Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Let's play this RPGMaker-ish game that I LP'ed last year or so, or rather let's make Kiti do it because she promised drat it

If you're itching for more enthusiastically fast games or you aren't in the mood for a story to be narrated to you in a very non-SA way (no wacky accents this time), this may not be your rodeo partner. Just as a heads-u.

http://www.twitch.tv/roar_sa

Stream starts in nine-ish minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vifs
Jan 13, 2010

Plllllllaydies :heysexy:
Streaming some The Swindle, just picked up the game. I've heard mixed things about the game, but sounds fun.

edit: stream over

Vifs fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Aug 25, 2015

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Evening.
Tonight Me and Mazo are continuing our hopefully lagfree adventure into the temple of seasons with a fae that rock a mohawk.

https://www.twitch.tv/doseku

Doseku fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 25, 2015

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

No more sad game, now it's shooty cop game.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Slur posted:

Stream

This is done. The archive is on my Youtube channel.

Slur fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 26, 2015

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Gonna be streaming some Until Dawn in a few minutes: https://www.twitch.tv/allisonbyproxy

6.5 hours later and the game is done. Thanks to anyone who checked in. What a wild ride.

AllisonByProxy fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Aug 25, 2015

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Warhammer 40k - Dawn of War Dark Krusade

WAAAGH
2000 dead tau is a good start!

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Aug 25, 2015

Tiny Turtle
May 2, 2008

Hi, buddies!
So The Grand Tournament expansion for Hearthstone came out yesterday and finally it's working over here in Europe. I've mucked about some with a couple of decks, but now I'm wanting to try out arena. I've got 450 gold saved up, so that's at least three runs, not counting winnings. Join me?

6-3, not bad. Statistically speaking it's my best class now!

Whoa. That was supposed to be spoilered.

Join me here: https://www.twitch.tv/tinyturtlesa/

Tiny Turtle fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 25, 2015

Vifs
Jan 13, 2010

Plllllllaydies :heysexy:
Streaming more The Swindle, I like the game so far, but the controls are a bit sloppy.

edit: stream over

Vifs fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 25, 2015

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
I'm gonna try to complete shovel knight with four hearts and no items.

feel free to join in.

http://www.hitbox.tv/irregularprogramming

had some audio issues, closing stream.

Fredrik1 fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 25, 2015

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space

The NIER Dadventures continue: http://www.hitbox.tv/scoreattack

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

You know, by making an appeal to Fedule in order to get this thread stickied, I was hoping that more people would come in and actually begin to watch some goon streams or begin streaming themselves. I'm not seeing that trend as of yet, and I honestly want to start a discussion in this thread on how to improve the state of this thread and streaming on Something Awful. irc.synirc.net #streamgoons is also open for discussion in regards to this matter.

Either way...

http://www.hitbox.tv/Slur

Radiant Dawn continues.

Slur fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 25, 2015

Tiny Turtle
May 2, 2008

Hi, buddies!
More of that Minecraft junk. Playing Agrarian Skies 2 on a goon server! Join us in crafting a whole new world out of nothing! It looks like poo poo though.

https://www.twitch.tv/tinyturtlesa/

Tiny Turtle fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 26, 2015

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
After last nights fiasco, i felt like playing a good mana game. So let's play some Legend of Mana.

http://www.twitch.tv/captain_duck

Captain_duck fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Aug 26, 2015

Baofu
Jun 15, 2007

Tonight on It Came From PSPlus,

Tonight I'm going to be playing Limbo for all of your viewing pleasure. As far as I can tell it's about death, and finding your path through the darkness, and getting impaled by spiders. I've previously only played about the first 20 minutes of this game, and frankly I'm looking forward to more. It's starting tonight at 9pm EST (or whenever I can get my laundry done).

https://www.twitch.tv/EPA_Regulations

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Contradiction or w/e

http://hitbox.tv/micolithe

Mico fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Aug 26, 2015

METATERREN
Jul 3, 2015

I enjoy putting things in my mouth.

Slur posted:

You know, by making an appeal to Fedule in order to get this thread stickied, I was hoping that more people would come in and actually begin to watch some goon streams or begin streaming themselves. I'm not seeing that trend as of yet, and I honestly want to start a discussion in this thread on how to improve the state of this thread and streaming on Something Awful. irc.synirc.net #streamgoons is also open for discussion in regards to this matter.

Either way...

http://www.hitbox.tv/Slur

Radiant Dawn continues.

