Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Pretty sure he'll keep posting regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.

quote:

For those of us that are video challanged, have low band width ISP's or epelepsy disco balls has become a nuicense.

Better keep this in case we need to make another quotes image.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I want to know how disco uses up all their bandwidth.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

It's almost like they're making poo poo up to try and add legitimacy to their hatred of fun.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

DancingShade posted:

The particles are rendered with the power of the cloud.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

DancingShade posted:

Well, when the server sends out update information for entity locations, it now needs to send additional information for the new entity.

Something on the order of ten (I think) bits describing the entity to spawn, 12 bits for the unique ID (if that's applicable to props like disco balls), and (I think) 33 bits describing the location for the client to render the new asset, which amounts to a whopping 55 bits of information, and it needs to send that massive packet once for each and every prop we ebil denalts spawn.

Why, we could calculate the actual financial cost of our campaign of terror. On dialup to a BBS in the mid-late 80's, for example, our acts of barbarous disco would have cost literally tenths of a cent per afflicted client in bandwidth alone*. On a 300 baud acoustic coupler, as used by 9 out of 10 persons suffering from photosensitive epilepsy, each disco ball would create ~210ms of lag (parity bits needs to be added). For those pubbies playing STO with their uber 1337 gaming PCs with dual cassette drives and a 1200BPS serial modem, that figure is a still-totally-unacceptable 53ms of lag. You monsters.

Note that all of that information (and more!) needs to be sent for any entities spawned. Like other players and NPCs. I wonder when the pubbies are going to start complaining about the lag those things cause and demanding that they be removed from ~their immersive role playing experience~?

*: Assuming $5/MB and 100 disco balls seen per gaming session.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

IPCRESS posted:

Note that all of that information (and more!) needs to be sent for any entities spawned. Like other players and NPCs. I wonder when the pubbies are going to start complaining about the lag those things cause and demanding that they be removed from ~their immersive role playing experience~?

Remove evil denalts, their unclean thoughts produce lag.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

Korgan posted:

It's almost like they're making poo poo up to try and add legitimacy to their hatred of fun.

That's exactly what they're doing. They can't simply say "I hate this," because no one gives a poo poo, so they have to create bigger issues that might get dev attention (but they're pubbies so they gently caress it up).

That's the only explanation as to why epilepsy is such a big concern suddenly, cause you know NONE of them actually have it.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If epilepsy was a genuine concern you'd have heard about it long, long ago when the first one did space combat.

Or god forbid, entered crystal advanced and saw the avalanche of differently colored particle effects.

It's ok, I'm sure we can form a snap team of "epilepsy" assistance technicians who believe treatments are best done through aversion therapy.

Because we can use joke science too. :smuggo:

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

DancingShade posted:

If epilepsy was a genuine concern you'd have heard about it long, long ago when the first one did space combat.

Or god forbid, entered crystal advanced and saw the avalanche of differently colored particle effects.

It's ok, I'm sure we can form a snap team of "epilepsy" assistance technicians who believe treatments are best done through aversion therapy.

Because we can use joke science too. :smuggo:

I am actually epileptic and the disco balls don't do poo poo for me. They scream 'THINK OF THE EPILEPTICS' but the game already has a loving epilepsy warning and not every person suffering from it is affected the same way by the same poo poo, and not all epilepsy is the photosensitive kind. Not to mention anyone with epilepsy who plays videogames knows the loving risk since it's been blasted in our faces for years.

I know they're bullshitting to try to add legitimacy but gently caress sakes, people.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Korgan posted:

I'm running a special program to detect bullshit and you're spiking it.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back

IPCRESS posted:

Well, when the server sends out update information for entity locations, it now needs to send additional information for the new entity.

Something on the order of ten (I think) bits describing the entity to spawn, 12 bits for the unique ID (if that's applicable to props like disco balls), and (I think) 33 bits describing the location for the client to render the new asset, which amounts to a whopping 55 bits of information, and it needs to send that massive packet once for each and every prop we ebil denalts spawn.

