Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Ottawa is still a thing that exists.

"We're almost at Montreal, keep driving"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
I have an unlocked phone and am looking at providers. i mostly stick to the Ottawa (primary) / Toronto / London corridor. What's my best bet for a low month to month rate? After doing some research, I'm feeling good about WIND. Advice?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Godinster posted:

Using Rogers in BC outside of Vancouver is torture

It's pretty bad but I have an awesome plan so welp.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Godinster posted:

Using Rogers in BC outside of Vancouver is torture

It's nothing compared to Saskatchewan. Drove out there to go camping, had no reception for 3 days.

Rickets
Jul 21, 2006

Them's my dancin' knees!

PittTheElder posted:

It's nothing compared to Saskatchewan. Drove out there to go camping, had no reception for 3 days.

You say that like it isn't the whole point of camping!

Rogers reception is so bad in Alberta that I ditched them for Wind as why not, it doesn't work out of the city anyways? At least now I save a pile of money every month, I can use that money to buy a large stockpile of flares so that when I get lost camping I can actually call for help.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Rickets posted:

Rogers reception is so bad in Alberta that I ditched them for Wind

As a Wind subscriber in Vancouver, this made my head explode. I love the price and the roaming, bug goddamn the coverage is poo poo.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Has any one else noticed winds data connection in Calgary has gone to poo poo in the last few months. I mean, even worse then it always was. It's pretty much a 50/50 change that I will have no data access at any given time.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I signed up with Wind in Calgary last September and it was pretty much poo poo the entire time until I switched to koodo last month. No point in having unlimited data if you can never use it.

Rickets
Jul 21, 2006

Them's my dancin' knees!

Dillbag posted:

As a Wind subscriber in Vancouver, this made my head explode. I love the price and the roaming, bug goddamn the coverage is poo poo.

I guess I must be the lucky one, or the only Wind subscriber in my area (East Edmonton) or something. Sometimes my latency is closer to 200ms than 100ms but the speeds are consistently decent and I don't find myself without data service.

Hell, I even hit 5GB of usage last month and had to upgrade to the $50 plan!

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Is data for tethering being separate still a thing, mainly with Rogers? I'm looking into switching over to their 10GB shared data plan, because the 3GB I currently get with my corporate plan is pretty tight when away from home for extended periods (astronomy, mainly) and we have a laptop and tablet linked up to my phone for a connection. We just got back from a trip out at the cabin with excellent reception, and having more data would have been handy for accessing manuals and stuff from the home fileserver, or using the home desktop computer via RDP to try out image postprocessing,

Right now I have that 3GB plan, my partner has a 1GB plan with unlimited calling and texting, and we're each paying $60 after tax. We live in MB, and we already have our own devices, so for two phone lines we should be able to take advatage of their Share Everything plan that seems to come to $105 + tax for two lines, which for the two of us is a couple bucks cheaper with a lot more data, amd only one bill to deal with. And oddly enough, while doing more digging on the small business side of things, they have the same 10GB shared data plan, but the second line is cheaper if you bring your own device, bringing it to $95 + tax for two lines sharing 10GB of data.

Are either of those plans going to screw us over if our bulk usage of our data is through tethering, or do phone companies just not care any more? And is there a difference to the small-business Share Everything plan that would make it worth signing up for it over the consumer grade plan?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
It turns out Canada can't have Skype numbers because they don't let you call 911 even if their only real purpose is inbound calling :mad:

Is there any other scheme I can run to keep a number from one area code as a forward when I move to another town? My current number is in a tonne of services and I don't want to try rolling it over after it's been unassigned.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

Shumagorath posted:

It turns out Canada can't have Skype numbers because they don't let you call 911 even if their only real purpose is inbound calling :mad:

Is there any other scheme I can run to keep a number from one area code as a forward when I move to another town? My current number is in a tonne of services and I don't want to try rolling it over after it's been unassigned.

I use voip.ms for this.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Oh good maybe you can explain it better than they do, please?

https://voip.ms/howitworks.php :confused:

I've got a Windows phone which no doubt makes it worse due to app selection.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

When I moved to SK a few years ago the first thing I did after moving my poo poo was go to a Telus store and port my number. The coverage is absolutely dreadful and my work-issued SIMs are a great example. It's actually gotten better for Rogers in SK more recently since they're allowed to use SaskTel signal or something like that.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I used some VoIP service called freephonenumber or freephoneline or something like that (sorry if the name isn't exact). Their software is ad-supported, but you can connect to them with other VoIP clients AFAIK and avoid the ads. You can also set up forwarding.

