Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Lemon Curdistan posted:

There is literally no reason why "the Empire's aesthetic" should just be pasting loving TIE panels on everything. The assault gunboat and missile boat fit in just fine.

e; they should have given us the Scimitar instead of "the TIE bomber, but with more bombs" though.

I think the assault gunboat has a problem with pretty much doing the exact same thing as a shuttle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Geisladisk posted:

Ships within a faction need to have some kind of unified aesthetic to look half decent, or the game will just look like a jumbled mess. Scum gets a pass because it's supposed to be literally a jumbled mess of ships.

The Assault Gunboat looks like loving rear end. It's colour scheme doesn't even remotely look like anything else the empire has. The design is uninspired and ugly. It's just a terrible design that some programmer-cum-artist knocked up for X-Wing vs TIE Fighter.
You take that back.

This is ugly?

Also, no, it wasn't made for X-Wing vs TIE Fighter, it first appeared on TIE Fighter proper and was largely created to enable the campaign to have 'hyper in' missions.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Wave 7 just got to my FLGS. Can't wait for TLT Y-wings :getin:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

:agreed: Aesthetics and visual art direction is important, guys. This is why the Raider looks the way it does and why the Alliance even has ships that look visually similar even though they're "supposed" to have a rag-tag fleet of scum ships.

E: lol and of course I should've refreshed. I'm back at Uni now though so I won't be able to have access to the new ships until I visit the other hobby shop that's 30 min away. :/

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I don't disagree with that, but that doesn't mean restricting yourself to TIEs only for imperial starfighters. Depending on the design they use, they can tie in the assault gunboat with the Lambda Shuttle pretty easily.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Geisladisk posted:

Actually they both look stupid. :cool:

Everything looks stupid :c00lbutt:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Tekopo posted:

I don't disagree with that, but that doesn't mean restricting yourself to TIEs only for imperial starfighters. Depending on the design they use, they can tie in the assault gunboat with the Lambda Shuttle pretty easily.

I agree. I was mostly still ranting about the K-wing. Once I get my copy I'll have to convert to look like a Star Wars TM ship.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

It makes sense for Rebel ships to have different looks. It's sort of their thing. They fly whatever ships they can pick up from whatever manufacturers have defected.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm sperging out here, forgive me. Well no other ships have visible rockets on the ships. I was going to say no other ships have the dumb ball gunner pods but I just remembered the Republic Gunship has it and that looks all sorts of stupid. So actually the K-wing looks the closest to that republic design and it all looks bad so I guess it's just perfect for canonical star wars. :|

(I did say I adore the K-wing's dumb design if you look back at an earlier post from when it was spoiled, as it looks like a majestic pelican and I'll paint it that way, but it looks incredibly stupid)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Panzeh posted:

I think the assault gunboat has a problem with pretty much doing the exact same thing as a shuttle.

I will take that over the usual "let's just take some random bullshit and glue TIE panels and an octogonal cockpit window on it" school of design for Imperial stuff.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I like that that lack of imagination led to the tie crawler. :effort:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

There is sort of the issue that some of the rebel design are post-endor New Republic designs so they are a bit incongruous with the pre-endor 'anything goes as long as it flies' rebels. I'm pretty sure rebels would have been flying r-41 starchasers, t-wings, razor fighters, toscan fighters, pinooks and cloakshapes, but we won't be seeing those unless they end up being Scum ships.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

I like that that lack of imagination led to the tie crawler. :effort:

It led to 99% of the EU Imperial designs being pure, unmitigated garbage. :(

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Aug 26, 2015

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Tekopo posted:

There is sort of the issue that some of the rebel design are post-endor New Republic designs so they are a bit incongruous with the pre-endor 'anything goes as long as it flies' rebels. I'm pretty sure rebels would have been flying r-41 starchasers, t-wings, razor fighters, toscan fighters, pinooks and cloakshapes, but we won't be seeing those unless they end up being Scum ships.

The K-wings cockpit resembles the Y-wing, the previous koensayr design

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It lead to 99% of the EU Imperial designs being pure, unmitigated garbage. :(
If they're all made by SFS, I could see that making sense. Just like how in the US, Lockheed Martin made a sizable number of useful designs and the F-22, F-35, F-117, SR-71, and F-16 all look the same.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Still struggling to see something it does differently from a shuttle.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It led to 99% of the EU Imperial designs being pure, unmitigated garbage. :(

This loving thing is the absolute loving worst though.

