Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Hey, at least this time the PC-version doesn't glitch out with every other spell and makes you think the game crashed. I always hated when that happened, it made every battle feel twice as long if you used a lot of magic. I think I buy it tomorrow after I'm back from hiking in the local woods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

At least I wasn't the only one to notice the weirdly loud footsteps I guess.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Sakurazuka posted:

At least I wasn't the only one to notice the weirdly loud footsteps I guess.

I'm surprised CLOMP you CLOMP noticed CLOMP anything CLOMP else :v:

It looks like the devs are on top of the bugs, though. Hopefully they'll patch them quickly.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So I'm playing Grandia 3 after turboing through Quarter (was...a game? Super light on everything non-combat), and this is the longest set-up to "wait, she's your MOM" age joke ever. And in a very weird, questionable way as well.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Grandia 2:

quote:

"Yes, there was a lot of work done for Hard Mode both for regular enemies & for bosses. It's not just the raw health & defense numbers that are different, but also the speed of the opponents attack bar (frequency) that have been adjusted. As the user starts to progress the boss battles will start to become very challenging. Some battles later on that may have took 20mins on Normal Mode before could last 45-60mins+ mins on Hard Mode.

General world enemies in Grandia II Hard Mode are more difficult because of an increase in their frequency of attacks, their increased HP, and in some instances their ability to take damage. This makes each enemy engagement more risky for the player, while still providing the same reward and XP curve, ensuring that enemy difficulty does not outpace player advancement. Combat has not been ramped up overly excessively for world enemies, as the player is never a great distance from a save cone and we don’t want Hard Mode devolving into a constant shuttling between the save cone and the next world enemy.

Bosses in Grandia II HD Hard mode however, have been made significantly more difficult. Their attacks are much more frequent, forcing the player to make constant decisions about when to heal, boost, or attack; balanced against the player’s capacity to counter boss attacks with defensive maneuvers. Bosses also have large boosts to HP, defence, and in some cases even their base damage values. Vulnerabilities to specific attacks have also been decreased, but not so much that enemies lose their “personality”. This ensures that players still have an avenue to attack bosses in specific and tactical ways. Regardless of these increases though, players should be able to beat any boss via a tactical approach, regardless of the leveling up choices they’ve made prior to that point in the game."

Coins were just patched.

Also don't talk to the tutorial guy in the shops because apparently it's still bugged from the Dreamcast version.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

That sounds pretty good actually.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Rascyc posted:

Grandia 2:

quote:

Some battles later on that may have took 20mins on Normal Mode before could last 45-60mins+ mins on Hard Mode.

Coins were just patched.

Also don't talk to the tutorial guy in the shops because apparently it's still bugged from the Dreamcast version.

I hope that is an exaggeration because that doesn't sound fun at all.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I think that's kind of his point for your typical player. Don't just randomly pick Hard mode unless you want that sort of thing. I doubt they'll actually last 45-60 minutes and are probably more like 30 minutes but even that's going to be a big turn off for a lot of people. Just don't play Hard unless you are a gigantic Grandia combat nut.

It's best not to find these things out when it's not too late for your average player.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tae posted:

So I'm playing Grandia 3 after turboing through Quarter (was...a game? Super light on everything non-combat), and this is the longest set-up to "wait, she's your MOM" age joke ever. And in a very weird, questionable way as well.

Please don't do Grandia 3 to yourself

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Rascyc posted:

Grandia 2:

Coins were just patched.

I've been on hard mode from the start, just got to the part with the Eyes of Valmar, and mostly it's enemy defensive capability that's the issue. I have to heal sometimes, occasionally, but so far I've not had any trouble with HP except in one specific fight where the boss only targets Ryudo. Mostly it's been an issue of having to use spells and abilities to take out large enemy packs before they can chew through Elena and Roan, so resource management is the biggest issue. Bosses have generally been easier since they take a lot of damage but they don't do so much, at least yet, so there is plenty of time to buff and debuff up.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I missed all the B-D talk but count me amongst the people that actually enjoyed the twist and everything about it and liked the themes and beat everything except the optional super boss. Turning off encounters made the later chapters a breeze. Also, ImpAtom pointed out something I never realized with the "Default 4 times then brave" thing. That is badass.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Rascyc posted:

I think that's kind of his point for your typical player. Don't just randomly pick Hard mode unless you want that sort of thing. I doubt they'll actually last 45-60 minutes and are probably more like 30 minutes but even that's going to be a big turn off for a lot of people. Just don't play Hard unless you are a gigantic Grandia combat nut.

