Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

goferchan posted:

Whoa I got that Disney WOW calibration disc and I had no idea my settings were so hosed .... this (or another tool like it) is essential , seriously

The other argument is that ignorance is bliss

now you are going to start spending hundreds of dollars on calibration hardware and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I don't know if my $400 TV is worth getting TOO obsessive about, but along those same lines it also seems that if you're gonna drop a few hundred on a TV, a $20 Blu-Ray is a very small investment for the improvements you can squeeze out of it

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

goferchan posted:

I don't know if my $400 TV is worth getting TOO obsessive about, but along those same lines it also seems that if you're gonna drop a few hundred on a TV, a $20 Blu-Ray is a very small investment for the improvements you can squeeze out of it

Dont even need that. There are free ones you can download and burn to dvd and play on most bluray players.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Don Lapre posted:

Dont even need that. There are free ones you can download and burn to dvd and play on most bluray players.

Was just thinking about this. What's the "go to" disc now? I haven't calibrated using my own settings in a very long time

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Captain Yossarian posted:

Was just thinking about this. What's the "go to" disc now? I haven't calibrated using my own settings in a very long time

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/948496-avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration.html

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Cool thanks!

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
my 2007 56' LED DLP finally died and its not worth repairing vs getting a fancy new set. I play console video games and occasionally stream games from my pc at 720p (htpc cant roll that higher res) so all I really need is 1080p and something that can play 24hz stuff so I can get my kodi on without the pulldown issues.

Is pretty much any run of the mill vizio at costco going to be alright or is input lag still a serious problem? I'm willing to pony up, but I really dont need much. I was on a 2007 dlp at 60hz beforehand and happy with more or less, so yeah. :)
I bought my last tv from amazon and it went well, but I feel like I won the "it didnt break" lottery and buying locally is probably a good idea for the return policy. Y/N?

thanks!

EDIT: Looks like Vizio is fine, either amazon or costco, I guess the best thing to check for now is just input lag.

Minty Swagger fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 20, 2015

Recluse
Mar 5, 2004

Yeah, I did that.
I've been through a series of TVs that I've had to keep returning because of flash lighting or dead pixels before I finally gave up to take a break. Right now I've got an $1800 gift card to use at BestBuy and a 10% off coupon that expires next week so I can do a bit higher. I'd really like a 4k TV as it will be our primary TV until it dies, but needs to have good upscaling also since we've cut cable to get gigabit Internet and are relying on streaming services for all content. Low latency is important since we will have a Wii U and possibly a computer connected for games.

I had been leaning towards the Sony XBR55X800B while I was in store but I think I remember reading that there was some latency issues. I see Vizio recommended pretty highly in this thread but didn't know if since my budget was a little higher if there was something worth paying more for. I think we could do 55"-65" in our living room with the sweet spot of 60". Does anyone have any thoughts or some recommendations? I would definitely appreciate it!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Any LCD you find will probably have some flash lighting. The larger and thinner the most likely it is to happen. Try to get a backlit display rather than side lit.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You're very close to the price of the oled, I can't imagine you had problems with flash lighting or bad pixels with it.

Did you have problems with banding?

Recluse
Mar 5, 2004

Yeah, I did that.
Yeah, the last TV I had (went from Samsung to Sharp) had some pretty bad banding which was noticeable in 2d side scrollers. What models OLED TVs for that price would be good? I would pay a bit more for quality and be fine with the 55".

I ran over there a little bit ago and they had a Vizio that looked pretty good with full backlight it looked like (m60-c3) and the x850b on clearance for $1499 but there was only the one left and I don't think that was fully backlit from specs, only 900 series.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

There's one model oled, the LG EC9300. Best buy will have it much higher but you'll get it at other authorized places for 1950 no tax / free ship. I've found best buy gift cards pretty easy to trade for cash at a minimal loss.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

sellouts posted:

There's one model oled, the LG EC9300. Best buy will have it much higher but you'll get it at other authorized places for 1950 no tax / free ship. I've found best buy gift cards pretty easy to trade for cash at a minimal loss.

There is a $7000 65" bestbuy carries as well.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Don Lapre posted:

That one is also 4k which is why the jump is so high.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Is there a tech question thead for TV's?

I have an LG 50LA6900 that was working fine, but now when I turn it on, the little logo lights up for 1 second, then flicks off, and the TV never turns on

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

I wasn't sure if that was just Magnolia stores, that's crazy if you can walk into any BB and see that.

