Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

Carbon Dog is weak against multi bottle rockets, like everything in the game.

Yup but be careful that Jeff doesn't have one queued up when it changes into Diamond Dog since it starts with a power shield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yup but be careful that Jeff doesn't have one queued up when it changes into Diamond Dog since it starts with a power shield.

Good grief I just got that reference. :v:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Wanna read that book.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Chieves posted:

Good grief I just got that reference. :v:

Works on two levels.

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007
Dang how do you read that book?

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
http://earthboundcentral.com/reshuffler/

Inspired by the various other RPG randomizer hacks, someone made one for Earthbound. I just started it up, but it seems pretty fun so far. Might want to avoid the "challenging enemies" option though. Enemy stats are about what they would normally be, but with completely randomized attacks sometimes early enemies get stuff like the Wobbly Robots missile attack that always does hundreds of damage or overpowered PSI attacks.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

dude789 posted:

http://earthboundcentral.com/reshuffler/

Inspired by the various other RPG randomizer hacks, someone made one for Earthbound. I just started it up, but it seems pretty fun so far. Might want to avoid the "challenging enemies" option though. Enemy stats are about what they would normally be, but with completely randomized attacks sometimes early enemies get stuff like the Wobbly Robots missile attack that always does hundreds of damage or overpowered PSI attacks.

I loved the FF6 version of this. I wish there was a way to randomize your party sprites, but I guess lacking all the different frames of animation would make that impossible.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
So I have a weird Earthbound memory that I'm curious if anyone can explain. When I was a fresh faced youngster, one of the first ROMs that I tried to download was Earthbound. When I started it up in ZSNES, what I got was a zombie sprite that I could walk around a tiled green and blue field. I have no clue how that happened, and I've not encountered it since. Has anyone else experienced this?

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Sounds like you stumbled into a creepy pasta.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The dudes who put out the recent Mother vinyl OST are now doing Mother 2! http://shiptoshore.storenvy.com/products/14044656-mother-2

quote:

MOTHER 2: ギーグの逆修 
$40.00

PRE-ORDER
COMING SOON
DESCRIPTION

NOTE: This is a pre-order and will ship early 2016.

For the first time ever on vinyl, Ship to Shore PhonoCo., in conjunction with Sony Music Entertainment, is proud to present Hirokazu Tanaka & Keiichi Suzuki's original soundtrack to the 1994 Super Famicom classic MOTHER 2: ギーグの逆修 (MOTHER 2: Gyiyg Strikes Back!).

MOTHER 2, released as EarthBound in the West, is revered as one of the most offbeat and memorable RPGs. Citing influence from artists such as Brian Wilson, Frank Zappa and John Lennon, Suzuki and Tanaka created a diverse soundscape quite unlike anything that came before it.

Remastered specifically for vinyl and released outside of Japan for the first time ever, MOTHER 2 is a must have for video game music and soundtrack fans.

Pressing information:
Each 2xLP is housed in an old style tip on gatefold jacket, and a traditional Japanese OBI strip

Classic Black Vinyl
"ギーグ" Red/Black swirl
"ネス" Blue/Yellow Split
"どせいさん" Hot Spring Pink
(Please note that the colors in the photo are approximations. Actual colors may vary slightly.)

TRACK LISTING:
SIDE A
1. Prologue
2. Onett
3. Twoson
4. Saturn Valley
5. Winters
6. Threek
7. Doko Doko Desert
8. Fourside
9. Moonside

SIDE B
1. Ramma
2. Summers
3. Scarabi
4. Dungeon Man
5. Cursed Jungles
6. Gumi Village
7. The Under World
8. Magicant
9. The Great Under World

SIDE C
1. Final Battle
2. Love & Peace
3. Ending

SIDE D
1. Room Number (PSI Mix)
2. Hula-Hoop (PSI Mix)
3. Another 2 (PSI Mix)
NOTE: THIS PRODUCT WILL ONLY SHIP TO NORTH AMERICA AND EUROPE.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The dudes who put out the recent Mother vinyl OST are now doing Mother 2! http://shiptoshore.storenvy.com/products/14044656-mother-2

Yeah! We are super stoked about putting this out! The response has been crazy!

