Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SpaceCommie posted:

Found a server with 6 firebugs :dance:

I'm glad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
There are only 2 updates I really care about:

1. Stop the headless zeds from tracking people, unless they are blind.
2. Bring back the "switch to last weapon" button.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Switch to last weapon button would own

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

lets all beat the meat

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

Unclean009 posted:

How do dedicated servers work with this beta update?

You need to opt into the preview build in SteamCMD or the batch file you use to update your servers. If you're not on the server mailing list you should get on that list because we always put instructions like that on the server e-mail list before we push out updates.

Your command for updating your server should look like this in order to be opted into the beta

"App_Update 232130 -beta preview"

The format is always "app_update appID# -beta betabranchname -betapassword password"

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Can't wait to dive into the charred sea of zeds.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Well, that is a hell of a lot of cool poo poo in those notes. Shame there are a few nitpicks to go with all the new things.

Petty nitpicks that can be ignored posted:

The AA12 (and others) has it's own specific price tag now? Oh god, it begins. I liked everything having static prices. Hopefully this doesn't become too widespread, it was nice not needing to know a wiki's worth of pricings.

Oh my goodness they nerfed the Stock Shotgun and boomstick capacities? To make the M4 look more appealing I guess? The low capacity on Shotguns was part of why I spent more time on Command than I thought I would-

Oh, Commando ammo nerf. Less ammo, costs more. I'm sure people who land nothing but headshots (unlike me :saddowns:) won't feel it though.

I am the most baffled by the 9mm Mag Nerf though. It's the 9mm, even dual wielding won't change the fact it's garbage even against trash without the Commando's Backup talent on Hard+ :confused:

Still, 99% of those patch notes look pretty sweet.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Winchester 1897 status: :supaburn:

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008
Whoa whoa whoa

Support's shotgun only has 32 shells by default now? Is this right? What is this poo poo?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Good thing I played nothing but Support before this patch because it looks like I won't be doing it again!

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 26, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Abandoned Toaster posted:

Whoa whoa whoa

Support's shotgun only has 32 shells by default now? Is this right? What is this poo poo?

Joke answer that is potentially serious answer: To make the M4 look more appealing, so people might actually use the M4 instead of Boomstick+AA12. Or Stock shotgun+Boomstick+AA12 with the 20 weight talent. And thus get actual test data for the M4 outside of "Nobody uses this thing, basically. They'd rather keep their stock shotgun than use it"

8 shells and stumble power. Honestly it feels like they are afraid of making the M4 GOOD Good, because that is the impression given. If you literally doubled the damage on the M4, it would still be basically half the damage (and a longer reload) compared to magdumping the AA12 into something. But it would give the M4 a niche of making aimed shots to the head worth the time and effort compared to "Just aim the AA12 in their general direction".

Hopefully the more optimistic view of "They are trying to baby steps improve it so they don't have to nerf it again later" is closer to the truth.

It seems like they are playing around with "Less ammo" in general. After all, every single Commando weapon got it's ammo capacity cut, AND it's ammo price increased. 2-3 mags less, and/or less starting ammo. Even the 9MM for it's mag total nerfed, and it's the freakin 9mm. Hopefully it all goes back up sometime and this is just beta testing curiosity to see how much that lower ammo effects actual gameplay.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Aug 26, 2015

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Whoa whoa whoa

Lol if you're not shooting at least 4 clots with every blast anyway.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The M4 would be fine if it shot slugs or frags (because a frags AA12 would be too much fun for one game as demonstrated in Battlefield 3 :911: ). I've never had much of an issue with ammo as Support once I have a second weapon, and this makes Supplier look less attractive now that it doesn't give grenades, but couple more spending on ammo with the increase in AA12 pricing and it would be tough to afford it more than a couple rounds before Hans if you're wasting even a few shots.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 26, 2015

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Just took the Demo out for a solo round. Cluster grenade "pistol" is rad as can be. C4 isn't dropped at your feat it's hurled like a grenade, it's really a remote-detonated grenade and hits like a truck (2 takes out a Fleshpound on solo/normal, but that's 2 out of 3 that you carry, at least at level 0). Bloop-launcher is also pretty rad. Didn't get enough money to try out the RPG-7 since it was short. Funniest part was when I killed Hans after soloing (normal). Got him with a C4 that made his body/corpse float gently up above his own grenades that he just tossed...which made his gibs fly across the room.

