Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

I just bought this as well.

So did I, fiancée is gonna love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

I just bought this as well.

Ditto, seemed like a good birthday present for my sister, thanks thread. Of course since I was on amazon for that I also bought a comb, a screwdriver and a K&N air intake filter for my car.

Edit: the comb is for my hair, the screwdriver is to leave in the boat for my wakeboard bindings, the air filter is for maximum horsepower boost and incredible mpgeees. Actually I had a K&N on my last car and just liked how infrequently I had to clean it.

davebo has a new favorite as of 20:58 on Aug 24, 2015

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

davebo posted:

Ditto, seemed like a good birthday present for my sister, thanks thread. Of course since I was on amazon for that I also bought a comb, a screwdriver and a K&N air intake filter for my car.

What's your car going to do with a comb?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

strangemusic posted:

If you can believe it, no. I was over at a friend's house for dinner and noticed their very nice set of vintage Marantz floorstanding speakers, complimenting their taste - which caused his wife to sarcastically note that barely a blip had been played on those very speakers for years. In light of this, the guy goes "hey, you'll pry these from my cold dead hands - but, I've got these headphones that came with the speakers and I've never used them, they're just taking up space too. Take them off my hands, one less thing to worry about."

:stare:

... Ok then.

she's going to kill her husband and come looking for you

App13
Dec 31, 2011

What are those headphones worth?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

App13 posted:

What are those headphones worth?

~$100 on eBay

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I bought a Nerf Slingfire and Hammershot. The first is to be modified for a costume and the second is because my nephew has one and it is the best Nerf pistol I've ever used. Fast, accurate and easier to load than the Maverick. My GF is already threatening to take them away because shooting stuff is so fun.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

PCOS Bill posted:

~$100 on eBay

That's not nearly as outrageous as I thought.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Inzombiac posted:

Hammershot.

In a bought of adulthood I trashed all my nerf guns.

That is the loving blade runner pistol. You bastard.

Third edit: seems I overreacted. Those are full custom props I linked before.

Still, it's close.

VendaGoat has a new favorite as of 06:01 on Aug 25, 2015

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

App13 posted:

That's not nearly as outrageous as I thought.

They're 'cheap' considering how rare they are, pairs don't pop up very often.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

88h88 posted:

They're 'cheap' considering how rare they are, pairs don't pop up very often.

but that would suggest it doesn't even sound as good as a modern pair of 100$ headphones since rarity would be a large component of that price

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

but that would suggest it doesn't even sound as good as a modern pair of 100$ headphones since rarity would be a large component of that price

You're forgetting that "audiophiles" are stupid, irrational people.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Bought some awesome SA cycling gear. Spent a good amount of money but I'm going to be look styling.

if you are interested
SA Mart Thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3576278

Digital Jedi has a new favorite as of 19:49 on Aug 25, 2015

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Digital Jedi posted:

Bought some awesome SA cycling gear. Spent a good amount of money but I'm going to be look styling.

if you are interested
SA Mart Thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3576278

Love the bearpope. Got mine in my bag for my post-work ride right now!

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Digital Jedi posted:

if you are interested

The pictures of goons wearing it in the OP are everything I ever wanted

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

RisqueBarber posted:

The pictures of goons wearing it in the OP are everything I ever wanted

same

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

This just in, Goons Regular People; Look Like It. More at 11.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
A silly cartoon on spandex is not something I see on anyone in my day to day. God forbid funny clothing on stretchy fabric relieve the tedium of my hellish existence

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

El_Elegante posted:

A silly cartoon on spandex is not something I see on anyone in my day to day. God forbid funny clothing on stretchy fabric relieve the tedium of my hellish existence

At least you're not subject to the hell that is Road Bikers everywhere, all the time. Like literally, on a 55 MPH two-lane wearing black spandex shirts and shorts at 9pm on a Wednesday with no lights, only reflectors.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

Depends on the headphones, depends on the 'sound' you prefer and yadda yadda yadda. To some these will be the holy grail, to others they'll sound like poo poo. But for free, they're nothing to be sniffed at even if he decides they're garbage.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

88h88 posted:

Depends on the headphones, depends on the 'sound' you prefer and yadda yadda yadda. To some these will be the holy grail, to others they'll sound like poo poo. But for free, they're nothing to be sniffed at even if he decides they're garbage.

They're not garbage, nor are they grail-level: they are, however, electrostatics - which are fairly rare birds, all things considered, especially given that a top-flight pair of STAX electrostatic headphones (and the amplifier you'd need to buy to give them enough juice) would run into the many thousands and thousands of dollars, maybe even tens of thousands, if purchased new. A conventional headphone or speaker uses a moving magnetic coil, where an electrostatic is more like a condenser microphone capsule.

They don't have the punch and detail of my "modern" headphone setup but they do sound really good for something that has been in a box for thirty or more years. Very clean and open. And boy do they take a lot of juice to power properly. Plus, they're just cool and weird and I already have a little collection of cool and weird audio equipment both for recording and listening, so this just adds to that.

strangemusic has a new favorite as of 21:41 on Aug 25, 2015

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

strangemusic posted:

They're not garbage, nor are they grail-level: they are, however, electrostatics - which are fairly rare birds, all things considered, especially given that a top-flight pair of STAX electrostatic headphones (and the amplifier you'd need to buy to give them enough juice) would run into the many thousands and thousands of dollars, maybe even tens of thousands, if purchased new. A conventional headphone or speaker uses a moving magnetic coil, where an electrostatic is more like a condenser microphone capsule.

