Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Xguard86 posted:

With the sambo background you should go for people's legs and watch the fear and tears. Assuming it's all cool and they know you aren't doing YouTube-itsu.

I really wish there was sambo near me. I want to learn leg locks but it's hard to gst instruction plus reps.

Fatherdog and other leglockers are there any recommend videos books or tutorials that point out the finer points of leg attacks you would recommend? In a demonstration I can do knee bar heel hook straight ankle but I struggle in recognizing and executing transitions. Plus little details for finishing. Especially heel hooks and toe holds because I'm scared.

Just watch any of Paul Harris' fights.

Palhares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I like Reilly Bodycomb's "Sambo Leg Locks for No Gi Grappling - Vol. 1 & 2" a lot, for tips on finishing and points of control and stuff, I'm no expert though. He's cool and all his stuff is cheap.

http://www.rdojo.com/dvds.html

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

VulgarandStupid posted:

Just watch any of Paul Harris' fights.

Palhares

How do you know the Paul Harris nickname but not the fact that Xguard86 posts in all the UFC/MMA threads? Is it an internet-wide joke?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Xguard86 posted:

With the sambo background you should go for people's legs and watch the fear and tears. Assuming it's all cool and they know you aren't doing YouTube-itsu.

I really wish there was sambo near me. I want to learn leg locks but it's hard to gst instruction plus reps.

Fatherdog and other leglockers are there any recommend videos books or tutorials that point out the finer points of leg attacks you would recommend? In a demonstration I can do knee bar heel hook straight ankle but I struggle in recognizing and executing transitions. Plus little details for finishing. Especially heel hooks and toe holds because I'm scared.
Maybe someone else can come up with a good recommendation but I am unaware of anything I could recommend at this point. The leg lock game is evolving so fast that everything I am aware of is super dated. Try to attend an Eddie or Garry seminar if they come by your neck of the woods.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Xguard86 posted:

videos books or tutorials that point out the finer points of leg attacks you would recommend? In a demonstration I can do knee bar heel hook straight ankle but I struggle in recognizing and executing transitions. Plus little details for finishing. Especially heel hooks and toe holds because I'm scared.

I like Erik Paulsons "Killer Leg Locks" dvd, the man loves leg locks, the audio/visual quality of the DVD is kinda crap, but the information is good.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Aug 22, 2015

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I like Reilly Bodycomb's "Sambo Leg Locks for No Gi Grappling - Vol. 1 & 2" a lot, for tips on finishing and points of control and stuff, I'm no expert though. He's cool and all his stuff is cheap.

http://www.rdojo.com/dvds.html

Seconding this.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Mmm I'm a sucker for that imperial eagle Russian branding too.

His descriptions sounds exactly like what I need. Thanks guy!

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Xguard86 posted:

Dean Lister's instructional is okay (Dean himself is obviously way better than "okay", but his instructional is a little unfocused and rambling) and Reilly Bodycomb's stuff is solid. Bodycomb is probably closer to the way I personally play leglocks and he's a good, clear instructor. I haven't seen Paulson's stuff although his personal knowledge of leglocks is obviously solid.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Reilly is also just an incredibly nice and solid dude who does a lot to grow sambo in the US, I trained with him for about five years before he moved to New Orleans. Now his students always beat me up at sambo tournaments.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

fatherdog posted:

Dean Lister's instructional is okay (Dean himself is obviously way better than "okay", but his instructional is a little unfocused and rambling) and Reilly Bodycomb's stuff is solid. Bodycomb is probably closer to the way I personally play leglocks and he's a good, clear instructor. I haven't seen Paulson's stuff although his personal knowledge of leglocks is obviously solid.

Also watch this -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keeTKizdZzU&hd=1

because it's the way I was taught to finish heelhooks in 2002 and it's the first time I've ever seen somebody put it on video. Get the twist right so you can finish it without rolling halfway across the mat and annoying me.

The inside foot under the hamstring position he demonstrates at the beginning is how I do leglocks, but not always how I teach beginners, because what they usually need to concentrate on is pinching their knees together hard to keep the opponent's leg trapped and the knee from passing their knees, and trying to simultaneously apply upward hook pressure to the opposite leg can be a distraction.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Looks like it's squeeze the knee and wedge the foot in there but don't put a lot of upward foot pressure, yeah?

Thanks for the advice on the bodycomb stuff. Haven't bought a bjj resource in like 3 years. Time to invest again haha

Edit: poo poo looks like it's sold out. Are they still making them or am I sol.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 23, 2015

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

Looks like it's squeeze the knee and wedge the foot in there but don't put a lot of upward foot pressure, yeah?