Why, we could calculate the actual financial cost of our campaign of terror. On dialup to a BBS in the mid-late 80's, for example, our acts of barbarous disco would have cost literally tenths of a cent per afflicted client in bandwidth alone*. On a 300 baud acoustic coupler, as used by 9 out of 10 persons suffering from photosensitive epilepsy, each disco ball would create ~210ms of lag (parity bits needs to be added). For those pubbies playing STO with their uber 1337 gaming PCs with dual cassette drives and a 1200BPS serial modem, that figure is a still-totally-unacceptable 53ms of lag. You monsters.

*: Assuming $5/MB and 100 disco balls seen per gaming session.

As somebody that actually had an 8mhz AT with a kickass brand new 1200bps modem (US Robotics > *) and a Hercules Video Card (because who the gently caress could afford an EGA setup *with* a color monitor), I got a chuckle out of this. Well played :)

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

<chuckle>

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

gibbed posted:

The particles are rendered with the power of my butt.

What the hell? Oh wait, sorry forgot I had this on.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Still applies. :v:

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime
Freaking lol, Lina is jumping on the "ban all dentals, remove party amps" train. Look at this brilliant post:

quote:

You guys got this all wrong .... the reason why disco balls are being used like this is because a certain fleet which I cannot name is exploiting them so that girls who role play cannot go to Drozana and dance and role play and have fun. these people are up to their old tricks. They will find other exploits and use them to stop role players from role playing. They are causing this game to spend time fixing something that shouldn't have to be fixed .. I tried to expose these people before but all I got was shunned. maybe now the devs can see this as a provocation and ban these people from the game.. cause they are here to do no good.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1202598/never-ending-party-amplifiers/p2

Cursedwolf is also pondering a secret dev-dental connection where the devs are out to ruin the game and piss off the players and we're their proxy minions. Like the devs even need our help in that department. Not you, though, Trendy, we adore you.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
So Tetryon now gets about 20% bonus damage from sets and things. 8% from Nukara, 12% from Krenim. I'm suddenly vaguely curious; how does it compare to other such things? How many odd energy/damage mods are there? I mean, I know Plasma has dozens at this point. And almost every energy type has one these days...

FrostyJones
Sep 23, 2012
Disruptors have a few: Elachi Heavy Cannon + Bio-Neural Circuits, 8472 Heavy Turret + some other console from that set, also boosts the biomolecular proc chances and damage. It's less than that Tetryon set, but has more utility. But uh, if those are the kinda space lasers you like to shoot, go ham.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

DonDoodles posted:

Freaking lol, Lina is jumping on the "ban all dentals, remove party amps" train. Look at this brilliant post:

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1202598/never-ending-party-amplifiers/p2

Cursedwolf is also pondering a secret dev-dental connection where the devs are out to ruin the game and piss off the players and we're their proxy minions. Like the devs even need our help in that department. Not you, though, Trendy, we adore you.

Mods shut that one down, they've moved on to talking about buffing the nullifier and trying to avoid saying 'amplifier' or 'discoball' in a vain attempt to avoid the 'stop talking about discoballs you autists' rule.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
I decided to update my forum sig in honour of the eternal disco:

Grimrak has already complained about it lagging his pc but it's not caused any epileptic fits as of yeasdsrafgvbvcnnvnnnb-

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Aleth posted:

I decided to update my forum sig in honour of the eternal disco:

Grimrak has already complained about it lagging his pc but it's not caused any epileptic fits as of yeasdsrafgvbvcnnvnnnb-

Posting .gifs is slowing my internet down so please stop

no my internet is not lovely it is the best australia has to offer stop trolling me by posting .gifs you loving DENALTS TROLLS gently caress YOU DELETE THIS

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

Korgan posted:

