Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
They also added new wizard subtypes in almost every single Essentials book, and all of them had full AEUDs save the Bladedancer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
And the Bladedancer still counts despite being among the worst goddamn classes in the game because why the gently caress wasn't it a Swordmage subclass?

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Kurieg posted:

They also added new wizard subtypes in almost every single Essentials book, and all of them had full AEUDs save the Bladedancer.

What's an AEUD, again? I must have forgotten.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

AweStriker posted:

At-Will, Encounter, Utility, Daily.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

AweStriker posted:

At-Will, Encounter, Utility, Daily. The basic power format for 4E classes which Essentials decided to ignore.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Stands for the power types you have access to: At-will, Encounter, Utility, Daily.

Edit: Beaten soundly.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

AweStriker posted:

Like others said, they stand for the main power types. But mostly they're notable because almost all the essentials characters (Save the wizard) are missing one or more of those letters.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
Actually, a fair number of Essentials classes have the AEDU power structure.

Hexblades, Sentinels, Warpriests, Berserker, Protector, Skalds, and Vampires all have the AEDU structure, even if most of them don't have much choice in what they get.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Bladesinger owns because it shows a) just how ignorant the Essentials designers were of 4e design, b) how lazy they were, and c) provides a GREAT look into the future that would be 5e.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The swordmage has a LOT of dragon articles devoted to trying (and mostly failing) to fix its lovely power selection because for whatever reason wotc could not allow wizards and fighters to mix into the same class.

The bladesinger being a wizard subclass just adds insult to injury.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:
Noob question regarding multiclassing:

If I take the feat "Defender of the Wild" this gives me access to the Warden. I then get the option of choosing from feats otherwise restricted to only Wardens, as well as my own class. Does this mean that as I am now a Warden, I can choose skills (At-Wills, Encounters etc) from the Warden class too?

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Noxin of Shame posted:

If I take the feat "Defender of the Wild" this gives me access to the Warden. I then get the option of choosing from feats otherwise restricted to only Wardens, as well as my own class. Does this mean that as I am now a Warden, I can choose skills (At-Wills, Encounters etc) from the Warden class too?

You only get access to feats and paragon paths as well as whatever class features come with the specific multi-class feat when you multi-class, though you can swap out some of your powers through a feat whose name escapes me at the moment.

Edit: looks like they're called "Novice Power" (Encounter Swap), "Adept Power" (Daily Swap), and "Acolyte Power" (Utility Swap). You can only access these feats once you reach certain levels, though (4, 10, and 8 respectively if I'm reading the character builder right), but they allow you to swap any power of your level or lower once you pick it.

Mecha Gojira fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Aug 25, 2015

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

No, multiclassing in 4e allows you to do the following things
  • Pick up feats from the class you multiclassed into
  • Pick up class-specific paragon paths
  • With the use of a feat (Novice power for encounters, Acolyte Power for Utilities, Adept Power for Dailies), swap out one of your powers with another equivalent class.
  • Be able to go for paragon multiclass for an encounter power, utility power and daily power from your multiclass (Don't do this, its a terrible option vs. all the other amazing paragon paths)

You don't get to pick up the powers on demand, as theres a few ways that can get degenerate very quickly.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Aug 25, 2015

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Noxin of Shame posted:

4e is fairly strict about silo'ing class powers into the intended class without massive investment. That means cherry-picking is basically impossible but the upside is that classes are allowed to be internally balanced instead of having to balance every single power against every single other power in the game. If you really want to mix and match powers, you need to look into hybrids, but I would ask the thread about that before diving in if you really wanted to do it. Hybrids are usually more trouble than just reflavoring powers to taste.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:
Sweet, thanks for the quick replies. I though as much, just didn't want to plan out a path and find out later I could have done all this other weird stuff relatively easily.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

To be fair to WOTC, paragon multiclassing was from PHB1, back before they realized just how much of your character identity was tied up in your paragon path, and back before some classes had good paragon options *coughsoulthiefcough*

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

berenzen posted:

No, multiclassing in 4e allows you to do the following things
  • Pick up feats from the class you multiclassed into
  • Pick up class-specific paragon paths
  • With the use of a feat (Novice power for encounters, Acolyte Power for Utilities, Adept Power for Dailies), swap out one of your powers with another equivalent class.
  • Be able to go for paragon multiclass for an encounter power, utility power and daily power from your multiclass (Don't do this, its a terrible option vs. all the other amazing paragon paths)

You don't get to pick up the powers on demand, as theres a few ways that can get degenerate very quickly.

You also count as that class for EDs and that power source for feats, EDs and PPs as well. Arguably you inherit the role, too.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hey guys, I can't really see if there's a better thread to ask this in, but can any of you tell me what that one undead DnD monster that's like, some kind of knight tied to an evil sword is called? I know that's rather vague, sorry. They retain their intellect and memories, I think. I'm pretty sure it isn't Death Knights.

