Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Random thought, but I'm surprised that the Elder Scrolls never made a cheap, cash-in TRPG. Seems right up their alley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Covok posted:

Random thought, but I'm surprised that the Elder Scrolls never made a cheap, cash-in TRPG. Seems right up their alley.

Because then someone would homebrew it into something playable bahahaha

Serf
May 5, 2011

Covok posted:

Before Skyrim came out some of my friends wanted me to run Elder Scrolls for them in 4E, which we almost did, but then Skyrim actually came out and we all disappeared for a few months. There's so much cool lore and stuff to do in the Elder Scrolls universe I'd be down for at least a setting book to more easily run games there.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Heavily Homebrewed d20 Oblivion

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Covok posted:

Bah who cares we are getting the "authentic" Polish mythology TTRPG that everyone wants.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Serf posted:

Before Skyrim came out some of my friends wanted me to run Elder Scrolls for them in 4E, which we almost did, but then Skyrim actually came out and we all disappeared for a few months. There's so much cool lore and stuff to do in the Elder Scrolls universe I'd be down for at least a setting book to more easily run games there.

Too bad none of the games after Morrowind actually show any of that cool lore.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

High level games would consist of "a bandit attacks you, he's wearing heavy plate armour and has a magic ice sword"

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Andrast posted:

Blackreach in skyrim was pretty cool tbh.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

MadScientistWorking posted:

Bah who cares we are getting the "authentic" Polish mythology TTRPG that everyone wants.

The Witcher RPG is gonna suck balls but 3 was legit the best game of the year (until next week)

Serf
May 5, 2011

Andrast posted:

In a way I have to agree because Morrowind was the coolest world I've ever seen in a videogame and Oblivion (post-retconning) and Skyrim are closer to the generic fantasy we see all over the place. I remember reading the books in Morrowind and just being so intrigued by their mythology and history etc. and they didn't even bring those books forward into later games. So disappointing.

But Skyrim did have things like Blackreach and pretty cool lore concerning the dwemer and dragons, so it gets a pass. No excuse for Oblivion though.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

High level games would consist of "a bandit attacks you, he's wearing heavy plate armour and has a magic ice sword"

You're talking about D&D, yeah?

quote:

The Witcher RPG is gonna suck balls but 3 was legit the best game of the year (until next week)

What's coming out next week?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

it was an oblivion joke, but I guess that fits too

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Metal Gear

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9JV0EvCkMI

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

MadScientistWorking posted:

So I can finally play my sorcerer who's been on the moon for the past while because that's the halway point between Earth and hell? :v:

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

gradenko_2000 posted:

GotY all Years MGSV Phantom Pain

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Mad Max game

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Covok posted:

There's a hilariously bad homebrew one based on a heavily hacked WHFR 2e.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

fool_of_sound posted:

There's a hilariously bad homebrew one based on a heavily hacked WHFR 2e.

That just sounds like putting a round peg in a square hole.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Covok posted:

That just sounds like putting a round peg in a square hole.

You should see the Enchanting system they devised. I'd F&F it, but it's really crazy dense and would take forever.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
RuneQuest / BRP seems like a better fit for Elder Scrolls.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Honestly, I think trying to fit the mechanics is the wrong way to go, personally. It just never seems to turn out right since one is made with the assumption a computer is doing all the computations in secret while the other requires a human to do them in the moment.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Even nowadays, "convert the tone and fluff, not the mechanics" is still an uncommon idea.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Yeah, the mechanics of Elder Scrolls are less important than getting down the setting and tone. It's such a weird, dense world with lots of interesting stuff to explore, you don't really need to worry too much about which game you'd run it in.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Serf posted:

Yeah, the mechanics of Elder Scrolls are less important than getting down the setting and tone. It's such a weird, dense world with lots of interesting stuff to explore, you don't really need to worry too much about which game you'd run it in.

I may be doing something pbta in this direction. lol goon project.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I do have the 2001 Witcher TTRPG. Also a Nilfgaard sourcebook.

It featured:
- A hardcover with a photo from the infamous movie/series
- A handout color-printed map of the witcher world, with more photos from the badmovie. A4, it opened itself like a map for 7 more pages filled with photos from the badmovie.
- The stupidest name for GM I've ever read (sadly I don't really have the idea how to translate it while preserving the funny)
- Terrible mechanics - though tbh, they're not fatal thread-bad, just unnecessarily clunky
- A valiant attempt at trying to make fighters not-boring. They had their sort of combat mana they could spend to do patinados and imbroccatos and whatnot
- Actually a lot of pretty cool writing as long as it stayed away from the mechanics

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
A truly accurate Skyrim RPG would involve having the players read from a 1000+ page collection of short stories and poems every time their character picks up a book.

