Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

jojo's bizarre adventure
kill la kill
parasyte
chaika
?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Sinking Ship posted:

So I'm looking for a actiony / well-animated / MC curbstomping fools like a badass while dramatic music plays type anime. Because that's fun right ? Outting myself as having horrible taste here's a few things I've watched recently that are up that alley:
Unlimited Blade Works
Fate/Zero
Aldnoah.Zero (first season anyway)
Attack on Titan
No Game No Life
SAO S1
Overlord

Also not going to lie I have a low tolerance for overly confusing / incomprehensible narratives, huge amounts of filler, older animation styles (never really watched anime as a kid so it looks weird as hell to me when everything isn't all modern and polished looking), and massive tearjerkers. Like I dropped Tokyo Ghoul because the plot was too confusing, gross, and filled with emotional gutpunches. Dropped Akame ga Kill for similar reasons.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Jojo
Gurenn Lagann

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Torquemadras posted:

Holy poo poo K-On is such a ridiculously feelgood show

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Sinking Ship posted:

So I'm looking for a actiony / well-animated / MC curbstomping fools like a badass while dramatic music plays type anime.

Sakurazuka posted:

If you haven't seen Sword of the Stranger or Redline start there.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Sinking Ship posted:

So I'm looking for a actiony / well-animated / MC curbstomping fools like a badass while dramatic music plays type anime. Because that's fun right ? Outting myself as having horrible taste here's a few things I've watched recently that are up that alley:
Unlimited Blade Works
Fate/Zero
Aldnoah.Zero (first season anyway)
Attack on Titan
No Game No Life
SAO S1
Overlord

Also not going to lie I have a low tolerance for overly confusing / incomprehensible narratives, huge amounts of filler, older animation styles (never really watched anime as a kid so it looks weird as hell to me when everything isn't all modern and polished looking), and massive tearjerkers. Like I dropped Tokyo Ghoul because the plot was too confusing, gross, and filled with emotional gutpunches. Dropped Akame ga Kill for similar reasons.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

FMA Brotherhood
Gurren Lagann

Technically Bleach is all about that badass music with style. Just watch Bleach till you get bored since there's a point where everyone drops it.

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
look forward to one punch man next season i guess

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

chaika
shingeki no bahamut
gundam build fighters

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Thanks for all the recommendations guys, working on Gurren Lagann now, it's a lot of fun, and I'll defiantly check out those movies when I can figure a way to get my hands on them.

I have seen Chiaka and Parasyte but I'll have to check out all these other shows. Is Jojo really that good? I've been sort of avoiding it just since it looks so drat weird.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
The first half of the first season of JoJo that I've seen is pretty great. You tell me after this :v: http://imgur.com/gallery/NeqTukk

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

All of Jojo is pretty good, but I would say Phantom Blood and especially Battle Tendency are better than Stardust Crusaders.

I really don't like Jotaro, he is not interesting at all. But the rest of Stardust Crusaders is good!

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Yare yare daze

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Mors Rattus posted:

All of Jojo is pretty good, but I would say Phantom Blood and especially Battle Tendency are better than Stardust Crusaders.

I really don't like Jotaro, he is not interesting at all. But the rest of Stardust Crusaders is good!

Man I'm on board with anyone who prefers Battle Tendancy (though I think they're pretty equal-but-different) but Phantom Blood is just weak compared to the rest of the series even if it has some great moments.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I haven't read the comics, just seen the show.

And I really enjoyed Petty rear end in a top hat Vampire Dio.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Parts 1, 2, and 3 are all good.

Parts 1 and 2 benefit the most from the adaptation however, whereas Part 3 suffers.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

1 and 2 are more traditional, if fantastic, story based anime. SC is shounen through and through, and it's both doing new things for the series and doing things that many many many series would copy, so it doesn't feel quite as fresh. I love it, and I loved following it week to week, but it's not something I wanna sit down and blow through on a lark like I would Part 1 and 2.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

jojo is one of the best animes full stop, especially battle tendency

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Seconding that. Stardust Crusaders has an incredible amount of awesome and iconic scenes, but it's too episodic for my tastes, and I don't think the fight scenes have very good animation (with the occasional exception). Phantom Blood isn't very interesting, but it's got a great antagonist, and I think it's totally worth powering through just to continue right away with Battle Tendency (not to mention several ingenious uses of Roundabout). Battle Tendency is just plain fun, especially coming from Phantom Blood! It has really freaky opponents, and one of the most entertaining protagonists I've ever seen in anime.