I'm pretty sure it was featured in some issue of one of the 4e digital magazines, but I don't really want to re-read every issue.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Lurdiak posted:

Hey guys, I can't really see if there's a better thread to ask this in, but can any of you tell me what that one undead DnD monster that's like, some kind of knight tied to an evil sword is called? I know that's rather vague, sorry. They retain their intellect and memories, I think. I'm pretty sure it isn't Death Knights.

I'm pretty sure it was featured in some issue of one of the 4e digital magazines, but I don't really want to re-read every issue.

It's a Death Knight. The monster template is in MM1 if I remember right.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
There was an Ecology of the Death Knight article in the run-up to 4e.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
What do you do when a party may potentiaally be too well-oiled a machine to really make something hard for without just dipping into realms of the ridiculous territory like massively overr-huge numbers? As in, when you want to make the fights hard and memorable but don't want to just keep upping the numbers if they keep winning.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Unknown Quantity posted:

What do you do when a party may potentiaally be too well-oiled a machine to really make something hard for without just dipping into realms of the ridiculous territory like massively overr-huge numbers? As in, when you want to make the fights hard and memorable but don't want to just keep upping the numbers if they keep winning.

Alter the stakes in a way that doesn't rely on numbers. Hostages, timers, things that need to be regularly attended, etc. Make the assumption that monsters are all going to get splatted in short order, and then use them as distractions or as delays rather than as something that forces a losing condition.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Unknown Quantity posted:

I'd probably just convert some of the normal monsters in my encounters into elites. How good is this party? Can they handle one elite per party member as a normal encounter?

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Effectronica posted:

Alter the stakes in a way that doesn't rely on numbers. Hostages, timers, things that need to be regularly attended, etc. Make the assumption that monsters are all going to get splatted in short order, and then use them as distractions or as delays rather than as something that forces a losing condition.

This guy has the right of it. Throw things that can be negative fallout even if the party have technically won, and use terrain and hazards to interfere with their tactics. Memorable fights are rarely just memorable from being really hard -- they tend to be because of other crazy poo poo that goes down during the fight.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Unknown Quantity posted:

Apart from alternate win/loss conditions as said, bosses should get immunity/resistance to the stronger conditions (like Stun) and multiple initiatives. On-death effects for minions (i.e. exploding zombies) can hurt a lot, especially if you just make it auto-hit. Minion generators are pcool set pieces (like, a replicator churning out golems; it could have resist all 10 or something, but a skill check turns it off for a round at one DC and kills it at another DC). Strong control auras also help (i.e. Aura 5, start your turn in it and you're Dazed). Basically gently caress with the action economy (generally go for Daze just because Stun is really unfun in practice).

It might help to know the party comp/what builds are in play, and what level/tier you're in. At Epic the dm sorta has to cheat to compete with all the resources team PC has at its disposal.

wallawallawingwang
Mar 8, 2007

Unknown Quantity posted:

Might I also add to the other good suggestions here: Talk to your players about it. Just tell them they are great at coming up with well designed PCs and that you'll only be able to challenge them by throwing bigger numbers at them, which will probably resulting in slower grindier combat, and what do they want to do about it? If they are all super badasses maybe that's a sign to wind down the campaign? Maybe they'd prefer to respec their characters to be less optimal? Maybe they are fine with crazy huge over leveled combat encounters? However they answer, Effectronica's advice is golden and you should do that too.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

You might be thinking about the dread, a monster from the Forgotten Realms, although where it's covered in 4e I don't know.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Running a one-shot game for 3 first timers and 2 people with a little experience in about a week's time. Any thoughts on a good adventure?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
The OP sez:

dwarf74 posted:

The following are Goon-Recommended!

Level 1 - The Slaying Stone (Standalone "folder" adventure)
Level 2-4 - The Reavers of Harkenwold (from the Essentials DM's Kit)
Level 4-5 - The Cairn of the Winter King (from the Essentials Monster Vault)
Level 6-8 - The Madness at Gardmore Abbey (fantastic standalone box set)
Paragon Tier - Revenge of the Giants (Standalone hardcover)
Eberron - Seekers of the Ashen Crown

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I would honestly avoid any modules after you feel like you've sufficiently learned the game to do things on your own. Even the better ones tend to be "set-piece, super boring talky part or lovely meaningless skill challenge, setpiece."

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

P.d0t posted:

The OP sez:

The slaying stone is rather strange especially considering the titular object either has a decent chance of failing to work against the boss or requires a roll for no reason depending on if you read it RAI or RAW.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

That split the night

College Slice

P.d0t posted:

The OP sez:

Sorry, should have been clearer: single session one-shot, so all of these are way too long for a quick taste of D&D for the newcomers.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Sorry, should have been clearer: single session one-shot, so all of these are way too long for a quick taste of D&D for the newcomers.

