Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Are there any open world games that don't basically become checklists by the end?

Skyrim and Fallout New Vegas, I guess...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Speedball posted:

Skyrim and Fallout New Vegas, I guess...

1. Go in the hole.
2. Walk through it while killing everything.
3. Repeat.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, Elder Scrolls and Fallout are just "Do I have x legendary weapon yet? No? Better go get it" by the end.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Anti-Hero posted:

WB must really be worried about MGS/feeling guilty about AK to offer such a preorder deal.
Didn't GMG pull some stunt like that with Witcher 3 by picking up keys from lord knows where? It's probably not an official publisher-sponsored deal.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

ImpAtom posted:

Are there any open world games that don't basically become checklists by the end?

I feel like Witcher 3 was different. I mean you had the rinse and repeat stuff, but a significant chunk of it was the secondary quests, which were all unique. That's not really the same thing as Ubisoft's patented copy and paste mission archetypes.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm fine with copy paste mission types so long as I have enough tools and abilities to change things up when I feel like it.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Didn't GMG pull some stunt like that with Witcher 3 by picking up keys from lord knows where? It's probably not an official publisher-sponsored deal.

I think they picked up GOG keys on the grey market somewhere which made them ridiculously cheap. It was above board, but CDPR didn't intend for them to be sold to NA audiences. It's kind of like what the Steam key trading merchants are doing in SA mart. All I know is I'm an elitist and got a steam key anyways because I like having all my games on one distribution client.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

But GMG gives you Steam keys.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012
Just Cause 2 was great, looking forward to this.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

I'm fine with copy paste mission types so long as I have enough tools and abilities to change things up when I feel like it.

Yeah, this is the key. I hope Max has enough tricks up his sleeve. He probably does.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Inzombiac posted:

But GMG gives you Steam keys.

They do, but for Witcher 3 it was a GOG key. Same deal with GTA5 - Rockstar social club key.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
Found some PC footage of (today's?) twitch stream, featuring the Ripper car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIUQSeeIWX0

Holy hell that blue exhaust :swoon:

Rubber Bob
Apr 9, 2001
Doesn't it seem like the variation in the hand to hand combat is pretty limited? From what I've seen so far it seems like your only options is to punch some dude enough to fill a meter, then press X to do a finisher. At least in Batman/Shadow of Mordor you have some more moves, gadgets and finishers at your disposal.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

There's parry and pickup mechanics but that's it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Rubber Bob posted:

Doesn't it seem like the variation in the hand to hand combat is pretty limited? From what I've seen so far it seems like your only options is to punch some dude enough to fill a meter, then press X to do a finisher. At least in Batman/Shadow of Mordor you have some more moves, gadgets and finishers at your disposal.

Think less Arkham and more The Witcher.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Rubber Bob posted:

Well, there is stuff like shooting dudes in the gut with your shotgun, throwing dudes off ledges, bashing their heads against walls, or shoving explosive sticks in their guts. Max also seems to have some pretty sick special wrestling moves. Looks pretty fun to me.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

MrMojok posted:

Huh... I had not heard that about the plot of the game. In the film, The plains of silence are the endless dunes they are about to set off into on the bikes.

Those were the Salt Flats, aka what used to be the Pacific Ocean before poo poo got hosed real bad.

They'd have to be. Max is crazy but he isn't an idiot, he'd know you can't drive for 5 months in one direction anywhere in Australia without hitting the sea. So the only explanation is that WAS the sea.

Plains of Silence was mentioned in Fury Road though, one of the wives said people still watch TV there.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I think I'm going to buy this day one as my "big game" treat of the year. I don't think it's going to be vying for any GotY awards, but it looks like a solid 4/5 game that I'll have a ton of fun with. Shadow of Mordor in cars, Sleeping Dogs in the wasteland, I'm down for all the stuff this game has to offer.

My main question right now is the first person mode. I'm 15+ hours into my GTAV replay on PS4, which has been entirely done in first person, having clocked up 120 hours on PS3 in the standard view. I'm wondering how viable it would be to play this entire game in first person, which looks like it could be balls hard but super immersive. And yeah, when it comes to open world games, I'm all about MY IMMERSION.

Are there any videos with extended first person footage? Hell, any videos showing more than 5 seconds of footage would do me.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Only the in car stuff can be first person afaik. Still a fair chunk of the game though.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Are you sure? I know vids only showed first person in car, but my brain tells me I heard someone in one of these streams saying that first person melee combat was indeed a real thing.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Parkingtigers posted:

Are you sure? I know vids only showed first person in car, but my brain tells me I heard someone in one of these streams saying that first person melee combat was indeed a real thing.

As the retard who watched them all; one of the hosts asked, answer was no.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

As another retard that has watched all these streams, no first person melee, just the driving.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
A lot of deals to get this game 50% off or more on the PC.

http://www.destructoid.com/there-s-a-bunch-of-mad-max-pre-order-deals-at-more-than-half-off-307198.phtml

PC Game Deals

$30 flat at Green Man Gaming
Use coupon: MADMAX-SAVE50-MADMAX

$27.59 at Funstock Digital
Use Code: AUG-COUPRED-PRE30

$26.99 at 2game
No coupon required

Any one ever use 2game.com before?

