Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Lanz posted:

To this day, I am convinced Inafune cribbed from Mechanical Violator Hakaider when setting up the Zero series games.

Which, honestly, probably is not a far fetched guess considering some of the other Kikaider cribbing going on [Protoman's whole whistle thing drawing from Saburo's comes to mind]

He also has the yellow scarf. Though protoman's whole design is pretty reminiscent of a whole bunch of stuff, right down to the whole reveal that he was actually Megman's brother, brianwashed by the evil doctor all along!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I thought you might like Kamen Rider. It only goes up in quality from there.

There's a moment at about...episode 4? I forget it's been so long since I've seen it. But the villains are menacing a family or some such, and then suddenly Kamen Rider is at the glass door and his eyes start glowing and he bursts into the room and that's the moment I went "Yeah he's a goddamn super hero."

It's such a weird thing to explain, but it was shot really well to the point where, years later, it still sticks in my head. Most other Riders don't get that kind of "gently caress Yeah" moment for some reason.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Burkion posted:

There's a moment at about...episode 4? I forget it's been so long since I've seen it. But the villains are menacing a family or some such, and then suddenly Kamen Rider is at the glass door and his eyes start glowing and he bursts into the room and that's the moment I went "Yeah he's a goddamn super hero."

It's such a weird thing to explain, but it was shot really well to the point where, years later, it still sticks in my head. Most other Riders don't get that kind of "gently caress Yeah" moment for some reason.

Related, this moment from Kamen Rider Spirits:

:allears:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Is KR Spirits still going? It was pretty baller.

I just wish that the artist didn't have a serious case of the sameface that overrode any resemblance the Riders had to their original actors.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Shin Tokusatsu Thread: Even if there is no God...there is Kamen Rider

By the by, do any of you guys buy the toku mags like Telibi-kun or Telebi Magazine? There's a Kinokuniya not too far for me, so I load up on some issues every now and then. Love the goofy little collectibles they come with, and the photos are awesome. I love the little SD Rider/Sentai comics they have in the back, the artwork is really charming and some of them are pretty funny.

Dre2Dee2 fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 24, 2015

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dre2Dee2 posted:

By the by, do any of you guys buy the toku mags like Telibi-kun or Telebi Magazine? There's a Kinokuniya not too far for me, so I load up on some issues every now and then. Love the goofy little collectibles they come with, and the photos are awesome. I love the little SD Rider/Sentai comics they have in the back, the artwork is really charming and some of them are pretty funny.

I live near the Alabama border of Tennessee.

We uh, don't get many imports down here is what I'm trying to say.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Man, Shinkenger is giving Timeranger a run for it's money in civilian casualties. Aside from the blown up buildings, mooks are cutting people down by the handful. Bloodlessly, but still. :stonk:

Episode 10 was the worst so far. Reaaaally sexist, and not to mention it was just plain weird how, regardless of the genders involved, Chiaki's petulant temper tantrums won out and got him what he wanted. Quit Ninninger early on, but it had a plot like this too. Is "tertiary male ranger feels like a beta male compared to the other guys on the team" an often recycled plot in Sentai?

But other than that, it's awesome, it's hit it's groove. Ryuunosuke is a cutie.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Oh, how I wish. Not much of anything around here that carries Telebi/Telebi-kun.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Chase is the world's best robot buddy. The scenes about the love triangle stuff were really good because they were all a huge joke, and some levity could be used considering how screwed up everything else is right now.

Other good things about this episode;

Now that Heart is allied with Banno, instead of those fairy tail locations with brilliant colors and beautiful visuals, they're hanging out in literally a burned out garage that is still on fire and also leaking water.

Shinnosuke showing up as loving Type Technic for some reason.

I was right that 004 took Banno's form.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Burkion posted:

I live near the Alabama border of Tennessee.

We uh, don't get many imports down here is what I'm trying to say.

If you're really looking to order stuff that you can't just get shipped to you/want a place that gets that kind of stuff there's a few places in Huntsville if you don't mind an hour or two drive.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!
I can't decide whether or not to be mad at Ninninger this week because while it was pretty funny to watch Takaharu actually managed to killsteal the robot fight.

Nagi trolling the hell out of Yakumo helps.

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Aug 25, 2015

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Stallion Cabana posted:

I was right that 004 took Banno's form. [/spoiler]

You mean Krim's. Though Chase is easily stealing the show, his stoic nature plays off well with Tomari and Gou's more expressive personalities.

Also Nagi and Fuuka are slowly becoming the best Ningers. One is a cheerful dude who's secretly messing with people, the other is cute girl who even won the heart of a visual kei band member. :v:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Did I miss something on why Gold Drive counts as an Ultimate Roimudo or is it just one of those "because he said he does" sort of things?

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

LightningKimba posted:

You mean Krim's. Though Chase is easily stealing the show, his stoic nature plays off well with Tomari and Gou's more expressive personalities.

