Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

loving aces.

Sorry about the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

VendaGoat posted:

Sorry about the car.

I keep imagining them trying to get it more than a few miles with it and laughing. That thing was fuuuuucked up, I'm mostly surprised they got it out of the area at all. I was planning on donating it to Make a Wish or something. Enjoy my garbage car, thieves!

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

McPantserton posted:

I keep imagining them trying to get it more than a few miles with it and laughing. That thing was fuuuuucked up, I'm mostly surprised they got it out of the area at all. I was planning on donating it to Make a Wish or something. Enjoy my garbage car, thieves!

Bonus, you can claim it on your insurance now.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

VendaGoat posted:

Bonus, you can claim it on your insurance now.

From the sound of things, the assessed cash value of the thing probably doesn't exceed her deductible.

Hang in there, and keep picturing them excitedly driving down the road while pieces of it fall off

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Was the car stolen while on the mechanic's property before they gave it back? Because that sounds like their insurance should be paying for it (and the deductible).

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

From the sound of things, the assessed cash value of the thing probably doesn't exceed her deductible.

drat YOU LOGIC!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Very awesome work, McPanterson! Wow!
I have a dumb question for any frequent cosplayers: How difficult is it to balance working full time and also making several elaborate costumes a year?
I work a PM 40 but never feel like I have enough time to read, let alone make chainmail or whatever.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Cat Hatter posted:

Was the car stolen while on the mechanic's property before they gave it back? Because that sounds like their insurance should be paying for it (and the deductible).

Yes! It was in their lot and they just left my keys in the car without letting me know or I would have gone to grab them. I'm going to try and get something out of it, even just my $500 writeoff. Their security footage didn't get anything useful, either. But at the worst case scenario if I get nothing, I already have another car lined up for myself at 0 cost thanks to some extremely good timing in my family's car purchasing plans, and I can afford to not have that $500 so it could be a LOT worse.

For relevant content, here is someone cosplaying as a car.

Inzombiac posted:

Very awesome work, McPanterson! Wow!
I have a dumb question for any frequent cosplayers: How difficult is it to balance working full time and also making several elaborate costumes a year?
I work a PM 40 but never feel like I have enough time to read, let alone make chainmail or whatever.

It is difficult IMO. I usually do 2 large projects a year, one challenging one like Arthas and one smaller but still fancy one (Diablo wizard this year). I work on them seriously for about 4 months apiece. I get bored really easily and unless I've had something stressful happen like my car getting stolen :v: I'm usually happier crafting while I chill and watch TV or whatever. I work about a 40 hour week too and it's definitely a lot all together, but if you are a good planner and start early enough I think it's do-able. I still play a weekly D&D game, go to a board game night, and usually go out on the weekends plus the cosplay work.

McPantserton has a new favorite as of 03:03 on Aug 25, 2015

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

McPantserton posted:

Yes! It was in their lot and they just left my keys in the car without letting me know or I would have gone to grab them. I'm going to try and get something out of it, even just my $500 writeoff. Their security footage didn't get anything useful, either. But at the worst case scenario if I get nothing, I already have another car lined up for myself at 0 cost thanks to some extremely good timing in my family's car purchasing plans, and I can afford to not have that $500 so it could be a LOT worse.

Oh. Oh this is called lawsuit time. Contact your insurance agency and a lawyer.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

VendaGoat posted:

Oh. Oh this is called lawsuit time. Contact your insurance agency and a lawyer.

An auto repair shop that leaves the keys in your car overnight in a place it is liable to get stolen doesn't sound like the type of place to pony up on settlements very quickly, court-ordered or not. She'd probably end up back in court before seeing a dime, and it would be in the form of a lien on their business that they'd never pay off anyway.

Definitely argue with their insurance though and do not take the first offer they give you. Go to some dealerships and have them give you estimates for a cash purchase of a similar vehicle and try your best to argue those numbers instead. They just might relent in order to get the matter closed quickly and that $500 could become $750 :coal:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

So she hires a lawyer on contingency. Let the lawyer worry about getting blood from a stone, because they loving will.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
It is entirely possible that it was the shop itself or at least one of the employees that took your car. I briefly worked in the office of a transmission shop that had just come under new management due to that kind of thing. Mechanics are hella shady.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

McPantserton posted:

In fact, I ran into her this weekend at a small con and I totally did tell her, she was really pleased. We even managed a few hallway pics together!