Not sure what the perk of the dynamite is beyond eventually being able to carry/hurl a giant pile of them. So far though it looks like the Demo wants to keep his pistol at all time and never sell it for close-range/trash clearing work since your bloop-launcher has an arming distance. Also the grenade pistol seems to do the least damage to yourself when the explosion goes off in your face.

Edit: Oh, slight visual bug when Hans grabs you when using C4:

Suddenly my arm comes out of the top of my head.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 26, 2015

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Questioner86 posted:

"App_Update 232130 -beta preview"

Done

Questioner86 posted:

You need to opt into the preview build in SteamCMD or the batch file you use to update your servers. If you're not on the server mailing list you should get on that list because we always put instructions like that on the server e-mail list before we push out updates.

And done!

Server is running now. Was full nearly as soon as it loaded.

Currently up on 185.38.36.80.

Mexicat
Feb 1, 2013
is it just me or are the character voices very quiet

edit: it was just me.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
Berserker was pretty good. Now it's even better.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
So far I think the Trenchgun is pretty lovely. It's also super redundant to have the Chalk Gun and the Flamethrower, why didn't you just keep the Mac-10? Firebug seems kinda meh so far on first impression but I understand I'll need to be at least Level 15 for it to really shine. I think the Firebug should have a passive that makes any offperk weapon have a flaming bullet.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Skoll posted:

So far I think the Trenchgun is pretty lovely. It's also super redundant to have the Chalk Gun and the Flamethrower, why didn't you just keep the Mac-10? Firebug seems kinda meh so far on first impression but I understand I'll need to be at least Level 15 for it to really shine. I think the Firebug should have a passive that makes any offperk weapon have a flaming bullet.

Trenchgun seemed to have a decent amount of punch against trash. He's very much a trash clearer. Also, don't just fire away with it, or with any firebug weapon. Just light a group on fire then stand back and let the tick damage do the work. If you fire away with any firebug weapon you'll just burn (heh) through ammo and do little to nothing.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Pretty good all around. There's a weird bug where if you take an action when bullettime triggers, it won't trigger for you.

The M4 is pretty good but it still feels a bit too expensive. Maybe $1000 even? Also does the stock shotgun sell for less now?? Support feels nerfed all around due to lower ammo and higher prices all around, but it's still mainly what I played.

I also wish the grenade launcher reloaded a bit faster.

The grenade pistol is really cool.

It'd be nice if the beta went live so we could play all the nifty new parks on the now 120+ custom maps the community has made.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Alkydere posted:

Trenchgun seemed to have a decent amount of punch against trash. He's very much a trash clearer. Also, don't just fire away with it, or with any firebug weapon. Just light a group on fire then stand back and let the tick damage do the work. If you fire away with any firebug weapon you'll just burn (heh) through ammo and do little to nothing.

No poo poo, Sherlock. I was more giving my first impression of the KF2 iteration, not asking how to play Firebug.

Like I said, the you need the level bonuses for it to really shine but early on it feels kind of painful. I don't think things like extending the Flamer range should have been locked behind loving level 20. In the first game it was Lv. 3 when you got the range extended, now you have to pretty much max the class out almost to get literally it's most useful attribute.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Oh, also: Flex owns.

It owns.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Skoll posted:

No poo poo, Sherlock. I was more giving my first impression of the KF2 iteration, not asking how to play Firebug.

Like I said, the you need the level bonuses for it to really shine but early on it feels kind of painful. I don't think things like extending the Flamer range should have been locked behind loving level 20. In the first game it was Lv. 3 when you got the range extended, now you have to pretty much max the class out almost to get literally it's most useful attribute.

