Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Whats the best Common sense LP as of now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is there any way I can game things as the Emperor to make the "Improve Relations with Elector" mission more likely? Seems like the only decent way to get a good chunk of IA.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

Bold Robot posted:

Is there any way I can game things as the Emperor to make the "Improve Relations with Elector" mission more likely? Seems like the only decent way to get a good chunk of IA.
If you have relation with an elector somewhere in the range of 0 to 50 it should automatically pop up. Sometimes in the early game I need to complete the "Improve relation with Pope" mission first for it to start appearing though, not sure why since the game should be prioritizing the elector mission over the pope one. (This is 1.12)

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

If I use Enforce Religious Unity on a heretic prince, is there anything stopping him from switching back to being a heretic shortly after? Like some sort of hidden cooldown?

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Bold Robot posted:

If I use Enforce Religious Unity on a heretic prince, is there anything stopping him from switching back to being a heretic shortly after? Like some sort of hidden cooldown?

AI conversions to Protestant/Reformed basically stop altogether within a certain period of time following the Reformation event. If you force them back to Catholic, they won't reconvert. In my Austria game, none of the princes I enforced unity on ever reconverted, and Protestant/Reformed disappeared from Europe entirely near the end of the game.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

VDay posted:

There's no way to "resurrect" nations that don't exist any more once their cores expire, is there (apart from just making client states)? Was looking forward to chopping up France into little pieces but a bunch of other nations' cores that they start with disappeared right before I got a chance to invade.

Most of the tiny French states disappear but Normandy, Guyenne, Toulouse, Brittany, Burgundy, and Provence don't so you can use those to absorb the rest of France

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Prester John get. Ottomans chose a bad time to westernize.

I'm taking a look at Dracula's Revenge as Wallachia. I've had 5 bad starts. I can ally Poland each time, but Austria is too far away to ally. Sometimes I could ally Muscovy, but since they always rival Poland, Poland will kill the alliance. So it seems that Poland is my only buddy until I can get bigger. And I have to hope that their PU with Lithuania doesn't dissolve. Other than the times the Ottomans have eaten me, Hungary has allied France and Austria in every game. Poland hates them, which is good, but I have never been able to find a time where either of Hungary's allies are too exhausted from war to decline joining on their side, if I declared war.

Is there a better way to expand? I was thinking of a no-cb against Serbia once they get into their inevitable war with Bosnia and vassalize them, and use Serbia's claims to vassalize Bosnia, but that's costly.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Can someone double-check this for me in case I'm missing something technical/obvious:

If I play as Ethiopia and go for the Prester John achievement, can I eventually move my capital to Constantinople and get the Trade Hegemon achievement as well after westernizing? Or does Trade Hegemon require you to start with a European capital and/or the Western tech group?

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

VDay posted:

Can someone double-check this for me in case I'm missing something technical/obvious:

If I play as Ethiopia and go for the Prester John achievement, can I eventually move my capital to Constantinople and get the Trade Hegemon achievement as well after westernizing? Or does Trade Hegemon require you to start with a European capital and/or the Western tech group?

Looks like you don't have to start with a capital in europe but you can't change your capital from continent to continent, even if you have a land connection. Your only hope would be to somehow lose every province you own that's not in Europe, forcing your capital there.

I suppose you could do it by making every possible non-europe province a client state, then declaring on some minor country and handing them your capital in the peace deal.

Morzhovyye fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Aug 25, 2015

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Odobenidae posted:

You can't change your capital from continent to continent, even if you have a land connection. Your only hope would be to somehow lose every province you own that's not in Europe, forcing your capital there.

I suppose you could do it by making every possible non-europe province a client state, then declaring on some minor country and handing them your capital in the peace deal.
Could he:
Move his capital to another culture's land (that has cores)
Hand his Ethiopian land to a Client State
Create other client states and vassals in his non-European land (where he moved his capital to last)
thus causing his capital to get booted to Europe?

:v:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Oh right, forgot about the no continent hopping rule. I'll probably just end up loading up my Netherlands save then for the Trade Hegemon achievement since I already have a sizable presence in India on that one and I'm planning on colonizing pretty heavily for my Prester John run so getting rid of non-European provinces would be a pretty big pain in the rear end.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Epinephrine posted:

If you have relation with an elector somewhere in the range of 0 to 50 it should automatically pop up. Sometimes in the early game I need to complete the "Improve relation with Pope" mission first for it to start appearing though, not sure why since the game should be prioritizing the elector mission over the pope one. (This is 1.12)

I've got a few electors in the 0-50 range and the mission isn't showing up. I've actually only got two available missions right now. :shrug:

also:

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

AI conversions to Protestant/Reformed basically stop altogether within a certain period of time following the Reformation event. If you force them back to Catholic, they won't reconvert. In my Austria game, none of the princes I enforced unity on ever reconverted, and Protestant/Reformed disappeared from Europe entirely near the end of the game.

