Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
This is what truly causes Sakurazuka to intensify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

It's me, I'm getting mad about ships in the Madoka thread

Who is your OTP?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Kyouko x apples

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Doublefisting burgers

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

littleorv posted:

Who is your OTP?

KyubeyxEveryone.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Namtab posted:

Kyouko x apples

Hell no kyouko belongs with pocky, keep your apples away from her.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

littleorv posted:

Who is your OTP?

Namtab posted:

Doublefisting burgers

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
i didn't think the dub was bad

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Jagchosis posted:

It's definitely not amazing either.

The issue I had with it is everyone sounds too high pitched. I think they were going for the pitch of the Japanese VAs, but it just doesn't work in English.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

It's definitely not amazing either.

The issue I had with it is everyone sounds too high pitched. I think they were going for the pitch of the Japanese VAs, but it just doesn't work in English.

i mean thats just how those women all talk, judging from them being in like literally every aniplex dub ever. they aren't affecting it to make it more moe or anything

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Jagchosis posted:

Girls can't love girls. Girls can't love girls! Girls can't love girls!

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

littleorv posted:

You're mine, Madoka! Mine mine mine!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

littleorv posted:

I was gonna post that but I was at work and couldn't check it was the right vid.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Sakurazuka posted:

I was gonna post that but I was at work and couldn't check it was the right vid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI9hgp32-f0

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

littleorv posted:

And this is evidence against the dub?

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

littleorv posted:

esselfortium posted:

And this is evidence against the dub?

an entry on my rapsheet from baal retiring and im proud of it. dont know how thats evidence of the dub being bad, it owns

e: also slightly differently translated in the gg subs i first watched but i liked the dub line from sayaka about homura being "so moe it makes me sick"

Homura and Sickle fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 26, 2015

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

In the dub the girls talk in a stilted, unnatural way. Koobie has too much emotion whereas dokes does not have enough.

Dubs are bad

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Namtab posted:

In the dub the girls talk in a stilted, unnatural way. Koobie has too much emotion whereas dokes does not have enough.

Dubs are bad

A pretty fair assessment of the dub.

There are some good dubs though, for instance Spice and Wolf had a pretty good Holo.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Namtab posted:

Dubs are bad

i didn't really have any problem or perceive that at all but if thats what you thought fair enough

then again im not an animes purist but i am a meduka super fan i've watched the madoka through about half as many times as lord justice has which shows incredible dedication

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4VGJmgeyCc

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
i also agree with his assessment that its the greatest work civilization has produced and that humanity should just call it quits while we're ahead

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm squeaky gaijin saku

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
What are the best meduka ships?

personally I believe that Madoka's dad is precisely what her teacher is looking for. No problems with how he likes his eggs.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 26, 2015

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

trucutru posted:

personally I believe that Madoka's dad is precisely what her teacher is looking for. No problems with how he likes his eggs.

1, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, and 13 are the best hairstyles, they represent the inner struggles of the meguca through character development

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I choose.....12

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

おさげ

I have learned a new word, and a new tag to search on pixiv.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

trucutru posted:

its obviously homura and madoka and anyone who disagrees i will fight you to the death

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009

trucutru posted:

Jagchosis posted:

its obviously homura and madoka and anyone who disagrees i will fight you to the death

I will second you my good man.

But I'm a Charlotte X Mami hipster. Before Rebellion made their friendship a coherent thing with a basis in events that happen, portraying them together was pleasingly contrarian.

But the secret OTP is obviously Charlotte and Kyouko given how much they have in common.

I've read various incoherent theories on other websites about how Rebellion mocks fan works and fan interests, but Charlotte/Bebe's elevation to an actual if poorly realised character is proof enough that Shinbo and co are kind of into that stuff. And as these things do, her canon portrayal as a magical girl takes away some of the charm of fans having free reign to depict her however they pleased.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Lestaki posted:

I've read various incoherent theories on other websites about how Rebellion mocks fan works and fan interests, but Charlotte/Bebe's elevation to an actual if poorly realised character is proof enough that Shinbo and co are kind of into that stuff. And as these things do, her canon portrayal as a magical girl takes away some of the charm of fans having free reign to depict her however they pleased.

while madoka is the flawless and never sexualized ever masterpiece of a da vinci lord justice says it is, i felt like the first 30 minutes of rebellion were indeed deliberately teasing fans who really liked the idea of "we're magical girls can't we all get along"