And I was saying I really didn't have the impression of weakness to me. Sure, it didn't hit nearly as hard as a Support shotgun, especially when the support had a few levels in him but I had no problem splattering an undamaged Siren's head at point blank while setting everyone behind her on fire with it.

Honestly my biggest problem right now is that the grenade launcher/pistol won't auto-reload if you interrupt the reloading. Since reloading can be cancelled so reliably now (finally, interrupting with grenades!) the single-shot weapons really should try to auto-reload like C4 does.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Microwave gun status report: This thing rips everything to goddamn shreds, entire fields of zombies just disappear before your very eyes! It'll even kill a Fleshpound in less than a clip, although that means less when you only have 4 clips. In solo/normal, it killed a Pound in roughly 70ish ammo, out of 400 maximum. But it also killed everything around the fleshpound significantly quicker, and if two pounds were together it could kill them both with the same microwaves, assuming they stayed together.

It's really early to call it but the microwave gun may be a viable alternative to the AA12 for the title of "best emergency kill-everything gun". Heck, with how the microwaves already pierce all enemies it might actually do a better job against everything except Hans.

Also, bloats seem super-weak to fire, so Firebug might be the best class at killing them quickly. It was certainly a lot easier to Caulk them dead in 2-3 seconds flat than killing them with support/commando headshots is.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Why won't it download for me? :( I even have it set to high-priority updates but I only see the 4 old perks when I start it and there's nothing in my downloads history for it.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

DeusExMachinima posted:

Why won't it download for me? :( I even have it set to high-priority updates but I only see the 4 old perks when I start it and there's nothing in my downloads history for it.

You made sure to opt-in to the beta right?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

DeusExMachinima posted:

Did you go into properties and set yourself to play the beta version?

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
oh derp

thanks guys

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Ammo nerfs are retarded, especially the support ones, they didn't have a lot of ammo to begin with even with the more ammo perk which will force support to use the ammo perk now.

Hans is a loving monster now and it seems it seems some of his melee strikes do so much loving damage, I was taking 54 on a 25 zerk, not sure what sets it off but they sound different, like a clanging sound when he hits you.

Looking forward to come up with ways to deal with scrakes and fleshpounds, now they have unparryable attacks at certain points its hard to stun them when they go ape poo poo, doesn't help that the unparryable poo poo seems so random, sometimes they'd rage and would have nothing but attacks I couldn't parry other times it would be half and half.

As I suspected the counter to circle strafing was an incredibly damaging spin attack, silly me thinking Tripwire could come up with interesting to counter it other than a near insta gib mechanic, in a similar manner they just made the guns everyone uses a little crappy or with less ammo to make the lovely ones more enticing, I don't know why Trip keeps doing this, just bring it in line with the rest, its like when they nerfed the M99 by making every bullet cost $500 dollars.

Anyway with the negative poo poo out of the way, I'm enjoying the update, the new zerker feels great while not being overpowered which is nice, Trip found a great balance with the class now, the new maps are cool, most of the zeds seem to have new attacks, noticed some new voice lines as well, love the grenade indicators on hans as well as the little tool tips.

Update was worth the wait, just needs to iron out a few kinks here and there.

I'll give Demo and Firebug a try when the Hans Revenge starts working again cause gently caress grinding.

Alteisen fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Aug 26, 2015

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Toyed around with demo on solo normal

it was everything i had hoped for

the explosions are glorious

Also there are apparently two huge gorgeous new maps that look like they dropped out of Doom3 and L4D2? Cool poo poo.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Loving the beta so far, but I've only played as Firebug. Thank you for giving me the lighting gun I always wanted as a TF2 Pyro, but a couple items of feedback:

-The sway on the microwave gun is excessive and serves no purpose other than to annoy me. If I can zero in on Hans while circle-strafing him so be it; don't add a random element in to punish good players.
-The flamethrower needs a bit more range or the perk needs to be open before level 20 (for reference I played pretty hard when the game came out and my Support is only 16). Right now it feels only marginally further than the Caulk N' Burn (which turned out to be more fun than I expected, but it's ultimately just a lovely Flamethrower and should probably be replaced no matter how much your art team loves it).
-The ammo reduction sucks. I was already struggling on Normal as a Firebug because the weight limit forces you to carry one tier-2+ weapon maximum, so Hard+ is probably going to be miserable without a lot of Supports running Supplier (which is going to be rare now that it doesn't give grenades and Supports themselves need the extra ammo). 16 shells off the double is loving brutal.
-The endgame screen is really cool and a welcome addition.