They don't have the punch and detail of my "modern" headphone setup but they do sound really good for something that has been in a box for thirty or more years. Very clean and open. And boy do they take a lot of juice to power properly. Plus, they're just cool and weird and I already have a little collection of cool and weird audio equipment both for recording and listening, so this just adds to that.

...and that's kinda what I was saying with my initial post, they're a rarity more than anything else. I'm glad you like them and they've gone to a home that'll actually appreciate them and run them on occasion, poo poo like that is priceless. No point in having the stuff if it doesn't get used.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Sigma X posted:

At least you're not subject to the hell that is Road Bikers everywhere, all the time. Like literally, on a 55 MPH two-lane wearing black spandex shirts and shorts at 9pm on a Wednesday with no lights, only reflectors.

How about a stretch of unlit road where bicyclists in the middle of the night ride with no reflectors, no lights, in all grays and blacks, and weave all over the road at random, across all available lanes. Because that's my daily hell.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Sigma X posted:

This just in, Goons Regular People; Look Like It. More at 11.

If that was your take away from those pictures, just lol.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

FormatAmerica posted:

If that was your take away from those pictures, just lol.

What was your take away?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Goons have terrible fashion sense? Goons are really weird?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Bought myself a Penny board. Looks like fun, less expensive than one of those no-handlebar scooters, and annoys people who are really into skateboarding.

Coffee And Pie has a new favorite as of 20:16 on Aug 28, 2015

Phlegmbot
Jun 4, 2006

"a phlegmatic...and certainly undemonstrative [robot]"
Acquired my first ever rain jacket. Mountain Hardware Ozonic. Pretty pricey but managed $100 off through online price matching.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Phlegmbot posted:

Acquired my first ever rain jacket. Mountain Hardware Ozonic. Pretty pricey but managed $100 off through online price matching.

The pit zips are going to be super useful. Pretty lightweight too.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

RCarr posted:

Goons have terrible fashion sense? Goons are really weird?

That's more a commentary on cycling culture than goon culture actually. Garish is king.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Phlegmbot posted:

That's a nice coat but keep in mind no breathable fabric is a rain coat. If you ever find yourself in a seriously rainy place you'll learn the difference.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Coffee And Pie posted:

Bought myself a Penny board. Looks like fun, less expensive than one of those no-handlebar scooters, and annoys people who are really into skateboarding.

Cripes, boards like that were about all you could get when I was growing up in the midwest in the mid-70s. I had a green one. My brother and I ended up repurposing the trucks on ours for a box-car made of actual grapefruit boxes and 2x4s. I think it lasted a week before we crashed it into a tree when the steering locked up on a hill and it decided to become an off-road vehicle.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I have a yellow one in the garage somewhere

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

flosofl posted:

Cripes, boards like that were about all you could get when I was growing up in the midwest in the mid-70s. I had a green one. My brother and I ended up repurposing the trucks on ours for a box-car made of actual grapefruit boxes and 2x4s. I think it lasted a week before we crashed it into a tree when the steering locked up on a hill and it decided to become an off-road vehicle.

Yeah, I bought a little orange one with urethane wheels around... 1976? It was like this one.

When my brother was skating during college in the late 1980s I couldn't believe how tiny the wheels had become.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dick Trauma posted:

Yeah, I bought a little orange one with urethane wheels around... 1976? It was like this one.

YES! Exactly like that. But green. It was terrible and turned me off skateboarding that's for sure. Just like my gold and black Team Murray solid-loving-steel-frame BMX killed any interest in BMX bikes. All my other friends were rocking Mongooses with the foot pegs at the time

(pic not mine)

Don't be fooled by that hand brake. It had a coaster brake. And a chain guard.

Proteus Jones has a new favorite as of 04:57 on Aug 26, 2015

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Through a recent amazon deal ($25 when at my local store it's $50, pretty good deal if you ask me!).

I hope it's fun although I've heard it's a little unbalanced.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Slimy Hog posted:

Through a recent amazon deal ($25 when at my local store it's $50, pretty good deal if you ask me!).

It's pretty good. Depends on which case you do, some have been far more enjoyable than others in my experience.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Slimy Hog posted:

My group regularly plays it. Some scenarios are pretty straightforward, but mostly the heroes are straight hosed.

Still fun! Especially for twenty-five bucks.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

TraderStav posted:

That's more a commentary on cycling culture than goon culture actually. Garish is king.

You look stupid in your bib anyway, no reason not to go all-out on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Dick Trauma posted:

When my brother was skating during college in the late 1980s I couldn't believe how tiny the wheels had become.

HEY! What are you doing taking pictures in my garage? That's the exact one.

I've only ever used it for moving stuff around that I didn't want to carry for whatever reason. It made for a... not very good dolly, honestly.