I used it back when I lived in Kitchener but had a Toronto number, my building wouldn't let me forward the buzzer to the Toronto number ... so I got the VoIP, sent my buzzer there, and forwarded it to my TO cell. Cost: $0.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
My problem is if I keep the TO number I'm going to get wrecked on roaming if the VoIP number forwards to it and I pick up. I guess I could get a US Skype number and forward the VoIP line there? All I care about is the call getting to my phone and being able to have normal touchtone interaction.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Right, primarily they're a SIP provider. When I started to travel extensively, I ported in my old cell number to them for $10 and did 2 things. One, set up the SIP client built into the Android dialer so I can dial out and receive calls on that number, and two, set up a ring group for when someone calls that number it both tries to reach me over SIP and also rings me on my Google voice number. Whichever I pick up first, gets the call. Incoming and forwarded calls are billed at ~1 cent/minute and outgoing calls are billed at about 0.5 cents/minute, and I pay about $1/mo for the DID (phone number). If you expect to have a lot of minutes (>1000/mo), you can go flat rate for incoming for ~$5/mo.

If all you care about is being able to receive calls on your old number, all you would need to do is port your number to them and set up a ring group to ring your new number and forward the call. You only need to set something up on your phone if you care about making outgoing calls from that number (or what their cheap long distance rates).

There are likely other options, but this is what works for me.

edit: I don't follow the roaming argument. Why does it matter where an incoming call is from?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I'm trying to keep the SIM with the Toronto number in the phone so I can send and receive texts, which are Canada-wide. Incoming and outgoing calls would be handled via Skype, which the Toronto number would forward to. I wouldn't bother getting a new local number and just handle everything via my data plan. My problem is that you can't get a Canadian Skype number so I'd have to, say, forward the Toronto number to a US Skype number that my phone picked up. I have no idea if that makes sense since a long-distance forward handled by Rogers is probably punitive.

I don't care about making outgoing calls from the Toronto number so I think what you've described works best and I'll just have to get a local number to send/receive texts.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Aug 25, 2015

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Ah, I get it now. voip.ms does actually support SMS as well, which is free at least for the foreseeable future, but it's kind of cumbersome because SMS doesn't really map that well onto SIMPLE, the SIP messaging protocol. I wouldn't use it unless you don't have another choice.

What you could do, and its getting convoluted, is keep your current plan as is, get a new VoIP number in Toronto, set up Rogers to forward to that VoIP number and receive those calls over SIP on your phone.

Another option, which is probably the least hassle, is get yourself on a Canada wide plan for voice, like the 55 dollar MB/SK plan on Koodo and just keep using your phone as is.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Yeah right now my voice is some trash plan with 200min/mo because I never use it. I guess it would be an inconvenience for anyone who calls me from my new area code but the number of people who even know what a phone call is seems to be dropping to zero.

SIP isn't built into my phone's OS either so it looks like either I can have the number or keep my money but not both. The question is how much money.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Aug 26, 2015

Monsieur N
Dec 4, 2004

Fear the monkeys !
How is kodoo ? I know they use the telus network so it should be fine where I am. They are offering a pretty decent plan(unlimited Canada wide calling and 1gb of data for 35$) and I'm thinking of switching.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

Monsieur N posted:

How is kodoo ? I know they use the telus network so it should be fine where I am. They are offering a pretty decent plan(unlimited Canada wide calling and 1gb of data for 35$) and I'm thinking of switching.

Koodo is Telus, just cheaper.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I managed to talk retention into giving me a discount on unlimited Canada-wide calling. So now I've got the 647 number in the new area code with unlimited anytime and 6GB of data for ~$80/mo after tax. I guess that extra $30 is worth it to have better coverage than WIND. Anyone who doesn't have Canada-wide calling in my new area will suffer long distance fees until I switch numbers but I can just call them back or use Skype.

The sad thing is I could probably survive as Skype-only apart from checking voicemail and the occasional phone call I get from back home, but my 647 number is tied to so many services I'm scared to turn it off right away.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Monsieur N posted:

They are offering a pretty decent plan(unlimited Canada wide calling and 1gb of data for 35$)

Koodo is great, where is this plan available?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Scudworth posted:

Koodo is great, where is this plan available?

It's available in Quebec, at least.