I think you guys would have been much better served trickling this stuff out over the last four months rather than dropping it all in one big patch. Early Access lets you integrate that kind of feedback and would have kept my friends and I from bailing entirely to Rocket League.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Aug 26, 2015

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I've only played like four matches so these aren't ironclad opinions but:
So far my opinion is support got nerfed too hard. It got four nerfs: less ammo for pump, less ammo for double, more expensive AA12, supplier doesn't give grenades. All of them hurt you in dosh and pickups are dire on early waves of a 7-wave, only getting vaguely okay at ...4? maybe? That's a lot of changes ... I'm thinking at least one or two should get rolled back but I'll play more and see.

With the existence of demo and firebug, it's no longer the permanent go-to class anyway so it probably didn't need to get hit that hard. I'm ignoring the perk change of putting Bombard next to tac reload; I forgot tac was a level 15 perk and whatever I'm never not taking tac reload so Bombard is meaningless.

Demo and firebug are good and fun though, new berserker seems really good, nightvision change also good. Hans tooltips and shield effect and grenade HUD icons are all good. New maps are good, even the cave one which I thought would be bad (it's not!) ... I mean overall, definitely a quality update but also clearly still a work in progress. Imagine that :v:

Psion fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Aug 26, 2015

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Psion posted:

I've only played like four matches so these aren't ironclad opinions but:
So far my opinion is support got nerfed too hard. It got four nerfs: less ammo for pump, less ammo for double, more expensive AA12, supplier doesn't give grenades. All of them hurt you in dosh and pickups are dire on early waves of a 7-wave, only getting vaguely okay at ...4? maybe? That's a lot of changes ... I'm thinking at least one or two should get rolled back but I'll play more and see.

I didn't read the change log before playing the beta which is why I was shocked at the low ammo reserve but it wasn't just Support, Commando got some too:

quote:

M500 now holds 16 less shells
Double Barrel holds 16 less shells in the ammo pool
Added functionality so ammo pickups can give partial mags
9mm starts with one mag less of ammo
9mm has 3 less magazines
AR-15 starts with one mag less of ammo
AR-15 has 2 less magazines
Bullpup has 3 less magazines
AK-12 has 2 less magazines

Edit: And also the M79 ammo reserve is a bit low at 16 too. 24 rounds, same as KF1 is fair IMO. I know the Grenade Pistol is probably the reason it's been lowered, but you don't really want to be using pistols by the time you're getting tier 3 and 4 weapons. And having a perk to give ONE extra grenade to everyone per wave is a really weak skill, I'm sorry. I've never had a situation where I went "Oh thank god, an extra grenade". Considering that Support's version still gives you a whole clip FOR EVERY WEAPON YOU CARRY it's just way more useful, especially since it gave you a grenade anyways before this update. If the Demo skill filled everyone's grenades once per wave or gave 2 or 3 instead, maybe then it might be useful.

Abandoned Toaster fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 26, 2015

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
It seems to me that, as a perk, Demo isn't useful until you really put some levels into it. The Demo's wepaons are powerful enough that the damage boosts he get from the perk at early levels feel like they barely do anything, and most of the other bonuses, including useful skills, don't kick in until you get quite a few levels in.

I've found that Demo wepaons are great for medics. I packed an RPG-7 as a Medic with a Medic Pistol and SMG and did some serious damage. Keep the Medic weapons out for most of the time, but if you see a big horde coming it, take out the RPG-7 and gib 'em.

