Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

Radbot posted:

I like mine a lot, 100% made in Italy is kinda nice too (trying to buy as little from China as possible).

Ended up going with an AGV Numo EVO. But hey it's Italian!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
My mom was at an auction today and saw a 2002 Triumph Daytona 955i with 500 miles on it sell for 3k. I am curious, does anyone know what those normally go for? It looked like it was in pretty good condition.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

My mom was at an auction today and saw a 2002 Triumph Daytona 955i with 500 miles on it sell for 3k. I am curious, does anyone know what those normally go for? It looked like it was in pretty good condition.

I can't speak for your prices but they're typically not worth much here because they're ugly, heavy and nowhere near as fast as contemporary japanese bikes.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Slavvy posted:

I can't speak for your prices but they're typically not worth much here because they're ugly, heavy and nowhere near as fast as contemporary japanese bikes.

So a lot like current Triumphs? :supaburn:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Current triumphs are massively over-priced compared to their japanese counterparts. Like to a ducati/harley degree.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Compared to a modern liter bike yeah they're slow but for 2002 they got pretty crazy torque. Kinda fun.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Compared to a modern liter bike yeah they're slow but for 2002 they got pretty crazy torque. Kinda fun.

I agree, I have a 01 sprint 955 rs and love it.

DerVerrater
Feb 19, 2013
WHATEVER HAPPENED ON DISCORD, I WAS NOT INVOLVED
Has anyone ever had a speedo cable break like this before?, I just installed it rose around for a couple of hours and whilst it was reading high nothing seemed wrong then it just stopped working.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
What is the secret to being able to listen to audiobooks at anything over 50mph. I have a C3 pro, a sena 10u, and an audiobook with the volume output doubled in itunes, so at this point I'm assuming that either it's impossible or the stock windscreen on my bike is just that bad.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

tirinal posted:

What is the secret to being able to listen to audiobooks at anything over 50mph. I have a C3 pro, a sena 10u, and an audiobook with the volume output doubled in itunes, so at this point I'm assuming that either it's impossible or the stock windscreen on my bike is just that bad.

Are you wearing earplugs? Sounds ridiculous but that will actually make the audio a lot clearer.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

DerVerrater posted:

Has anyone ever had a speedo cable break like this before?, I just installed it rose around for a couple of hours and whilst it was reading high nothing seemed wrong then it just stopped working.

yeah I've seen it happen before.
did you kink it?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

$690 + tax for a FCR 39 jetted with the kit/everything needed for a '13 DRZ from sudco in LA. Is that fair? Seems a bit high.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Seems a bit high but do they need to maintain some sort of California bullshit compliance on those? If they do, maybe that's about right.

Otherwise: http://www.keihin-fcr.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=55

Can I put one of these on my DT?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I don't think so. I mean the FCR alone is $500 ish? I'm pretty mechanically inept so I'm not sure what a the "kit" consists of besides some adapters. And pre-jetted I guess but don't you always jet the carb on the bike again anyways?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

And pre-jetted I guess but don't you always jet the carb on the bike again anyways?

On a road bike you probably won't touch the jetting much at all once you get it set, you'll just deal with poor performance at the tops of passes as you run rich against the thin air. If you travel for MX racing you'll be jetting for max power at the track's elevation.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

tirinal posted:

Earbuds rather than the garbage speakers.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

$690 + tax for a FCR 39 jetted with the kit/everything needed for a '13 DRZ from sudco in LA. Is that fair? Seems a bit high.

Expensive but in line for a complete, new setup. Worth it not to have to gently caress with the jetting.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Z3n posted:

Expensive but in line for a complete, new setup. Worth it not to have to gently caress with the jetting.

Also that 'kit' might refer to a JD jetting kit or something. Those are around $70 and are basically a bag of jets of assorted sizes. Useful if you do things like widen the intake, or put a non-stock exhaust on the bike.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Good lord that's expensive. I thought whole racks of 4 performance carbs from Sudco went for that kind of money. Sudco has good stuff though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Good lord that's expensive. I thought whole racks of 4 performance carbs from Sudco went for that kind of money. Sudco has good stuff though.