A... Advanced, but with Interceptor panels... facing backwards? And a third panel haphazardly added on top??? :confused:

Chill la Chill posted:

If they're all made by SFS, I could see that making sense. Just like how in the US, Lockheed Martin made a sizable number of useful designs and the F-22, F-35, F-117, SR-71, and F-16 all look the same.

Well, the F-16, F-22, and F-35 are all very visually similar. But then again, so are almost all modern jet fighters.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Panzeh posted:

Still struggling to see something it does differently from a shuttle.
What, from a gameplay or design perspective?

Cause it's not difficult to create a window for it within the meta. The Mist Hunter has shown how.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tekopo posted:

What, from a gameplay or design perspective?

Cause it's not difficult to create a window for it within the meta. The Mist Hunter has shown how.

Gameplay. It's a tub with firepower. I don't think FFG is in a hurry to put out another tub with firepower and hp that looks similar to a shuttle.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Well it is still a fighter, and is on the mid-way of maneuverability so it wouldn't be as slow as the Shuttle. It wouldn't have crew slot, it would have ordnance, there's the potential for FFG to release more beam weapons along with it. There's still a lot of design space.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

The Assault Gunboat would probably be closer to the B-Wing than the Shuttle in terms of gameplay, at least going by how it behaved in the X-Wing series of games.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Geisladisk posted:

The Assault Gunboat would probably be closer to the B-Wing than the Shuttle in terms of gameplay, at least going by how it behaved in the X-Wing series of games.

Yeah. It was explicitly the Imperial equivalent of the B-wing in TIE Fighter. If it's basically a B-wing that drops cannon slots for missiles and priced similarly, it would be fine.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Geisladisk posted:

This loving thing is the absolute loving worst though.

A... Advanced, but with Interceptor panels... facing backwards? And a third panel haphazardly added on top??? :confused:

Well, the F-16, F-22, and F-35 are all very visually similar. But then again, so are almost all modern jet fighters.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

The prosecution rests, your honor.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Thank god the EU was destroyed.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

What in all the fucks is that? Thank you Disney for nuking the EU.

I'm getting stoked to fly a tie punisher from wave 7. I just want to drop bombs in your face and barrel roll away. My dreams of having a kamikaze bomber can come true

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

It's DARKSABER, a superweapon created by a Hutt gangster that is literally the superlaser from the death star stripped of everything else.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

Thank god the EU was destroyed.

It's okay, the new canon is going to make up for it:

quote:

Star Wars: The Force Awakens: Director J.J. Abrams Says Film's Villain Kylo Ren Is Not a Sith

"Kylo Ren is not a Sith. He works under Supreme Leader Snoke, who is a powerful figure on the Dark Side of the Force," Abrams told Empire. Abrams also said the film's villains were inspired by Nazis.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Lemon Curdistan, notorious space wizard hater.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Tekopo posted:

Lemon Curdistan, notorious space wizard hater.

Supreme Leader Snoke.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Supreme Leader Snoke.

Darth Vader

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Supreme Leader Snoke.

Darth Vader. Palpatine. Skywalker. Lando. Wedge. Organa.

Dumb names are Star Wars all over, don't pretend any of those names are cool in a vacuum.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Yeah but Snoke sounds like snookie, snooker, snack, and snuck. This is like aggressively silly

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I will take that over the usual "let's just take some random bullshit and glue TIE panels and an octogonal cockpit window on it" school of design for Imperial stuff.

Word this TIE bullshit is hilarious stupid and I am probably gonna rip the TIE panels off my Raider when I get one.

Best looking ships remain T65 X-wing and Interceptor. :colbert:

Also the snowspeeder is rad as hell but not a starfighter so shrug

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
The StarViper was one of my favorite EU ships. In the Shadows of the Empire game their wing things were all articulated and moved around as they maneuvered, and they looked awesome (for an N64 game). Space squidfighters. It's sad they're so mediocre on the table.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Saying the film's baddies are gonna be inspired by Nazis is just like, well, no loving poo poo.

Snoke is kind of a dumb name but it's still no Count Dooku.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

yellowjournalism posted:

Best looking ships remain T65 X-wing and Interceptor. :colbert:

gently caress yeah.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Kai Tave posted:

Saying the film's baddies are gonna be inspired by Nazis is just like, well, no loving poo poo.

Snoke is kind of a dumb name but it's still no Count Dooku.

Full name is Snoke'Oon and he is from Hoth. Man, these EU novels just write themselves!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Sheev is a good name, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Wasn't Darksaber written to be a story about how a superweapon built by the lowest bidder turns out to be poo poo?

• Locked thread