Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

stoutfish posted:

can we talk about how bernie sanders has the nomination locked up or no

He has a good shot at New Hampshire and maybe even Iowa, which is really cool IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Can we put more time and energy into deciding which of the candidates is more "beta"? I think that will be a cool and useful thing to do.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Nessus posted:

Can we put more time and energy into deciding which of the candidates is more "beta"? I think that will be a cool and useful thing to do.

I think Jeb! has that one all sewn up.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

RZApublican posted:

I think Jeb! has that one all tied up.

Ted Cruz and Rand Paul are trying their best

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Nessus posted:

Theres two steps to policy..having good ideas, and them getting them implemented. Figure out the rest of why personality and temperament might be important in a president.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

full communism now

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Beep boop make the numbers add up on paper and everything will be great - the millennial generation

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Tautologicus posted:

For now. He's barely laid into the Democrats so far and he has another year to do it.

Anyone who is still "entertained" by a Trump candidacy.

The people who don't vote in the Republican primary are not going to vote Donald Trump into the Oval Office. It's certainly possible the Republican base is dumb enough to think otherwise though, and if they do believe that, the wailing and gnashing of teeth when they are disabused of that bit of stupidity will leave a smile on my face that will be broad enough that the top of my head will be in risk of falling off. Trump will never be President, we don't live in a country that broken.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Tautologicus posted:

Theres two steps to policy..having good ideas, and them getting them implemented. Figure out the rest of why personality and temperament might be important in a president.
Yeah, Trump is high in fearless dominance, and Jeb! clearly isn't. There's some cool papers on fearless dominance from Scott Lilienfeld:

Fearless Dominance and the U.S. Presidency: Implications of Psychopathic Personality Traits for Successful and Unsuccessful Political Leadership (the pdf is here)

Correlates of psychopathic personality traits in everyday life: results from a large community survey

Warning: to the best of my knowledge, this seems like old-school psychology without any cognitive neuroscience / fMRI support yet, so it's not yet fixed knowledge.

...so, tell me. This was a cool post:

Dahn posted:

More than 50% of the delegates are handed out proportionally, only the states after Mar 15 can be winner take all.
[...]
I'm not saying its impossible for Trump to win, just very hard.

It was nice to see some numbers. I have some questions:

- Are the 'winner take all' states obligatory winner take all, or can they still choose to do proportionate assignment of the delegates?
- Can more states do that Colorado trick of cancelling the caucus altogether?

Basically, what are the ways in which the Republican establishment can fudge the nomination process despite Trump polling at, let's say, 35%? Because a lot of people say they can do that, but I'd love to have an idea how.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tautologicus posted:

GOP voters are not like some dumber version of regular voters sorry to say.

No, they've just accelerated Trump towards an absolute majority in primary polling based on his ability to deliver sick burns alone. They are older and whiter.

Tautologicus posted:

I say this as someone who has addressed numerous "i believe it even if its wrong" posts in this very thread.

Posts like "Trump will win?" He's ruined any relationship he had with demographic groups holding fairly significant sway over the general election when taken together.

Tautologicus posted:

Democrats don't have a monopoly, or even a strong showing, in the truth market. It's all partisanship. So I disagree, it's all who comes off best (and Palin came off like a dumb broad while Ryan sank his ship in the debate against Biden, and why are you mentioning these people anyway, they have nothing to do with Trump's appeal.)

And "best" as it's come to pass in the GOP primary is who can fling the smelliest poo poo at the farthest wall. Politically, they're departing from dialogue on policy and just going gung-ho on white, suburban identity talk. No plan to wrangle ISIS or re-negotiate with Iran, no plan to replace the PPACA after they repeal it, just screamed objections at everything all the way down with no attempt at even creating an alternative. That is something that sunk Rmoney in 2012 and the party has only gotten worse since.

Tautologicus posted:

But personally I am looking to see some fire from Sanders, that's what the general election really needs, taking the entrenched and complacent system to task from both sides.

