Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

swampland posted:

It always amazes me that people like that even take biology at a higher level, like if you don't even believe the most basic fundamental parts of it what's the draw to drop huge amounts of money studying it?

Dr. Ben Carson doesn't believe in evolution. How the hell did he become a world renowned neurosurgeon believing that evolution isn't real?

I have a real question, not a rhetorical one like above. What is RawStory? I don't think I've ever seen it and then, yesterday and today, I've been directed to it a half dozen times for stories. What kind of news site is it, on the political spectrum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Probably because Ben Carson went to school to learn something and attended in an era when Christians weren't projection golems who are afraid their own shadows were agents of satan.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

radical meme posted:

Dr. Ben Carson doesn't believe in evolution. How the hell did he become a world renowned neurosurgeon believing that evolution isn't real?

I have a real question, not a rhetorical one like above. What is RawStory? I don't think I've ever seen it and then, yesterday and today, I've been directed to it a half dozen times for stories. What kind of news site is it, on the political spectrum?

Leftist in the American sense, and they're been around for about a decade I think. They mainly cover GOP political scandals from a Dem perspective, so they come and go in prominence depending on how hard the GOP is currently imploding.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Leftist in the American sense, and they're been around for about a decade I think. They mainly cover GOP political scandals from a Dem perspective, so they come and go in prominence depending on how hard the GOP is currently imploding.

Current implostion status: :supaburn: Going supernova baby! :supaburn:

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

radical meme posted:

I'd bet that "not believing in evolution" is just something he says because that's what the base wants. If not, though, compartmentalization is real. Newt Gingrich is a renowned historian yet doesn't seem to apply any historical lessons to his politics. Or they use the claim of expertise to push an agenda, regardless of whether it meshes with what they know, and hope the voters don't think too hard but defer to their experience.

swampland posted:

It always amazes me that people like that even take biology at a higher level, like if you don't even believe the most basic fundamental parts of it what's the draw to drop huge amounts of money studying it?

A lot of them probably think they're going to debate the liberal atheist professor and show him up in front of the whole class, and then lead an altar call right at the front of the room. See also: A Matter of Faith

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Jurgan posted:

A lot of them probably think they're going to debate the liberal atheist professor and show him up in front of the whole class, and then lead an altar call right at the front of the room. See also: A Matter of Faith

I just smashed straight into Poe's law right?

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

radical meme posted:

Medical doctors and surgeons aren't scientists.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Jurgan posted:

What, one religious box office bomb wasn't enough?

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

CommieGIR posted:

What, one religious box office bomb wasn't enough?

Surprise! 'God's Not Dead 2' comes out next year, "starring" former witch Melissa Joan Hart

e: also, far from bombing, GND make more than 30x its budget

sexy fucking muskrat fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 26, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mr Jaunts posted:

Surprise! 'God's Not Dead 2' comes out next year, "starring" former witch Melissa Joan Hart

e: also, far from bombing, GND make more than 30x its budget

I meant ratings wise.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

radical meme posted:

This guy is a creationist, tenured biochemistry professor at a legitimate university.
Granted he doesn't say the world is 6000 years old like Ben Carson apparently does.

CommieGIR posted:

I meant ratings wise.

Ratings don't matter, they're a tool of the liberal media. I wouldn't be surprised if those movies make more money the worse reviewed they are.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 26, 2015

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Jurgan posted:

comments are disabled :negative:

CommieGIR posted:

I meant ratings wise.

Like they care about ratings/critics. They have to get the word out no matter what.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

James Garfield posted:

This guy is a creationist, tenured biochemistry professor at a legitimate university.

The University also has a huge disclaimer about him.

http://www.lehigh.edu/bio/news/evolution.htm

quote:

The faculty in the Department of Biological Sciences is committed to the highest standards of scientific integrity and academic function. This commitment carries with it unwavering support for academic freedom and the free exchange of ideas. It also demands the utmost respect for the scientific method, integrity in the conduct of research, and recognition that the validity of any scientific model comes only as a result of rational hypothesis testing, sound experimentation, and findings that can be replicated by others.

The department faculty, then, are unequivocal in their support of evolutionary theory, which has its roots in the seminal work of Charles Darwin and has been supported by findings accumulated over 140 years. The sole dissenter from this position, Prof. Michael Behe, is a well-known proponent of "intelligent design." While we respect Prof. Behe's right to express his views, they are his alone and are in no way endorsed by the department. It is our collective position that intelligent design has no basis in science, has not been tested experimentally, and should not be regarded as scientific.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx
e: ^^^ drat, can't get much clearer than that

CommieGIR posted:

I meant ratings wise.