Posting .gifs is slowing my internet down so please stop

no my internet is not lovely it is the best australia has to offer stop trolling me by posting .gifs you loving DENALTS TROLLS gently caress YOU DELETE THIS

Do you pronounce it as "gif" or "gif"? Or perhaps something else entirely?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I've said it multiple times in the past, but the sheer unrelenting rage that the perpetual disco causes just... completely baffles me. The assorted blatant sperging on channels or creepy fetish RP bios in Drozana or whatever I can at least... comprehend as the product of various mental and social issues. But this is... it's a disco ball. There's colored lights, characters dance a bit, that's it. Nothing happens. How fundamentally broken do you have to be at human interaction that you spend weeks and months yelling and insulting people in public fora over it? It speaks of some fundamental breakdown in human interaction that you could probably do entire doctorates around. :psyduck:

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
It's that they want to make sto their own, perfect fantasy world where everything happens as they want it to. An outsider coming into that and doing anything that interferes with their sanctuary, be it a disco ball or simply standing around in view of them, simply breaks it. Think of it like a kid who throws a tantrum at their own birthday party because someone else won pass the parcel on their special day.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, I guess I should have assumed it was something along those lines. Though there I have to wonder why someone like that is even playing an MMO...

I guess, in the end in STO, everything comes back to crippling autism.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Asimo posted:

I've said it multiple times in the past, but the sheer unrelenting rage that the perpetual disco causes just... completely baffles me. The assorted blatant sperging on channels or creepy fetish RP bios in Drozana or whatever I can at least... comprehend as the product of various mental and social issues. But this is... it's a disco ball. There's colored lights, characters dance a bit, that's it. Nothing happens. How fundamentally broken do you have to be at human interaction that you spend weeks and months yelling and insulting people in public fora over it? It speaks of some fundamental breakdown in human interaction that you could probably do entire doctorates around. :psyduck:

Years. They've spent years raging over it.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime
Two years. First it was the rape- er, I mean, dancing that upset them, and when they got their nullifier, I remember all the forums posts and PMs I got from pubbies going "take THAT, trolls! One less troll toy for you to grief with!"

Fast forward like a year and now everyone has a nullifier, but those God drat lights are the problem now. What if I have undiagnosed epilepsy? What if it fries my windows 95 gateway desktop?

Even if they do remove the lights it'll take the pubs a few weeks before they start demanding someone else be changed because they can't control it. I remember one time I made an alt and went in Quark's to RP as a night janitor.

When I RP vacuumed the floor several pubs got legitimately pissed off because the fake noise from the fake vacuum was disrupting their "date night." So I decided to have the vacuum hose get clogged near their table, and they loving flipped out. It's ridiculous how something like *switches vacuum on and pushes it back and forth over the carpet* caused that much rage in someone simply because they couldn't control every aspect of their game experience.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

DonDoodles posted:

Two years. First it was the rape- er, I mean, dancing that upset them, and when they got their nullifier, I remember all the forums posts and PMs I got from pubbies going "take THAT, trolls! One less troll toy for you to grief with!"

Fast forward like a year and now everyone has a nullifier, but those God drat lights are the problem now. What if I have undiagnosed epilepsy? What if it fries my windows 95 gateway desktop?

Even if they do remove the lights it'll take the pubs a few weeks before they start demanding someone else be changed because they can't control it. I remember one time I made an alt and went in Quark's to RP as a night janitor.

When I RP vacuumed the floor several pubs got legitimately pissed off because the fake noise from the fake vacuum was disrupting their "date night." So I decided to have the vacuum hose get clogged near their table, and they loving flipped out. It's ridiculous how something like *switches vacuum on and pushes it back and forth over the carpet* caused that much rage in someone simply because they couldn't control every aspect of their game experience.

cabezadetortuga wrote: »
If those fake snowballs occupy a single nanosecond of my time without my explicit consent, then yes, they do have a real world effect.

