Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Battleships are so very relaxing to play. Maybe I should just play BBs if I get nuked by a CV in my DD or something, that'll bring my stress down. Yeah. Nothing like cruising along at 20 knots, listening to music, waiting for your next volley to straddle your target or get the big citadel hit. Almost to the Nagato!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
It helps that a well driven BB can decide the battle. Especially if you get someone to provide AA cover.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour

Hazdoc posted:

Battleships are so very relaxing to play. Maybe I should just play BBs if I get nuked by a CV in my DD or something, that'll bring my stress down. Yeah. Nothing like cruising along at 20 knots, listening to music, waiting for your next volley to straddle your target or get the big citadel hit. Almost to the Nagato!

here come three TB squads and one is already shifting to set up a cross

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Looks like the patch is gonna be delayed, no ETA.

https://eu.wargaming.net/support/News/NewsItem/View/440/world-of-warships---041-patch-release

Sneaky Kettle
Jul 4, 2010
I have a shiny new Myoko, and a commander which has 4 skill points and access to tier 4 skills.

Which is the popular opinion on what I'd get more out of as an IJN cruiser: Last Stand or Adv. Firing Training? I'm vacillating.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Tank Boy Ken posted:

It helps that a well driven BB can decide the battle. Especially if you get someone to provide AA cover.

I miss my Cleveland (and higher) from CBT for giving some friendly BB air cover; though one or two more good games in my Phoenix and I should get up to the Omaha soon.

Not one to whine about carriers two much, but being in a match with a Tier V and Tier IV carriers on the opposing team while I'm in a Kawachi is not fun. :smith:

Also, if I'm in some pub clan in WoT does that preclude me from joining SEMN?

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Aug 26, 2015

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Sneaky Kettle posted:

I have a shiny new Myoko, and a commander which has 4 skill points and access to tier 4 skills.

Which is the popular opinion on what I'd get more out of as an IJN cruiser: Last Stand or Adv. Firing Training? I'm vacillating.

Advanced fire training for the Mogami

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
You do know that CV can neither launch nor land it's planes when it's on fire, right? You make it sound like CV are some kind of fortress when in reality they can be taken completely out of the game when a ship is in range. And why would you reduce HP of carrier, when all it would accomplish is that early rushes from CVs would be that much more effective. CV have a high survival rate because they have to keep away from the frontlines, otherwise they are toast. The balancing right now sure needs improving, especially in regards to MM, but maybe you shouldn't complain about wargamings attempts at balancing when all your "solutions" would make the situation even worse.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Krogort posted:

Advanced fire training for the Mogami

You'd want the faster firing/AA from tier 1 and the faster turning from tier 2 first.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

The only nerf carriers should get is to have their planes obey the laws of physics.

Giving the planes even semi-realistic turning radius and acceleration would eliminate a lot of bullshit.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
It's possible that I'm just really bad at the game, but I have some serious challenges playing my T8 Lexington. I'm consistently in up-tier fights matched against T8-10 CVs. I can handle 7s and hold my own against an 8, but at this level everyone hops into an AA ball and unless I find a straggler that's 4+ km away from an AA cruiser, my bombers just melt before I can get more than a couple torps off. I don't feel like the balance is horrible, but that's just me. And at 8+, the cost of dying early or without being effective is starting to get bad. Between that and my North Carolina, I can hemorrhage credits if I have a few bad maps.

Would be nice to have some more small ship action, maybe a few maps where only cruisers and DDs play. I just feel like CVs make this game more 3 dimensional. I think I'd get bored without them as an option.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Junkozeyne posted:

You do know that CV can neither launch nor land it's planes when it's on fire, right? You make it sound like CV are some kind of fortress when in reality they can be taken completely out of the game when a ship is in range. And why would you reduce HP of carrier, when all it would accomplish is that early rushes from CVs would be that much more effective. CV have a high survival rate because they have to keep away from the frontlines, otherwise they are toast. The balancing right now sure needs improving, especially in regards to MM, but maybe you shouldn't complain about wargamings attempts at balancing when all your "solutions" would make the situation even worse.