Well, yeah, but ratings don't matter to this audience. The quality of the media doesn't matter, so long as it reinforces the Evangelicals' existing beliefs, there's cash to be made.

Besides, Christian movies tend to be a safer investment than libertarian ones :v:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

CommieGIR posted:

Why won't liberals stop oppressing him for his beliefs. :qq:

Mr Jaunts posted:

Well, yeah, but ratings don't matter to this audience. The quality of the media doesn't matter, so long as it reinforces the Evangelicals' existing beliefs, there's cash to be made.

Besides, Christian movies tend to be a safer investment than libertarian ones :v:

And it's not hard to find believers willing to work on the film for a fraction of normal rates.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Mr Jaunts posted:

I dunno Mad Max was great and made a boatload of cash

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

CommieGIR posted:

Doesn't get much more "This fucker's not with us...but he's got tenure."

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Epic High Five posted:

I dunno Mad Max was great and made a boatload of cash
I realize this is at least partially in jest, but the last act starts when the protagonists decide that running off to start Galt's Gulch is a terrible idea that will kill them all and decide to return to fix their broken society. The post-apocalyptic genre isn't libertarian by default.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Knight posted:

I realize this is at least partially in jest, but the last act starts when the protagonists decide that running off to start Galt's Gulch is a terrible idea that will kill them all and decide to return to fix their broken society. The post-apocalyptic genre isn't libertarian by default.

The biggest middle finger towards libertarians and right-wing economic theories since They Live. :laugh:

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jurgan posted:

I'd bet that "not believing in evolution" is just something he says because that's what the base wants. If not, though, compartmentalization is real. Newt Gingrich is a renowned historian yet doesn't seem to apply any historical lessons to his politics. Or they use the claim of expertise to push an agenda, regardless of whether it meshes with what they know, and hope the voters don't think too hard but defer to their experience.

Which is why it's really funny to see them trying to smear Trump as insincere - they all say what the 'base' wants.

Trump has the dimension of celebrity, where people project feelings (aspirations/values) onto him. Obama following Bush felt like a huge coup for the left, but if you really look at the President's words is he is very shrewd justifying the centrist polices that get tortured through Congress. Really only in the past couple years started speaking in a more frank manner (for example speaking directly of oil industry shills). But he has never spoken strongly about how healthcare should be independent of your employer, maybe for fear of being a 'red rabblerouser'. This lack of a strong elevator pitch has been dogging the ACA ever since.

Trump needs to keep people feeling his personality is in their corner. If anything attacking this 'ideal boss' is more toxic to an orderly workplace and the economy than anything Obama wants.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
There's also creationist astronomers, chemists, geologists, etc. So it's not just a bio problem.

Compartmentalization is weird.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

PhazonLink posted:

There's also creationist astronomers, chemists, geologists, etc. So it's not just a bio problem.

Compartmentalization is weird.

Not that many, thankfully.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

There was an absolutely brilliant guy in my phd class, theoretical nuclear physics. More potential than any of us. He was home schooled and was a young earth creationist. Contradictions stare him in the face on a daily basis.

People dumb

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Gravel Gravy posted:

Is that man's face made of plastic?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYDfwUJzYQg

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

I took a 200 level class on evolution, which meant it was open to non-majors. There were a couple of girls in the class who were business majors or some such. They tried a few times to pull some creationist tropes (mostly the more feeble ones, I doubt they could have processed any of the more obtuse ones), and since the prof had specialized in evolution, she shot them down pretty easily. They stuck almost halfway through the semester, and in the last class they attended they tried a near-tearful "Well, you don't KNOW! You weren't there!" The prof just rolled her eyes. The bio majors felt embarrassed for them.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

swampland posted:

You sir have a Dissertation level question there :science:! I applaud the professors that can handle that stuff gracefully because as a grad student now I basically have a prepared speech to address this when it comes up before it taints other students understanding of the subject.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think I finally understand how people can believe in creationism in spite of evidence, because I just can't accept that that creationism movie is real no matter what I do. I'm convinced its just a skit from some Harry Anderson sketch comedy I never heard of on Court TV or Lifetime or Hallmark or Old People Channel or something.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

You don't actually need to believe in evolutionary theory to be a doctor, because surgical procedures, drug effects, drug interactions, diagnostic tools, etc that are used on a daily basis rely on experimental evidence and experience that aren't reasoned out from first principles. If you're the infectious disease researcher trying to find ways to stop HIV replication then yeah sure you're not going to be successful if you reject what we know of evolution and natural selection, but the guy cutting someone open or writing prescriptions doesn't need to believe it as long as he accepts the results the researchers publish.