Thanks for the advice on the bodycomb stuff. Haven't bought a bjj resource in like 3 years. Time to invest again haha

Edit: poo poo looks like it's sold out. Are they still making them or am I sol.

No Kurtka Vol. 2 has a lot of the same leglock stuff, pretty cheap if you get the download instead of the DVD too.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Anyone keeping up to date on the Jay Queiroz stuff?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQxh07br2lM

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

quote:

Jay Queiroz has been running a BJJ and MMA gym in the upstate NY town of Marlboro. After uploading a number of suspect, and in some cases embarrassing videos of himself instructing, some in the NY Jiu-Jitsu community caught wind of it, and sought to see if he was legit. His Facebook page, which led to his outing has since been taken down, but at the time claimed that was a "Recognized IBJJF black belt." There is no such Jay Queiroz listed among the IBJJF database of black belts.

Mike Palladino, a BJJ brown belt who trains nearby decided to pay him a visit, and see what he has to say for himself.

quote:

Here’s what Jay Queiroz’s Student and Website designer Nick M. had to say:

“I trained with Jay for a few months (about 3) it seemed a bit sketchy
from the start I’ll admit but, I over looked it because he seemed like
a nice person. During that time I got a blue belt in a few weeks witch
made me completely sketched out because, from what I read it takes the
best of the best a minimum of 6 months to get a blue belt and I’d say
I’m just average. Too add to that he didn’t have any belt higher then
purple until he ordered a black belt a while later (He claimed he left
it somewhere I don’t really remember, also I think this confirms your
theory that he actually may have been a purple belt). The sketchiness
of that lead to 2 of my friends leaving the gym immediately after but,
no no I trusted him so I stayed a while longer and trained almost
everyday for about 2 more months and it started feeling really
repetitive and I felt like I’d already learned everything he had to
teach. At that point summer hit and I started working full time with
the combination of lack of time and repetitiveness I decided to stop
going during the summer although I did plan on going back once the
summer ended solely because of the fact I considered Jay a friend and
I should probably support him. After seeing this video to my
disappointment the assumptions I had were confirmed. It’s pathetic
that he’d lie to his students that put in countless hours helping him
with his gym. What he did was low and I mean real low I understand the
honor of having a belt and what it means in BJJ and he completely
disrespected it. Not only that but he lied and took advantage of
everyone’s trust. I decided it would be best that I delete the website
I built for him because now I find it misleading (this is not an act
of spite I just feel its in everyone’s best interest). The thing I
don’t get is he still has people supporting him.”

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah, I've been reading all of that. His videos are loving hilarious in how bad they are. What I don't get is why Jay didn't claim to be a "really good" submission grappler, there's no belts or anything in that, he could have gotten away with it for ages.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

de la peche posted:

Yeah, I've been reading all of that. His videos are loving hilarious in how bad they are. What I don't get is why Jay didn't claim to be a "really good" submission grappler, there's no belts or anything in that, he could have gotten away with it for ages.

If you're gonna lie then why lie small

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Rabhadh posted:

Ha, yeah. I'd lie small and keep open for a bit, he probably could've kept a (maybe) profitable yet poo poo school going for a while. 'The Queiroz Grappling System'. The second you start pretending you were awarded a black belt, everyone's out to get you.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Rabhadh posted:

de la peche posted:

he could have gotten away with it for ages.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Getting away with it isn't why he did it, he did it for the financial gain of having students, and probably the respect he got from those students too. Why did he have students in the first place? Because he claimed to teach bjj and mt, I doubt anyone would show up for a lesson in 'The Queiroz Grappling System'.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

You don't think? I reckon I could hire a room and fill it full of ninjutsu-loving dumbasses that would swallow up whatever lies I peddled within a year. Pecheitsu, that poo poo's ancient. Only one living practitioner. Throw in some gradings (only £30 every month), and lots and lots of "this poo poo's too deadly to spar" and you'd be onto a winner. What I guess I'm saying is if he was going to lie, he should've lied sideways, not upwards.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Not bad, but they need to work on their drill timing:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
gently caress I popped my knee out while my guard was being passed tonight :stonk:

It doesn't hurt too bad since popping back into place, and I iced it and put a sleeve on it. Goddammit I've had knee injuries on the left side before, nothing for years, now my right knee is acting up. Not even sure how it happened.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

1st AD posted:

gently caress I popped my knee out while my guard was being passed tonight :stonk:

It doesn't hurt too bad since popping back into place, and I iced it and put a sleeve on it. Goddammit I've had knee injuries on the left side before, nothing for years, now my right knee is acting up. Not even sure how it happened.

fuuuuck. Not the day I wanted to read this. I moved recently and I've been having trouble motivating myself to go to the boxing club, so I'm going to check out some jits tonight, to see what the club here has to offer.