The GM directs them to a library when he wants to go make a sandwich.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
But the mechanics are part-and-parcel of the tone and fluff. That was the point I was trying to make with the D&D version of Diablo: it's ridiculous that the Sorceress "runs out of spells" when you're trying to emulate a game about running through the Chaos Sanctuary lobbing Frozen Orbs as quickly as possible.

In much the same way, using D&D to emulate Elder Scrolls would be really awkward insofar as your melee combat would be "roll to hit, next" and you'd be locked into specific classes rather than a class-less, skill-based system with melee combat that more closely resembles having to actively time attacks and proactively parry and block.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

gradenko_2000 posted:

But the mechanics are part-and-parcel of the tone and fluff. That was the point I was trying to make with the D&D version of Diablo: it's ridiculous that the Sorceress "runs out of spells" when you're trying to emulate a game about running through the Chaos Sanctuary lobbing Frozen Orbs as quickly as possible.

In much the same way, using D&D to emulate Elder Scrolls would be really awkward insofar as your melee combat would be "roll to hit, next" and you'd be locked into specific classes rather than a class-less, skill-based system with melee combat that more closely resembles having to actively time attacks and proactively parry and block.
Think EM meant you should use ttrpg mechanics that fit the tone even if they radically deviate from the ones in the game, as opposed to the usual methods of trying to lightly paper the setting over whatever system you have the licence for or trying to slavishly port the existing mechanics into an unsuitable medium. The fan made fallout 1&2 ttrpg was the perfect example of the latter. Turns out doing all that number crunching by hand really gets in the way of vats-to-the-groin, the rpg, and automatic undodgeable instagibs every ~40 shots don't work so good in a system without a save function.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 25, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Splicer posted:

Think EM meant you should use ttrpg mechanics that fit the tone even if they radically deviate from the ones in the game, as opposed to the usual methods of trying to lightly paper the setting over whatever system you have the licence for or trying to slavishly port the existing mechanics into an unsuitable medium.
Basically, yeah. If you're making an RPG based on a video game where people can fling spells all day and all night, don't use the system that has people run out of spells.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

Basically, yeah. If you're making an RPG based on a video game where people can fling spells all day and all night, don't use the system that has people run out of spells.

I mean you can run out of magicka. Either way, that's one of the reasons why I wanted to use 4E.

Now that I think about it, I wish more games had an MP model where you spent points from a pool to cast your spells. I've always liked that more than Vancian casting.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I remember a Final Fantasy game where the first design concern apparently was to accurately emulate the video game mechanics in dice rolls right down to the triple-digit-at-the-outset HP and damage numbers. Very special stuff.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The D&D arcade games taught a valuable lesson about how stupid that magic system would look in practice.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Covok posted:

For a while, the division of Zenimax making the Elder Scrolls RPG employed Sam Lewis, Zeb Cook, Lawrence Schick, Bill Slavicsek, Ed Stark, Lee Hammock (Dawning Star), and a few random ex-White Wolf writers. But they were busy doing other things.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Covok posted:

well here's a RPG that 4chan's /tg/ board made that looks decent; Unofficial Elder Scrolls RPG

and a wargame for Elder Scrolls using WHFB as a base; Scrollhammer

moths posted:

The D&D arcade games taught a valuable lesson about how stupid that magic system would look in practice.

not sure what crazy nonsense you're talking about, those games are great

Dec 26, 2012

moths posted:

Yeah, it taught me that it could completely own in a good game instead of underwhelm in a bad one.

Covok
May 27, 2013

It's not so much that I'm looking to play an Elder Scrolls TRPG as it is that I just am surprised an official one doesn't exist.

Also, I'm always envious at how good these fan project's layouts are. I really need to learn photoshop or something.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

InDesign :eng101:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Covok posted:

It's not so much that I'm looking to play an Elder Scrolls TRPG as it is that I just am surprised an official one doesn't exist.

Also, I'm always envious at how good these fan project's layouts are. I really need to learn photoshop or something.

oddly enough the /tg/ projects that go beyond Pastebin or Google Docs tend to have really good formatting for the most part(Dungeons The Dragoning 7th Edition is surprisingly good looking for example, same with that Pokemon RPG they made, and that Evangelion one)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yeah, that. It would be nice to have more control on the process since handing it off to a layout guy, while is fine and has worked in the past, requires a lot of correspondence and leads to more than a few communication errors. Then again, I don't have experience with aesthetics in general, not just the program so it would also be a theory problem.

drrockso20 posted:

oddly enough the /tg/ projects that go beyond Pastebin or Google Docs tend to have really good formatting for the most part(Dungeons The Dragoning 7th Edition is surprisingly good looking for example, same with that Pokemon RPG they made, and that Evangelion one)

I've noticed and it always make me envious and a little confused. In regards to the later, I just mean that it's a lot of work to put into something you can't sell.

• Locked thread