I'm actually listening to side D now for the billionth time and god it sounds great.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

I'm actually listening to side D now for the billionth time and god it sounds great.

Oh, you're handling this? Sweet, the Mother release was great and I'm glad it paid off for you guys.

Just curious: you're basically negotiating with Sony Music for these releases, right? ie, being able to swing Mother doesn't necessarily open you up to non-Sony Nintendo OST releases in the future? I don't have anything specific in mind, I'm just hoping we might be able see a regular stream of re-releases in the future.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Gann Jerrod posted:

So I have a weird Earthbound memory that I'm curious if anyone can explain. When I was a fresh faced youngster, one of the first ROMs that I tried to download was Earthbound. When I started it up in ZSNES, what I got was a zombie sprite that I could walk around a tiled green and blue field. I have no clue how that happened, and I've not encountered it since. Has anyone else experienced this?
Someone's weird romhack maybe? I remember a lotta GBA roms with weird scene intros that were occasionally interactive. That was definitely a thing as far back as cracked DOS games, no clue about SNES though.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

Oh, you're handling this? Sweet, the Mother release was great and I'm glad it paid off for you guys.

Just curious: you're basically negotiating with Sony Music for these releases, right? ie, being able to swing Mother doesn't necessarily open you up to non-Sony Nintendo OST releases in the future? I don't have anything specific in mind, I'm just hoping we might be able see a regular stream of re-releases in the future.

Yeah, Sony is the licensor as far as MOTHER goes. As far as more Nintendo stuff goes, I can't comment, but Sony has a ton of great VGM stuff and we've built up a great relationship. We definitely have more in the works with them and other companies.

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

ASK ME WHAT MAKES ME THINK I'M SO FUNKY
Sorry to be a giant weeb about this, but it's "逆襲"

"逆修" means something very different and very strange

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

The Timely Howard posted:

Sorry to be a giant weeb about this, but it's "逆襲"

"逆修" means something very different and very strange

Fair enough. Fixed that on our product page!

Entry level Japanese only gets you so far, apparently.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

Do you have a date when you'll start accepting pre-orders?

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Hahahaha the Earthbound randomizer hack gives Teddy Bears abilities. The basic one Paula came with in this playthrough can either guard, say something nasty to lower an opponent's guts, or launch a missile that does 300 damage to everything.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I really want Bill Watterson to make more Calvin & Hobbes comics, so I'm buying a $40 Pissing Calvin sticker to show my support.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

The Milkman posted:

Do you have a date when you'll start accepting pre-orders?

Tomorrow at 1pm EST.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

Tomorrow at 1pm EST.

I will be :f5: like crazy tomorrow afternoon then.

The Giygas swirl vinyl looks gorgeous (at least in its mockup form). You're quickly becoming one of my favorite record labels... and I don't even own a single one of your releases yet.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

dude789 posted:

Hahahaha the Earthbound randomizer hack gives Teddy Bears abilities. The basic one Paula came with in this playthrough can either guard, say something nasty to lower an opponent's guts, or launch a missile that does 300 damage to everything.

Downside: Something about the way the "[name] turned into a pile of fluff..." death text--which in the game is reserved for teddy bears but in the reshuffler is frequently used by enemies--works causes it to take away your teddy bear automatically :saddowns:

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

This just went live. I grabbed the blue/yellow version.

Astroduck
Aug 30, 2006

Pre-ordered the poo poo out of that OST. Decided on Hot Spring Pink. I don't even care that its $25 to ship to the UK.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I defeated that shopping mall thing and now I'm in some dumb monkey door puzzle. had to loving leave twice just to get their loving picnic lunch and cup of tea or whatever. now they're talking about Dragonite. God drat where the gently caress is Paula, I thought getting out of Moonside and beating that statue would end this arc. gently caress Fourside.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

MinibarMatchman posted:

I defeated that shopping mall thing and now I'm in some dumb monkey door puzzle. had to loving leave twice just to get their loving picnic lunch and cup of tea or whatever. now they're talking about Dragonite. God drat where the gently caress is Paula, I thought getting out of Moonside and beating that statue would end this arc. gently caress Fourside.

