Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Massive
Apr 8, 2004

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Properly seasoned carbon steel is just as nonstick as that cheap crap, and isn't going to warp, and will last a lifetime. Get carbon steel people!

Do you have a recommendation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Literally anything that doesn't have a dumb handle or huge fuckoff rivets.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

If you already own cast iron, wouldn't you be better served with a multi-clad pan instead of a carbon steel pan?

You'd get the faster and more even heating, the lighter weight, and be able to cook more acidic foods.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Sure, but if you have cast iron and multiclad already, carbon steel would be a fun third wife

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
I've had lower quality all-clads delaminate, because I use insanely high heat when I want to do south east asian food. The only thing I've found up to the task is either carbon steel or an enamelled cast iron, and between those I prefer the cast iron, because I don't have large burners so when I drop a load of cold veg and tofu and poo poo in my pan I'm not sucking all the heat out immediately.

(Enamel is the god-king of cooking surfaces)

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
Can somebody recommend a type of kitchen towel or a material that won't shed fibers all over the stuff I'm trying to clean? I've noticed that thinner, more canvas-like material that doesn't have any fluff to begin with tends to be more tidy; but it also gets soaked very fast. If anybody has another option for me I'd appreciate it.

But please don't say microfiber; please please don't say microfiber. I can't stand touching that stuff.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Copper Vein posted:

Can somebody recommend a type of kitchen towel or a material that won't shed fibers all over the stuff I'm trying to clean? I've noticed that thinner, more canvas-like material that doesn't have any fluff to begin with tends to be more tidy; but it also gets soaked very fast. If anybody has another option for me I'd appreciate it.

But please don't say microfiber; please please don't say microfiber. I can't stand touching that stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/LUNATEC%C2%AE-Odor-Free-Dishcloths-scrubber-scouring/dp/B00P9WERCQ/

I swear by these things for cleaning, but they're not really a drying cloth. They're for light scrubbing. They rinse clean very easily so you don't get tons of gross mold like you would get with a scrubber sponge, yet they hold onto soap foam just fine. Because they don't harbor mold, they also last much longer than a sponge.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
Ok, I'll give those a look. But maybe wasn't being clear that I'm looking for a cloth that doesn't shed so I can dry stuff. I seem to always be generating more wet items than I have space for on my drying rack.

You don't dry plates with those do you?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Yeah, you did say clean, not dry. Welp

I just let my dishes air dry personally

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001
If you don't like microfibers because of the "grabby" sensation, you could try the waffle weave type microfibers. They don't have the same grabby sensation that the normal terry type has. But waffle weave also can't be wrung out like the normal terry weave; once it is saturated it's pretty much useless until it dries out.

Other than that maybe a synthetic chamois (Absorber, Water Sprite, or similar) - you have to keep them damp to be pliable, and they don't seem to get things bone dry, but if you give your stuff a wipe with it they'll probably air dry in a minute or two, or you could follow up with a cotton herringbone dishtowel to pick up the minimal remaining moisture, which are low lint, and I think might be what you're already using.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

me your dad posted:

I'm looking to replace my current saute pan. I have the popular T-fal with the temperature indicator (which never seemed to actually work). The nonstick coating is pretty much roasted, and the pan has a convex surface, meaning all oils will pool to the sides. I'm not a fan of this pan, man.

I'd like something in the same size and I'm willing to pay up to $50.

Calphalon. Go to TJ Maxx and grab one on the cheap.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

angor posted:

Calphalon. Go to TJ Maxx and grab one on the cheap.
Anodized non-stick is the only way to fly.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The other place to get Calphalon nonstick anodized pans is at Bed Bath and Beyond. They have a pair (10 inch and 12 inch) for $50, use a 20% off coupon and you get two pans for $40.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Has anyone heard of or used AMT Gastroguss pans? There's a shop here that carries them and they feel pretty decent. In the market for a new small nonstick pot for oatmeal and stuff.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Massive posted:

Inspired yes! Also saw an article posted on Serious Eats... You have experience with them?

FYI, the America's Test Kitchen videos on gear really do tell you everything you need to know. As they note, a cheapass carbon steel pan is perfect if the shape is good.