Go buy a copy of Dungeon Delve, it's designed for that.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

My only issue with Dungeon Delve was that all the monsters in it used MM1 maths, or it would've been perfect.

The modules in general focused too hard on the easy stuff in 4e - any idiot can chuck five monsters in a dining room and call it an encounter - and not enough on plot and things you'd actually want a professional adventure designer for. I also felt that they horribly misjudged the amount of time 4e combats take - in my own campaigns I like to have maybe three encounters between significant plot advancements. So you might have an encounter where you fight some bandits who are attacking a caravan, another when you assault their camp, and a third fighting the bandit king, then that plotline is resolved. The way D&D 4e modules are designed you'd get given the quest, have twenty-five similar bandit-fighting encounters, then fight the bandit king, which is way too high a combat:plot ratio for me.

But yeah, get Dungeon Delve and the Monster Vault, take the dungeon from Dungeon Delve and swap the monsters for similar ones from Monster Vault. Done. Hell, a campaign where all you do is go to each Dungeon Delve and level up when you beat it with a bit of plot in between would be pretty drat good.

PS: Make sure you print power cards for your players.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

That split the night

College Slice

Gort posted:

My only issue with Dungeon Delve was that all the monsters in it used MM1 maths, or it would've been perfect.

The modules in general focused too hard on the easy stuff in 4e - any idiot can chuck five monsters in a dining room and call it an encounter - and not enough on plot and things you'd actually want a professional adventure designer for. I also felt that they horribly misjudged the amount of time 4e combats take - in my own campaigns I like to have maybe three encounters between significant plot advancements. So you might have an encounter where you fight some bandits who are attacking a caravan, another when you assault their camp, and a third fighting the bandit king, then that plotline is resolved. The way D&D 4e modules are designed you'd get given the quest, have twenty-five similar bandit-fighting encounters, then fight the bandit king, which is way too high a combat:plot ratio for me.

But yeah, get Dungeon Delve and the Monster Vault, take the dungeon from Dungeon Delve and swap the monsters for similar ones from Monster Vault. Done. Hell, a campaign where all you do is go to each Dungeon Delve and level up when you beat it with a bit of plot in between would be pretty drat good.

PS: Make sure you print power cards for your players.

I find the Delve encounters a bit too combat-only, but I did just find the old PREV2 and PREV3 LFR modules, which have a half-decent balance of combat/plot-fillable-space and are easy enough to tweak up to MM3 (courtesy of Masterplan).

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Yeah, I usually use Delve stuff if I've got a plot all worked out and just want a few combats to throw at my players to keep things interesting.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's a lot of DM tools in the OP and on the internet, so I guess I should specify what I want. I'm having all my players make their characters in D&DInsider's Character Creator. Then I'm printing out the CS's for my players along with encounter cards.

I'd like to upload the D&DI's character files onto the app (whatever it is) tell it to give me a "medium" encounter and do the rest from there, allowing me to kind of spruce it story wise how I see fit. I'd also like it to have a pseudo DM screen where it has all the normal rolls and stuff for combat on there. Is there anything that is like that you'd recommend, or a mix of things that all work together>

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Prison Warden posted:

It's a Death Knight. The monster template is in MM1 if I remember right.

Arivia posted:

You might be thinking about the dread, a monster from the Forgotten Realms, although where it's covered in 4e I don't know.

I was actually getting confused between Death Knight and Unrisen. Thanks anyway!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The PCs in my game are getting ready to enter the undead general's stronghold and show him who's boss, and I'm thinking of running that as a lair assault, since I haven't done one of those in a while.

Here's my idea for it:
The win condition is to kill the general. Other enemies spawn endlessly until he's out of the picture.
The map has several rooms, each of which features an unholy altar. When the general is reduced to below certain thresholds of his HP - 75%, bloodied and 25% - he teleports to an altar and starts regenerating, but only up to the last threshold. The party can hunt him down each time or they can start disabling altars.
Regular enemies are loads of minions or lower level enemies, but numerous. The general himself is an Elite enemy, Leader subtype. Probably about party level.
Enemies that are reduced to 0 HP have a 25% chance of being reduced to 1 HP instead, unless radiant damage finishes them off.
Most likely each altar room will also feature some kind of obstacle, hazard or trap, although I don't have anything in particular in mind yet.

Anyone who designed more lair assaults than I have (1 :v:) and can weigh in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I've done a lot more research, and what I'm looking for specifically is a Monster Encounter Designer that scales the levels for me, and gives me a list to pick from of monsters.