Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kild
Apr 24, 2010

facebook jihad posted:

Exactly, hence I won't watch Super

Yup

Seriously someone justify for me why remaking two movies that just came out is a good idea to start your show

Because it can't be assumed that everyone watched the previous 2 movies, its expanding on them for better or worse and it gives them time to complete the storyboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Those movies grossed insane amounts of money and were advertised to hell and back for the most popular anime series on the Planet Earth. Making a TV series for the few people who didn't see the movies is silly and not what they're doing. They're doing it for the sake of selling toys and poo poo, it's not because they want to appeal the few people who didn't see them.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That doesn't make any sense. As your counterpoint to the main point also works as an argument against your own point. If they don't need to catch fans up because most already saw it, then it sure as poo poo isn't going to bring any new clients to purchase toys.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No it doesn't. Making more content to appeal to people who have already seen the same property is the same poo poo they've been doing for years. Games, Kai, Movies, etc. That's all meant to appeal to existing fans of DBZ to buy more poo poo and fun the money mecca that is the DBZ franchise. At no point is any of this poo poo turned to attract new fans, neither is Super. These new movies were also riding entirely on the fact that you love DBZ and want to see more of it. For gently caress's sake they've been rehashing the same story over and over again through different mediums for decades. Do you think any of that was to reach a wider fanbase at any point? Maybe at first, but none of the new DB stuff is appealing to new audiences.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Super isn't even that bad. People complaining about a 30-second Vegeta powering up scene need to go back and watch some more of the original series. There were episodes in the Cell Saga that would have half the running time taken up by Vegeta or Trunks powering up to their SSJ1.5 forms. If I'm remembering right there was at least one Freeza episode where he did nothing but transform.

I'm enjoying the TV adaptation of a movie I've already seen. They're already about halfway through anyway. GT ended in like 1997, we had to wait 16 years for BoG to come out and now people can't wait two months for the next arc?

Also I know for a fact that there are a ton of DBZ fans who for whatever reason never got around to seeing the movies, whether because they didn't know about them or haven't thought to pirate them or whatever.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
If you are trying to appeal to existing fans you don't do it by releasing content already released within the year. You just don't it makes no sense.

I can't even think of a franchise who did this.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The Ninth Layer posted:

There were episodes in the Cell Saga that would have half the running time taken up by Vegeta or Trunks powering up to their SSJ1.5 forms. If I'm remembering right there was at least one Freeza episode where he did nothing but transform.

Because they had to adapt a 17 page manga chapter into a 22 minute episode.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

CharlestheHammer posted:

If you are trying to appeal to existing fans you don't do it by releasing content already released within the year. You just don't it makes no sense.

You clearly are not familiar with Japanese business practices then because that's exactly what they've been doing.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
does anyone in this thread actually like dragon ball?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I do. Kinda a weird question to ask.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

If you want the thread full of people who hate what they are reading you should check out the Bleach one. It's kind of a tradition.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Pyroi posted:

Dragon Ball, yes. DBZ, less so.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Pyroi posted:

Mr. Satan and Dr. Gero for life.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Pyroi posted:

Hellz Yeah.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I'm more of a Broly fan myself. You can have your little Battle of Gods and Bringback F or whatever, I'll take the more mature and sophisticated Broly films.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I'm more of a Broly fan myself. You can have your little Battle of Gods and Bringback F or whatever, I'll take the more mature and sophisticated Broly films.

Broly would be amazing if he were sophisticated, or at least if he got progressively classier with every movie. Like, keep him as toxic muck man, but y'know...extend his mucky 8 foot tall pinky when he sips some tea.

Broly was good for his first movie, got kinda stale after the second, and what the gently caress is even the third.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Baal posted:

I will body slam you into hfil

We're already posting there

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."
Dragon Ball Super is pretty cool, but where the gently caress did Pilaf Gang wander off to after their episode? :mad:

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Dragon Ball Super is cool. People keep saying it's just to sell toys but where are the toys? I want to buy the toys.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

zelah posted:

Dragon Ball Super is cool. People keep saying it's just to sell toys but where are the toys? I want to buy the toys.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Sticking faithfully to Super's aesthetic I see

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Not those toys. Give me Vegeta: Sushi Chef. I feel like the ninja turtles put out toys like that

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

please spoiler that image, not everyone knows that tien and beerus are going to attain their Gold Head form after whis goes super saiyan

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I remember back on the internet in 2000-2002ish where it was very in vogue to trash Funimation and their voice direction and script writing. And to be fair, it wasn't great by any means. "Mondo cool" is still one of the worst things to come out of any character's mouths.

But it's a really cool feeling seeing how much they've improved over the years. How many times have they re-dubbed the Frieza Saga? By this point they all have the characters nailed, even if Chris Sabat is still literally half the cast.

What I'm saying is Funimation is cool and good.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

zelah posted:

Not those toys. Give me Vegeta: Sushi Chef. I feel like the ninja turtles put out toys like that
Uhh he was making takoyaki not sushi.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Nessus posted:

Uhh he was making takoyaki not sushi.

He's gonna make sushi to summon Whis in the Resurrection F remake.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

So I guess Vegeta is going to become a sous-per saiyan god chef

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I really dislike the jive talking Gotenks does.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

The Ninth Layer posted:

Super isn't even that bad. People complaining about a 30-second Vegeta powering up scene need to go back and watch some more of the original series. There were episodes in the Cell Saga that would have half the running time taken up by Vegeta or Trunks powering up to their SSJ1.5 forms. If I'm remembering right there was at least one Freeza episode where he did nothing but transform.

And it sucked then too, which also doesn't make the first thing suck any less. If anything it's worse because it's already been animated better.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be honest it's sort of delightful to get a look into how people would have responded to Dragonball Z had the internet been around at the time.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
You can definitely say that Super follows the Dragon Ball legacy.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest it's sort of delightful to get a look into how people would have responded to Dragonball Z had the internet been around at the time.

You can also sort of see this when you poke around threads of other shonen series as well. You see a lot of similar things:
  • Why isn't X character more important/more screen time?
  • This animation is terrible!
  • When will we move on to the next arc already!?
  • Why is the protagonist so stupid!?
  • Part 1 was so much better than the later parts!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I do not watch Super because I don't like listening to a protangist who's a hugeass muscular dude with the voice of an old lady.

When Funimation dubs it I'll be all over that poo poo.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I do not watch Super because I don't like listening to a protangist who's a hugeass muscular dude with the voice of an old lady.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Yorkshire Tea posted:

When Funimation dubs it I'll be all over that poo poo.

Honestly I don't know why Masako Nozawa's Goku doesn't weird me out. It should for obvious reasons, but it seems oddly fitting to me.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Covok posted:

• Why isn't X character more important/more screen time?

Whenever Vegeta's not on screen, all the other characters should be asking "Where's Vegeta?"

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Pyroi posted:

Don't be silly, goons don't like things.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Fuego Fish posted:

Whenever Vegeta's not on screen, all the other characters should be asking "Where's Vegeta?"

"Whidgidy Whidgidy, Vegeta's in the house!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Neo_Crimson posted:

Don't be silly, goons don't like things.

I loving love DBZ so much I'm making a tabletop game about it, even though I should be spending that time working harder at my job.

Speaking of which, I should take some more time off my job right now to finish the kai section.

• Locked thread