Also, Demo's weapon's are so loving cool in this game. The RPG-7 feels extremely powerful; like you dropped a mini-nuke on your enemies. The Dynamite is basically the Commando's HE Grenade on steroids.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Aug 26, 2015

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Beta is hella cool, explosions own.

However there were lots of random FPS drop issues, like sometimes when facing a certain direction when someone set a single zed on fire my fps would go from 60 to 10. Seemed to get a lot of random jumps between totally smooth FPS and slideshows. Hopefully that gets ironed out.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Edit: And also the M79 ammo reserve is a bit low at 16 too. 24 rounds, same as KF1 is fair IMO. I know the Grenade Pistol is probably the reason it's been lowered, but you don't really want to be using pistols by the time you're getting tier 3 and 4 weapons. And having a perk to give ONE extra grenade to everyone per wave is a really weak skill, I'm sorry. I've never had a situation where I went "Oh thank god, an extra grenade". Considering that Support's version still gives you a whole clip FOR EVERY WEAPON YOU CARRY it's just way more useful, especially since it gave you a grenade anyways before this update. If the Demo skill filled everyone's grenades once per wave or gave 2 or 3 instead, maybe then it might be useful.

Honestly I think the explodo-pistol is the one case where the class really should keep the starter around even at high levels. The demo has incredibly limited ammo reserves all around, even compared to the nerfed Support. I mean, you start with 3 total C4. You need a relatively cheap gun for trash clearing when the big boys aren't around and it's either that or the 9mm (not that you shouldn't be making judicial use of the 9mm anyways). Not to mention that the M79 has a minimum arming distance so you need something for when enemies are getting in your face.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

I didn't read the change log before playing the beta which is why I was shocked at the low ammo reserve but it wasn't just Support, Commando got some too:

wow, that's harsh. I just kept my criticism to Support since I played that specifically.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'm running the game on Ultra with a Strix 970 and with the new graphics options I noticed it has minor slow down only when it gets REALLY crazy on the new maps.

I got the Firebug to Lv.5 before calling it quits for the night. I think the Caulk Gun has to go. it should be replaced with either the Mac-10 or the Flare gun ( why not both? ), but like someone else said it's ultimately just a shittier Flamethrower.
The lack of range on both of them though is painful, especially since it doesn't seem to do enough damage to kill anything reliably soon before they're on you.

Gorefasts seem a little too fast now and very resilient. I also think there is entirely too much Siren spam right now. If you're on the run from stuff, you usually end up getting gangbanged by about three of them in a tight space and since their damage got upped, pop goes the weasel. Also, the new classes don't seem to ( or I just didn't see any ) get any health or armor bonuses like the first four. That's a major oversight imo and should be rectified. I don't think the Firebug or Demo having 150 health or armor is too unreasonable.

All my playtime has been on Hard.

Edit : The molotovs are also loving awesome but I feel they burnt out way too quickly without the Level 5 Perk.

Skoll fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 26, 2015

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Alkydere posted:

Honestly I think the explodo-pistol is the one case where the class really should keep the starter around even at high levels. The demo has incredibly limited ammo reserves all around, even compared to the nerfed Support. I mean, you start with 3 total C4. You need a relatively cheap gun for trash clearing when the big boys aren't around and it's either that or the 9mm (not that you shouldn't be making judicial use of the 9mm anyways). Not to mention that the M79 has a minimum arming distance so you need something for when enemies are getting in your face.

I think I just need to find out how many hits with the RPG/M79 it takes to kill a scrake and/or fleshpound on 6-player hard and suicidal. The grenade pistol is a good weapon but it's not for the big guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

quote:

M500 now holds 16 less shells
Double Barrel holds 16 less shells in the ammo pool
Added functionality so ammo pickups can give partial mags
9mm starts with one mag less of ammo
9mm has 3 less magazines
AR-15 starts with one mag less of ammo
AR-15 has 2 less magazines
Bullpup has 3 less magazines
AK-12 has 2 less magazines

You can't cut back on our ammo funding! You will regret this!

On 10 wave servers I ran low all the time as a commando, even if it is just poping heads and nailing sirens. I think the ammo nerfs in general are a bit much.