This thread opens up some opportunity. There are some lurkers and folks who regularly visit here and pop into streams. But the crowd is limited. One problem with this thread is that no streamers can generate a group of goons who have a space to discuss the stream. Makes it tougher to do cool things like have events or regular festivities on stream and let viewers and potential viewers learn about it.

I don't think a subforum for streamers is the answer, and the other problem is threads made by each person who casually pops open a stream once or thrice a week will bump down LP threads to the archive much more rapidly.

Perhaps streamers ought to have threads of their own after all although I can imagine a backlash from the regular LP forum users that may erupt into a full on war between the LP vets and streaming crowd. A lot of streamers on LP are just average although folks like LizardWizard have done things on a regular basis (with groups on skype nonetheless) for periods of time and had good fun. A stream like LW's ought to have its own thread.

Perhaps the clog wouldn't be an issue if this thread and individual streamer channel threads can coexist. Then, casual streamers and people looking to join a random stream have a place to post and streamer channel's can have a space to talk. I'm sure a ton of streamer threads would be 30 posts in a row of them announcing their stream opening but whatever. Maybe a maverick streamer will figure out a way to make it worthy/fun to be participating in their thread.

METATERREN fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Aug 26, 2015

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

We may or may not finish this tonight!

If you're itching for more enthusiastically fast games or you aren't in the mood for a story to be narrated to you in a very non-SA way (no wacky accents this time), this may not be your rodeo partner. Just as a heads-up.

Stream starts in nine-ish minutes

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

METATERREN posted:

This thread opens up some opportunity. There are some lurkers and folks who regularly visit here and pop into streams. But the crowd is limited. One problem with this thread is that no streamers can generate a group of goons who have a space to discuss the stream. Makes it tougher to do cool things like have events or regular festivities on stream and let viewers and potential viewers learn about it.

I don't think a subforum for streamers is the answer, and the other problem is threads made by each person who casually pops open a stream once or thrice a week will bump down LP threads to the archive much more rapidly.

Perhaps streamers ought to have threads of their own after all although I can imagine a backlash from the regular LP forum users that may erupt into a full on war between the LP vets and streaming crowd. A lot of streamers on LP are just average although folks like LizardWizard have done things on a regular basis (with groups on skype nonetheless) for periods of time and had good fun. A stream like LW's ought to have its own thread.

Perhaps the clog wouldn't be an issue if this thread and individual streamer channel threads can coexist. Then, casual streamers and people looking to join a random stream have a place to post and streamer channel's can have a space to talk. I'm sure a ton of streamer threads would be 30 posts in a row of them announcing their stream opening but whatever. Maybe a maverick streamer will figure out a way to make it worthy/fun to be participating in their thread.

Well, I believe that by making separate threads dedicated to each streamer in this thread would actually kill the strong level of merit that has been established across LP as opposed to other parts of the internet. Why can't we have serious discussions about streaming as a whole in this thread, or various streams in general? Why can't there be casual discussions being made within this thread? There isn't a lot of us currently making discussions, and it would be a fair enough hub to do so here until things start to expand. Then, a streaming subforum can be warranted after things get big enough.

A lot of it is also a problem with Hitbox and Twitch in general; they don't exactly lend themselves to the ability to discover new people as a whole, which means that there can't be an influx from exterior sources. I mean, we don't have to just branch out to our closed community, do we?

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

Slur posted:

I'm not seeing that trend as of yet, and I honestly want to start a discussion in this thread on how to improve the state of this thread and streaming on Something Awful.

The biggest problem I can see is that while the SA LP audience is the biggest on the internet, you're still talking about hundreds of members to the low thousands of lurkers (you only ever see 5 digits on the first videos of LPers like Chip and Geop). Only a fraction of those watch other less-polished LPs, and only a fraction of those are going to watch streams.