TL;DR: watch Phantom Blood (it's short), continue with Battle Tendency!

P.S.: I'd also like to give to protocol that Ping Pong is goddamn incredible. It's gorgeous, stylish, and downright inspiring. And I don't even care for table tennis. Another instant top tier anime for me. Also, one of the best final "battles" I've ever seen (arguably, there's two, and both are great)!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I enjoyed Stardust Crusaders, overall, just not certain parts. (Mostly: I wanted the Petshop fight to be more barking, less talking, and I wanted Jotaro to be more of a person. If he'd acted like the Jotaro Polnareff and Joseph described in the first Oingo Boingo episode, that would be great. But he's just a stoic wall of silence who has no character development and barely any character.)

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Mors Rattus posted:

I enjoyed Stardust Crusaders, overall, just not certain parts. (Mostly: I wanted the Petshop fight to be more barking, less talking, and I wanted Jotaro to be more of a person. If he'd acted like the Jotaro Polnareff and Joseph described in the first Oingo Boingo episode, that would be great. But he's just a stoic wall of silence who has no character development and barely any character.)

I think it's a recurring joke that he's actually a lot like his good ol granddad but tries too hard to be cool most of the time. Or maybe that's just my wishful thinking to make him a better character.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The second half of Stardust Crusaders more or less makes up for the first, in my opinion. I liked Battle Tendency more but I was totally into SC by the end.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I believe Araki confirmed in an interview somewhere (not that I have it on hand) that whenever Jotaro isn't saying anything he's always trying to think of cool stuff to say, which was always something I think most of us half-expected.

Jotaro actually has a lot more going on under the hood than he lets on about, but a lot of it is revealed in very subtle ways. Typically speaking, most manga characters are a fountain of emotions, sometimes even with dialogue dedicated solely to clarifying those emotions while they're expressing them. Because of this, by comparison, it's easy to just write Jotaro off as a brick wall when really he's just a quiet guy. It's even easier with the anime, since standardized character designs means Jotaro's stone cold default expression is on the screen 99% of the time without anything in the way of nuance. It's one of those things that even with the advent of the anime pushes me to recommend the manga over it, since Araki's style communicates a lot that gets lost in conversion.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I really like the first half of Stardust Crusaders and it was sort of weird how many people trash talked it when the anime was airing. I enjoyed stuff like the Steely Dan and Yellow Temperance fights more than some of the Egypt fights, personally.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I love all the fights. I didn't initially, I'll admit, but over the course of rereading the series (several times) I've definitely come to appreciate all of them. Even the weaker ones.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
So my two go-to manga reading sites are kissmanga and batoto, but batoto is poo poo garbage on mobile. Is there an app that makes it remotely readable without having to resize every single page? I don't use it very often, but for cases where a given chapter on kissmanga is a nonsense translation, I switch to batoto. I just started my hero academia and the first chapter on kissmanga is unreadable, but it takes longer to resize the pages on batoto than to read the drat thing. Any help would be appreciated, I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Note 3(android).

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I think the best course of action is to drop whatever you're doing and read all of JoJo, right now. Weirdly enough, I often had the impression that many action scenes don't really work, because everyone just talks so much! I really don't mind when it's in comic form, but it gets quite ridiculous in animation. JoJo seconds run on Freeza time. All the sheer insanity and ingenious back-and-forth from the manga doesn't translate that well to an action-packed anime, if you ask me.