It's also not in the realm of possibility but hopefully soon enough!

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Quick trip report that the Vizio E60-C3 is fuckin rad coming from a 2007 Samsung DLP. I know there's better but its cost effective to lag behind a few years in the latest and greatest. :shobon:

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Are there any places you can buy digital downloads of 4k movies?

I dont have the speed bandwidth available to stream from netflix and such(but have a large cap), wouldn't mind trying out a movie if I can actually download it other than sample 4k video.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Puddin posted:

Are there any places you can buy digital downloads of 4k movies?

Sony makes this thing, but its now EOL.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-FMPX10-Ultra-Media-Player/dp/B00K2R69QK

Chances are the ps4 or soon to be released 4K BD players will have similar features. The FMPX10 has a 1tb HHD, with the option to expand.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Any PS4 with 4k download support will require a new hardware revision as they lack HDCP 2.2 and that's not something that can be added with a firmware patch as it requires physical hardware.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Did best buy pull the 70" sony 850b?

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

veedubfreak posted:

How is it? That's what I think I have decided on when I pull the trigger.

Week-late-completely-subjective reply, but I loving love it. I've never had an electronic device for a year that still wowed me. This TV is still awesome to me every time I turn it on. It's a lot bigger than the TV it replaced, but the colors are really what's impressive to me. It just looks "good".

You've probably read this if you're looking at the TV, but the 3D is TERRIBLE. Unusable. Ghosting/crosstalk all over the place. Great 2D TV though. Great for games on a huge screen too.

edit: Just saw your reply above this one. It looks like they replaced it with the 75W850C, I don't know if that's better/worse. Model number makes it sound worse, but I really have no clue.

ddogflex fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 25, 2015

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

ddogflex posted:

Week-late-completely-subjective reply, but I loving love it. I've never had an electronic device for a year that still wowed me. This TV is still awesome to me every time I turn it on. It's a lot bigger than the TV it replaced, but the colors are really what's impressive to me. It just looks "good".

You've probably read this if you're looking at the TV, but the 3D is TERRIBLE. Unusable. Ghosting/crosstalk all over the place. Great 2D TV though. Great for games on a huge screen too.

edit: Just saw your reply above this one. It looks like they replaced it with the 75W850C, I don't know if that's better/worse. Model number makes it sound worse, but I really have no clue.

Well the 70 850b was staying on sale for around 2500, the 75" is freaking 4k. Ugh, annoyed.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

I'm looking at the 32" Vizio to go in a bedroom. There's none in stock anywhere locally. Does anyone own this TV (and possibly the 40" version) that could measure the distance of those legs for me? I want to know if it'll fit on my dresser before I buy it, and I can't find the dimensions anywhere.

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

Yesterday I bought a Vizio 4K UHDTV to use with my computer. The idea was to save money compared to a computer monitor and get an even bigger size.

Well, I got home and both my Windows 10 PC and my rMBP (late 2013) output only max resolution at 30Hz, which is really choppy and distracting even when doing nothing special at all (no games, just moving things around). I did some searching and found out there are special cables, went and bought one, and still had the same results.

Then I do more searching and the cable may make no difference at all. Is there something I may be missing that keeps things from going at 60Hz? I'm about to return the TV and cable if there's yet another thing I need to buy.

edit: I plugged in to the UHD port (HDMI 5) the whole time, so it really should work according to everything I've seen

TreFitty fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 26, 2015

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
on HDMI you can't do above 30hz with your laptop.

on display port using Multi-Stream Support you can do 60hz but only if it is a 15 inch rMBP (late 2013). 13 inch from late 2013 can't support it either way.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202856

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

havenwaters posted:

on HDMI you can't do above 30hz with your laptop.

on display port using Multi-Stream Support you can do 60hz but only if it is a 15 inch rMBP (late 2013). 13 inch from late 2013 can't support it either way.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202856

So basically, my TV has to have display port as an input, too, right? Or can it be a display port to HDMI adapter? I read several reviews before I bought the TV about people using this TV as a monitor, so I figured it would be easy. I guess not. Maybe I need a better/newer graphics card on my computer to make HDMI work?

All of these terms like MST have popped up and I have no clue...

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

veedubfreak posted:

Well the 70 850b was staying on sale for around 2500, the 75" is freaking 4k. Ugh, annoyed.