About as bad is the discouragement factor when you try streaming and don't get an audience. I remember the first time Prof. Booty streamed Dark Souls, it was just him and me the first stream, and he gradually got a couple more because he's really good at the game and pretty entertaining. Maybe it would've kept up if he continued and maybe not, Hitbox is a lot of peoples' preferred platform here and it simply doesn't have as many viewers as Twitch (I'm looking at the main page and only 12 have 100+ watching) and it seems like the majority are doing WoW/LoL and the other "usual suspects." As people try streaming and give up it just reinforces the impression that streaming on SA is only for you, Roar, Turtle and the other regulars and there aren't enough fans to go around for anyone else. Only thing that breaks that cycle is people being more willing to check out new streamers and encourage them to get past the growing pains, and goons aren't exactly known for positive reinforcement. :v:

And on that vein, I can't speak for anyone else; but I need to either really like a game or already like the streamer (good example of the latter case is when I started following Mog, I remembered her from her Dark Souls LP) to click in the first place, and I need to like both at least a little to keep watching. I mean, not to single him out, but I remember checking in on Party Bug when he was streaming Demon's Souls a couple months back, and through sheer bad luck on timing it was when he was in the Bone Zone, so I'm there for like 2 minutes until he just starts cussing out the skeletons and it was a pretty :yikes: moment. And similarly I've seen a fair few people with "SA" in their Twitch handles show up for a few minutes, realize I'm not very good and bail. Can't do much about that, people have whatever style they have or skill they have (or don't :sweatdrop: ) and it's not going to work for everybody.

---

...all that being said, Ben and I are going to restart the Resident Evil 4 bro-op, and try to finish it this time! Still at http://twitch.tv/broopgamers . Probably the only stream the two of us will do this week, but I'll probably be back on Thursday.

Edit: Done! Thanks for coming by all, it was a lot of fun.

v Hierophant: Yeah, I'm with you. And good point on Twitch, I forgot they sort by game and then by view count (whereas Hitbox is smaller so the main screen just has a list of active channels). I, uh, have never actually just browsed for streams that way, heh, if nobody is on that I'm interested in watching I'll catch an LP I'm behind on.

Wayne fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Aug 26, 2015

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Gonna be streaming DinoPark Tycoon at 9:00 pm CST
Let's go out and cause Jurassic World.

Hierophant
Oct 21, 2007

Wayne posted:

About as bad is the discouragement factor when you try streaming and don't get an audience.

It's discouraging for both streamers and the audience: it can be awkward to be that one viewer. Streams with multiple commentators are better because then the streamer has someone else to talk to besides the (possibly non-existent) audience.

On a different note, because of the way twitch works (listing games by their viewer count), you need viewers to attract viewers. If you have less than ten viewers you'll just be buried so far down the list for any non-obscure game that you'll never pick up random browsers.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

No more sad game, now it's shooty cop game.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Slur posted:

Why can't there be casual discussions being made within this thread?

There's like a minimum of ten streams a day about various and disparate games and there is no point of unity beyond the fact that video games are being streamed.

Hope that helped.

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

Well, take this with a grain of salt, but
Stream starting in ten to fifteen minutes.
Gonna play some , and maybe do some other stuff as well.

Come join the fun.

All done. Cheers.

Twiggymouse fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Aug 26, 2015

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Lizard Wizard posted:

There's like a minimum of ten streams a day about various and disparate games and there is no point of unity beyond the fact that video games are being streamed.

Yeah kinda this.

This thread has always really been intended as a place where people can invite members of this community to come and join in the fun. Besides the SA Twitch group (or whatever the hitbox equivalent is), none of us are really doing anything "together". That being said there is literally nothing stopping anyone from having a conversation in this thread about streaming in general or about streams as a whole, there just usually isn't a lot of variance for people to talk about. I can tell you right now that a streaming subforum (and even individual streaming threads) would be the most incredibly dead places you ever did done see.

Also one of the bigger issues we have as streamers is the incredible amount of xenophobia towards new viewers. I get that we're special SA-snowflakes and god forbid anyone come in and use a kappa now and then but shutting out the outside world is never a great idea when you're trying to get new people to come hang out with you.

[b]Here's a discussion piece that I've been wondering: who have you all been watching stream? I've been looking for a new streamer or two to enjoy. Goon or non-goon is fine though I'm more looking into the latter since I already know most of the former. (please excuse any disjointed statements or typos in this, i am super tired)[./b]

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
We going to spaaaace.
Elite dangerous. my grahpics will be on ... ultra.

http://www.twitch.tv/sa_jadestar

Mazo Panku
Nov 30, 2013

Do I look like a reasonable man to you, or a peppermint nightmare?

