Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I read that USA did a marketing study and all the middle aged women watching BN wanted more story and less mission of the week episodes, hence the change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back
I hope in season two that Elliot hacks the HVAC of the USA Networks archive vaults.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I liked the whole 'Fiona is in the IRA' aspect of Burn Notice. It's like having a show in 2030 where the female lead is an active member of ISIS and it's no big deal.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

GreenNight posted:

I read that USA did a marketing study and all the middle aged women watching BN wanted more story and less mission of the week episodes, hence the change.

For real? Link? Or am I getting trolled :ohdear:

Let's not forget we had Bruce "motherfucking" Campbell.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Holyshoot posted:

For real? Link? Or am I getting trolled :ohdear:

Let's not forget we had Bruce "motherfucking" Campbell.

No, it's legit. No link because I read about it in the middle of season 6. Burn Notice was my jam when it was on.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
I gave this a shot the other night because I have a friend who would not shut the gently caress up about Mr. Robot and I have to say it's been sort of a mixed bag up to the point I've gotten (episode four). The show feels more canny than smart; getting things like the grisly details of "real hacking" correct is nice, but it's a tough sell imagining Elliot would ever have gotten good enough at socializing to engineer some of the situations he puts himself in/winds up in, and little details keep sorta sucking me out of the narrative if only because the show itself seems to encourage this sort of consumption. Christian Slater/Mr. Robot being imaginary feels tremendously telegraphed to the point of comedy; I'll probably keep watching to see how it winds up, but if that's destined to be some sort of clever twist, I'll be disappointed.

That said, as far as protagonists go, Elliot is more than mildly compelling, and the actor portraying him does an excellent job of hovering just between "vacant sociopath" and "genuinely maladjusted dude who's trying, at least." The behavior they outlined in the opening episodes - that he hacks others as a means of proxy intimacy - is a conceit I would think worthy of a show completely by itself, albeit not something in the typical keep-making-episodes-until-they-stop-watching USA Network vein. The more we seem to get involved in the "main" plot, the more I find myself wishing this wasn't a show about vigilante hacktivism and was instead about the way that the internet (and the ways we interface with it) have irrevocably changed the way we socialize, and not always for the better. Elliot's arrogance and complexes do seem to get as much external characterization as internal, though, and I find the whole show so far to be engrossing for stretches, but periodically I'll just find myself going "... c'mon," and not in a good way.

This has exceeded my expectations, though, I'll say that. It's pretty loving watchable, and better than anything I've seen on USA for a while. It feels like a more substantive Suits, or what I remember of that show - central premise that probably can't hold up in the long term, interesting characters who embody archetypes and tropes but effectively enough that you don't care, stylish as all poo poo.

e: gently caress Darlene, though

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Watch more episodes. The hacktivism sort of takes a bit of a backseat for a while.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I liked the whole 'Fiona is in the IRA' aspect of Burn Notice. It's like having a show in 2030 where the female lead is an active member of ISIS and it's no big deal.

I randomly watched an episode of Burn Notice with my mom (she was a big fan) and it was the one where Michael convinced some gang members that he was the devil. That was enough to sell me then and there.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

guts and bolts posted:

e: gently caress Darlene, though

OH GOD NO DON'T :stare:

Woden
May 6, 2006

guts and bolts posted:

I gave this a shot the other night because I have a friend who would not shut the gently caress up about Mr. Robot and I have to say it's been sort of a mixed bag up to the point I've gotten (episode four). The show feels more canny than smart; getting things like the grisly details of "real hacking" correct is nice, but it's a tough sell imagining Elliot would ever have gotten good enough at socializing to engineer some of the situations he puts himself in/winds up in, and little details keep sorta sucking me out of the narrative if only because the show itself seems to encourage this sort of consumption. Christian Slater/Mr. Robot being imaginary feels tremendously telegraphed to the point of comedy; I'll probably keep watching to see how it winds up, but if that's destined to be some sort of clever twist, I'll be disappointed.

Kinda agree.

The thing that bugs me is the mental illness thing(don't want to spoiler too much) and how it's used but I guess the writers want options and outs if they write themselves into a corner.

Another show I really dig is The Met but the drug addiction there really got in the way of telling what could have been an awesome story about turn of the last century medicine. Still a decent show but like Mr. Robot it adds extra elements when a more contained story would have been more up my ally. I mean the story of bringing down Not Google is pretty good on its own so I don't get why it's diluted with a ton of these other sub plots, hopefully it all comes together well though unlike The Met so far.

Woden fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Aug 26, 2015

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
You mean The Knick, right?

Woden
May 6, 2006

Gonz posted:

You mean The Knick, right?