On the topic of enamel cast iron- although it's not as accessible as a pan, you could get a dutch oven, and then you'd have a dutch oven. Probably not a great idea for everyday veggie stir fry, but a brilliant idea if you might want to do roasts and such.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I need another thermos. I have a couple of the old Stanley ones (one from the 50s, one from the 60s) and they're great, but they don't fit so well in my saddlebags with all my other gear, and so I'm looking for something smaller for lugging around to class this fall. Maybe something around 24oz. Anyway, all the reviews for Stanley, Thermos, Isosteel and all the other brands that I see online say everything is a bunch of glued together plastic garbage these days. Is there any actually rugged thermos made these days?

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Just for like coffee/tea, or for soup or similar stuff as well? For the former, Zojirushi seems to have legions of fans. For the latter, no idea.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Schpyder posted:

Just for like coffee/tea, or for soup or similar stuff as well? For the former, Zojirushi seems to have legions of fans. For the latter, no idea.

Yeah I like my zojirushi. It's double walled stainless with a little vacuum seal thing. Never leaks or dribbles, keeps coffee steaming hot for 6-8 hours assuming the coffee lasts that long.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Sweet, thanks.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I need another thermos. I have a couple of the old Stanley ones (one from the 50s, one from the 60s) and they're great, but they don't fit so well in my saddlebags with all my other gear, and so I'm looking for something smaller for lugging around to class this fall. Maybe something around 24oz. Anyway, all the reviews for Stanley, Thermos, Isosteel and all the other brands that I see online say everything is a bunch of glued together plastic garbage these days. Is there any actually rugged thermos made these days?

Zoji is the top of the line for... everything in that arena.

Nerd talking point: Thermos is a brand name, the guy who invented it was Dewar, so "Dewar flask" is the real generic name. Which normally people wouldn't care but there's a movement to use the scientific name, and this actually makes it possible to find boutique products because they're the ones nerdy enough not to market themselves as a thermos anymore.

So if for some reason the Zoji isn't just right for you, try a Google trip down Dewar lane, and you'll find tons of custom items begging for your dollars.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Wiggles posted:

im assuming you need an actual thermos, but I decided to throw out all my old water bottles and search for a new one recently. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EGO64U?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00 I got this thing and it does like everything I want and more. the locking mechanism is really nice, it seals really well, pops open with one hand, can latch it on poo poo, it's great. It looks like they make vaccum seal versions of basically the identical product, I'd probably give one of those a go if I ever needed something insulated.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

That's pretty good, thanks! I've got a collection of nalgenes built up over the years so I'm pretty good on water, but it was finding that bottle which would keep my tea warm on the 80 mile ride in but then not be too big to lug all around campus with my other stuff. And not leak. And last a long time.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Yeah, Zoji. Supposedly some Thermos-brand vacuum flasks are still steel/steel with good vacuum and durability, but I don't know which models those are.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Refurb/scratch-and-dent Thermapen sale going on, $69 with full normal warranty:

http://thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/splashproof_thermapen_open_box_sale_aug_2015.html?tw=ALB

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
There's some T-Fal Tri-Ply on Amazon lightning deals right now, along with a t-fal pressure cooker, someone else can chime in on the quality of either.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

deimos posted:

There's some T-Fal Tri-Ply on Amazon lightning deals right now, along with a t-fal pressure cooker, someone else can chime in on the quality of either.

The pressure cookers are fine, nothing spectacular, but if they're cheap I see no reason to recommend against them. I haven't used their tri ply, but the only nonstick pan I own is a tfal. It works well enough for what I use it for, which is eggs and crepes.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I've got this thermos and it seems to work pretty well. The main part is all metal and it has a fairly solid plastic plug. It's also got a little screw off cup that I enjoy. You twist the plug 1/4 of a turn or so and can pour past the plug without totally removing it. I don't know how long it would seal well for, but as long as the gaskets stay fairly intact I think it would do a good job. I like this style since it's easy to clean and there's no fancy internal mechanisms, just a plug and a cup and a stainless dewar.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Is the general consensus that pull-through knife sharpeners are crap and just get a whetstone?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Josh Lyman posted:

Is the general consensus that pull-through knife sharpeners are crap and just get a whetstone?

Yep. Either get an Edge Pro or knockoff (along with an angle cube and possibly third party stones) or a set of stones. The first one is the right choice.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Josh Lyman posted:

Pull through is still better than nothing

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Protip: do what I did and buy a cheap pull-through sharpener and use it every time you use your knife in lieu of a honing rod. It will drastically decrease the lifespan of the knife, but that's okay because it's just a plain old Fibrox and you want to do that to give yourself an excuse to buy an even better knife!

