Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

I'm still holding out for the T-Wing to show up as a Scum ship. Galaxies is way overrepresented in Scum, it needs to be balanced out with stuff from that other X-Wing game series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Poopy Palpy posted:

I'm still holding out for the T-Wing to show up as a Scum ship. Galaxies is way overrepresented in Scum, it needs to be balanced out with stuff from that other X-Wing game series.

Normally I'd say that there wasn't any seeming need for Scum to have another "generic starfighter" type ship with them having the Headhunter, Syck, and Khiraxz on hand, but I guess they're gonna need something with a Tallon Roll eventually.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I was considering buying the starter set today to give the game a try with a friend. With only three ships, does it still provide a basic idea of the game? I know nothing about how it plays.

Also I skimmed the last page or so and I see something about a new starter set and new... deck? Is the new set out of should I wait?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I was considering buying the starter set today to give the game a try with a friend. With only three ships, does it still provide a basic idea of the game? I know nothing about how it plays.

Also I skimmed the last page or so and I see something about a new starter set and new... deck? Is the new set out of should I wait?

Wait a few weeks and buy the new starter set with the stuff from the new film.

Exactly the same number of models.

You can play a basic game, which will be fun. What you might then do is get another Tie fighter and X wing and play 60 point games, 2 vs 3.

After that you'll end up buying everything.

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I say buy the core set now. It will get you into the basics and by the time the new core set is released you'll already be a junkie.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

Normally I'd say that there wasn't any seeming need for Scum to have another "generic starfighter" type ship with them having the Headhunter, Syck, and Khiraxz on hand, but I guess they're gonna need something with a Tallon Roll eventually.

Scum also do not have a counterpart to the A-Wing/TIE Interceptor (The StarViper maybe but not really?), so the T-Wing would be a good fit.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

I think that's what the Scyk is trying to be, but it really isn't. The Star Viper is more of a TIE Defender/E-Wing superfighter analog.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I'm okay with not having easily identifiable analogues between factions, because it gives the factions a sort of identity beyond pilot names that nobody actually cares about once the dice start rolling.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I'm kind of surprised that FFG hasn't putout some kind of pricy plastic templates for this. I figured there would be a lot of people wanting those

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I'm kind of surprised that FFG hasn't putout some kind of pricy plastic templates for this. I figured there would be a lot of people wanting those

They save those for regional tournament awards.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Isn't the T-Wing basically the A-wing's down syndrome cousin (both in looks and ability)? Isn't there a cooler ship out there in the extended universe? :[

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Geisladisk posted:

Scum also do not have a counterpart to the A-Wing/TIE Interceptor (The StarViper maybe but not really?), so the T-Wing would be a good fit.

Brobots are scum's arc-dodgers :greencube:

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Nephzinho posted:

If they don't require it for official events, there will be people at official events arguing it (or flat out denying they have it).

After seeing spergs at my store get into a literal shouting match over the boba fett cards and the symbol for shooting in both arcs, I'm really hoping ffg sees the light and FAQs it swiftly. Though people could not be spergs about it too. That would work.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Razzled posted:

Isn't the T-Wing basically the A-wing's down syndrome cousin (both in looks and ability)? Isn't there a cooler ship out there in the extended universe? :[

Most of them are also dumb. I kinda liked the design on this guy, at least.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

This game is both fun and cool. And the rules aren't stupid. Thanks for nothing the last twelve years, Games Workshop.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Strobe posted:

That is a cool looking ship. Reminds me of the Rifter from EVE. Now if only it came with a pronounceable name..

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Razzled posted:

Look man, this is a game with the K-Wing. Nothing is true, everything is permitted (except assault gunboats and missile boats I guess).

That said:

Strobe posted:

This dude is cool. At the risk of shoving things into boxes I can see this being a B-Wing or Punisher equivalent, a big beefy chunk-machine with high durability but a sluggish dial, though I can't think of anything especially inspired to do with it. I guess that's why I'm not an award-winning game designer.

I would legitimately love for FFG to release an "ugly" fighter for scum. Since the "low cost throwaway" ship spot is more or less securely held by the Headhunter (and I doubt FFG is ever going to make a ship that costs less than 12 points naked) what I think would be cool is to have it be a single ship which you can equip with variable titles that change its stats and performance. One version's more lightly armored and nimble, one's more heavily armed and armored but comes with extra ordnance slots, one's all kinds of weird and has an astromech slot maybe, I dunno. I just want a crazy kitbash junkfighter.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
If the Scum don't get the Clutch or TIE-Ball, I will be most disappointed.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

TheTofuShop posted:

After seeing spergs at my store get into a literal shouting match over the boba fett cards and the symbol for shooting in both arcs, I'm really hoping ffg sees the light and FAQs it swiftly. Though people could not be spergs about it too. That would work.