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu
Haven't used 2game, but some lovely Google searching for reviews kind of turned me off to them. A lot of the negative reviews come from people with prior reviews under their account while the good ones are reverse.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

"Prep for the final encounter" is a thing in basically every game that isn't 100% linear. In the few cases where that isn't the model the reaction tends to be annoyance at the abrupt and unexpected climax. "Wait, HE was the final boss? Bullshit!"

Edit: It's a balancing act. Either you encourage the player to go around sucking all the life out of the world before pushing the big red victory button or you lock them in a set path that robs them of all prior agency. Open-world games only really end well (my opinion) if the post-game is entertaining enough to keep the player engaged for an hour or two after the credits roll, letting their interest and sense of engagement bleed off until they can put it down without feeling like they've done a disservice to the world they just spent a few dozen hours getting invested in.

Cephalocidal fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 26, 2015

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Skyrim never even really has the credits roll at any point, either for the main quest or the major profession quests. Everyone tells you "Wow, that was an adventure. Well, life goes on... but you were awesome, by the way."

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the witcher 3 is kind of a huge checklist of checklists but did everything excellent so it doesn't matter. most open world games become things to check off. it all depends if it's interesting poo poo like The Witcher or useless garbage collectable crap like Asscreed

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Anti-Hero posted:

They do, but for Witcher 3 it was a GOG key. Same deal with GTA5 - Rockstar social club key.

Oh right. I should know that because I got W3 with my new card and was bummed when it was a GoG key. I mean, I still play the balls off it but... yknow.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

Those were the Salt Flats, aka what used to be the Pacific Ocean before poo poo got hosed real bad.

They'd have to be. Max is crazy but he isn't an idiot, he'd know you can't drive for 5 months in one direction anywhere in Australia without hitting the sea. So the only explanation is that WAS the sea.

Plains of Silence was mentioned in Fury Road though, one of the wives said people still watch TV there.

The scene where they see the satellite, and one of the wives asks if anyone is still out there doing shows, the vuvalini says "Who knows? Those are the plains of silence."

This is the night they've stopped the war rig right before the salt flats, on a dune overlooking the flats. Immediately after that scene Furiosa talks to Max about leaving the rigs and taking the bikes across the salt flats. Plains of Silence and salt flats are the same thing (what used to be the ocean)

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I just pre-ordered this because I had this panicked moment where I realized I needed something time-consuming to consume some of the time I would've spent playing MGSV. This way, I won't get tired of either of the games! Too much MGS? Blow up some cars! Too much Thunderdome (as if)? Fulton a bear!

This makes perfect sense. Perfect in every way.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

it doesnt take much for something titled mad max to be faithful to the movies

a shitmagnet named max, a sawed off double barrel, the persuit special, a desert

congratulations you have a mad max game

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Black Griffon posted:

I just pre-ordered this because I had this panicked moment where I realized I needed something time-consuming to consume some of the time I would've spent playing MGSV. This way, I won't get tired of either of the games! Too much MGS? Blow up some cars! Too much Thunderdome (as if)? Fulton a bear!

This makes perfect sense. Perfect in every way.

Yeah, I feel as though I partly bought this game to ease some of the stress that may come from the more intense moments in MGS V.

PowderKeg
Apr 5, 2003
Want to play this on my TV and don't want to wait for the steam streaming gadget so I preordered for XBone. The time between cracking that case open and the 32 gig install finishing is going to feel like an entire (lovely) day.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

BexGu posted:

http://www.destructoid.com/there-s-a-bunch-of-mad-max-pre-order-deals-at-more-than-half-off-307198.phtml

PC Game Deals

$26.99 at 2game
No coupon required

Figures I bought it for 40% off on GMG last night to find out it's 50% off today!

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

PowderKeg posted:

Want to play this on my TV and don't want to wait for the steam streaming gadget so I preordered for XBone. The time between cracking that case open and the 32 gig install finishing is going to feel like an entire (lovely) day.

Wouldn't it be easier (and more immediate) to just buy a cheap HDMI cable and connect your pc/laptop to your TV? Whenever I want to play steam on my TV, I just set the TV up as a second monitor--takes 20 seconds, no streaming gadget required.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

BexGu posted:

PC Game Deals

$26.99 at 2game
No coupon required

Huh...well okay then, guess I'll get this and MGS5 instead of waiting a few months for it to hit 30. Thanks.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Figures I bought it for 40% off on GMG last night to find out it's 50% off today!

I just had them refund me. Was pretty quick and painless through there support system.

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.
Are there any issues for GMG to give out keys before the release? I've heard some folks waiting for a few hours or even days for their keys from GOG.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
I originally posted the video here which showed the first person view, but the Avalanche dev was pretty vague about the first person. When asked if that was "just while driving" he said "in combat too", which I took to mean melee combat, but I think he may have meant car combat (which is somehow different from just driving in his mind). Either way, I'll still take it.

Adding another $20 to my PSN later, then going to pre-order this bad boy.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Blue Raider posted:

it doesnt take much for something titled mad max to be faithful to the movies

a shitmagnet named max, a sawed off double barrel, the persuit special, a desert

congratulations you have a mad max game

Optionally: "THEY STOLE MY CAR! AGAIN!"

• Locked thread