Usually a full bank of Sudcos is around 1400 bucks. But yeah, they're expensive.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

For bolt and go? Its up to you.

Are you ok with saving a few hundred and possibly waiting a few weeks while you wait for a part, or have to fiddle with bullshit on the side of the freeway when you realized you set the float height wrong, or the needle is too deep?

FWIW, I'm $460 or so into my sudco fcr setup. intake boot + throttle cables + air box boot + carb + rebuild kit/jets.

It took me 3 weeks to get it to where I could actually ride the fucker, and used a cv40 carb while I waited on parts.

This is also like the same question, do I take my poo poo to a tire shop, or do it myself?

buy a tire machine and a lot of scotch

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

So yesterday my engine (2007 kawa vulcan 500) just kind of... stopped working on the highway. It felt sort of similar to running out of gas - it stopped responding to the throttle, I started slowing down, and eventually both oil lights came on to indicate the engine was off, even while i was still slowing to a stop. But I had gassed up 5 miles prior and my gas level was obviously fine.

It wouldn't start back up at first (battery turned it over fine but it wouldn't take), then I waited a few minutes, moved the petcock to prime and then reserve, and I pulled the choke halfway out, and it started. Not sure if those things actually helped, or if it was just time. But after starting successfully, i moved the petcock down to the regular on position, un-choked, and rode another 90 miles to my destination without incident :shrug:

Like i said I'm not sure if the petcock or choke thing fixed it or if it just needed a little time. Like, was it maybe overheated? I don't know, is that what shutdown due to overheating feels like? But if it were that, wouldn't the oil temperature light go off?

Oil and coolant levels are normal. It was hot outside but not crazy hot; I've ridden in hotter. Not that this is a very scientific way to tell but i held my hand close to the engine and the transmission while stopped, and it didn't feel crazy hot compared to the usual. I wasn't doing anything particularly strenuous to it either, whereas 50 miles later i went up a mountain at 65-70 mph with no trouble.

This has happened once before, on day 2 of a 3 day long trip (again, I was definitely not out of gas), but I've ridden hundreds of miles since then without issue.

Any ideas what might be happening?

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Are you wearing earplugs? Sounds ridiculous but that will actually make the audio a lot clearer.

Yeah. Tried both the disposable foam ones and reusable ones for musicians. No dice. If anything, it mutes the audio more than the wind noise (relatively).

quote:

How would this even work. There's no way to specify audio output by app in ios that I'm aware of (ie, having a paired phone output Google Maps navigation info through the helmet but ibooks playback through earbuds). Any alternative seems to involve losing the intercom controls or adding another device.

I have to ride Colorado->Illinois soon and the monotony will probably kill me.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

tirinal posted:

Yeah. Tried both the disposable foam ones and reusable ones for musicians. No dice. If anything, it mutes the audio more than the wind noise (relatively).

How would this even work. There's no way to specify audio output by app in ios that I'm aware of (ie, having a paired phone output Google Maps navigation info through the helmet but ibooks playback through earbuds). Any alternative seems to involve losing the intercom controls or adding another device.

I have to ride Colorado->Illinois soon and the monotony will probably kill me.

Pretty sure Sena sells connectors so you can replace their speakers with your own. Also make sure the speakers are actually sitting over your ears, you might be surprised just how much further down and forwards they actually need to be..

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

tirinal posted:

How would this even work.

Set the volume in iOS to 60-70% and stop
caring? That's what I do when listening to music on my old iPhone on my bike.

Granted I don't give even half a poo poo about turn by turn navigation (as an old fart who learned to drive long before GPS was available for civilians I've found having a map and looking at it to plot a route to the first stop, then repeating at each stop vs. a phone telling me to take the wrong turn onto interstate repeatedly rather than an empty country back road just because the former is half a mile shorter to be soothing vs. infuriating.

