Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

RatHat posted:

How exactly did he sabotage it? I don't remember that part about Peace Walker. Was it in a tape?

https://youtu.be/-NLlrFV5iOE?t=12m57s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

blackguy32 posted:

Yeah, Poops puts forth the notion that Snake Eater was planned from the very beginning. Peace Walker confirms it.

Also the body double seems pretty much confirmed considering that crazy advertisement poo poo that Kojima was pushing with that doctor and transferring heads or some poo poo.

That wasn't an ad, dude.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Flubby posted:

Nothing in those spoilers about why that shrapnel seems to be growing into a demon horn. More hallucinations, or maybe Venom Snake sees himself that way?

According to one of the early theories, it's actually a chunk of his malformed skull and not shrapnel, so it might still grow a bit as it tries to heal.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

That doesn't explain anything, or even say he sabotaged it.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

RatHat posted:

That doesn't explain anything, or even say he sabotaged it.

Hot Coldman spends most of his time making GBS threads on The Boss and her ideals, so it's pretty drat certain that he set her up to fall knowing full well what Volgin was like.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Pirate Jet posted:

That wasn't an ad, dude.
It goes to show how much Hideo captures people's imaginations, how somebody could think that was an MGS ad. Though it is fun that his face is used in MGS5, whether he endorsed it or not.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Just noticed that Metal Gear in the new trailer has giant grenades on it's hip, I wonder how hosed we are if it manages to throw one. :v:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Back Hack posted:

Just noticed that Metal Gear in the new trailer has giant grenades on it's hip, I wonder how hosed we are if it manages to throw. :v:
Proper hosed.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The old Outer Heaven logo in that one screenshot is really messing with me. Also it's perfectly centered, even though presumably the credits would be scrolling. I'm in full on denial mode, at least about the part where Venom is the Big Boss in MG1

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Heavy Metal posted:

It goes to show how much Hideo captures people's imaginations, how somebody could think that was an MGS ad. Though it is fun that his face is used in MGS5, whether he endorsed it or not.

It sure as hell isn't medical science.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

the wildest rear end posted:

The old Outer Heaven logo in that one screenshot is really messing with me. Also it's perfectly centered, even though presumably the credits would be scrolling. I'm in full on denial mode, at least about the part where Venom is the Big Boss in MG1
Who knows?

Not me.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

blackguy32 posted:

It sure as hell isn't medical science.
Ok, but... that doesn't make it an MGS ad. Do you really think that guy is a performance art character written by Hideo Kojima?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I thought he was a legit doctor. Either it's a big coincidence or Kojima paid him to do it.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Heavy Metal posted:

Ok, but... that doesn't make it an MGS ad. Do you really think that guy is a performance art character written by Hideo Kojima?

Just because someone is a legit doctor doesn't mean they can't do advertisements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5cpFXf1IEg

So now that we have established that it wasn't medical science, it most likely is a publicity stunt. Also considering the information coming out about the game and plot, it makes a lot more sense as a publicity stunt.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 26, 2015

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

blackguy32 posted:

Just because someone is a legit doctor doesn't mean they can't do advertisements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5cpFXf1IEg

So now that we have established that it wasn't medical science, it most likely is a publicity stunt. Also considering the information coming out about the game and plot, it makes a lot more sense as a publicity stunt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmGm_VVklvo - You believe this talk is an MGS ad? Do you believe it was written by Hideo?

Also, the guy has said its not a MGS stunt, and apparently there is a "sworn affidavit that Canavero filed with Italian police that formally denies he has anything to do with Konami or Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. In the report, Canavero swears to tell the truth or face perjury charges."

And again, I do think this shows how much Hideo has captured people's imaginations. I find it genuinely interesting that you think Hideo is behind everything this guy has said publicly. But for the record, it is of course not part of an MGS ad campaign.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
I think that ending point means exactly what it says. Big Boss (the real one) established Outer Heaven, put his second-in-command (in reality a body double) in charge, his body double got tired of being used, and started an uprising. I guess Big Boss saw MG2 as the ultimate power play.