Roar posted:

[b]Here's a discussion piece that I've been wondering: who have you all been watching stream? I've been looking for a new streamer or two to enjoy. Goon or non-goon is fine though I'm more looking into the latter since I already know most of the former. (please excuse any disjointed statements or typos in this, i am super tired)[./b]

Actually, I've been trying to catch Grimith whenever he's streaming.
I just sort of chanced into his stream once while he was playing the Tarot game for the NES. There was a Tarot game for the NES.
He seems to have been around a while on Youtube, but I had never heard of him until that moment.
Wouldn't say he's super entertaining, but he keeps it chill and plays a wide assortment of games that most people wouldn't even touch for a stream.
Let's see, besides the Tarot game he's played a bunch of Daggerfall and NFL Street recently. NFL Street, did you even remember that game existed?

Other than that, recently, I kinda just lurk on your guys' streams when I can and do my own when I can. Outside of Lizard Wizard and Slur you're all pretty decent people, and the poo poo you all stream is pretty cool, sometimes. Sometimes.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Mazo Panku posted:

Actually, I've been trying to catch Grimith whenever he's streaming.
I just sort of chanced into his stream once while he was playing the Tarot game for the NES. There was a Tarot game for the NES.
He seems to have been around a while on Youtube, but I had never heard of him until that moment.
Wouldn't say he's super entertaining, but he keeps it chill and plays a wide assortment of games that most people wouldn't even touch for a stream.
Let's see, besides the Tarot game he's played a bunch of Daggerfall and NFL Street recently. NFL Street, did you even remember that game existed?

Other than that, recently, I kinda just lurk on your guys' streams when I can and do my own when I can. Outside of Lizard Wizard and Slur you're all pretty decent people, and the poo poo you all stream is pretty cool, sometimes. Sometimes.

You take that back
I never stream anything pretty cool.

Mazo Panku
Nov 30, 2013

Do I look like a reasonable man to you, or a peppermint nightmare?

Senior Scarybagels posted:

You take that back
I never stream anything pretty cool.

You just did DinoPark Tycoon you shitlord, that game was my jam when I was a kid.
Cool is subjective, anyway. Some people like Dota streams or FPS streams. That's their cool!

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
For what it's worth: As someone who's considered streaming many times but never really done it, the #1 reason is that I'm just not funny enough, especially not without any co-commentators to talk to about the game, and therefore don't think I'd really be contributing anything.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Goonbowl is a semi-regular goon-only Blood Bowl league/tournament. I got placed in the primarily European division, which means I get to do cool stuff like get up at 5AM to play a video board game. I'm also going to be streaming my matches, and my first one is today. Probably no commentary, as my brain and body are basically dead.

https://www.twitch.tv/gnuordersa

Tiny Turtle
May 2, 2008

Hi, buddies!
So I've got a growing list of games I need to stream so I'm feeling the pressure to start powering through them. So until I have to raid at around 5:30 pm tonight (in 3 hours) I'm gonna be playing L.A. Noire! I'm gonna do our first arson case and see if we'll have even the faintest chance of murdering the motherfucker that wronged us. So if you want to solve some crimes, murder some people, get really depressed and get equally violent, join me!

https://www.twitch.tv/tinyturtlesa/

Also, doing a Party Hard & Hearthstone Arena stream tonight, the former having twitch integration shenanigans whoahoaha!

EDIT: Also, I'd love some opinions on what to stream next: http://strawpoll.me/5320232/

Tiny Turtle fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 26, 2015

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Roar posted:

Here's a discussion piece that I've been wondering: who have you all been watching stream? I've been looking for a new streamer or two to enjoy. Goon or non-goon is fine though I'm more looking into the latter since I already know most of the former. (please excuse any disjointed statements or typos in this, i am super tired)

To be quite honest, nobody.

I've popped into each streamer's stream that has been on here. Once. I have got quite a bit of enjoyment from listening to some of you, but from there on, there have been a plethora of problems which discourage me from coming back. I can't list them all, but here are the most prominent ones:

1. The games which are being played are generally the ones which have been run through the mill back and forth. I've seen DOTA. I've seen L.A. Noire. I've seen way too much Dark Souls. I've seen all of this stuff constantly being played, and nothing is being added to the table. No clever interpretations. No wit. No humor. No divergences within gameplay style. It's not fun for me to see people go through the motions.

2. Everyone is trying to go for a "chill vibe", rather than have any energy or enthusiasm behind their streams whatsoever. I consider this being used as an excuse for some: it's compensation for a direct lack of charisma or a direct lack of wanting to output energy and add something to the game altogether. It's not fun for me to see people go through the motions while they're clearly bored.