Well maybe after being taken to task from both sides there will be some truth, in the middle, as it were.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Carson is the ultimate beta candidate come on

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Man the only guy who agrees with me that "a leader must be strong otherwise they're just an administrator" needed to see scientific studies first in order to go along with it. This fuckin thread im not waiting for a fuckin MRI to see something thats obvious

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Someone with a radical agenda must have a radical personality. To me thats also obvious..sorry Sanders. Radical meaning anything incredibly outside the normal way of doing things, whether or not its incredibly obvious to its believers

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Who's the most alpha D&D poster???

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Baloogan. By far.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

echronorian posted:

Carson is the ultimate beta candidate come on

Not while Jeb exists. He's practically wriggling like a puppy in his desperation to get the base to like him. All those contortions over anchor babies, it's embarrassing, or it would be if the man had any self-worth.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Tautologicus posted:

Someone with a radical agenda must have a radical personality. To me thats also obvious..sorry Sanders. Radical meaning anything incredibly outside the normal way of doing things, whether or not its incredibly obvious to its believers

Finally, someone's speaking REAL TRUTH in this thread! We need PEOPLE to stop!! Being AFRAID of saying what everyone is thinking with their HEARTS AND SOULS!!!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Peztopiary posted:

Not while Jeb exists. He's practically wriggling like a puppy in his desperation to get the base to like him. All those contortions over anchor babies, it's embarrassing, or it would be if the man had any self-worth.

At least his fuckups are spoken loudly. Carson just talks like he's got some deep-seated soul guilt poo poo that saps all conviction from his words.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Rexicon1 posted:

Finally, someone's speaking REAL TRUTH in this thread! We need PEOPLE to stop!! Being AFRAID of saying what everyone is thinking with their HEARTS AND SOULS!!!
If you were a real alpha you would have posted that while impregnating his mother! Only the Trumpfather can lead us away from the crippling fear of our own powerlessness!

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Rexicon1 posted:

Well said, young millenial

Nessus posted:

If you were a real alpha you would have posted that while impregnating his mother! Only the Trumpfather can lead us away from the crippling fear of our own powerlessness!

Kinda overdoing it don't you think?

the worst thing is fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Aug 26, 2015

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Tautologicus posted:

Man the only guy who agrees with me that "a leader must be strong otherwise they're just an administrator" needed to see scientific studies first in order to go along with it. This fuckin thread im not waiting for a fuckin MRI to see something thats obvious
But I don't agree with you... in full. I think that this is one thing that's really loving with non-rich-white-men people. I'm not even a particularly 'strong' person, but even so, as a woman, I've been called bossy, demanding, opinionated, aggressive, entitled and, yes, bitch, so many times in my life that I've lost count years ago.

Younger women still have it relatively easy. I mean, a lot of people are calling Clinton shady. Myself, I'm thinking, it's possible that her prior life experiences have soured her on projecting herself aggressively. So, she's stuck in that old thought loop where if she's open and aggressive, she's a bitch, and if she's not, she's shady and dishonest.

e: this is not to say that her fundamentals are all good, I'm just saying that unconscious perception stuff can exacerbate bad fundamentals much more for some people than for others. Nothing too enlightening.

meristem fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Aug 26, 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tautologicus posted:

Kinda overdoing it don't you think?

:lol: too much for you to handle?

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
D&D posters are the worst people I've ever encountered on the internet.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

FAUXTON posted:

:lol: too much for you to handle?

Yea i mean i could find a way to respond but whats the point, like hacking through a jungle of snark with a machete

meristem posted:

But I don't agree with you... in full. I think that this is one thing that's really loving with non-rich-white-men people. I'm not even a particularly 'strong' person, but even so, as a woman, I've been called bossy, demanding, opinionated, aggressive, entitled and, yes, bitch, so many times in my life that I've lost count years ago.