It's also why liquid is in this game and not solid; liquid was the one who wanted to follow in Big Boss' footsteps, and this game seems to focus on everyone who will take up the mantle of Big Boss. So this game really does line everything up. Outer Heaven's founder, it's commander, and the man who sought to resurrect it are all in this game and all of their motivations are given. All of them will fail because of Solid, and we already know all of that.

So from MG to MGS, we're destroying the ideals of Big Boss. In MGS2 and 4 we're fighting against the system that Big Boss tried to rebel against by himself.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Full Battle Rattle posted:

It's also why liquid is in this game and not solid;
What about the end of the e3 2015 trailer, where Eli is sitting next to a twin?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Considering their outfits are exactly the same, down to the necklaces, I'm gonna say that's a hallucination.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

RatHat posted:

Considering their outfits are exactly the same, down to the necklaces, I'm gonna say that's a hallucination.
I've been eating those luminescent mushrooms again... tasty...

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
There's a guy on Gamefaqs summarizing tapes as he listens to them. Only interesting thing so far is Chico's fate is explained: He died in the helicopter crash. RIP

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Nakar posted:

The main issue is of course that Skull Face appears to really exist. He's mentioned by NPCs in Ground Zeroes, the guide suggests he's his own dude and that XOF existed, he has a unique backstory that's supported by the tapes in GZ and so forth.

If I had to guess, I think it would go down like this: Skull Face is real and is the real villain of the main game, but dies at the end as suggested in the guide leaks (crushed by rubble, left to die by Boss/Kaz, finished off by Huey). Then he just starts showing up again in the postgame stuff, at which point he's very clearly a Venom hallucination or something. If the spoilers about Venom are true, this is when the story starts breaking down his sense of identity and Skull Face becomes the demon on his shoulder. Perhaps because he's primed Venom to some extent with his dialogue while still alive.

Also worth noting the Outer Heaven logo is a skull with a big hole in it, right where Venom's shrapnel would be. :tinfoil:

Also also worth noting, the MGS1 part of the trailer focuses on Liquid and Mantis (who we know are in the game as kids), Sniper Wolf (sorta reflected in Quiet), and... Gray Fox. :tinfoil:

You are aware this is Jokers story in Arkham Knight, right?

Nail Rat posted:

"My dead gay doppelganger"

-Big Boss

Wait, does this mean they've backtracked on Big Boss being bi? Boooooo!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

RatHat posted:

There's a guy on Gamefaqs summarizing tapes as he listens to them. Only interesting thing so far is Chico's fate is explained: He died in the helicopter crash. RIP

Now we'll never know what was up with his chest plug.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really hope those ending spoilers are true because it'd mean I called it like a two loving years ago and I'm never right about these things.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

The wikia edit war over the BB spoiler is really heating up:

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I don't even know what's real anymore. I can't wait to play the game, and find the truth

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The major sought a system that used information, leaks, to control the subconscious.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Please spoil everything, people with the game.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Given the right situation, the right story, anyone can be shaped into Snake. Even rookies can fight like men of experience.

(The twist is dumb as hell but it works on an extra level as a callback to this)

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Nail Rat posted:

Given the right situation, the right story, anyone can be shaped into Snake. Even rookies can fight like men of experience.

(The twist is dumb as hell but it works on an extra level as a callback to this)
Considering people keep posting saying the story has always been dumb as hell, this just means its brilliant as hell like the rest of the series.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

V

FOR

VICTORY.

ROCKET.

PEACE!!!

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

There's still apparently a third ending which hasn't been leaked yet, one a few reviewers mentioned which completely twists the twist itself up on it's head and it becomes fourth wall breaking. So I don't think anyone has the full story yet.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Mr. Fortitude posted:

There's still apparently a third ending which hasn't been leaked yet, one a few reviewers mentioned which completely twists the twist itself up on it's head and it becomes fourth wall breaking. So I don't think anyone has the full story yet.

The true ending is that Metal Gear has been one long simulation to create the perfect soldier. The player is the true Big Boss, and it ends with an invitation to Kojima's offshore fortress.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The third ending takes us back to Arlington, where Big Boss (voiced by Richard Doyle) and Solid Snake (archived audio of David Hayter) have one last heart-to-heart.