3. Most people fail to interact with the audience in any way whatsoever, or (in some cases) are actively antagonistic towards their audiences or cocommentators. It doesn't exactly make me want to come back to a stream if I see the audience being ignored or antagonized, whether it's for "entertainment purposes" or not. It's not fun for me to see people go through the motions while they're clearly bored and angry.

I popped into your streams, Roar, more than once for a period of time, mainly because you were playing Crystalis (an interesting cult-classic game which isn't normally streamed) or I wanted to throw in some song requests. That, and you're fun to listen to. You're good about talking to your viewers every so often, and keeping people engaged. However, I can't watch one of your streams from front to back because I generally get bored of the "chill vibe"; there's only so much Sunn O))) I can take before wanting to listen to some of The Ramones. That's my personal taste, however, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Maybe people like that kind of thing; I personally want to see things differentiate now and then between streamer to streamer on here, so I can find something new with everyone. The same goes for most goon streamers on here: show some enthusiasm. Do something new. Be ambitious. I've been trying to do this for the past few weeks now. The numbers may not be growing, but I can guarantee I've brought a smile to one or two people's faces because I've successfully entertained them that evening.

I'm not perfect either. I want to improve. I constantly find ways to try and improve my quality of streaming. If I suck, I want to be told I suck and why (and I encourage people to PM me about my streams and offer me some constructive criticism). If things can be improved, they should be. Perhaps if we keep raising the quality of our streams, we might (hypothetically) warrant our own subforum eventually.

Slur fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 26, 2015

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011

Roar posted:

I've been watching DarkTwinge for quite some time. I think he's done a good job of both keeping up an enthusiastic attitude and getting stream viewer participation going - often he hosts board game nights (like Hanabi) that he invites viewers to participate in, but even when playing less directly interactive games like FTL: Faster Than Light or Cook Serve Delicious, he'll still usually try to take breaks to respond to messages or ask for votes.

The chat also tends to come up with running jokes, some of which are better than others - for example, when DarkTwinge was running the FTL winstreak, he would often make a point of buying level 3 sensors, a particularly useless upgrade that doesn't really provide any useful extra information, doesn't help fight enemies better, and doesn't provide many "blue options" for extra resources - in other words, an indication that he had more scrap than he really needed to win the game. Chat then proceeded to call these "Swag Sensors" and the term spread to the r/ftlgame subreddit, and other forums.

It's not a particularly funny joke by any standards, but it shows some investment at least.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

I've been watching KZillaTV on twitch, recently. He's enthusiastic, he plays board games with the chat, and he's generally fun to watch.

As for low energy streams, I think it's entirely forgivable. There are those who don't stream to entertain, but rather, to unwind and hang out with people they barely know. It sucks to have to be "on for the camera" when you're trying to relax, not to mention difficult if you know you don't have much of an audience anyway.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

BattleCattle posted:

I've been watching KZillaTV on twitch, recently. He's enthusiastic, he plays board games with the chat, and he's generally fun to watch.

As for low energy streams, I think it's entirely forgivable. There are those who don't stream to entertain, but rather, to unwind and hang out with people they barely know. It sucks to have to be "on for the camera" when you're trying to relax, not to mention difficult if you know you don't have much of an audience anyway.

If you're not here to entertain, you're better off playing games on your own.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Slur posted:

If you're not here to entertain, you're better off playing games on your own.

That's certainly a school of thought.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Slur posted:

2. Everyone is trying to go for a "chill vibe", rather than have any energy or enthusiasm behind their streams whatsoever. I consider this more an excuse: it's compensation for a direct lack of charisma or a direct lack of wanting to output energy and add something to the game altogether. It's not fun for me to see people go through the motions while they're clearly bored.

Slur posted:

I popped into your streams, Roar, more than once for a period of time, mainly because you were playing Crystalis (an interesting cult-classic game which isn't normally streamed) or I wanted to throw in some song requests. You're good about talking to your viewers every so often, and keeping people engaged. However, I can't watch one of your streams from front to back because I generally get bored of the "chill vibe"; there's only so much Sunn O))) I can take before wanting to listen to some of The Ramones. The same goes for most goon streamers on here: show some enthusiasm. Do something new. Be ambitious. I've been trying to do this for the past few weeks now. The numbers may not be growing, but I can guarantee I've brought a smile to one or two people's faces because I've successfully entertained them that evening.

"You're streaming wrong. Stop being chill, chill is just some smoke and mirrors bullshit that you made up."

It's times like these that I'm glad Roar beat you to making this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

e.Whoops, wrong stream.