Now I'm curious, what exactly were they mad about?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Geisladisk posted:

Now I'm curious, what exactly were they mad about?

The Scum Boba Fett card was slightly misprinted. Normally when a ship has special firing conditions for its primary weapon (such as the turret on the YT-1300) then that's denoted on the pilot card (in the YT's case by a circular arrow surrounding the attack stat icon). Well the Firespray, Boba Fett's ship, has two firing arcs, a fore and a rear one, and yet on the pilot card that came with the Scum & Villainy pack it didn't have the expected iconography, appearing to be just a standard ship's attack icon without the symbol denoting the rear arc.

Note that the scum bases for the Firespray itself do have the proper printed firing arc shown unambiguously. It's a minor misprint and it's abundantly clear that any Firespray pilot is expected to have both the fore and rear arcs available to them, but some people naturally pitched a dumb fit about it insisting that because of that misprint that it meant the Firespray could only use its forward arc or something stupid and FFG has of course issued errata explicitly stating "this was a misprint, don't be dumb yo."

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The main issue is that the rulebook specifically said that the thing that matters is what is printed on the card, not on the base. It was obviously a misprint, but the shitters that would use this as an advantage had the backing of the RAW, so it was good that FFG printed the errata, as unnecessary as it seems.

This would have only affected tourneys and thankfully most TOs just said 'you are loving dumb' when people tried to take advantage of the issue, but rule clarity IMO is important since it's one of the good things about X-Wing compared to other miniature wargames.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

If someone would have tried that on me I would have just conceded the game right there and let them have a win. They obviously need it more then I do. The sliver of joy they get from winning at plastic spaceships might just be the only light in their lives.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Kai Tave posted:

This dude is cool. At the risk of shoving things into boxes I can see this being a B-Wing or Punisher equivalent, a big beefy chunk-machine with high durability but a sluggish dial, though I can't think of anything especially inspired to do with it. I guess that's why I'm not an award-winning game designer.

I think the Mist Hunter is going to be something akin to the B-wing in gameplay terms. Weak dial, strong statline(8 hp, 3 attack). Probably 22 or 23 points because it comes with a crew slot innately.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Kai Tave posted:

The Scum Boba Fett card was slightly misprinted. Normally when a ship has special firing conditions for its primary weapon (such as the turret on the YT-1300) then that's denoted on the pilot card (in the YT's case by a circular arrow surrounding the attack stat icon). Well the Firespray, Boba Fett's ship, has two firing arcs, a fore and a rear one, and yet on the pilot card that came with the Scum & Villainy pack it didn't have the expected iconography, appearing to be just a standard ship's attack icon without the symbol denoting the rear arc.

Note that the scum bases for the Firespray itself do have the proper printed firing arc shown unambiguously. It's a minor misprint and it's abundantly clear that any Firespray pilot is expected to have both the fore and rear arcs available to them, but some people naturally pitched a dumb fit about it insisting that because of that misprint that it meant the Firespray could only use its forward arc or something stupid and FFG has of course issued errata explicitly stating "this was a misprint, don't be dumb yo."

But also note that the VCX-100 has the same rear arc printed on its base but by all indications can't use it to shoot without the Ghost title and the Phantom attached. A ship with an aux firing arc that wasn't generally usable for primary weapons was in fact design space the game allowed for, just not yet. And since I'm a sperg, FFG didn't technically issue an errata, they put a question asking "was that a misprint?" question in the FAQ. Different section of the document. :spergin:

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Poopy Palpy posted:

But also note that the VCX-100 has the same rear arc printed on its base but by all indications can't use it to shoot without the Ghost title and the Phantom attached. A ship with an aux firing arc that wasn't generally usable for primary weapons was in fact design space the game allowed for, just not yet. And since I'm a sperg, FFG didn't technically issue an errata, they put a question asking "was that a misprint?" question in the FAQ. Different section of the document. :spergin:

We haven't seen everything with the VCX-100 and the assault shuttle yet. I have a feeling that if you don't take the title cards, you won't be able to deploy a shuttle, but you will always have the rear arc available for shooting.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

"While you are docked, the Ghost can perform primary weapon attacks from its special firing arc and, at the end of the Combat phase, it may perform an additional attack with an equipped Turret. If it performs this attack, it cannot attack again this round."

Why would it specifically state that you can perform primary weapon attacks from the special firing arc if it can do it even without the title? Sure, there could be an upgrade card that allows you to do it even without the title, but that doesn't seem likely.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

Look man, this is a game with the K-Wing. Nothing is true, everything is permitted (except assault gunboats and missile boats I guess).