YMMV

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I use noise-cancelling earbuds with my Sena and I will never go back to earplugs. You can still hear things, just not as much, and the music/voices come through loud and clear.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
How the hell do you keep them in your ears if your helmet fits properly? Every kind I've tried wiggle right out as soon as I turn my head an inch.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Get the triple flange ones. Once they're in they won't come out by themselves. (On that note, make sure they fit securely onto the drivers; my last pair weren't quite tight enough and would sometimes pop off mid-ride and I'd have to stop to fish a bit of silicone out of my ear :pwn:)

I gather there are earbud tips available made of the same expanding foam as earplugs, but I can't vouch for them, not having tried them.

e/ they're not perfect by any stretch, but when I get them in right so they're not pushing on the sides of my ear canal and they're both sealed to the same degree, they're pretty much perfect.

Oh, but if you talk or move your jaw too much, they probably will wiggle out. :shrug:

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Aug 25, 2015

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I don't know, it seems like they just stay in there. I have a modular helmet, so that might help. I also use a helmet liner that's slick, so it probably helps keep them from getting caught. I've never had them come out when putting on my helmet, and from what I can tell I'm an anomaly that way. I use the right-angle versions (nothing sticks out from my ears), and they're the Bose ones with the little "shark fin" thing that's supposed to keep them in place. I think it helps to give them a bit of slack, so when I put the helmet on I kind of hang the slack/cables in front of my face, then let them drop out the bottom of the helmet and into my jacket.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Lynza posted:

I don't know, it seems like they just stay in there. I have a modular helmet, so that might help. I also use a helmet liner that's slick

Wait what

Do you mean like, the foam padding has a slick covering instead of mesh, or you put some kind of hood like thing in it?

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I have a plain full face helmet and I just put my iPhone earbuds in a little extra snug and then pull outward on the ends of the chinstrap as I put the helmet on to widen it a little. The earbuds stay in fine that way.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
It's a thing I wear on my head - made of some kind of spandex, and it's like a skullcap. Keeps my hair from getting all shitted up in the helmet, with the added bonus of keeping my helmet's actual liner clean.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

alnilam posted:

Any ideas what might be happening?

Probably starving for gas for some reason. Could be that it doesn't get enough vacuum to the petcock when cruising on the highway which causes it to gradually starve or that the tank vent is not letting air in so a vacuum is keeping it from starting. Next time it happens, imemdiately try opening the tank cover. If there is a bigger psscht! than usual, you might have found the problem.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

RadioPassive posted:

I have a plain full face helmet and I just put my iPhone earbuds in a little extra snug and then pull outward on the ends of the chinstrap as I put the helmet on to widen it a little. The earbuds stay in fine that way.

Same, but I use my thumbs to hold the earbuds in while I pull outward on the chinstrap. Works like a champ.

I had some more expensive earbuds but now I just use Skullcandy Ink'd ones. $11 off Amazon, comes with a 1-click button appropriate for android phones so I can pause/skip tracks/etc. Also they have a flat cord instead of a round one which cuts wayyyy down on tangling. If they had a 90-degree headphone jack they really couldn't be more perfect for what I use them for honestly. I use some different silicone earpieces than what came with them but you can order all kinds of strange shaped ones off ebay or whatever.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Renaissance Robot posted:

Wait what

Do you mean like, the foam padding has a slick covering instead of mesh, or you put some kind of hood like thing in it?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00WV15RCM/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?qid=1440529455&sr=1-6&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Get Etymotics and never worry again.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein

Ha! That's exactly the one I have. In fashionable gray and another in lime green.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Having an electric problem with my 01 nighthawk 250. With the key in, the headlights turn on but the start button does nothing except cut the headlight out. No sounds, no clicks or anything. I charged the battery which seemed to help for a week, but now it's back. Today I got it started after tightening the screws on the battery terminal, but they weren't loose at all. Any thoughts??

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
sidestand switch, clutch switch, neutral safety switch. Test these.

also lol kill switch.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
My coworker bought a sena 10c and gave me her knockoff GoPro. All I really do is commute. The hell do I do with this thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Pope Mobile posted:

My coworker bought a sena 10c and gave me her knockoff GoPro. All I really do is commute. The hell do I do with this thing?

Record your commute?