It's like 1635 and these fuckers keep converting back. :bahgawd:

Bold Robot fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Aug 26, 2015

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.
Could someone explain to me like I am 5 the differences between Trade Power and Local Trade Power? I read a couple threads on other forums regarding the subject but it is going over my head.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Thunder Moose posted:

Could someone explain to me like I am 5 the differences between Trade Power and Local Trade Power? I read a couple threads on other forums regarding the subject but it is going over my head.

The terms are usually interchangeable. Is there some context that's making it confusing?

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
A modifier to local trade power will affect only the node the object (province, fleet, merchant, etc.) receiving the modifier is in, while a modifier to global trade power affects all trade nodes that you have power in.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Was your last mission the improve relations one? If so, pick a mission and cancel it. If not, is your next reform Revoking the Privilegia? The requirements are you're the emperor, relations are 0-50, and HRE reform level is not 6, so you don't get it after Proclaim Erbkaisertum.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Bold Robot posted:

I've got a few electors in the 0-50 range and the mission isn't showing up. I've actually only got two available missions right now. :shrug:

Was it the last mission you completed? Can't get the same one back to back. If so, take another and immediately cancel it.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Yep, that was it. Thanks dudes. Vassal swarm here I come. :thumbsup:

Moquel
Apr 19, 2001

It's magic, baby!

Odobenidae posted:

Looks like you don't have to start with a capital in europe but you can't change your capital from continent to continent, even if you have a land connection. Your only hope would be to somehow lose every province you own that's not in Europe, forcing your capital there.

He would just have to get rid of the ones on his starting continent, minus one. You can move your capital overseas if your capital is the only province you have left on that continent.

Create a client state for all African holdings (minus the capital), at which point you can move your capital to wherever you please (except into the HRE, which has it's own special rules).

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Moquel posted:

He would just have to get rid of the ones on his starting continent, minus one. You can move your capital overseas if your capital is the only province you have left on that continent.

Create a client state for all African holdings (minus the capital), at which point you can move your capital to wherever you please (except into the HRE, which has it's own special rules).

Ok that's totally doable then, thanks.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Can someone explain Trade to me in very simple words? From what I understand, my merchants should be placed "upwind" of the trade node where I have the biggest share of the market, with one to collect there, but it's more gut feeling than anything else.

For example, playing as Spain, should I put a merchant on Seville and another on Ivory coast to direct trade back home? Or should the second one go somewhere where there is real money being made, even if he gets only a small share of it?

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

Can someone explain Trade to me in very simple words? From what I understand, my merchants should be placed "upwind" of the trade node where I have the biggest share of the market, with one to collect there, but it's more gut feeling than anything else.

For example, playing as Spain, should I put a merchant on Seville and another on Ivory coast to direct trade back home? Or should the second one go somewhere where there is real money being made, even if he gets only a small share of it?

You want to steer as much as you can into a node you're the dominant power in, and preferably make that your trade capital. You take a pretty hefty power penalty to collecting somewhere that isn't your home node, but if you have enough power or you don't need to steer anything anywhere else it can be worth it.

A merchant collecting in your home node adds +10% to the income you automatically collect there, so if you're dead set on collecting you'd probably be better off doing it elsewhere.

Basically, look at the connections between nodes, dominate as many nodes that you can steer to your home node as you can and steer them all into your home node. If there's only one exit point or someone's already steering things your way you might not have to worry about it. If all else fails, just put merchants in places and see what happens to your income.

e: The penalty for non-home node collection is steep enough that you really only want to do it in cases where there's a lot of money in a node you can't otherwise reach and there's no way for you to steer that money home, or you'd have to steer it so far that anything you got would be a tiny fraction of the total.

Gitro fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Aug 26, 2015

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Mid term as Spain you want to conquer southern France and the Genoa node and collect there, if you kept Portugal as a vassal they will help you steer trade to the Seville node.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

VDay posted:

No, it's complicated, to jump continent you have to make it so no two provinces in Africa are adjacent to one another.
But you could culture flip to Egyptian early and get Arabian coffee achievement just by hitting decision to form Arabia after Prester John

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Aug 26, 2015

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Thanqol posted:

How I did it in my recent Spain game was to immediately build a fort. You've got almost a perfect wall down the middle of Iberia between Aragon and Portugal so one extra fort finishes it and stops them reinforcing each other. Then fabricate on and DOW Portugal; you can annex them in two wars and the fighting's easy if you're taking both those nations one at a time.

Then just make all your rulers generals and pray for the Iberian Wedding I guess.