I hope that it's an isolated incident for you.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I won't be participating in the tournament I talked about a copula pages ago. I am still going to Las Vegas to "cheer" on my gym-mates while probably being lit as gently caress.

1st AD posted:

:stonkhat:

mewse
May 2, 2006

CommonShore posted:

I moved recently and I've been having trouble motivating myself to go to the boxing club

Are you in the pas?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

mewse posted:

Are you in the pas?

No I didn't get the job there. I found a 1-year full-time gig back home in Brandon. The club here seems good, and I like everyone involved with it, but I realized that I can't really go much further with boxing unless I want to spar a ton and risk concussions, which I can't do in my line of work. So the few times I went and worked out at Brandon Boxing Club, I just found myself missing my Ottawa workout buds and lacking motivation. Their hours are a bit limited too.

So I'm changing things up a bit.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I was thinking of going to a boxing gym but then I sprained my knee last month. The doctor(not my provider just an urgent care guy) told me just to put some ice on it and now it doesn't really hurt that much to do jogging in place or elliptical work. Am I good to go?

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Wait till it stops hurting completely. And then another week. And then take it super slow.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Yup. Like, my knee feels fine right now but I'm basically not running or putting weight on it for another week.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

What about sprained wrists? I've been (obviously) using mine for work and other stuff, but I feel like that's enough bother that it's not healing well.
Not sure if sprain is the right term. I was landing some really good hooks on the bag, and I think my wrist gave a little bit on impact, and then it started hurting. So not a big bend angle, but a lot of force through the wrist.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

kimbo305 posted:

What about sprained wrists? I've been (obviously) using mine for work and other stuff, but I feel like that's enough bother that it's not healing well.
Not sure if sprain is the right term. I was landing some really good hooks on the bag, and I think my wrist gave a little bit on impact, and then it started hurting. So not a big bend angle, but a lot of force through the wrist.

Sorry bro, you're just looking limp wrists. You should embrace it, think of all the great ensembles.

Usually it's my elbows that have issues the day after a lot of curls or hooks.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I always so jealous when famously hard hitters in boxing hold up their giant hulk hands. On dates, the convo sometimes wanders over to how I have really skinny wrists, even thinner than theirs. They usually don't believe until we match up and it's true :qq:

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I have very thin wrists and used to have this problem. Now I don't and I hit hard enough, but my wrists are still thin. Just concentrate on punching with good alignment.

It took about ten years though for it to stop happening.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The injury is part of my switching to orthodox and slowly bringing up the power in my new lead hook but not having the same ingrained alignment from the other side.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Yeah I join the bad knee club with a deteriorating left knee.That bich is starting to hurt after every practice and when I move outside a limited range.30 next year getting old sucks.

Also does anyone know the shrinkage in moral gi's I want a second gi to avoid being the stinky mlfo in class and they have a very competitively priced gi.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
<ADCC>

Please don't confuse two athletes who are not willing to take chances with wrestling being boring.

Wrestling with no shots or attempted throws is just as boring as Jiu Jitsu with no sweep or submission attempts.

Taking 3 steps back with no offense is stalling and should be penalized in some way. Both athletes should be hit for stalling if a minute goes by with no shot or pull.

If you are a guard player take the negative advantage and use the full time to go for a sub or sweep.

This is hard to watch.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Anyone got any good tips about overcoming competition nerves? Got a comp on Saturday. Didn't compete all of 2014 because it fucks with me so much, any advice greatly appreciated!

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

de la peche posted:

Anyone got any good tips about overcoming competition nerves? Got a comp on Saturday. Didn't compete all of 2014 because it fucks with me so much, any advice greatly appreciated!

Spend some time each day picturing yourself getting onto the mat and competing, in as close to the competition as possible. Breathe. Get your mind into that place as much as possible while keeping your body as calm as possible.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Thanks man. I get real bad nerves, I've never been one for sports competitions, but I want to shake the fear off. Doing scary poo poo is rewarding. I will be visualising that scenario up till the weekend!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Nierbo posted:

Anyone keeping up to date on the Jay Queiroz stuff?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQxh07br2lM
I couldn't deal with this much awkward so I watched a few minutes and gave up. Does the guy ever actually roll? From the his instructional videos it seems pretty unlikely that he's even a purple.

• Locked thread