This requires finding, breaking through to, and setting the CV on fire (twice, he'll repair the first one), which generally takes some time unless the enemy doesn't cover one of the paths. The fact that one of the single most productive things you can do in the game is go kill the single ship that is loving your entire team from relative safety is kind of a problem.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

SquadronROE posted:

How do you play the Phoenix. Is it a gun ship or a torpedo ship?

Very gun.

Find a target, keep them at whatever range you want because you have the speed for it, shower them with fire and steel as you do doughnuts on the water.

Your torpedoes are an afterthought in case something gets close enough to shiv.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Goddamnit. Anyone know why?

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Personally,I think if they increased the range at which planes had to drop torpedoes but increased the speed at which planes fly back to the ship (and slightly faster rearm) would be a little better. It would be easier to dodge torps but the CV would have more opportunities to launch them.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Night10194 posted:

This requires finding, breaking through to, and setting the CV on fire (twice, he'll repair the first one), which generally takes some time unless the enemy doesn't cover one of the paths. The fact that one of the single most productive things you can do in the game is go kill the single ship that is loving your entire team from relative safety is kind of a problem.

How is this different from any other game with a boss, or a base, or some other high value target that's protected?

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

I don't even know what the fuck I'm doing!!

Night10194 posted:

Not saying some CV changes are not needed, but with WW2 the rise of air power the most powerful thing anybody had ever seen.

Look at what took down all the big major ships of the war, all air power. If the game is based somewhat on reality, planes are going to be a huge pain in the rear end of it.

Like somebody said maybe add in wider turning angles and maybe not such perfect straight torp lines when planes are under fire from a ship will definitely mitigate their complete superiority.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour
e ^ this is an arcade game, historicity is completely irrelevant beyond maintaining enough of a facsimille to not break immersion

Dark Helmut posted:

How is this different from any other game with a boss, or a base, or some other high value target that's protected?

because CV players shouldn't be more important than anyone else on their team by default

yaay fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 26, 2015

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
How about giving planes fuel... so they can't hover over a DD the entire match.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Carriers should also probably burn like a motherfucker. More chance and more damage.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

yaay posted:

e ^ this is an arcade game, historicity is completely irrelevant beyond maintaining enough of a facsimille to not break immersion

because CV players shouldn't be more important than anyone else on their team by default

This is what I was getting at. The CV player is by default the most important member of their team.

Another idea to prevent hovering and all would be to make AA grow in effectiveness the longer you hang out in its range. It would reward minimizing exposure and plotting paths that avoid flying over too many other ships to force the CV to strike flanks or isolated targets.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Bitter Beard posted:

Not saying some CV changes are not needed, but with WW2 the rise of air power the most powerful thing anybody had ever seen.

Look at what took down all the big major ships of the war, all air power. If the game is based somewhat on reality, planes are going to be a huge pain in the rear end of it.

Like somebody said maybe add in wider turning angles and maybe not such perfect straight torp lines when planes are under fire from a ship will definitely mitigate their complete superiority.

Yeah, the huge counter-argument to this is that this game isn't particularly based on reality, or you'd get like twenty destroyers showing up on your side when the other side brings a battleship.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Gort posted:

Yeah, the huge counter-argument to this is that this game isn't particularly based on reality, or you'd get like twenty destroyers showing up on your side when the other side brings a battleship.

Also the Battleships would mostly hang out and bombard shore targets while accomplishing little else.

I mean, we're playing a game that casts Hotel Yamato as a super-ship when the thing couldn't hit poo poo and mostly sucked and died.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Night10194 posted:

I mean, we're playing a game that casts Hotel Yamato as a super-ship when the thing couldn't hit poo poo and mostly sucked and died.

To be fair, if Kurita's morale had been higher it might have killed like, four CVEs before Taffy 1 or 2's destroyers killed it.

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

I don't even know what the fuck I'm doing!!
Sounds like this is more 'i'm going to bitch and cry online about this loving game' while they constantly play it whether wargaming.net makes a change at all.

Sorry to interrupt, going to go get my CV on while the getting is, relatively easy.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Bitter Beard posted:

Sounds like this is more 'i'm going to bitch and cry online about this loving game' while they constantly play it whether wargaming.net makes a change at all.

Sorry to interrupt, going to go get my CV on while the getting is, relatively easy.