Also Nagi and Fuuka are slowly becoming the best Ningers. One is a cheerful dude who's secretly messing with people, the other is cute girl who even won the heart of a visual kei band member. :v:

Yes Krim, not Banno. The fact I confused that is eternal shame.

Potsticker posted:

Did I miss something on why Gold Drive counts as an Ultimate Roimudo or is it just one of those "because he said he does" sort of things?

Presumably because he's in a Roidmude's body, using a modified, upgraded Drivar based on the one in the Drive Belt, which I think is an upgraded model of the one that base Roidmude's have.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx
Gold Drive is an Ultimate Evolution because he's the correct color (golden).

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

There's also the fact that 006 IS an ultimate evolved Roidmude, that we don't get to see his Ultimate form due to Banno soundly trumping him. So really Banno is doing a similar deal with Chase, where Chase is (part?) Roidmude who' s a Kamen Rider, while Banno is a belt using an Ultimate Roidmude for transformation purposes.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

006 had an Advanced Mode but he hadn't achieved Ultimate Evolution; his power was on par with Heart's before Ultimate Evolution, but Heart noted he would only probably reach Ultimate Evolution when he killed Banno.

So I guess it's more like Banno is 'forcing' an Ultimate Evolution through the belt in the same way as Chase's 'Evolved' form is Mashin Chaser/Proto Drive/Kamen Rider Chaser.

Or something. Maybe that's what you were saying? Uncertain.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Stallion Cabana posted:

006 had an Advanced Mode but he hadn't achieved Ultimate Evolution; his power was on par with Heart's before Ultimate Evolution, but Heart noted he would only probably reach Ultimate Evolution when he killed Banno.

So I guess it's more like Banno is 'forcing' an Ultimate Evolution through the belt in the same way as Chase's 'Evolved' form is Mashin Chaser/Proto Drive/Kamen Rider Chaser.

Or something. Maybe that's what you were saying? Uncertain.

Ohhh, well see, this entire time, I thought 006 was implying he already Ultimate Evolved, rather than him just having an Advanced Mode similar to Heart. Your way of thinking would make sense, especially when we see Banno's capable of "helping" people achieve Ultimate Evolution, considering what happened with Medic.

In this case, Banno being Gold Drive could be seen as an Ultimate Evolution in itself. Science is powerful.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

LightningKimba posted:

Ohhh, well see, this entire time, I thought 006 was implying he already Ultimate Evolved, rather than him just having an Advanced Mode similar to Heart. Your way of thinking would make sense, especially when we see Banno's capable of "helping" people achieve Ultimate Evolution, considering what happened with Medic.

In this case, Banno being Gold Drive could be seen as an Ultimate Evolution in itself. Science is powerful.

It also makes you a sociopathic dick if Banno is any indication.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

All good points of thought. Thanks.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

LightningKimba posted:

That is a really weird way to spell "Kasumi". Also I can't see how anyone can honestly like Nagi when his character keeps changing every time the writers remember he exists (which is very, very rarely anyways). At this point I have no idea what he is or why he even exists beyond needing a fifth. And when he does get the spotlight, he tends to be annoying, which doesn't help.

I mean he's still better than Takaharu but that's not exactly a big achievement. Reminds me a lot of Moune, really, in how both are Yellows with inconsistent personalities and very little spotlight.

Talking about big, now Takaharu even gets the robot fights. This is ridiculous and I laughed.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Kasumi's character is likeable enough, she's the practical one and actually acts like it, but her actress is boring and lacks charisma. I like Fuuka and Yakumo, along with the two adults of course.

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:
Just chiming in to say Ankh is the best part of OOO. The worst is Eiji's fashion sense.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Cliff Racer posted:

Kasumi's character is likeable enough, she's the practical one and actually acts like it, but her actress is boring and lacks charisma. I like Fuuka and Yakumo, along with the two adults of course.

that's kind of interesting to me. I thought that Kasumi's actor does a pretty good job being saddled with the role of 'technically the most competent Ninninger but constantly shown up by Takaharu because it's his show', but Fuuka, Ninja Dad, and Ninja Granddad are all really good, I'll support that.

The villains have been a little lackluster to be honest. Like Ariake No Kata is just not as good as Noire was, at all, and has nothing going for her other then 'shrill lady who is also vaguely competent at fighting', and the fact that every General currently was so much stronger then Gabi Raizou makes me wonder why the gently caress he even existed anyway. It's like the opposite of Schwarz who was clearly a physical threat even late into the game; Gabi was brought up as the best warrior in Kibaoni's troops or something, he was the First Sword, but every other big bad person is a better fighter then him.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Ariake no Kata and Tsugomori are charming to me at least, just for the fact that they're trolling Kyuuemon all day. :allears:

Also I do like Kasumi as well, especially for being one of the few pinks I know who's legit fun and likeable. I feel pinks are hit-or-miss in terms of being fun or just The Girl.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Stallion Cabana posted:

that's kind of interesting to me. I thought that Kasumi's actor does a pretty good job being saddled with the role of 'technically the most competent Ninninger but constantly shown up by Takaharu because it's his show', but Fuuka, Ninja Dad, and Ninja Granddad are all really good, I'll support that.