Being a doctor is kind of like being an engineer in its relationship to the underlying science. If you're a radio or antenna engineer, even though on a physics level your systems ultimately depend on quantum field theory to work, when you're calculating antenna gain you can be all I Love The 1890's and believe light propagates through the luminiferous æther if you want to because all you need are Maxwell's equations.

Even transistors and stuff which could never have been invented without quantum theory still don't require understanding or belief in quantum physics on the part of the guy designing a radio with transistors as long as he's willing to use the macroscopic models of their behavior that are determined experimentally and published.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Aug 26, 2015

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

radical meme posted:

This is my favorite word that I've learned recently:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/fakki-idiootti

Fakki-idiootti; literally "box idiot." It's for when someone is overspecialized and doesn't know poo poo about anything outside their specialty.

MrUnderbridge posted:

They stuck almost halfway through the semester, and in the last class they attended they tried a near-tearful "Well, you don't KNOW! You weren't there!" The prof just rolled her eyes. The bio majors felt embarrassed for them.

There have got to be situations in business and finance where you can ask the same thing.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 26, 2015

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Acelerion posted:

There was an absolutely brilliant guy in my phd class, theoretical nuclear physics. More potential than any of us. He was home schooled and was a young earth creationist. Contradictions stare him in the face on a daily basis.

People dumb

I don't know man keeping the belief system that keeps your family and social groups at peace seems pretty brilliant.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Azuth0667 posted:

You sir have a Dissertation level question there :science:! I applaud the professors that can handle that stuff gracefully because as a grad student now I basically have a prepared speech to address this when it comes up before it taints other students understanding of the subject.
Mind sharing, or at least the bullet points?

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
I really think Ted Cruz is a very pretty.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

whaley posted:

No! He uggo! Not handsome or smart!!

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

whaley posted:

Are you a picasso fan by any chance?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I looked at the comments about the Ellen Paige/Ted Cruz confrontation, and conservatives are really, really smug about not knowing famousnobody actresses.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

whaley posted:

does he remind you of miles teller?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Epic High Five posted:

http://www.examiner.com/article/donald-trump-just-trolled-fellow-republicans-on-twitter-after-new-polls-released

Like a goddamned fiddle

He even went after Koch-backed Walker, saying he ran the economy of Wisconsin into the ground

Have those polls been unskewed?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Like with all WWE Hall of Famers, eventually the fans want to get themselves over. Trump's real test will be then.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

VideoTapir posted:

There have got to be situations in business and finance where you can ask the same thing.

"Perhaps, professor, you've heard of the VON MISES institute? Please stop censoring my opinions on economic theory" :cry:

I've got my own IOSM/RWM thing going on between some friends on FB. The conflict started with my very neutral-acting friend posting some opinions about Donald Trump and why his "fight against PC" is a lost cause. I agreed with him, saying that Trump's constant ad hom attacks on people and punching-down was childish and dumb.

A friend of the thread originator hijacked the question and went through a loving BREATHLESS list of ways that PC is propagated in "Liberal Universities" and how it silences dissent.

Sure enough, the guy is a proto-MRA and :ancap: . Are these 2 things mutually inclusive or is the Venn Diagram just slightly less than circular?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Hazo posted:

Mind sharing, or at least the bullet points?

Sure:

-The syllabus is the guideline for this class and as such states that you are responsible for learning the concepts of evolution,
-While you may not believe in evolution you are required to to learn it per the syllabus and spreading misinformation related to this is a violation of the academic dishonesty policies set by the university,
-If you have questions about class content consult in this order, the syllabus, myself, and your professor,
-The bible is not considered primary scientific literature and you may speak to dr. Theology professor and your professor about it if you have questions about this,
-People that disrupt class activities related to this are being selected against.

It's more verbose than that but, the above is the skeleton of it. The worst thing is when I have multiple students who are confused about Lamarckian and Darwininian evolution, especially in the more advanced classes that cover epigenetics, only to have some loud mouth interrupt me every two seconds because :smug: "nuh uh the bible says X that text book is not better than the bible!"