Uuuuuh, and this is the anime thread, so... further impressions! I feel just like rambling on about the shows I've been recommended so far, maybe someone knows more to suggest. :v:

I watched the second season of K-On!! (two exclamation marks, to confuse the uninitiated into thinking there's only one). Nice, and some major feels towards the end, but they didn't get to the big stages :( I'd totally watch an anime about them trying to make it as an actual band, but I guess the focus is on highschool shenanigans. Oh well!
Steins;Gate is weird. I reached the point where I stopped during my last attempt ( "My time travelling has erased moe from Akihabara?!" good. ) and powered through. I like how there's paranoia seeping in everywhere, now that our main dude slowly realizes he's basically piling mistakes on top of each other. I'm constantly annoyed at half the female cast (biker girl is cool tho), but it's funnier than I remember. There's something inherently funny for me about adorably dumb bullshit artists who get called out on it constantly (see: super-great show Space Dandy).
Took a while, but I'm hooked.
Haibane Renmei is... slow? On episode 5. Given how short it is, I might as well just power through, but it feels kinda uncompelling to me. No-one seems to have a drive to do anything. I expect things to go wrong/more interesting, but it's been 5 episodes, so... not sure.

Let's see where this goes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Torquemadras posted:

I think the best course of action is to drop whatever you're doing and read all of JoJo, right now. Weirdly enough, I often had the impression that many action scenes don't really work, because everyone just talks so much! I really don't mind when it's in comic form, but it gets quite ridiculous in animation. JoJo seconds run on Freeza time. All the sheer insanity and ingenious back-and-forth from the manga doesn't translate that well to an action-packed anime, if you ask me.

Uuuuuh, and this is the anime thread, so... further impressions! I feel just like rambling on about the shows I've been recommended so far, maybe someone knows more to suggest. :v:

I watched the second season of K-On!! (two exclamation marks, to confuse the uninitiated into thinking there's only one). Nice, and some major feels towards the end, but they didn't get to the big stages :( I'd totally watch an anime about them trying to make it as an actual band, but I guess the focus is on highschool shenanigans. Oh well!
Steins;Gate is weird. I reached the point where I stopped during my last attempt ( "My time travelling has erased moe from Akihabara?!" good. ) and powered through. I like how there's paranoia seeping in everywhere, now that our main dude slowly realizes he's basically piling mistakes on top of each other. I'm constantly annoyed at half the female cast (biker girl is cool tho), but it's funnier than I remember. There's something inherently funny for me about adorably dumb bullshit artists who get called out on it constantly (see: super-great show Space Dandy).
Took a while, but I'm hooked.
Haibane Renmei is... slow? On episode 5. Given how short it is, I might as well just power through, but it feels kinda uncompelling to me. No-one seems to have a drive to do anything. I expect things to go wrong/more interesting, but it's been 5 episodes, so... not sure.

Haibane Renmei's slow because it's written like each episode is a chapter in a single book (At least that's how it feels to me). The next episode's the one where things start getting good though.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

watch the k-on ovas and movie

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Torquemadras posted:

Yeah, stay with it, it's very worth it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That said I feel the "point" of Haibane Renmei is pretty self-evident by the second or third episode.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Davincie posted:

watch the k-on ovas and movie

I can't bring myself to disagree with this notion, because it's still an absurdly feelgood show and your avatar has those angry veins popping out, you don't mess with those guys

But how much more K-On can there be! How much more will you demand from me?

HOW MUCH MOE, I ASK

:v:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Haibane Renmei's slow because it's written like each episode is a chapter in a single book (At least that's how it feels to me). The next episode's the one where things start getting good though.

I'm all for shows that reward patience, I'm just not very hopeful! But if it's recommended all over the place, I'll keep at it.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Torquemadras posted:

Steins;Gate is weird. (...) I like how there's paranoia seeping in everywhere, now that our main dude slowly realizes he's basically piling mistakes on top of each other. (...)

Sounds like you're almost to the point where the series really takes off.

And yeah, Okabe going insane is the best. Such as the moment that requires playing the VN youtube: (massive spoiler for episode 14) During the infinite death loop, there is a still image of her turned into a jelly... Not a metaphor, it actually happened: during one cycle, Okabe has her hide and while he's still checking the escape route he gets an email with that picture attached. CERN kidnapped her, flew her to France and then shoved her in the LHC just to gently caress with his mind. Best antagonists ever.

:unsmigghh:

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 24, 2015

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Torquemadras posted:

I can't bring myself to disagree with this notion, because it's still an absurdly feelgood show and your avatar has those angry veins popping out, you don't mess with those guys

HOW MUCH MOE, I ASK

I'm all for shows that reward patience, I'm just not very hopeful! But if it's recommended all over the place, I'll keep at it.