But it's telling me these new plans are available "when you agree to pay off your Tab balance and agree to the changes to your Tab." And I'm trying to figure out what these changes to the Tab are but jesus gently caress their site is confusing. Can't you just tell me the Before + After, asswads?

I guess if I don't have a tab balance (BYOD), I can basically not give a poo poo?

e:

quote:

Based on your profile, you are not eligible to complete this transaction. Potential reasons for this are:
- You have not been with Koodo for at least 3 months
- You have not yet paid off your first bill
- You are on the spending limit program

When none of the above are true. :bravo:

Jan fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 27, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I mentioned earlier about my work's employee plans switching to "Regular plans - 20%". We got the flyer with the rates recently and they all include BYOD rates now, which they didn't before.

So for $52.40 ($4 less than my current plan) I can keep my 6gb but also get Gamecenter and Roam like Home availability.

The rates are actually really good (for Canada) if you BYOD. They suck if you don't, compared to our previous plan.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I want a Sony Xperia Compact, I was just looking at the Z3 version on expansys.ca and it says its not compatible with LTE on Telus? Is this for real? I'm actually with Koodo but neither of them sell Sony phones

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

codo27 posted:

I want a Sony Xperia Compact, I was just looking at the Z3 version on expansys.ca and it says its not compatible with LTE on Telus? Is this for real? I'm actually with Koodo but neither of them sell Sony phones

Look for D5083: http://www.expansys.ca/sony-xperia-z3-compact-d5803-unlocked-lte-white-266640/ http://www.expansys.ca/sony-xperia-z3-compact-d5803-unlocked-lte-black-266639/

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
My dad wants to upgrade from his flipphone (!!!) to a Moto G gen 3 so that he can take it with him on a trip to France. When he walked into a Telus store, they told him that they would only sell it locked. Is there any way to unlock the phone, provided he buys it outright?

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Call Telus, pay 50bux over the phone

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
If he's going to buy it outright, may as well not get it from Telus since 1) he'll have to pay $50 to get it unlocked, 2) they only sell the 1GB RAM model. Spend the extra $50 and get the unlocked 2GB.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

spoof posted:

If he's going to buy it outright, may as well not get it from Telus since 1) he'll have to pay $50 to get it unlocked, 2) they only sell the 1GB RAM model. Spend the extra $50 and get the unlocked 2GB.

On the offchance, do you know who sells the 2GB version it in Quebec? I wasn't able to find anything that wasn't from a carrier.

e: besides Motorola, which is selling it on amazon.ca for the low, low price of $344.00. :jerkbag:

The Dark One fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Aug 30, 2015

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

The Dark One posted:

On the offchance, do you know who sells the 2GB version it in Quebec? I wasn't able to find anything that wasn't from a carrier.

e: besides Motorola, which is selling it on amazon.ca for the low, low price of $344.00. :jerkbag:

Exchange rates bite atm.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
What's the most expeditious way to get a new iPhone on a carrier you're not currently a customer of? Do they have waiting lists or what not?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I cant wait to get hosed by :canada: carriers on prices for the new iPhone. The Pro is listed at $1000+ for the base model, so the phone is probably gonna be just the same. 64GB is about $400 CAD after converting the $299 US. :/

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Get it unlocked for $1029

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

I cant wait to get hosed by :canada: carriers on prices for the new iPhone. The Pro is listed at $1000+ for the base model, so the phone is probably gonna be just the same. 64GB is about $400 CAD after converting the $299 US. :/

The pricing is pretty well identical in USD terms once you convert from CAD. Blame our lovely currency.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lexicon posted:

The pricing is pretty well identical in USD terms once you convert from CAD. Blame our lovely currency.

As usual, gently caress harper, but please do not buy the new iphone

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lexicon posted:

Yeah, you're okay if you buy straight up and are even getting a discount in some cases (iPad Air 16gb for example is $500 US but $550 Canadian) but the carriers are going to gently caress you.

Even right now the $200 iPhone 6 is $350.

Vintersorg posted:

Where are you seeing prices for the Pro?

It doesn't come out until November, I would assume they would avoid committing to any price until closer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, you're okay if you buy straight up and are even getting a discount in some cases (iPad Air 16gb for example is $500 US but $550 Canadian) but the carriers are going to gently caress you.

Even right now the $200 iPhone 6 is $350.

True. I was comparing unlocked-USA pricing vs unlocked-Canada pricing, which are basically the same in USD-terms.