Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Has any State on the East Coast legalized?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tab8715 posted:

Nope, medical only, and almost exclusively legit medical i.e. you got fuckin' cancer or something.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Nintendo Kid posted:

Nope, medical only, and almost exclusively legit medical i.e. you got fuckin' cancer or something.

Washington, District of Columbia, motherfucker.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

How are u posted:

Now that it's looking like congress might get out of the way, how long until DC residents can buy it in a store?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

How are u posted:

Not a state (yet).

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Nintendo Kid posted:

Not a state (yet).

Puerto Rico will be a state before DC gets recognized, imo.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Powercrazy posted:

Puerto Rico will be a state before DC gets recognized, imo.

Probably, since states formed after the 18th Century have to at least pretend to not be completely dependent on their neighbors.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Marijuana legalization is on the ballot in Ohio! But it's not next year, it's this year, which does not bode well

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/08/12/ohio-vote-legalizing-marijuana/31558749/

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Didn't see that coming.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
A second American Indian tribe, this time in Wisconsin, is looking at legalizing cannabis on their reservation, with a vote happening later this week.

http://m.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/menominee-tribe-prepares-vote-on-legalizing-marijuana-b99557285z1-321993501.html

Also Idaho is gathering signatures to put decrim and MMJ on the November 2016 ballot. Next year might turn out to be the biggest year in cannabis electoral history, with easily 5-10 states voting to legalize recreational, and a smattering more looking to vote on MMJ.

http://www.theweedblog.com/valid-signatures-are-needed-to-put-medical-marijuana-on-the-idaho-ballot/

quote:

Two individual cities in Maine have legalized recreational, but that's largely symbolic since State authorities are still keeping weed down. DC legalized but is blocked from opening recreational stores until we can finagle the clause specifically designed to do such from the annual budget Congress bestows on us. Until then DC just allows home-grown and home consumption, but still a huge step forward. The DC State Fair is even having a cannabis judging event this year.

Maine and Massachusetts are both looking to have 2016 ballot initiatives for full legalization (though lots of steps and internal feuds between now and then). And Vermont and Rhode Island have no ballot initiative process but have legislatures taking hard looks at legalizing. So safe money is that the first state in the East to legalize will be one of those. I'd put money on Vermont doing so next spring/summer since they stalled for time and ran out the clock on their legislative session this year, but likely the issue will be more prominent and hard to dodge next year's session.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 17, 2015

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Amused to Death posted:

Marijuana legalization is on the ballot in Ohio! But it's not next year, it's this year, which does not bode well

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/08/12/ohio-vote-legalizing-marijuana/31558749/

gently caress creating a cartel. That is ABSOLUTELY not the way to do it. The amount of money spent on that amendment, complete with "investor language" is a travesty.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Is California planning at another attempt to legalize next year?

It's feels that if a State that large makes that decision, everyone else will follow and tigers no way of turning back that tide.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tab8715 posted:

Is California planning at another attempt to legalize next year?

It's feels that if a State that large makes that decision, everyone else will follow and tigers no way of turning back that tide.

They sure are.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

On another note, what's preventing marijuana bars?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tab8715 posted:

Public smoking laws deal with a whole bunch of it since that's what most people do. I believe there are also laws specifically against having marijuana in public (i.e., non-residence) locations.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Powercrazy posted:

gently caress creating a cartel. That is ABSOLUTELY not the way to do it. The amount of money spent on that amendment, complete with "investor language" is a travesty.

It's better than nothing. It really won't ever be legalized here without corporate (cartel) backing thanks to all the mouth-breathers who live everywhere outside NE Ohio and Columbus.

I'm in favor of legalization by degrees rather than nothing at all.

I don't think a more decent amendment will even make it onto the ballot. It'll be this, federal legalization, or nothing here in OH.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

computer parts posted:

Public smoking laws deal with a whole bunch of it since that's what most people do. I believe there are also laws specifically against having marijuana in public (i.e., non-residence) locations.

There is a bit of a push to change this in the city of Denver proper right now. I haven't seen any specific polling, but it seems to be a step too far for a lot of my facebook friends that really weren't marijuana users but supported Amendment 64.

No one has proposed this, but I'd be fine with limiting consumption in general public places like concert venues and bars to non-combustible options like vaping and edibles, to cut the smoking argument at its knees.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

There is some movement to get an initiative on the ballot in CO this fall to allow consumption of marijuana at bars - though only edibles would be allowed inside, actually smoking it would be relegated to patios and balconies, much like cigarette smoking is currently.

If the response on local social media is anything to go by, it's not a very popular idea.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I'm wondering what kinds of concerts these people attend where the notion of stoned people being there is so outrageous. I don't think I've been to a concert where there wasn't someone smoking, I even went to one where people were just randomly passing around joints.

Beaters
Jun 28, 2004

SOWING SEEDS
OF MISERY SINCE 1937
FRYING LIKE A FRITO
IN THE SKILLET
OF HADES
SINCE 1975

Powercrazy posted:

Yes, it's a lovely idea. However, the cartel part might be challenged in court on the basis of creation of a monopoly. My take is try to pass the measure and then immediately sue over the monopolistic provision.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Beaters posted:

Yes, it's a lovely idea. However, the cartel part might be challenged in court on the basis of creation of a monopoly. My take is try to pass the measure and then immediately sue over the monopolistic provision.