I just hate that you gotta sink so much diplo into getting Grenada back now. :(

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I just hate that you gotta sink so much diplo into getting Grenada back now. :(

You shouldn't need to. The Conquest CB lets you take every claim for free, so as long as you forge claims on all three provinces, you're good to go.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

PittTheElder posted:

You shouldn't need to. The Conquest CB lets you take every claim for free, so as long as you forge claims on all three provinces, you're good to go.

He's talking about vassalising and then integrating them, I think.

Otherwise he would be lamenting the admin points required.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Gort posted:

He's talking about vassalising and then integrating them, I think.

Otherwise he would be lamenting the admin points required.

Catch and release, then. This is kind of aggravating in general. Imperialism, for example, lets you take provinces without a diplo cost, but not vassalize - so you end up conquering everything and then releasing a vassal. It's kind of silly.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Well then you'd still need to pay Dip to reintegrate them, which I guess might be the complaint? But I don't know why you'd bother to vassalize Grenada.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

If your African/Asian capital isn't close enough to lower autonomy below 75%, Granada could potentially make better use of the land than you. Plus they're a Muslim nation that takes Exploration ideas, so that could be kind of a fun sideshow.

Incidentally the patch notes talk about a bug with vassal force limit contributions - anyone know more about that?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

Well then you'd still need to pay Dip to reintegrate them, which I guess might be the complaint? But I don't know why you'd bother to vassalize Grenada.

Prop Wash posted:

If your African/Asian capital isn't close enough to lower autonomy below 75%, Granada could potentially make better use of the land than you. Plus they're a Muslim nation that takes Exploration ideas, so that could be kind of a fun sideshow.

Incidentally the patch notes talk about a bug with vassal force limit contributions - anyone know more about that?

Well they wouldn't eat *that* many diplo points, and there's the awesome WIH even that often gives you Isabella instead of King poo poo or Prince Shittier. I would assume the idea is to make them a March and get them colonizing, then with Portugal you've got two same-culturegroup colonial vassals.

Re: vassal force limits, I thought it was bugged or terrible or something because as I recall it was just giving a flat +2 forcelimits per vassal. I think it's supposed to scale with vassal size.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Pellisworth posted:

Re: vassal force limits, I thought it was bugged or terrible or something because as I recall it was just giving a flat +2 forcelimits per vassal. I think it's supposed to scale with vassal size.

They always contribute +1 to my force limit per vassal, no matter their size. It doesn't change with Marcher Lords, or any other policy/idea that increases vassal's force limit contribution. That's a nice fix.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Node posted:

They always contribute +1 to my force limit per vassal, no matter their size. It doesn't change with Marcher Lords, or any other policy/idea that increases vassal's force limit contribution. That's a nice fix.

Ok I was just misremembering the value wrongly then, I just knew it had been a low flat value when it should scale. Yeah it will be a pretty nice change along with the AE stuff.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Pellisworth posted:

Well they wouldn't eat *that* many diplo points, and there's the awesome WIH even that often gives you Isabella instead of King poo poo or Prince Shittier. I would assume the idea is to make them a March and get them colonizing, then with Portugal you've got two same-culturegroup colonial vassals.

I'm now in love with the idea of conquering Grenada, converting their lands, then releasing them as a vassal, making them a March, then feeding them North Africa.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
isn't there a decision that converts their lands for you? I know it was in there at some point, but it has been ages since I played a Castile game.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Bort Bortles posted:

I'm now in love with the idea of conquering Grenada, converting their lands, then releasing them as a vassal, making them a March, then feeding them North Africa.

You can do this with Portugal too, making them a March ASAP is Spain opening pro-strat. Fabricate claims on Portugal, release Galicia, feed Portuguese claims to Galicia until they're small enough to vassalize then take their cores back from Galicia. Almost no point cost!

Then feed North Africa to Portugal and Grenada, and they'll throw up colonies for you too. Just keep in mind Grenada is Muslim tech so they will fall behind in Admin tech if you feed them too much.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

MrBling posted:

isn't there a decision that converts their lands for you? I know it was in there at some point, but it has been ages since I played a Castile game.

There's an event that can trigger that forces conversion on muslim provinces at the cost of hefty penalties to local manpower and tax.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Bort Bortles posted:

Is this useful? Won't they still only be able to fully exploit really nearby stuff due to the overseas penalty?

It might be better to take over one of the Berber states and feed them Africa instead, though it'll be expensive initially.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
Yeah Granada can't do anything with garbage African land. They're also in the Spanish culture group. Just wait for Tlemcen or somebody to lose a war and then vassalize them. You should take all of Portugal and Granada for yourself since you get as a cultural union when you form Spain and Portugal's trade provinces are too much to give up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I would hang onto Portugal as they're your super contented little Brotugal who will never rebel as a March and will happily colonize for you. Mine stuck strictly to Africa and SE Asia while I monopolized the New World, I integrated them in the late 1600s when most of the colonization is over.

• Locked thread