Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

I would second those Hop Along and Jeff Rosenstock albums and add:

The World is a Beautiful Place - Harmlessness
The Armed - Untitled
Muck - Your Joyous Future

And some that might be debatably punk:
Sleater-Kinney - No Cities to Love
Titus Andronicus - The Most Lamentable Tragedy
METZ - II

Yeah, I really like No Cities, I just didn't think it would really be considered punk, but it's debatable, for sure. I gotta get on listening to Metz II and Most Lamentable Tragedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Yeah, I'd agree with the (debatably punk) We Cool?, Lamentable Tragedy, No Cities, and Painted Shut but I'd also throw out:

Maths - The Fires Courting the Sea
Viet Cong - Viet Cong

As being pretty good records as well. I still have to listen to The Armed and Muck records though.

edit: Oh wow this High Dive album is really good, I had no idea Ginger from Good Luck had a new band.

Queer Salutations fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 24, 2015

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
I'll also add Bad Cop/Bad Cop - Not Sorry

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
We Cool? is punk as gently caress and also awesome as gently caress and anyone who tries to go "well is it really punk" can eat a poop

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012
I can't count the number of good EPs I've heard this year, I'm barely up on LPs, but I'd add:

Uranium Club - Human Exploration (not sure if this is actually different from their 2014 demo, but check it out either way)
Coneheads - L.P. 1 (technically a collection of EPs)
Nervosas - ST II
Golden Pelicans - Oldest Ride, Longest Line

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

Literally The Worst posted:

We Cool? is punk as gently caress and also awesome as gently caress and anyone who tries to go "well is it really punk" can eat a poop

But he signed to SideOne?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

rear end Catchcum posted:

Remember when Jeff was actually DIY and not a sellout loser?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

Remember when Jeff was actually DIY and not a sellout loser?

Sellout is a vacuous meaningless term

Noted big label SideOne

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 25, 2015

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
please dont do this you loving idiots

vorbis vorbilby
Apr 9, 2001

d-beat dad
Selling out is actually The Good and Cool Thing.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Good for Jeff but I just think it's weird to call it a punk record. Maybe half cause he still released it on his site for free.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

stay depressed posted:

please dont do this you loving idiots

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Just because you are punk doesn't mean you have to be dumb

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
disagree.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

are you guys really arguing about whether or not the record is "punk" because the guy signed to a record label?

i'm not familiar with the punk community/scene but I listened to We Cool and from a musical standpoint it was punk

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Kvlt! posted:

are you guys really arguing about whether or not the record is "punk" because the guy signed to a record label?

i'm not familiar with the punk community/scene but I listened to We Cool and from a musical standpoint it was punk

Oh but you see the jacket on his records, should you choose to buy them since he still gives them away for free, now says "SideOneDummy" instead of "Asian Man Records". What a loving sellout.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Monday_ posted:

Oh but you see the jacket on his records, should you choose to buy them since he still gives them away for free, now says "SideOneDummy" instead of "Asian Man Records". What a loving sellout.
lol yep

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I like the new defeater. Thanks.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Bape Culture posted:

I like the new defeater. Thanks.

yeah

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It's kind of boring tbh. I love the first two albums and EP, but they're starting to get stale.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
It doesn't have those hard hitters like Blessed Burden or Bastards, but I really really love it. Favorites are Borrowed & Blue and Atonement, so I guess I'm a sucker for their lighter stuff.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i'm the only guy who likes the new Ceremony record, much as i was the only guy who liked the previous Ceremony record.

Self Defense Family album is good too.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I like tony Molina. Does he do something in ceremony

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i'm the only guy who likes the new Ceremony record, much as i was the only guy who liked the previous Ceremony record.

Self Defense Family album is good too.

I like it too! It just felt weird putting it on my list despite how their previous albums sounded.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

this is the stupidest way to determine whether or not an album of music is music of a certain genre

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
also i for one am glad that a dude who spent like ten years touring for exactly zero dollars and giving away all of his music managed to get like 20 bucks out of it

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
you just had to get your 2 cents in, couldnt just let it die

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Seriously don't even respond to rear end Catchcum. Everyone in the rap thread learned how to do that forever ago.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kvlt! posted:

I was kidding but apparently other people weren't?

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
i met a complete stranger who complimented me on my extortion (aussie hardcore) shirt last weekend :3:

also new despise you ep is sick as gently caress as usual

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGWZDpzKVzI

vorbis vorbilby
Apr 9, 2001

d-beat dad
The new Yautja EP and Great Falls LP are both very good and are both going to be very good once you finally get to hear them.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

I was kidding but apparently other people weren't?

I actually didn't know you were, and retract my statement.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
New Flatliners is pretty good.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THoiYF4rZ3g

i dunno what happened to these dudes but they haven't put out anything since 2011 which is really unfortunate since they're so good

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
yeah that's not bad

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

if you aren't listening to the new gattaca lp well, i feel sorry for you

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe
anyone going to the full of hell/extortion show at the sanctuary in detroit?

october 24th, $10 at the door

RobotNinjaHornets
Dec 30, 2012
A cursory glance across the last couple of pages has led me to believe that no-one's posted about Tender Defender

FFO: Latterman because it's literally 3/4s of Latterman and is real good because it's 3/4s of Latterman

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

RobotNinjaHornets posted:

A cursory glance across the last couple of pages has led me to believe that no-one's posted about Tender Defender

FFO: Latterman because it's literally 3/4s of Latterman and is real good because it's 3/4s of Latterman

There's also a documentary that features Latterman on the SnagFilms channel on Roku, called Between Resistance and Community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012
Some good friends that I met through touring with a companion band back in the day have been gaining traction as a pop punk band called Wet Nurse, based in Orlando. They're leaving for a pretty substantial tour in a week or so, and I would highly recommend catching a show near you if possible. They live in the narrow slice of pop punk that I can always get behind, I spin their first LP on the regular, and the new single is highlighted in this Vice article.

Also, I'm officially out of Chicago and into Brooklyn, so feel free to PM me if you know anything about a DIY scene that isn't based in bars, and failing that, your favorite bands in the borough in general.