And I did a little shoot with one of my friends, I'll post some more when he finishes processing them but here's his preview:

I'm extra glad that it was a good cosplay weekend because I had my car in the shop (which ended up being unsalvageable) and apparently they left my keys in the car overnight and now my mostly-dead junker has been stolen. So my day today has been about 90% headache and 10% being excited for new cosplay photos. :gonk:

Great costume, but as an Arizona person, the very thing that came to mind when seeing those boots was "drat, that looks hot as hell!". :)

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

The Locator posted:

Great costume, but as an Arizona person, the very thing that came to mind when seeing those boots was "drat, that looks hot as hell!". :)

That's why you get one of these!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

SugarAddict posted:

That's why you get one of these!

An Adam Savage? :confuoot:

I'll admit he's quite handy.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

VendaGoat posted:

So she hires a lawyer on contingency. Let the lawyer worry about getting blood from a stone, because they loving will.
LOL if you think you can get a lawyer to take a contingency file where blue sky recovery is $500-$750, or alternately LOL at the Lionel Hutz who would actually take that case.

GSF is right though, you don't stand to lose much (but time) by haggling yourself with their insurance and threatening small claims or whatever.

codespace
May 3, 2011

McPantserton posted:

For relevant content, here is someone cosplaying as a car.

This looks about ten times better than the official ones in use at the Transformers attraction in Universal. The level of detail here is absolutely incredible.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

I can't get over those badass boots. The whole costume is great, but Arthas stomping around in boots like that is the one thing that stands out from WC3 for me. Nice work!

Depending on how heavy the cape is, a big fan could help it go all physicsy for that photoshoot you mentioned.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Kenny Logins posted:

LOL at the Lionel Hutz who would actually take that case.

Works on contingency? No, money down!

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

I know what my next cosplay will be.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

McPantserton posted:

Looking at doing running LEDs in the blade and possibly a RFID setup so it only lights up when I am holding it.

That's a neat idea. If you can wring the blade lighting, the "only lights while holding it" part will be no problem to add. There are cheaper options than RFID too.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
More of that Ladybeard dude:

Kakal
Mar 3, 2008

Plague Doctor - Darkest Dungeon

(Left to right)

Scooter, Lilith, Willhelm?, Handsome Jack - Borderlands series

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

McPantserton posted:

In fact, I ran into her this weekend at a small con and I totally did tell her, she was really pleased. We even managed a few hallway pics together!

Scizor?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

BattleCattle posted:

It's an action pose, I'll forgive it.

No, I was praising her trigger discipline, her finger isn't on it. But yeah, action pose, so if her finger was on it, that'd probably be alright too.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Anora posted:

Scizor?

Looks like Beetle from Spider-man

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Nah, it's totally Scizor.

PS. I got my car back!

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

McPantserton posted:

PS. I got my car back!

My condolences.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

McPantserton posted:

PS. I got my car back!

Dangit! How could this happen?

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

McPantserton posted:

PS. I got my car back!

See if they left any meth/crack/firearms! You may yet make a profit on having your car stolen!

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Magnus Praeda posted:

See if they left any meth/crack/firearms! You may yet make a profit on having your car stolen!

If you're going to keep it, see if the police will run a dog around it to check to see if anything got left there.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
At least you know how to get rid of it for free now

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Your car sucks so much even criminal don't want it for their chop shops.

E: Maybe Boomerjinks can make a recreated version now.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

McPantserton posted:

PS. I got my car back!

Is this good?

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
If the car got stolen on their lot, and it's possible to get it running semi-well again, you might be able to persuade/threaten them into fixing it for free.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

McPantserton posted:

PS. I got my car back!

Make it your next costume project

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

starkebn posted:

Make it your next costume project

Check out this guy's Captain America cosplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezarRcMKpVI

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

VendaGoat posted:

Is this good?

Financially, probably no! But in terms of getting all this headache out of my life, definitely yes. I'll take it.

Car is extra dead now though, whoever stole it killed the battery and now I also have to contest a parking ticket. :woop:

Here is a cosplay photo of a comparable quality to the state of my car:

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Are you sure? That optimus looks dead on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Whelp, now you have your car back you have the perfect vessel to start your Mad Max: Fury Road cosplay.

• Locked thread