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

Pull through is still better than nothing

If you are Africa poor and buying a more expensive sharpener means you can't buy medicine for your sick children, then yes, a pull through is better than nothing.

The Spyderco Sharpmaker is a decent option, as well. I'd take that over getting a crappy Chinese EdgePro knockoff that may or may not have various build problems.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

revdrkevind posted:

If you are Africa poor and buying a more expensive sharpener means you can't buy medicine for your sick children, then yes, a pull through is better than nothing.

The Spyderco Sharpmaker is a decent option, as well. I'd take that over getting a crappy Chinese EdgePro knockoff that may or may not have various build problems.

If you are that poor some automotive sandpaper attached to a hard surface is even cheaper and much better.

Also the EP knock off is fine build quality wise, plenty of people here have it and can attest to that. It's also better than the Sharpmaker because of the upgrade options, because it holds an angel much better that the Sharpmaker and because it's half the price of the Sharpmaker.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

If you are that poor some automotive sandpaper attached to a hard surface is even cheaper and much better.
This is true, with the minor caveat that most inexpensive sandpaper uses aluminium oxide as the abrasive and so is not what you want for many high-end knife steels. But I don't know what kind of corner case you'd have to have where you're buying expensive-rear end knives but can't afford to sharpen them.

That said, an 8" Norton Crystolon combination stone costs around US$20 which is within rounding error of what an e.g. Accu Sharp pull-through sharpener costs. And you can get less expensive, smaller Norton stones if :20bux: is somehow or other too spendy for something that will last you years (especially at the rate someone considering using a pull-through is likely to use it).

Massive
Apr 8, 2004
A bit late to this sharpening convo – did I miss a recommendation for a good whetstone? I have this King #1000 / #6000 stone in my amazon wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DT1X9O/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=7DJA1J7NK1GK&coliid=I2HHTV0MOX7ZSA&psc=1

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Confession: I get my knives professionally sharpened. I own a decent whetstone and know how to use it, but I'm lazy. I do use the steel rod to keep my knives well honed, that makes the edge last a lot longer before it needs metal removal.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Attention poors who don't own a Thermapen: until August 28th they're having a sale, use coupon code SITEWIDE15. Brings the price down to $79. Still expensive, but worth it for a brand new one!

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Massive posted:

A bit late to this sharpening convo – did I miss a recommendation for a good whetstone? I have this King #1000 / #6000 stone in my amazon wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DT1X9O/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=7DJA1J7NK1GK&coliid=I2HHTV0MOX7ZSA&psc=1

I guess the important question is "What are you planning to sharpen and how hard is it?"

Kings are good stones. I have an 800/4000 that's my go-to for routine sharpening and it was a great first stone once I got beyond the random-oil-stone-from-a-garage-sale phase.

Having said that... the harder the steel the slower the cutting, and the faster the stone will wear. Kings have a reputation for being particularly slow on harder steel. NBD if you only sharpen a handful of knives a few times a year. My CCK #2 gets sharp in no time, the el Cheapo stainless chinese knife takes a lot longer and there are days I'm not sure that knife is worth the effort. I'm not going to go out and spend 4x the price of the knife on a special stone to sharpen it.

Keep an eye on the stone and flatten it if it starts to get dished. This requires another stone (coarse carborundum, a lapping stone, or carborundum grit and a sheet of plate glass for the truly hopeless geek). Again, you probably don't need to worry about this for a year or two at least.

I like a bit of tooth on my knives so the fine side only gets used for a few strokes to "knock the wire edge off". The difference between 4000 or 6000 wouldn't matter for this.

Follow the instructions and soak or spritz the stone before use. This is critical. They are "water" stones, after all.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

The Midniter posted:

Attention poors who don't own a Thermapen: until August 28th they're having a sale, use coupon code SITEWIDE15. Brings the price down to $79. Still expensive, but worth it for a brand new one!

Someone asked me to cook a huge steak bloody rare and I made it perfectly just by jamming the thing into the thing a couple times.

10/10 would recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I just paid $5 for a stainless garlic press. I feel like I wasted money.

• Locked thread