Yeah, you're not alone man. I am in the same exact position with Haibane. Same episode too. I'll slog through it but I just don't see how it becomes worth it. I'll let it surprise me though.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Torquemadras posted:

HOW MUCH MOE, I ASK

K-on.....is good

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Honestly, I really enjoyed Haibane Renmei, but fundamentally it's not an action packed show. There's an interesting mystery behind it, and the ending is pretty interesting, but don't expect anything like Madoka in terms of it being chill then going to insanely awesome and filled with action.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Finished Steins;Gate and Haibane Renmei.

Haibane Renmei was nice. Not much of a mystery, in my opinion, but... pretty chill, I guess. A nice, relaxed story about suicide? Seems very likely to me and, uuuuh, chilling in a town. To be honest, I didn't feel like there was much of a point to anything. That's the most I can say about it, I guess.

Steins;Gate, then again...
It's bad.
Sorry.
The story is alright, I guess. Time jump shenanigans are cool, and seeing Okabe freak out over all those dead Majuris/Kurisus was interesting. One of the few serious scenes that stuck with me was Moeka going batshit insane over her phone while Okabe keeps the door shut. And to my honest surprise, that Ruka fellow actually had an okay story to go - felt bad for him in the end! And I guess Suzuha is entertaining for her dystopia habits and being surprisingly competent. Daru's funny, too. And really, the banter between Okabe and Kurisu felt like the absolute highlight of the show.
But I'm kind of disappointed they didn't go ALL out with the exploration of time travel. They just dismiss the possibility of time paradox, when that's EXACTLY what I want to know more about ("Oh yeah, guess that would be bad"), the whole divergence thing felt kind of contrived (what does and doesn't divergence govern? Only people dying? WHAT) and it was frustrating that they didn't experiment all that much in the beginning.
And then, many characters are just plain bad. I couldn't listen to that loving catgirl. I got annoyed with Moeka's schtick REALLY fast. Mayuri got painful to listen to. Etc., etc.

But the by far worst thing, for me: it looks boring. Static. Grey. I just plain didn't enjoy looking at it after a while. They didn't do anything interesting with smart phones, although they're so incredibly prevalent ("let's look at the box in my hand again and narrate what there is!"). Sound too - I can't loving stand cicadas anymore. This sure isn't an action show, and that's perfectly fine, but I think they botched framing the dialogue, and what little action it had was ridiculous. (Braun shooting Moeka & then himself was kind of hilarious, as was Suzuha's offscreen kungfu...)

Still, I watched 24 episodes of it, because I'm normally a sucker for timetravel shows that close all the loops and make things click, but... eh. This show didn't get nearly as dark as I thought it would, and it looked uninteresting. Okabe's a great main character, but he just couldn't carry the rest.

...anybody got some ridiculously energetic anime to recommend? :sigh:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kemonozume

Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt

Mind Game

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
A big reason I prefer the Steins;Gate VN is that visually it's a whole lot more interesting as it's got this whole water color/texture thing going on.

However I think most of your complaints are dumb and Steins;Gate is actually great!

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Torquemadras posted:

...anybody got some ridiculously energetic anime to recommend? :sigh:

FLCL

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

This.

Redline, Gurren Lagann and Ping Pong also if you haven't seen them?

Black Lagoon as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Kemonozume

Yes

Sakurazuka posted:

Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt

YES

Nate RFB posted:

However I think most of your complaints are dumb and Steins;Gate is actually great!

No

That Works posted:

Redline, Gurren Lagann and Ping Pong also if you haven't seen them?
Black Lagoon as well.

Seen all of those, actually, I totally forgot to list Gurren Langan earlier!
Didn't like Black Lagoon though - a friend hyped it to hell and back, telling me how they kill a helicopter with a boat, and then I get to that scene...
And it's just a cackling villain flying in the same spot like an idiot in front of the only ramp-shaped rock in the entire swamp, refusing to follow the boat because he likes hunting or some poo poo, drawn out to what felt like eternity
How do you gently caress up a boat killing a helicopter?!
Didn't watch it since, honestly not sure I wanna.

• Locked thread