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009

Jagchosis posted:

while madoka is the flawless and never sexualized ever masterpiece of a da vinci lord justice says it is, i felt like the first 30 minutes of rebellion were indeed deliberately teasing fans who really liked the idea of "we're magical girls can't we all get along"

My read is that Shinbo and co are a bunch of dorks who also really like that idea and want to portray it, even if they turn away from it in the end to tell a more interesting story. The author's dead and all that but some of the interviews about the movie are pretty interesting in that sense.

quote:

You're saying that you've balanced out the happy world of the first half with the second half, when it's revealed that it was much like a dream.
SHINBO: Part of me felt that our viewers probably wanted to see that kind of world, from the first half. But some people have said that it was precisely the upbeat first half that creeped them out. That wasn't my intention; I just thought that it was nice to see that kind of world, too. But for Madoka Magica fans, that kind of world might be "somehow off or contrived." That was an unexpected effect, but I think that may be why it turned out to be such an unexpected title.

Either way, it's not as if you deliberately set out to create that sense of falseness, right?
SHINBO: That's right. because I wanted to see that scene where everyone's working together in battle. (...)

Would you say that it's because the characters are so well-developed that you can get into that "We can do more!" mode?
SHINBO: The fact that the fans nurtured these characters played a major role in that. We threw something over to them, and the fans threw it back to us. These characters were raised through our game of catch with the fans. It's not that the characters got developed because we created them; they were developed depending on what the fans' reactions to them was. They don't seem like ready-made characters. Being able to do that is one of the virtues of an original title. Without that, we never wouldn't been able to make a sequel film out of nowhere.

And it doesn't have that "We just made this into a movie because the series was so popular" feel, either.
SHINBO: Yes. That's why I think a case could be made that the world of the first half of the story might have been created by the fans. Sayaka and Kyoko battling side by side was also something that the fans wanted to see. We were able to do it because the fans watched the TV series and nurtured these characters. I think Mr. Urobuchi was watching the fans' reactions pretty closely himself. I do believe that it must be reflected in the story. (...)

I think Rebellion has a lot of that kind of 'fanservice' and I don't really see it as particularly ironic or anything.

https://wiki.puella-magi.net/Rebellion_Material_Book Lot more interesting stuff in here.

Ultimately, the movie turns away from that pandering tone and is far better for it in the end, but I do think they embraced the chance to explore, if only in passing, what a happy world where the girls could fight together without trouble would look like.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Lestaki posted:

My read is that Shinbo and co are a bunch of dorks who also really like that idea and want to portray it, even if they turn away from it in the end to tell a more interesting story. The author's dead and all that but some of the interviews about the movie are pretty interesting in that sense.

I think Rebellion has a lot of that kind of 'fanservice' and I don't really see it as particularly ironic or anything.

https://wiki.puella-magi.net/Rebellion_Material_Book Lot more interesting stuff in here.

Ultimately, the movie turns away from that pandering tone and is far better for it in the end, but I do think they embraced the chance to explore, if only in passing, what a happy world where the girls could fight together without trouble would look like.

Man, everything I've read about Shinbo (which granted, isn't much at all) makes him seem like a pretty cool and chill guy

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

trucutru posted:

Now give her Giorno's hair

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

おさげ

I have learned a new word, and a new tag to search on pixiv.

I see that you never watched Ranma 1/2 in its glorious :japan: version.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

trucutru posted:

I see that you never watched Ranma 1/2 in its glorious :japan: version.

To be fair, osage-no-onna wore a braid and not, uh, the other kind of pigtails.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Lestaki posted:

saw this in that link:

its kind of charming what a disgusting pervert ume aoki is

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
She is a wonderful person corrupted by Gen Urobuchi.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mordaedil posted:

The more pure and innocent something is, the more satisfying it is to corrupt it.

Kohaku is my spirit animal

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
btw this owns, main songs from the soundtrack covered by a mandolin orchestra

the female guitar and bass players wearing homura ribbons is :3: as gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0yXutDkP_c

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

PerrineClostermann posted:

The more pure and innocent something is, the more satisfying it is to corrupt it.

Kohaku is my spirit animal

Indeed. Watching her other anime shows is a bit of a gleeful experience.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

as posted earlier in this thread she corrupted herself

she is very enthusiastic about the secondary sexual characteristics of teenage girls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
That's all her, sure. The murderous spree thing is a new thing though.

• Locked thread