It's best not to find these things out when it's not too late for your average player.

Their numbers are wildly off, there wasn't a boss in the game taking me more then ten minutes, tops. Based on that, Hard Mode will probably double that number at most. And hey, even if not, I played Star Ocean II where you got bosses with 1+ million HP, while still being chained to a damage cap of 9999. I can take it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Libluini posted:

And hey, even if not, I played Star Ocean II where you got bosses with 1+ million HP, while still being chained to a damage cap of 9999. I can take it.

Hell, there's a regular encounter with 250,000 HP. Though to SO2's credit, you did damage a lot faster in that game. 50,000/sec wasn't unreasonable.

v enjoy the milf thing while it lasts because iirc when she's gone the game gets horrible

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 25, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I like Grandia 3, best RPG I've played in this marathon of late. It's campy, but not in a super obnoxious way like Fencer F, and

but this Milf thing is really going on too long, and I don't think there's a payoff

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Tae posted:

I like Grandia 3, best RPG I've played in this marathon of late. It's campy, but not in a super obnoxious way like Fencer F, and

but this Milf thing is really going on too long, and I don't think there's a payoff

the payoff is that she leaves the party and nobody interesting replaces her

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

corn in the bible posted:

the payoff is that she leaves the party and nobody interesting replaces her

It's about the time I stopped playing G3 and haven't even tried another playthrough since.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

What the heck the first big twist of wild arms 3 is the desert world has only existed for 10 years and the party is shocked but half of the party is like over the age of 30????

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

What the heck the first big twist of wild arms 3 is the desert world has only existed for 10 years and the party is shocked but half of the party is like over the age of 30????

That's part of the twist. Their memories are inaccurate.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

That's part of the twist. Their memories are inaccurate.
Ahhhhh

JRPG plots are dumb as hell

I also got the two kids in my party in Infinite Undiscovery, so I have a party consisting of a limp noodle, a know it all, and two cast-offs from a stage play of annie

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

I also got the two kids in my party in Infinite Undiscovery, so I have a party consisting of a limp noodle, a know it all, and two cast-offs from a stage play of annie

The creepiest part is their dead doll eyes lolled back into their head while they dance off. Infinite Undiscovery: The Burning Path of the Uncanny Valley.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 26, 2015

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Other than that IU is a fun game so I can deal with it

I guess it's just Star Ocean that I can't enjoy from Tri-Ace

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Tri-Ace needs to borrow whatever they used at Sega because Resonance of Fate is still probably their best looking 3D game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

Tri-Ace needs to borrow whatever they used at Sega because Resonance of Fate is still probably their best looking 3D game.

Nah, that wasn't Sega. Resonance of Fate was done by the same team as Valkyrie Profile 2 which is by far one of the best-looking PS2 games and RoF has a lot in common with it, just from the next-gen.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Nah, that wasn't Sega. Resonance of Fate was done by the same team as Valkyrie Profile 2 which is by far one of the best-looking PS2 games and RoF has a lot in common with it, just from the next-gen.

Then I wish that team did all their character/world designs because Star Ocean and Undiscovery are poo poo by comparison. You ever played Star Ocean 3 at 1080p? Good christ those did not age well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

Then I wish that team did all their character/world designs because Star Ocean and Undiscovery are poo poo by comparison. You ever played Star Ocean 3 at 1080p? Good christ those did not age well.

Trust me, I wish that too. :smith:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ahhhhh

JRPG plots are dumb as hell
i dont think jrpgs invented that plot point

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

From what I played of Star Ocean 3 the combat and just generally everything about the game is poo poo too

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I kinda hope the massive sales of Valkyria Chronicles would mean Sega would want to port their rpgs, including Resonance Of Fate. Regardless of the game itself, its dub is probably the most natural sounding during the slice-of-life scenes than even a lot of american games.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

From what I played of Star Ocean 3 the combat and just generally everything about the game is poo poo too

"Let's balance our EXP curve based on the assumption that players have the 3x EXP boost!"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

"Let's balance our EXP curve based on the assumption that players have the 3x EXP boost!"