Just as Big Boss is about to die from FOXDIE, he sees a final vision of everyone he's met in his adventures, all living peacefully in the perfect Outer Haven.

He hugs Eli and George for the first time. He and Zero finally reconcile. EVA takes him into her arms for a kiss. And he shares one last spar with The Boss.

As Big Boss embraces peace for the first time in decades, Venom suddenly appears.

He exclaims "ROCKET PEACE" and fires his rocket arm at Big Boss's crotch.

FIN

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Danaru posted:

The true ending is that Metal Gear has been one long simulation to create the perfect soldier. The player is the true Big Boss, and it ends with an invitation to Kojima's offshore fortress.

For serious talk, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it involved child Mantis somehow. In Metal Gear Solid 1 and 4, he's always broken the fourth wall whenever he's involved. He's in Metal Gear Solid 5 yet there is seemingly nothing fourth wall breaking. I wouldn't be surprised if the twist is that Mantis is twisting Big Bosses memories to think he isn't Big Boss, or somehow influencing him to the point he blames a fictitious Venom Snake for his actions before the game then ends with Big Boss questioning what was real or not and basically repeating the same message at the end of Metal Gear Solid 2.

If it really is as simple as the twist that was leaked and nothing more, then it's too obvious by Kojima standards and ultimately a little disappointing and one hell of a retcon too since the members of FOXHOUND and Solidus Snake idolized someone who wasn't even Big Boss.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Mr. Fortitude posted:

If it really is as simple as the twist that was leaked and nothing more, then it's too obvious by Kojima standards and ultimately a little disappointing and one hell of a retcon too since the members of FOXHOUND and Solidus Snake idolized someone who wasn't even Big Boss.
For me, I don't see why that's disappointing. When we played MGS, Big Boss was just a name to us anyway. (I'm sure some had played the MSX versions, but I think good MSX emulators came a bit later). (NES too, granted)

It changes things, it's a twist... but for me it seems kind of cool, and not inherently disappointing. Though I'll have to play it myself and see how it plays out.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 28, 2015

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Heavy Metal posted:

For me, I don't see why that's disappointing. When we played MGS, Big Boss was just a name to us anyway. (I'm sure some had played the MSX versions, but I think good MSX emulators came a bit later). (NES too, granted)

It changes things, it's a twist... but for me it seems kind of cool, and not inherently disappointing. Though I'll have to play it myself and see how it plays out.

It just seems pointlessly stupid and opens up more plotholes than it closes.
I love the idea of Venom Snake not being Big Boss, but the idea of Venom Snake being the one who created Outer Heaven instead of Big Boss raises serious questions, from the practical like "how the gently caress did Solid Snake not notice the difference between a man who has no shrapnel in his head and a man who does and is claiming to be Big Boss" to some of the stuff Big Boss says at the end of MGS 4 more or less being retconned as well, saying it'll mark the third time Solid Snake will have erased him when it'd really only be the second.

Buuuut I think the NeoGAF leak is pretty suspect anyway. There's a couple of things the leaker mentions which don't even match up fully with what was in the leaked guide, or even Ground Zeroes for that matter. Like if the parasites reacted that badly to water that anyone infected by them is in visible pain and Skull Face only survived thanks to those parasites, how the hell was he able to walk around in Ground Zeroes in the rain?

So yeah, I'm calling bullshit on the NeoGAF leak unless Kojima really is a terrible writer that he forgot what was in the own prequel set up to the game.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

It contradicts the previous games, but so does having an incredibly badass Metal Gear that makes the ones in the MSX games look like a trash can. I disagree that it's inherently stupid or terrible, but I think we'll have to get our hands on the game to really review the story.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Danaru posted:

Konami wouldn't fund it, thus Kojima had to break away from them and form his own Private Army.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

According to a stream going on right now, Quiet has the parasites but water actually gives her a healing factor. It doesn't hurt her like the NeoGAF leak claimed.

So yes, the NeoGAF leak seems 95% bullshit now. There might be some elements of truth to it but the leaker is taking things completely out of context if that is the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Are you telling me these leaks are all... orchestrated!?

• Locked thread