As for throwing snowballs at people IRL, if the target does not consent to having a snowball thrown at them, then the legal definition for throwing a snowball at that person is assault and battery.

----

colonelmarik wrote: »
Whether you want to admit it or not, what is happening when someone is being victimized by these snowballs is an ASSAULT. No, not directly a physical assault, but it is a deliberate effort to cause discomfort or distress to another person for your own amusement.

That is NEVER alright.

It baffles me that Cryptic continues to put these things into the game when they have to deal with this exact same outcry EVERY SINGLE TIME they do it.

It's not the real world, but the other players who are complaining about this ARE REAL PEOPLE who are not enjoying it. To me, at least, there's no difference between doing this in a game to upset me, or doing it in the real world to upset me. It's not acceptable either way, and it has to stop.

And don't tell me to lighten up. You have NO right to dictate to me how I am to have fun, and you have NO right to have your fun at my expense, particularly when I have objected to it.

----

colonelmarik wrote: »
And you see, you're all trivializing the fact, IGNORING the fact, that something is being done to me that I do not want you doing to me.

THAT IS AN ASSAULT.

Whether it's something physical or something in the game, it's the SAME THING (in principle, of course).

You do not have the right to do ANYTHING to me that I don't want you doing. It's just that simple.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Aug 26, 2015

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, before the discoball rage it was the snowball rage. Maybe next year we can get them to add beach balls.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Aleth posted:

Yeah, before the discoball rage it was the snowball rage. Maybe next year we can get them to add beach balls.

T-Shirt cannons, please.

e: With knockback.

XBenedict fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Aug 26, 2015

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Aleth posted:

Guess we'll have to send Butts and aotc back to Cryptic HQ with more ice cream so we can get snowballs to have knockdown again.

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

Asimo posted:

in STO, everything comes back to crippling autism.

That should totally be the title for the thread.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Korgan posted:

Guess we'll have to send Butts and aotc back to snowball Cryptic.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

Korgan posted:

Guess we'll have to send Butts and aotc back to Cryptic HQ with more ice cream so we can get snowballs to have knockdown again.

There is no winter event without snowballs.

My favorite complaint about snowballs came from Grom when, after we attended one of his shows during the winter event, he ran to the forums and threatened to leave the game and take all his fans with him.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

hakimashou posted:

cabezadetortuga wrote: »
If those fake snowballs occupy a single nanosecond of my time without my explicit consent, then yes, they do have a real world effect.

It's like they don't even know they're playing a multiplayer videogame.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
If only they would add a fart emote with animation, particle effects, and noises.

Especially if the animation involved doing the Running Man briefly before the actual fart.

That would be the dream.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime
Looks like Massively has decided to belatedly bring their attention to the issue:

http://massivelyop.com/2015/08/26/star-trek-online-bug-creates-neverending-party/

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

John Dyne posted:

If only they would add a fart emote with animation, particle effects, and noises.

Especially if the animation involved doing the Running Man briefly before the actual fart.

That would be the dream.

You could try apb. Its cops v criminals and the cops have the option to use non-lethal stunguns. If you stun someone you kneel them down and handcuff then and you can fart emote in their faces before they despawn. It invariably causes apocalyptic rage.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Goofballs posted:

You could try apb. Its cops v criminals and the cops have the option to use non-lethal stunguns. If you stun someone you kneel them down and handcuff then and you can fart emote in their faces before they despawn. It invariably causes apocalyptic rage.

I used to play an online game called I think Swat3 or Swat4 where you could taser people and pepper spray them and hand cuff them and poo poo.

You could stun lock your team mates by tasering them over and over, and spray your team mates with spray.

There was also a pepper spray ball paintball gun you could hose your teammates down with.

It was a really good game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Goofballs posted:

Yeah but there's no pirate cat girls in bikinis in that game.

At least, as far as I'm aware. I haven't touched it in forever.

• Locked thread