Yea it would be nice. And I can't imagine it not happening. Monopoly's are actually illegal, and having a codified cartel make's it pretty obvious what's going on. However Oligopolies are not illegal so long as they don't collude. Good luck proving these 6? independent companies are colluding and carving out regional monopolies (even though they obviously will).

Seraph84
Aug 9, 2015

by XyloJW
Someone please burn Albany to the ground k thx

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Seraph84 posted:

What did our idiot governor do this time?

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Seraph84 posted:

Which Albany? New York?

Seraph84
Aug 9, 2015

by XyloJW

hangedman1984 posted:

Which Albany? New York?
That's the one

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I've been reading up more on the increasing number of states, just in the last few years, and allow CBD oil but no other form of cannabis. To one degree, it's still a step forward since it at least opens one avenue of research, and allegedly it has been really helpful for the specific cases of epilepsy it's meant to treat.

Looking at the laws more though: man they got some chickenshit legislators. In several of these, like Utah and Tennessee, they legalize possession and use of CBD oil, for people that have certain chronic conditions and a physician's recommendation (and in some cases pay mult-hundred dollar fees), but don't allow it to be made/sold in the state and require patients to drive to some other state with an MMJ program and illegally bring it across federal lines. Real class act there, one of those cases of "this is the least I could do. No really, literally, it's like the most minimal thing I could possibly do without doing anything at all." And this is from states that are supposedly all chest-poundy about ARE STATES RIGHTS and standing up to the Feds, but they're too scared to let people make epilepsy medication despite the fact that dozens of states are letting patients fire up fat blunts and are 98% getting away with it.

EDIT: the governor of Idaho vetoed a CBD bill that passed his Senate and House

http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/boise/2015/apr/16/otter-vetoes-bill-allow-cbd-oil-be-used-treat-sick-idaho-kids/ posted:

"Of course I sympathize with the heartbreaking dilemma facing some families trying to cope with the debilitating impacts of disease... [but] it ignores ongoing scientific testing on alternative treatments... It asks us to trust but not to verify. It asks us to legalize the limited use of cannabidiol oil, contrary to federal law. And it asks us to look past the potential for misuse and abuse with criminal intent."

Idaho: famous for dogged adherence to federal law and vigilance against criminal intent. That and methamphetamine and the former literal headquarters of the Aryan Nations.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 25, 2015

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Goon project:

I've been working (with my burner goon/controversy account) on Wikipedia to improve cannabis coverage, so I've done a number of articles like "Cannabis in Wyoming" and "Cannabis in Chile" in an attempt to expand the coverage by US state and by country. I've noticed that our go-to map of US legality is both out of date and has some errors, as does/did the template of states and their categorizations.

Could we get a couple of goons to take a squint at the following and let us know where there are errors? You can post your comments here and I can execute or relay them, or you can post in the WikiProject Cannabis thread (either with your WP account or as an IP). Thanks for any help sorting this out:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:WikiProject_Cannabis#We_need_to_deconflict_the_US_template_and_US_map.3B_help.3F

This map appears at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legality_of_cannabis_by_U.S._jurisdiction and should match what's on the page, but they're probably no synced up.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 25, 2015

Sundayturks
May 31, 2011

You were expecting...Sandy Claws?

Fun Shoe
The Government has responded to the petition you signed – “Make the production, sale and use of cannabis legal.”.

Government responded:

UK Government posted:

Substantial scientific evidence shows cannabis is a harmful drug that can damage human health. There are no plans to legalise cannabis as it would not address the harm to individuals and communities.

The latest evidence from the independent Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs is that the use of cannabis is a significant public health issue (‘Cannabis Classification and Public Health’, 2008).

Cannabis can unquestionably cause harm to individuals and society. Legalisation of cannabis would not eliminate the crime committed by the illicit trade, nor would it address the harms associated with drug dependence and the misery that this can cause to families.

Legalisation would also send the wrong message to the vast majority of people who do not take drugs, especially young and vulnerable people, with the potential grave risk of increased misuse of drugs.

Despite the potential opportunity offered by legalisation to raise revenue through taxation, there would be costs in relation to administrative, compliance and law enforcement activities, as well as the wider costs of drug prevention and health services.

The UK's approach on drugs remains clear: we must prevent drug use in our communities; help dependent individuals through treatment and wider recovery support; while ensuring law enforcement protects society by stopping the supply and tackling the organised crime that is associated with the drugs trade. The Government will build on the Drugs Strategy by continuing to take a balanced and coherent approach to address the evolving challenges posed.

There are positive signs that the Government’s approach is working: there has been a long term downward trend in drug use over the last decade, and more people are recovering from their dependency now than in 2009/10. The number of adults aged 16-59 using cannabis in the last year in England and Wales has declined over the last decade from 9.6% to 6.7%, with cannabis use amongst young adults aged 16-24 and young people aged 11-15 following a similar pattern.