don't be stupid. they never talked about exp balance at all and you know it.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Tae posted:

I kinda hope the massive sales of Valkyria Chronicles would mean Sega would want to port their rpgs, including Resonance Of Fate. Regardless of the game itself, its dub is probably the most natural sounding during the slice-of-life scenes than even a lot of american games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqqpj8uZyWk

(But as a supporting point, because even this managed to sound not completely insane.)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Okay, (Grandia 2 spoilers) the eye of valmar boss just destroyed me. Twice. Eight targets, all attacking separately and VERY FAST, often canceling your actions and doing quite a bit of damage while they're at it. Now I know how it feels to be a Grandia boss. :psyduck:

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Okay, (Grandia 2 spoilers) the eye of valmar boss just destroyed me. Twice. Eight targets, all attacking separately and VERY FAST, often canceling your actions and doing quite a bit of damage while they're at it. Now I know how it feels to be a Grandia boss. :psyduck:

Never trust posters who call RPGs super easy. Those bosses gave me a fair bit of trouble, at least until I got my late-level abilities. I never had to grind, though.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Renoistic posted:

Never trust posters who call RPGs super easy. Those bosses gave me a fair bit of trouble, at least until I got my late-level abilities. I never had to grind, though.
I'm on hard mode, which probably affects it, since I definitely remember beating this boss as a kid, and I juuuust barely scraped through this time. So many actions! Oh my god! Everyone was at zero MP and SP and just spamming critical so it could only do the occasional move, thankfully I beat the other 6 targets before then.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Evoland 2 just came out and while it's more on the Action Adventure end of the spectrum I think it's worth grabbing so far. The first game had some cool ideas but ended very quickly and lacked any kind of depth. 2 has a pretty cool story with some fun characters and is a lot meatier so far. I beat 1 in about 2 and a half hours. 2 is looking like it'll land between 15 and 20.

No plot connection either if that's the kind of thing that'll stop you.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011
Grandia 2, outside of hard mode shenanigans, is pathetically easy if you pick up on the easy to understand mechanics of each character's first special moves can cancel enemy attacks if they're charging up something big, and realize that powering it up to max makes those instant so you can stunlock bosses easily if you want/need to. On top of that one of them is a line AoE, making it easy to cancel an entire group if things line up right. There's also the character that can shut down everything if she's in the party with one move once she learns it. The only thing in the game that should remotely kill you in a normal playthrough is the optional hard area near the end of the game where enemies can get off BA-BOOM and have a high chance of wiping your party if it goes off, and a surprise attack will probably end with game over becuase of that.

The franchise as a whole is pretty easy outside of 3, which is kind of ironic since it's the one with a mechanic that practically prevents you from wiping for like a minute.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zaggitz posted:

Evoland 2 just came out and while it's more on the Action Adventure end of the spectrum I think it's worth grabbing so far. The first game had some cool ideas but ended very quickly and lacked any kind of depth. 2 has a pretty cool story with some fun characters and is a lot meatier so far. I beat 1 in about 2 and a half hours. 2 is looking like it'll land between 15 and 20.

I got burned hard on Evoland, it was loving garbage. I won't get it, but please let me know if Evoland 2 is another overlong visit to a 1997 Geocities page about lol these jap games!!!1! or if they wised up and actually made a good game by stealing Beath of Flams wholesale.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

They Chrono Triggered it up by making the look/feel of certain eras of games be tied to the actual time periods you are visiting. There's actual writing and dialogue to it now as opposed to the most boring empty drivel of all time. The only time they go down into the straight jrpg trope hole is a direct homage to CT's battle system in one dungeon and I thought it worked really well. It honestly feels like its by an almost entirely different team. I guess those two dudes learned a lot in between a suped up game jam project and this actual game.

edit: for the record I didn't think 1 was garbage, but I was thoroughly unimpressed by it.

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Aug 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I like all the Grandia games but 2 is hard to go back to with how archaic some of the design his. It was made in 2000 (and for Dreamcast) so you don't have stuff like camera control mapped to right analog. There's also no zoom levels so dungeon crawling/town exploring feels a bit claustrophobic. That said I think it's great that Game Arts is porting stuff like it to Steam. If they fix the audio issue it'll be a solid purchase for anyone who likes the game.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Aug 26, 2015