Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I remember taking apart a BMW 318i (M42) and losing one of the external torx starter bolts. We found it two years later when we moved the MG out of the garage; the bolt had rolled behind the tire out of sight. Had to buy a replacement at BMW for $19 goddamn dollars for an M8 bolt.

I've been missing my 3/8" short 12-pt 10mm for awhile now, but I've gotten to the point that I'm either hitting poo poo with the 1/2" impact/breaker bar/ratchet/torque wrench or I'm hooking the 1/4" hardware up to my electric screwdriver. Power tools easily cut most work time in half, and when you can't bring your power tools to bear there's always ratcheting spanners :swoon:

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Aug 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Ratcheting box wrenches have changed my life

KingPave
Jul 18, 2007
eeee!~
All this lost socket talk has made me remember one of the old mechanics I used to take my car to.

This mechanic had a few of those of the retractable lanyards, that you use to stick your security card/ID/whatever on, with a little clip on the end. These were all then hooked on his belt. Any socket/screwdriver etc that he took near a car got clipped on to one of the lanyards before he went under the hood.

Made me wonder how many tools he lost before he came up with that idea.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Powershift posted:

Yeah, they really should just sell bags of 10mm sockets.

I think about that every time I see the empty spot in my socket rack. My old Sedona had three or four 10mm sockets hiding somewhere between the bumper and headlight. That gap was just wide enough that dropped sockets entered and never returned.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

My coworker told me a story about how he lost his wedding ring down an exhaust heat shield and got to listen to the sound of his failure on every commute for three years before, he assumed, it finally fell out.

Say honey, where's your wedding ring? The sign of our eternal commitment and love?

Oh, it's stuck under the car. But don't worry, it will eventually fall off and get blown into the gutter by an 18-wheeler

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Geirskogul posted:

Its a thing of beauty.

some texas redneck posted:

Every car I've ever owned has multiple 10mm sockets wind up wedged somewhere... somewhere. Even the Saturd, since it's (mostly) metric.

The current socket set I have has a lifetime lost socket replacement guarantee. Thankfully. I'm pretty sure I've cost Kobalt more than I paid for the complete tool set in replacement 10mm sockets.

That's when I pull out the earth metal magnets and a coat hanger.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Geirskogul posted:

Especially when the ratchet end also has a bit of flex to it like some gear-wrenches have. God I love those things. Those and flare nut wrenches for doing brakes.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BloodBag posted:

Especially when the ratchet end also has a bit of flex to it like some gear-wrenches have. God I love those things. Those and flare nut wrenches for doing brakes.

Offset box wrenches are awesome.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
My cars engine bay is such an arsehole to recover tools from that I now just stuff an old towel in there before I catch work to hold all the poo poo that I know I'll end up dropping. One day I'll forget to remove the catch towel and end up with some pictures for this thread.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

tater_salad posted:

Dude gently caress that..

I feel it.. found my socket it's... right... there I can touch it but the fucker keeps rolling back

5 min of fishing random hole in car with Allen wrenches and screwdrivers

Digs out socket

Horrrayyyy

Looks at socket.. 14mm? What? I lost a 13mm where did this come from?

Funny story about 14mm and 13mm sockets. My Husky impact socket set came with two 14mm sockets, one stamped 13mm. I only noticed months later when I tried to undo a 13mm nut and it was too loose. That was a very confusing Home Depot return counter experience...
me: so this 13mm socket is defective, it's actually a 14mm.
:downs:: it says 13mm.
me: yes I know. That is the problem. It fits a 14mm. There is already a 14mm in the set.
:downs:: but it says 13mm
me: look. I know. Go find a drat 13mm bolt head and put that on it, I dare you.

We went around like that several times before I managed to get through.

Also, there was a socket (can't remember if 13, 14, or 15, whatever XJ UCA bolts take) rattling around in the driver frame rail of one of my old jeeps until I cut it up and got it back. The bolt head is inside the frame rail and they're famous for knocking the socket off the extension when you pull back.

CommieGIR posted:

That's when I pull out the earth metal magnets and a coat hanger.
Now you have a rare earth magnet stuck to the inside of your bumper along with a socket. :haw:

Buy these. Seriously. You all need them. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Crescent-X2-10-in-Long-Reach-Pliers-PSX200C/204064450

They open further at the jaws than the handles did, so you can reach in through a tiny opening, grab the wall of a socket without the handles binding on things, then fish it back out. loving amazing.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

kastein posted:

Buy these. Seriously. You all need them. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Crescent-X2-10-in-Long-Reach-Pliers-PSX200C/204064450

They open further at the jaws than the handles did, so you can reach in through a tiny opening, grab the wall of a socket without the handles binding on things, then fish it back out. loving amazing.

These are the most amazing pliers ever for retrieving poo poo. Get the curved version too.

One of the nicest things about having so many of the "right" tools is that while you may use most of them nearly never, when you really need that special tool you really need it and it makes the job so easy.

Like remote hose clamp pliers. Gawd I love my remote hose clamp pliers :allears: (https://goo.gl/glqG9N)

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
WHAT IS THIS SORCERY?!?!?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

They're basically mandatory for doing any work on a Rover cooling system and not going completely insane in the process.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Those would have been useful for me lately. I was going to put in some better constant tension clamps but couldn't find them locally in the right size. Instead I got to sit there and fight with stock spring clamps in awkward positions with standard pliers and vice grips.

jamal fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 25, 2015

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Do none of you own a magnetic pickup tool with a 3 foot gooseneck? Whenever I used to drop things I just threw that in afterwards and waited for the satisfying click as it picked up whatever I dropped

When I recently pulled my heater system apart, I found 3 impact sockets in various vents. Thanks, PO!!

