the Photos one.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Y

Thermopyle posted:

The always listening is unrelated to the pausing of playing to read text messages. The reading of text messages is just a configurable thing in the Moto app. (Well, I guess it was the Moto Actions app back on the '13 X.)

Yes, that's right. I need to enforce my no-posting-before-breakfast rule.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Seditious Jerk posted:

It might be MediaServer still listing the files in its database (but they're not there so the app can't generate thumbnails). Try restarting your phone and see if they've gone

MannStooka
Sep 18, 2003

baka kaba posted:

It might be MediaServer still listing the files in its database (but they're not there so the app can't generate thumbnails). Try restarting your phone and see if they've gone
I restarted it after I cleared the cache, no change. :saddowns:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

If you click them and it says something like CAN'T LOAD THAT then they might disappear on their own eventually. It's all a bit weird

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Would you guys get a Nexus 5, a Moto G, or Moto X Play if those were your options and money was a potential factor? I realize the Play is twice the price of the G, but maybe it's worth it? I am in Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
What should have better battery life? Moto X Play with its larger screen and more pixels and 3630 mAh or the Moto G with its smaller screen and less p and the 2470 mAh?