Look up a guide for the monkey maze so you have all the poo poo you need. You need the pencil eraser, I remember that much.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

triplexpac posted:

Look up a guide for the monkey maze so you have all the poo poo you need. You need the pencil eraser, I remember that much.

whew thank you. so much stuff I have to go back and forth for right now. Let alone that trout yogurt poo poo.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

MinibarMatchman posted:

whew thank you. so much stuff I have to go back and forth for right now. Let alone that trout yogurt poo poo.

Im pretty sure all you need to bring is the pencil eraser, a picnic lunch and a wet towel. Monkeys should give you the rest in trade.

Can't believe I still remember that

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Pre-ordered the Giygas red/black swirl. Looks like the Mother 1 transparent red is sold out.

So looking at the Mother 2 tracklist... is the hospital theme not included? It's probably my single favorite song from the game. I'd hardly ever have reason to go to the hospital, but damnit, every now and then I went inside just so I could enjoy dat bassline.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Cervixalot posted:

Im pretty sure all you need to bring is the pencil eraser, a picnic lunch and a wet towel. Monkeys should give you the rest in trade.

Can't believe I still remember that

Pencil eraser, picnic lunch and skip sandwich.

There are a few good items (Bag of Dragonite, Flame Pendant, Broken Tube) that you can find in the monkey cave and keep. You definitely absolutely don't want to leave without the Flame Pendant, in particular.

The monkey cave is unfun bullshit and one of the upsides to emulating are you can use a walk-through-walls code to skip it.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

Ballz posted:

Pre-ordered the Giygas red/black swirl. Looks like the Mother 1 transparent red is sold out.

So looking at the Mother 2 tracklist... is the hospital theme not included? It's probably my single favorite song from the game. I'd hardly ever have reason to go to the hospital, but damnit, every now and then I went inside just so I could enjoy dat bassline.

Most of the battle, dungeon and misc. themes are in the remixes at the end of the record. The hospital theme is on the first track on Side D.

Oh, and thanks for ordering, you guys! This drat thing has been such a long process for us...finally getting it out there for people feels great!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'm in the process of grinding out stat boosts with a rock candy. It's not all that fun but I'm a sucker for numbers going up.

Also I want to have enough PP to just Starstorm my way through everything.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm in the process of grinding out stat boosts with a rock candy. It's not all that fun but I'm a sucker for numbers going up.

Also I want to have enough PP to just Starstorm my way through everything.

You have infinite PP for Poo from the moment he joins. Just teleport to Dalaam and stock up on Brain Food Lunches.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

lol

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Is the OST site not offering the Red/Black swirl any more? :ohdear:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Random question but are there any games similar to Earthbound that's worth playing? I know LISA and thought it was alright, and Undertale has me interested but kinda blind on other things.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

FreshFeesh posted:

Is the OST site not offering the Red/Black swirl any more? :ohdear:

Sold out, I'm afraid. Get the hot springs pink one instead.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yokai Watch 3 will be the next Earthbound, calling it now.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Random question but are there any games similar to Earthbound that's worth playing? I know LISA and thought it was alright, and Undertale has me interested but kinda blind on other things.

The first parts of Nino Kunai

Also the recent Tales games because they're full of weird rear end banter and Time Destroying Aliens/Monsters/Leonardo DaVinci. Tales of Xillia 1 and 2 will probably fill the void in your life.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Aug 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Yokai Watch 3 will be the next Earthbound, calling it now.

I'm hoping some part of that Undertale is the next one personally.

Admittedly mainly because a friend of mine is helping with it but still.

• Locked thread