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I apparently fried a PCM on an 06 Saturn Ion by jump starting it without hooking it up backwards or blowing a single fuse, but we have had it all weekend and it was fine, battery died, jumped using the remote terminals and it was all over. Master tech just verified no fuses were blown or evidence of incorrectly jumping.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

14 INCH SLIT posted:

I apparently fried a PCM on an 06 Saturn Ion by jump starting it without hooking it up backwards or blowing a single fuse, but we have had it all weekend and it was fine, battery died, jumped using the remote terminals and it was all over. Master tech just verified no fuses were blown or evidence of incorrectly jumping.

Does the PCM sit close to the remote terminals? Its possible to fry them with a good spark, ask any duramax owner with a fried transmission controller. GM in thier infinite wisdom put a big metal heatsink for it right next to the positive jump start terminal.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Those magical needlenose pliers, remote hoseclamp tool, and locking adjustable wrench are proof that there is a god, that he loves us, and wants us to be happy.

Automotive OEMs are the counterproof.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No, that just means that satan is real too.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

kastein posted:

Funny story about 14mm and 13mm sockets. My Husky impact socket set came with two 14mm sockets, one stamped 13mm. I only noticed months later when I tried to undo a 13mm nut and it was too loose. That was a very confusing Home Depot return counter experience...
me: so this 13mm socket is defective, it's actually a 14mm.
:downs:: it says 13mm.
me: yes I know. That is the problem. It fits a 14mm. There is already a 14mm in the set.
:downs:: but it says 13mm
me: look. I know. Go find a drat 13mm bolt head and put that on it, I dare you.

We went around like that several times before I managed to get through.

Also, there was a socket (can't remember if 13, 14, or 15, whatever XJ UCA bolts take) rattling around in the driver frame rail of one of my old jeeps until I cut it up and got it back. The bolt head is inside the frame rail and they're famous for knocking the socket off the extension when you pull back.

Now you have a rare earth magnet stuck to the inside of your bumper along with a socket. :haw:

I had a set of 3/8" torx sockets that had 2 t50s, one labeled as t45, same interesting returns visit.

There was also for a brief period a rare earth magnet stuck next to my cat on my e46 that liked the heat shield more than the extendy stick it shipped with. Briefly.

I was also sold on the pliers when the tool van demoed them with a nut in the bottom of a twisted 2l pop bottle. Straight and curved are on my list.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

xzzy posted:

No, that just means that satan is real too.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
For the uninformed:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/OTC0/6688/N0717.oap?ck=Search_N0717_-1_-1&pt=N0717&ppt=C0374

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Hahaha holy gently caress. That blows VAG special tools right out of the goddamn water.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

8ender posted:

The flared nostrils and bugged out eyes as you hunt for shop towels after spilling a ton of oil filling your engine and it's slowly rolling down the rocker covers towards a hot manifold and will fill your car with oil stink for the next few days if it gets there.
The real solution here is to use Delo 400LE so if this happens it just smells like delicious toast.

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 25, 2015

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Fart Pipe posted:

Hahaha holy gently caress. That blows VAG special tools right out of the goddamn water.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/LIS0/65700.oap?ck=Search_65700_-1_-1&keyword=65700

Guess how many of these we've sold since we put it in stock 2 months ago? We have more specialty ford tools sitting on our shelves than any other manufacturer combined.

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004

So thats where queso comes from

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Holy poo poo its a landrover.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

cursedshitbox posted:

Holy poo poo its a landrover.

I loving KNEW there was a reason this picture was setting off my warning alarms (other than the obvious, of course).

I think I have ptsd from working on those goddamned trucks.

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured

whoa whoa whoa. PLEASE tell me this isn't something that needs doing often. Swear to god if that gutless 5-cylinder boat anchor costs me any more money. :argh:

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Found tool chat: I was messing with the radio in my truck, dropped something off in the passenger footwell. When I bent down to pick it up, I noticed something bright orange sticking out from behind one of the panels. Found an orange handled flathead screwdriver. It'd been there for 5 years at that point without ever being noticed. It's the only Snap-on tool I own! :v:

Elmnt80 posted:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/LIS0/65700.oap?ck=Search_65700_-1_-1&keyword=65700

Guess how many of these we've sold since we put it in stock 2 months ago? We have more specialty ford tools sitting on our shelves than any other manufacturer combined.

If these weren't $200, I'd get one just to have on hand.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

We have guys who buy them, use them on their own vehicles, then charge their buddies a rental fee to use it. Also, we've sold around 7-8 of them since we put them on the shelves, none to shops. :v:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Hail Satan

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

kastein posted:

Those magical needlenose pliers, remote hoseclamp tool, and locking adjustable wrench are proof that there is a god, that he loves us, and wants us to be happy.

Automotive OEMs are the counterproof.

:stare: I completely forgot about the locking adjustable wrench. I must get me one.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Well that explains everything.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Wait was it lost to fire or salt?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Geirskogul posted:

2002s are SALTY.
I'm surprised they had full coverage on it lolololol

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Geirskogul posted:

First one, then the other.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Elmnt80 posted:

I've done spark plugs on a ford 3v. That tool is worth every penny.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Do none of you own a magnetic pickup tool with a 3 foot gooseneck?

I've got a telescoping one, but pretty much all I can use it for is to grab the loving frame or block every 4 inches on the way towards the socket collection point.

Do I even want to know how this happened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Godholio posted:

Do I even want to know how this happened?

I do. I can't decide if it's somehow puking into its own intake or if someone literally spilled a milkshake in there.