Derp, yes.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Vanderdeath posted:

I randomly watched an episode of Burn Notice with my mom (she was a big fan) and it was the one where Michael convinced some gang members that he was the devil. That was enough to sell me then and there.

I heard about that one but never saw it. I should dig it out. It's a fun show!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Woden posted:

Derp, yes.

Now I want to see a show where Clive Owen does heroin and stumbles around an art museum circa 1900.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
When I heard about this show from the promos before it aired, I was also skeptical about it being on USA. I watch CW more than I do any other network, so I'm not exactly a TV-snob, but I'd never watch something on USA. If it were not for the fact that it aired in the middle of summer, when Hannibal is the only other quality show worth watching, I'd likely never have given it a chance (which would have been a mistake). Now, I'll even give that sci-fi show USA has been teasing during Mr. Robot a try.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Woden posted:

bringing down Not Google is pretty good on its own

Is it really Not Google? It seems to be, less-than-subtly, Not Enron, or maybe where Google hopes it ends up in the inevitable cyberpunk dystopia.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

ultramiraculous posted:

Is it really Not Google? It seems to be, less-than-subtly, Not Enron, or maybe where Google hopes it ends up in the inevitable cyberpunk dystopia.

E-Corp is way too corporate to be Google. That is, too many suits, too many snobby executives, that sort of thing. Plus, E-Corp's logo is just a solid version of Enron's anyway. Wish they could have come up with a better name than "E-Corp" unless that's a short version so Elliot can conveniently transform it into "Evil-Corp."

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Shoren posted:

E-Corp is way too corporate to be Google. That is, too many suits, too many snobby executives, that sort of thing. Plus, E-Corp's logo is just a solid version of Enron's anyway. Wish they could have come up with a better name than "E-Corp" unless that's a short version so Elliot can conveniently transform it into "Evil-Corp."

Uhh...so what if it's "Elliot Corp" :tinfoil:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Woden posted:

the story of bringing down Not Google is pretty good on its own so I don't get why it's diluted with a ton of these other sub plots

Because the show's not really about that, it's about the characters involved in that, particularly Elliot. Those sub plots aren't sub plots, they're the core of the narrative.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Autonomous Monster posted:

Because the show's not really about that, it's about the characters involved in that, particularly Elliot. Those sub plots aren't sub plots, they're the core of the narrative.

This is not necessarily the defense you might imagine it to be - MacGuffin plots are usually really boring to sustain, and the fact that the ostensible reason for all of this cool character poo poo to develop is OUR DEMOCRACY HAS BEEN HACKED arguably weakens the show, rather than strengthening it. If the E(vil) Corp hack is more or less just an excuse to put our characters together, I would rather they just do away with that formality entirely - they have a neat premise in Elliot's Kafka-esque alienation and isolation already, and we don't need Not Enron to have him start imagining Christian Slater as his cool avatar.

Also, it's probably already been touched upon if not exhausted to death, but Mr. Robot's marketing campaign is spectacularly bad, emblematic of everything that usually turns me off from any media but especially television. I'm not sure how much of it is supposed to be a meta-narrative itself - in that the ad campaign seems to be depicting Elliot's opinions and state of mind rather than the core premise of the show - but it doesn't work and it's really bad, and if it hadn't been for some aggressive lobbying from a friend of mine whose taste is basically unassailable, I probably wouldn't have watched the show at all. I skipped out on the Watch_Dogs game for having a similarly lovely marketing strategy, except everyone I know seems to agree I dodged a bullet, there.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
You haven't even watched half the episodes dude.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Wake_N_Bake posted:

Well, he has spent like 3 hours watching. That's a non-trivial amount of exposure to the style of the show.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also

Subjunctive posted:

Well, he has spent like 3 hours watching. That's a non-trivial amount of exposure to the style of the show.

All fine and good, but his argument was specifically about plot, not style, which is rendered moot by the overwhelming amount he hasn't yet seen of this season.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Wake_N_Bake posted:

All fine and good, but his argument was specifically about plot, not style, which is rendered moot by the overwhelming amount he hasn't yet seen of this season.

3 hours is more plot than most movies have, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that a great show has a (subjectively) great plot in the first 3 hours.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

poo poo, a lot of shows don't get a good plot until season 2.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Wake_N_Bake posted:

GreenNight posted:

I'm not sure it's anything like a good excuse or whatever - justifying boring or unengaging material by hoping for a big payoff later on. For starters, it rarely seems to actually pay off (The Killing, True Detective), or at least pay off in a way that the consensus agrees is satisfying, and for another thing, it still means that you've stuck your audience in less than compelling fiction for however long you've decided to take for the set up. AMC's stable of non-zombie shows typically have done a good job establishing a setting and allowing for "pay off" without sacrificing entertainment early in the schedule; if you think Breaking Bad or Mad Men is too high of a bar to have set, you could always instead take the strictly episodic path of other shows on the same network Mr. Robot is already airing on. Tolerating shows with slow, boring, or uninspiring beginnings because they might one day ~become good~ or ~pay off~ isn't a valid means of storytelling, to me. That's all.