The villains have been a little lackluster to be honest. Like Ariake No Kata is just not as good as Noire was, at all, and has nothing going for her other then 'shrill lady who is also vaguely competent at fighting', and the fact that every General currently was so much stronger then Gabi Raizou makes me wonder why the gently caress he even existed anyway. It's like the opposite of Schwarz who was clearly a physical threat even late into the game; Gabi was brought up as the best warrior in Kibaoni's troops or something, he was the First Sword, but every other big bad person is a better fighter then him.

When they said best warrior of his troops, they meant the footsoldiers.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Rent-a-Bot posted:

Just chiming in to say Ankh is the best part of OOO. The worst is Eiji's fashion sense.

nah the worst part of OOO's is the fight choreography/usage of gimmicks(or rather lack thereof)/everything involving the Pterodactyl Yummies beyond OOO's killing the crap out of them

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

drrockso20 posted:

nah the worst part of OOO's is the fight choreography/usage of gimmicks(or rather lack thereof)/everything involving the Pterodactyl Yummies beyond OOO's killing the crap out of them

Speaking of fight choreography.. I just noticed this the other day...

Ever since 555 the lead Rider has had this little thing he did with his right hand every now and then, where he'd give it a little flick or he'd tense it up before he did something. But I think that after Decade this quirk almost completely went away. Have they changed suit actors or something?

maybeflan
May 15, 2014

Gearhead posted:

Ever since 555 the lead Rider has had this little thing he did with his right hand every now and then, where he'd give it a little flick or he'd tense it up before he did something. But I think that after Decade this quirk almost completely went away. Have they changed suit actors or something?

Seiji Takaiwa's been the main suit actor from Agito to Drive with the exception of Hibiki. He was MagiRed in Magiranger for that period apparently.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Gearhead posted:

I don't think it really went away, I recall both W and Drive doing it for one thing, and while Gaim himself doesn't do the hand flick from what I recall, I do believe several other Riders in that show do

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Maybe that's what threw me off. Gaim.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I still think Purple Form was a mistake on OOOs part. Since it couldnt' swap armor pieces with the other Riders, it should have been able to break the gimick further.

You could make the arguement that EITHER the T-Rex or the Triceratops could work just as well for the head, Pterodactyl works just fine for the chest or legs, and T-Rex can also work for legs.

Imagine being able to swap those around on the fly? Then you could get a kaiju-esque Rider who has a T-rex head, pterodactyl wings and talons, and the lower body of a triceratops.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I've never wanted a ranger to die as much as Takaharu. He's legit worse than Jan.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Burkion posted:

I still think Purple Form was a mistake on OOOs part. Since it couldnt' swap armor pieces with the other Riders, it should have been able to break the gimick further.

You could make the arguement that EITHER the T-Rex or the Triceratops could work just as well for the head, Pterodactyl works just fine for the chest or legs, and T-Rex can also work for legs.

Imagine being able to swap those around on the fly? Then you could get a kaiju-esque Rider who has a T-rex head, pterodactyl wings and talons, and the lower body of a triceratops.

Also a Pterodactyl chest would mean that when Purple Form flies it wouldn't do it with doofy little head wings.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Stallion Cabana posted:

Also a Pterodactyl chest would mean that when Purple Form flies it wouldn't do it with doofy little head wings.

Yeah, just switching the body and head to make Triceratops/Pterodactyl/Tyrannosaurus would've been a lot better from a stuff-each-part-can-do perspective and we'd still get the rad "TYRANNOHISSAAAAAAATSU" call with the axegun.

ToPTyra is top tier. :downsrim:

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
PuToTyra was better looks wise than the unfortunate abomination that is Cyclone Joker Extreme :(

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Dre2Dee2 posted:

PuToTyra was better looks wise than the unfortunate abomination that is Cyclone Joker Extreme :(
It's pretty typical that the middle form looks better than the end one, isn't it?

Fang Joker, TaJaDor, Elec States (kind of), Kachidoki, even Formula once you see it in motion.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Kachidoki was soooo good.

maybeflan
May 15, 2014

Poison Mushroom posted:

It's pretty typical that the middle form looks better than the end one, isn't it?

Fang Joker, TaJaDor, Elec States (kind of), Kachidoki, even Formula once you see it in motion.

How do you forget Magnet States? Kengo starts to connect with Gentaro; shoulder-cannons; that one combo with Meteor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

maybeflan posted:

How do you forget Magnet States? Kengo starts to connect with Gentaro; shoulder-cannons; that one combo with Meteor.
I don't know how I forgot. Magnet States was rad, they just almost never used it.

• Locked thread