Woke up to this email regarding that online petition that got 203k signatures. What a joke.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
I love that for some reason taxing and regulating tobacco sends the 'right message' but taxing and regulating cannabis sends the 'wrong message'.

:bang:

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I think the UK petition is still overall a positive thing, in that it forced the government to respond to people (even if just to repeat its usual message), and that's 203,000 people who are now potentially ticked off at the government for being dickish after they took the time to express their opinion. And I'd imagine the costs of creating and publicizing the petition are relatively low and a lot of the work done free through social media propagation, so it's not like vast resources were spent to get this out, right?

Digging more on the USA side, the more I read about the trends the more promising this all seems. There are only like a dozen states left that have no form of legal cannabids whatsoever, and unless I've missed one or two it seems that basically every state that doesn't have either MMJ or CBD oil has had serious efforts for CBD, Decrim, or MMJ in the past two years, so really almost no pockets in the whole country where people aren't publicly fighting to open up cannabis laws.

Speaking of which: Pennsylvanians, get off your asses, this is just looking sad. Pennsylvania is one of those few states with no legal/decrim cannabis of any sort on the state level, putting y'all in such company as Iowa, Kansas, and American Samoa. The good news is that Pennsylvania still has a shot at getting full MMJ passed this year, and they're right in the middle of campaigning to get it through.

If you're involved in PA, check out http://new.phillynorml.org/campaigns and do whatever they're asking in terms of writing your reps, and if you can come to some hearings/meetings/rallies, chip in some cash, etc. Look at the map a few posts above, see what kind of states PA falls in with, and what states you want PA to catch up to, and let that motivate you.

Sundayturks
May 31, 2011

You were expecting...Sandy Claws?

Fun Shoe

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I think the UK petition is still overall a positive thing, in that it forced the government to respond to people (even if just to repeat its usual message), and that's 203,000 people who are now potentially ticked off at the government for being dickish after they took the time to express their opinion. And I'd imagine the costs of creating and publicizing the petition are relatively low and a lot of the work done free through social media propagation, so it's not like vast resources were spent to get this out, right?

Aye, that's true and good. Raising awareness is how progress is made, after all.
I agree that once America has a healthy majority with full legalization it'll be pretty awkward for the UK to look East to the Netherlands, West to the USA - and still sit there gently burbling about dangerous skunk and overdoses.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
There's a bone thugs song where they talk about how we should be able to kick it at home like it was on in Amsterdam. Looks like the shoes on the other foot now europoors

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Sundayturks posted:

Aye, that's true and good. Raising awareness is how progress is made, after all.
I agree that once America has a healthy majority with full legalization it'll be pretty awkward for the UK to look East to the Netherlands, West to the USA - and still sit there gently burbling about dangerous skunk and overdoses.
They can always just look West to Ireland and start throwing grenades at head shops.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Speaking of which: Pennsylvanians, get off your asses, this is just looking sad. Pennsylvania is one of those few states with no legal/decrim cannabis of any sort on the state level, putting y'all in such company as Iowa, Kansas, and American Samoa. The good news is that Pennsylvania still has a shot at getting full MMJ passed this year, and they're right in the middle of campaigning to get it through.

Have you ever tried to buy alcohol in Pennsylvania? They will be the very last state on the East Coast to legalize anything regarding weed. They are a state full of slovenly and dumb-bad people.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I would support PA only selling recreational weed through state-run stores, just for the heart attacks it'll cause in dumbasses nationwide over TAX DOLLARS SELLING DRUGS.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Powercrazy posted:

I heard an interesting take on this by Ethan Nadalmann which was basically - this could be a good thing, because there is so much public outrage over this, that aspect will likely be undone and no one will EVER try anything like that again.

Tab8715 posted:

I don't know, but the first place that does this is going to make so much money. I don't understand weed tourism in places like Colorado. So you get to buy it and...smoke it all holed up in your hotel room? That sounds terrible. Yeah, you can get away with smoking in public, but it's not the same. Amsterdam style coffee shops are the way to go.

How are u posted:

Have you ever tried to buy alcohol in Pennsylvania? They will be the very last state on the East Coast to legalize anything regarding weed. They are a state full of slovenly and dumb-bad people.

As a form PA resident who's watched the state fail to change their arcane liquor laws, you're probably right.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

District Selectman posted:

I don't know, but the first place that does this is going to make so much money. I don't understand weed tourism in places like Colorado. So you get to buy it and...smoke it all holed up in your hotel room? That sounds terrible. Yeah, you can get away with smoking in public, but it's not the same. Amsterdam style coffee shops are the way to go.

Dude what the hell? Colorado has some excellent wilderness to go have a like in while high, or in the ski season some excellent skiing.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah seriously, have you never smoked weed in the woods before? It's great.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Wildfire smoking bans apply to weed too and don't bring up vaping because you can surreptitiously vape anywhere already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Nintendo Kid posted:

Dude what the hell? Colorado has some excellent wilderness to go have a like in while high, or in the ski season some excellent skiing.

I know, I've done it in fact! I walk around Denver vaping all the time, did it in Philly too. I'm saying you can get away with it, but it's not technically legal, and having a weed bar would be different and better!

• Locked thread