I see the 75W850C for $2000USD direct from Sony. Are you in Canada or so?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
You need a graphics card that can put out hdmi 2.0 but nothing apple currently has out will do that. For display port the late 2013 rMBP the 13 inch is not capable of 4k @ 60 hz. the 15 inch can do 4k @ 60 hz on a few specific panels that suppport MST (the ones listed in that apple support link).

Even if your tv has a display port if it isn't the right sort of panel (which in most cases it won't be) it will still only do 4k @ 30 hz on the 15 inch rMBP late 2013

The only mac hardware that can do 4k @ 60hz (without using MST) over display port are the following computers after updating to Yosemite 10.10.3 or later:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014 and later)
Mac Pro (Late 2013)
iMac (27-inch, Late 2013 and later)
MacBook Air (Early 2015)

No mac hardware can do 4k @ 60hz over hdmi at this time since none of them have hdmi 2.0.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 26, 2015

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

havenwaters posted:

You need a graphics card that can put out hdmi 2.0 but nothing apple currently has out will do that. For display port the late 2013 rMBP the 13 inch is not capable of 4k @ 60 hz. the 15 inch can do 4k @ 60 hz on a few specific panels that suppport MST (the ones listed in that apple support link).

Even if your tv has a display port if it isn't the right sort of panel (which in most cases it won't be) it will still only do 4k @ 30 hz on the 15 inch rMBP late 2013

The only mac hardware that can do 4k @ 60hz (without using MST) over display port are the following computers after updating to Yosemite 10.10.3 or later:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014 and later)
Mac Pro (Late 2013)
iMac (27-inch, Late 2013 and later)
MacBook Air (Early 2015)

No mac hardware can do 4k @ 60hz over hdmi at this time since none of them have hdmi 2.0.

poo poo. Guess I'm returning the TV. Thanks for your help, though!

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

ddogflex posted:

I see the 75W850C for $2000USD direct from Sony. Are you in Canada or so?

That's probably the 1080 version.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

veedubfreak posted:

That's probably the 1080 version.

For some reason I assumed you were looking at the 70W850B, I guess I didn't think it was possible the X850B came down to $2500 for the 70. Goddamn, yeah, that would have been a good buy. I paid nearly 2000 for my 1080 one last year.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Not a lot of time left, but there's an eBay deal for a 49" 4K Vizio.

I'm in the market for something in that size range, and was previously just looking at non-4K TVs in the $450-$550 range, but for only $50-ish more, I can get a 4K TV.

Good deal? Amazon currently has it for $666.

Or, seeing as I have nothing that can take advantage of a 4K screen, should I just go back to regular 1080p TVs and either spend less for the same size, or spend the same for bigger?

Edit: Ok, times might not be so limited...it's listed on the "Daily Deals" part of eBay, but the sale says it has 9 more days left in the listing.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 28, 2015

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
What's a good smart TV in the ~$400 price range? Looking for 48" or so.

https://m.samsclub.com/ip/tcl-48-class-1080p-led-roku-smart-hdtv-48fs3700/prod17250126 Is this any good?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It's a budget TV. What do you need that would make it good?

The thread recommends Vizio for a reason. The e series 48" is 489. I would try to apply a best buy 10% off movers coupon to get it close to your window of price.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

sellouts posted:

It's a budget TV. What do you need that would make it good?

The thread recommends Vizio for a reason. The e series 48" is 489. I would try to apply a best buy 10% off movers coupon to get it close to your window of price.

Yup I'm extremely happy with this. I got a refurb in perfect condition from Groupon for $380 a couple months ago (here's the page, unfortunately sold out now) so maybe it's worth keeping an eye on there? I would definitely get a Vizio over whatever you linked

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Oh, it's $400 instead of $380, but they are in stock here. Not sure what the average refurb experience is like with Groupon but mine was perfect.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I see the thread recommends Vizo; we were looking at a Samsung to replace our current Samsung and we're generally a Samsung house (recently realized all our monitors and phones were that), and it has me wondering: What bonus do I get in a Samsung over a comparable Vizio TV? Is it worth the premium price at all? Or are Vizio panels just as good as Samsung these days?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Samsung will have better smart tv stuff generally if you use it. You will probably also get updates faster to fix issues. The scalers are generally better as well.

Id also say if you prefer a glossy screen it is something vizio does not offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If you are getting a higher end Samsung they will be better panels in my opinion.

Don Lapre is right, Vizio usually has a price advantage for what you get.