Oh god, even a generic Missile Boat would cost like 60. And still be one of the best ships in the game. :magical:

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Tekopo posted:

"While you are docked, the Ghost can perform primary weapon attacks from its special firing arc and, at the end of the Combat phase, it may perform an additional attack with an equipped Turret. If it performs this attack, it cannot attack again this round."

Why would it specifically state that you can perform primary weapon attacks from the special firing arc if it can do it even without the title? Sure, there could be an upgrade card that allows you to do it even without the title, but that doesn't seem likely.

I just noticed they called it a "special firing arc" and not an auxiliary firing arc. I am at work and can't check, but does the rear arc on a Firespray look different from the rear arc in the Ghost preview pic? That might be a pretty subtle difference that a lot of people may not pick up on right away.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Orvin posted:

I just noticed they called it a "special firing arc" and not an auxiliary firing arc. I am at work and can't check, but does the rear arc on a Firespray look different from the rear arc in the Ghost preview pic? That might be a pretty subtle difference that a lot of people may not pick up on right away.

Yeah it's an important difference. I've had to argue with people saying the 360 turret works the same way as auxiliary arc and trying to claim AT bonus.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Reasonable deal on Massdrop today. Pick four out of A-wing, B-wing, E-wing, Y-wing, Rebel Z-95, TIE/Adv and TIE/B, pay about forty bucks. https://www.massdrop.com/buy/star-wars-x-wing-bundle-4-pack

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Orvin posted:

It's difficult to tell but there is a symbol on the base in the preview picture that seems slightly weird in comparison to the Firespray. I can't make out what it is, though.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

TARDISman posted:

Oh god, even a generic Missile Boat would cost like 60. And still be one of the best ships in the game. :magical:

Missile boats/Assault gunboats won't get added because they don't fit the aesthetic of the rest of the Empire's ships at all, rather than any gameplay reason.

Besides, the Empire already has a ordnance truck, the TIE Bomber.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Well, two ordnance trucks, there's the Punisher now as well. I agree that the Missile Boat is unlikely to be released. As for the Assault Gunboat not fitting the aesthetic, well, to be honest, neither does the Shuttle or the Firespray and there is the Assault Gunboat/Shuttle link after all. As well as the fact that the Assault Gunboat did appear within the FFG SW RPGs.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Geisladisk posted:

Missile boats/Assault gunboats won't get added because they don't fit the aesthetic of the rest of the Empire's ships at all, rather than any gameplay reason.

Besides, the Empire already has a ordnance truck, the TIE Bomber.
Yeah well they made the K-wing, the dumbest looking ship that has external ordnance mounts which no other ship in star wars has. The funny thing is that it's from a really lovely little comic book that nobody's even heard of.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah well they made the K-wing, the dumbest looking ship that has external ordnance mounts which no other ship in star wars has. The funny thing is that it's from a really lovely little comic book that nobody's even heard of.

K-wings own. The TIE Punisher looks stupid
:shobon:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Chill la Chill posted:

It's also mentioned in the Dark Fleet trilogy.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

alg posted:

Actually they both look stupid. :cool:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Geisladisk posted:

they don't fit the aesthetic of the rest of the Empire's ships at all

There is literally no reason why "the Empire's aesthetic" should just be pasting loving TIE panels on everything. The assault gunboat and missile boat fit in just fine.

e; they should have given us the Scimitar instead of "the TIE bomber, but with more bombs" though.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

alg posted:

You have that backwards. The TIE punisher looks delightfully bombastic. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

There is literally no reason why "the Empire's aesthetic" should just be pasting loving TIE panels on everything. The assault gunboat and missile boat fit in just fine.

Ships within a faction need to have some kind of unified aesthetic to look half decent, or the game will just look like a jumbled mess. Scum gets a pass because it's supposed to be literally a jumbled mess of ships.

The Assault Gunboat looks like loving rear end. It's colour scheme doesn't even remotely look like anything else the empire has. The design is uninspired and ugly. It's just a terrible design that some programmer-cum-artist knocked up for X-Wing vs TIE Fighter.

I did look up the X-Wing Alliance redesign for the Missile boat, and it actually looks pretty good, with visual tie-ins to the shuttle:

quote:

e; they should have given us the Scimitar instead of "the TIE bomber, but with more bombs" though.

:agreed:

Chill la Chill posted:

You have that backwards. The TIE punisher looks delightfully bombastic. :3:

It follows the design philosophy of the TIE Defender wonderfully: They looked at a Bomber and thought, "what if we do this... but... more"

• Locked thread