Did you know that people sometimes talk to each other, and complain to each other, for no real purpose at all?

I don't play this game anymore so I don't care. If you do want carriers changed, make a giant post in the forums about dpm or some poo poo. I managed to get DD torpedo reloads cut down with one so you can too.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I enjoy the game a lot. CVs are a flaw in the game, but not a fatal one. And when you do catch one of the insufferable little shits it's fun to burn him down while he bleats for his team to save him.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
People bitch and complain about Arty in WoT too. Not surprising.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Night10194 posted:

The CV player is by default the most important member of their team.

No it isn't :confuoot: A carrier is not remotely capable of taking on and defeating a whole team, and I've only rarely seen them contribute to the team grossly more than any other ship, certainly never to the point of high calibre. There are plenty of ways to deal with carrriers, like how a large number of capital ships are so short and the torpedo spread so wide, that you can only guarantee 1 torpedo hit, 2 at the absolute most, from the Japanese squadrons on the Hosho and Zuiho. A Langley/Bogue/SC/Wyoming/New York sailing in a straight line can actually dodge 6 of the 8 torpedoes in a Hosho strike or 9 of 12 from a Zuiho, no matter how well you place them. It takes about 2-3 complete air strikes to sink a battleship, complete with flight time and reload time, which is plenty of time to do something about it. Trying to attack up tier leads to all the planes being shot down very rapidly too, by cruisers, battleships and even carrier AA - the New York in particular brutalises tier 4 and stock tier 5 bombers.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 26, 2015

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

PerrineClostermann posted:

Prior to the succession of major nerfs artillery was similarly over-performing. It remains a terrible game mechanic that somehow manages to be unfun for both the person playing it and playing against it.

So yeah, kinda like carriers!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Warbadger posted:

Prior to the succession of major nerfs artillery was similarly over-performing. It remains a terrible game mechanic that somehow manages to be unfun for both the person playing it and playing against it.

Yeah, this is the other problem. The guy I play with likes to play CVs sometimes, and well, sometimes he's just uptiered or a shitload of the enemy are Clevelands against his Bogue, and suddenly the game's also poo poo for the CV player. This is what I mean whenever I say that CVs feel like they either get free reign (other guy is also primarily Strike and you're in the right tiering, or the other team doesn't get a CV, or you get 2 to their 1 and you're higher tier) or they're totally shut down, with no real happy medium.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

jownzy posted:

How about giving planes fuel... so they can't hover over a DD the entire match.

AA fire should ramp up over time. Every X seconds you spent in an AA zone should increase it's damage.

People bitch about high reward, low risk gameplay.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Xae posted:

AA fire should ramp up over time. Every X seconds you spent in an AA zone should increase it's damage.

Aircraft damage taken not resetting after leaving an AA bubble would help too.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Warbadger posted:

I played before those nerfs, and arty wasn't particularly absurd except when a map featured a chokepoint where both sides had to sit and wait.

Xae posted:

There's a lot of that in this game, and that's the current meta.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Xae posted:

Otherwise known as "sailing in a light cruiser"

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
NTRabbit how are you so consistently wronger about this game than you ever were about tanks I genuinely don't understand

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
I think the NTRabbit hate usually goes overboard, but "I've only rarely seen them (carriers) contribute to the team grossly more than any other ship, certainly never to the point of high calibre" is just lol.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yeah, Cruisers are generally quite balanced and fun. The Cleveland's a little nuts, but even that thing can be cored out pretty easily if you shoot well in a BB.

One thing I've found that's super fun about the Furutaka is that DD drivers seem to be bad at avoiding high velocity shells and a single volley's enough to put down a Minekaze.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Night10194 posted:

Yeah, Cruisers are generally quite balanced and fun.

One of these is correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

I played before those nerfs, and arty wasn't particularly absurd except when a map featured a chokepoint where both sides had to sit and wait.

There's a lot of that in this game, and that's the current meta.

Old school arty before the accuracy, shell travel time, splash radius, and splash damage nerfs was amazing. Like you could bean T-50s weaving at full speed reliably across 3/4s of the map amazing. The first nerf after the end of beta was actually to reduce silver income for damage with spgs because anyone with a grasp of leading a target and how to use the reticle right was making gigantic piles of money.