This isn't to say that I think Mr. Robot is boring or uninspiring. It's that it feels clumsy in a way that makes me question the rave reviews it's gotten from my peers. This is certainly a watchable show, but the hyperbole is getting a little out of control, is all. Like I said, earlier, the only reason I even got into Mr. Robot is because one of my friends literally wouldn't stop loving talking about it, and the early episodes at least haven't had the same reaction from me. One of the main things I've seen written about the show is that it is utterly unlike anything USA Network has ever aired before, and I'm not sure I agree - it feels like a logical extension of a Suits-like work. It's cynical and stylish without feeling substantive yet.

I'm not saying "lol it sucks, gave up after four episodes," but excusing the first four episodes' flaws by saying I should wait until I finish the entire season is a conceit we've been trained to accept as serialized TV became more of A Thing™, and I just don't buy into that, I guess.

Waynebo
May 18, 2004

Look at that subtle off-white coloring.
The tasteful thickness of it.
Oh my god. It even has a watermark.
how do goons enjoy anything

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

carefully

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

GreenNight posted:

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

i like this show and also other shows and video games and movies, and hell, a lot of things

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

guts and bolts posted:

I'm not saying "lol it sucks, gave up after four episodes," but excusing the first four episodes' flaws by saying I should wait until I finish the entire season is a conceit we've been trained to accept as serialized TV became more of A Thing™, and I just don't buy into that, I guess.

Yeah, I'm pretty patient myself, but I don't think it's unreasonable for someone to expect that the third hour they put into something will be enjoyable. I certainly wouldn't sit down to watch a 3-hour movie if someone said "it's awkward and not great, except the ending is fun".

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Tonight's finale has been postponed by a week due to the Virginia shooting:

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/mr-robot-live-tv-killings-virginia-1201579137/

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm a bit worried about the finale and I don't really know why. While I've enjoyed the Tyrell thing, it kinda feels like he's the main character from another show and I'm a bit cautious that they seem to think that everyone involved here has to have a big, complex arc or they're not worthy as a character.

I think the Mr Robot was a symptom of Elliot's mental illness is enough for me, and don't really want a ton of the world around him to start falling apart as figments of his broken imagination. The Tyrell thing being as over the top as it is means it could go in multiple directions, and I'm expecting a cliffhanger of some sort.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
See you guys next Wednesday:

Virginia News Crew Killing: ‘Mr. Robot’ Finale Pushed Because Of Plot Similarities

quote:

USA Network has made a last-minute decision to pull tonight’s first-season finale of breakout freshman drama Mr. Robot in light of today’s tragic killing of a local news reporter and a camerman on live TV.

The season finale of the well received hacker drama will now air next Wednesday, September 2, at 10 PM. An encore of the penultimate episode will air tonight.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
According to Alan Sepinwall, the finale has a scene that's eerily similar to the shooting: https://twitter.com/sepinwall/status/636642494617403397

Whatever it is, I hope the episode isn't permanently censored.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

HorseRenoir posted:

According to Alan Sepinwall, the finale has a scene that's eerily similar to the shooting: https://twitter.com/sepinwall/status/636642494617403397

Whatever it is, I hope the episode isn't permanently censored.

They just posted on the official page that it's just getting postponed.

quote:

The previously filmed season finale of Mr. Robot contains a graphic scene similar in nature to today’s tragic events in Virginia. Out of respect to the victims, their families and colleagues, and our viewers, we are postponing tonight’s episode. Our thoughts go out to all those affected during this difficult time.

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew

SpaceAceJase posted:

Those Nintendos wouldn't be yellowed in 1994.

Immersion ruined.

I saw alot of yellowed SNES, NES, apples, and PCs because people use to be chain smokers

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
What a bizarre situation. Oh well, next week it is.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Burn the world.

Okay, not really, but this is especially ill-timed for me. I was already having a bad day and desperately hoping this would make it better. loving motherfuck. gently caress guns and gently caress the people who misuse them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Spergatory posted:

Burn the world.

Okay, not really, but this is especially ill-timed for me. I was already having a bad day and desperately hoping this would make it better. loving motherfuck. gently caress guns and gently caress the people who misuse them.

I know this is off-topic but there's two threads that might be of help with that. This one and this one

• Locked thread