Younger women still have it relatively easy. I mean, a lot of people are calling Clinton shady. Myself, I'm thinking, it's possible that her prior life experiences have soured her on projecting herself aggressively. So, she's stuck in that old thought loop where if she's open and aggressive, she's a bitch, and if she's not, she's shady and dishonest.

e: this is not to say that her fundamentals are all good, I'm just saying that unconscious perception stuff can exacerbate bad fundamentals much more for some people than for others. Nothing too enlightening.

I never once used the word aggression, i think conviction and force of will matters more than that. Its what margaret thatcher had for example, if we want to get into successful female leaders. She had her own version. I dont buy into this whole "women are expected to be a certain way" thing, its more that less women are interested in having a set of principles to stick to and fight for, dunno what they do instead but it's not that. Cause any strong woman will smash the stereotypes real quick. There have been strong female leaders throughout history, even in some of the most "patriarchal" of times. When people see a glimmer of political strength they make way for it. If people don't listen it means they don't have it.

the worst thing is fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Aug 26, 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tautologicus posted:

Yea i mean i could find a way to respond but whats the point, like hacking through a jungle of snark with a machete

Just say three nice things about them and then say they're a disaster. 47% of the time, it works every time.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
hey guys exclamation marx made a hillary gangtag get in on ground floor of hillary crew

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Mitt Romney posted:

Not sure what you're saying about reality- Cain and Perry both approached 30% and then crashed.

neither perry nor cain ran in 2008 :ssh:

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

FAUXTON posted:

Just say three nice things about them and then say they're a disaster. 47% of the time, it works every time.

Oh you think im a trump/repub shill, ok. Guess youre not my audience

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

NotWearingPants posted:

Yet here you are in D&D-lite. Also, you are sheltered as hell if you're actually serious. I mean, neo-reactionary forums are a thing, never mind the Singularity adherents.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

NotWearingPants posted:

they are pretty bad but yeah there is worse

bring back lf

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tautologicus posted:

Oh you think im a trump/repub shill, ok. Guess youre not my audience

:allears: And so the trumptrain, gold and yooge, limped into mainstreamville where it was suddenly fashionable to slight the beast as oh-so-passé.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Aliquid posted:

neither perry nor cain ran in 2008 :ssh:

I didn't say they ran in 2008. Many candidates without party support, in 2008 and 2012, reached 20-30% and then flamed out, just like Trump will.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mitt Romney posted:

I didn't say they ran in 2008. Many candidates without party support, in 2008 and 2012, reached 20-30% and then flamed out, just like Trump will.

Make way for Jeb!

FAUXTON posted:

:allears: And so the trumptrain, gold and yooge, limped into mainstreamville where it was suddenly fashionable to slight the beast as oh-so-passé.

Please dont make that face at me youre not my mom

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

:allears:

Mitt Romney posted:

Were they in a field this large? Self-funded on a national campaign scale? Poaching hires from other campaigns? Getting 75% of the airtime?

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
trump wont win but heres hoping he runs 3rd party and ruins whats left of the gop's chances

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

FAUXTON posted:

:allears:

Were they in a field this large? Self-funded on a national campaign scale? Poaching hires from other campaigns? Getting 75% of the airtime?

Losing Roger Stone and other key staff and replacing them with Perry campaign leftovers isn't exactly a net positive for Trump.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Mitt Romney posted:

Losing Roger Stone and other key staff and replacing them with Perry campaign leftovers isn't exactly a net positive for Trump.

his entire gimmick is firing people, over the course of the campaign he will hire and fire every republican strategist and it will be revealed this was actually the new season of the apprentice

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Mitt Romney posted:

He didn't lose Stone, he spurned him as unworthy of building the Trump Tower, presumably because Stone tried to rein him in. A staffer who doesn't share your vision is a traitor in waiting.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

i think it is foolish to make strong predictions at this point, for even the very wise do not know all ends -gandalf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

TEAYCHES posted:

i think it is foolish to make strong predictions at this point, for even the very wise do not know all ends -gandalf

Trump is the balrog, GOP is gandalf saying you shall not pass

• Locked thread